You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mork77

Leander Tier VI CL

20 comments in this topic

[UHH]
Players
31 posts
3,157 battles

Hi, haven´t had to much luck with this ship. Got killed three times ( one shot deleted once, ouch) and in the battle i survived, everybody was mad at me, probably because i survived (we lost). 

I had three BBs and an italian CA in front of me in open water, kited in and out of gun ( and detection) range, got a few shots away, but could not cause much damage. Well, the BBs fired at me instead of my BBs ( who died anyhow) and missed me. 

What do people expect? die early so that no one is mad at you? I find it a little inacceptable to blame it on a CL made out of citadells when they lose the BB vs. BB duel. who kept spotting, btw.  

frustrating experience. I was just glad to survive (first time longer than 5 minutes) and keep spotting and harassing.

Get under 10km range, and you get citadelled on the spot. did not want to go through that a fourth time. 

Any ideas how to get better at this ship? 

smoke or no smoke? 

other ideas?

serious answers appreciated. please make fun elsewhere. Had enough of that for a day.

thought this is a game. guess i was wrong.

[SM0KE]
Players
8,197 posts
17,180 battles
18 minutes ago, Mork77 said:

Speaking as an appallingly bad cruiser player, Leander (and the rest of the RN CLs) isn't easy mode by any means; she's a good ship, but hard to do well with.

Whilst you probably want advice from the competent cruiser players, something that I found helped me be marginally less bad in the whole line was along the following lines:

• Play somewhat tubby DDs that have/need smoke; the Germans aren't a bad pick as they have hydro too, similarly to the RN CLs. What gets you killed in the RN CLs is being citadelled, so the idea here is to first learn how to integrate smoke, hydro, guns, and torps, but in something without a citadel.
  • Play less squishy cruisers, to get a better handle on what cruisers should be doing, and how to do it, but using a more robust platform. Make sure you make extensive use of AP, as that's the only thing you have with the RN CLs. You'll also probably get good at not showing anybody your broadside, which is another essential skill for the RN line.
  • Once you've got the hang of that lot, then start to apply the lessons to the RN CLs - hopefully, things will improve.

To be clear though: the British light cruisers are difficult to play well, and despite doing all the above, I still suck at them, by most rational standards...

• Cool 2

[NEXT]
Players
33,545 posts
16,935 battles
15 minutes ago, Mork77 said:

smoke or no smoke?

There is a reason this ship has smoke.

Without it, you are BB food.

• be aware of your surroundings
  • do not get spotted needlessly
  • use smoke when you have targets in range and someone is spotting for you
  • focus DD and then cruisers
  • BB are just targets of opportunity, when there is nothing better to shoot at
  • Cool 5

[LUZ1]
Players
2,420 posts
16,929 battles

I love Leander, great ship!

But you have to combine 2 play styles: smoke up and kite away. 

Use the smoke up to support your DDs. Kite away when smoke is used up. 

What you do at game start is use your low detect range to get reasonably close but not too close. Smoke up and shoot up anything spotted, esp DDs. Then watch carefully when your smoke timer runs out. Try to not be spotted when smoke ends. So if red ships are close start moving away early and make sure you are angled properly to any BBs.

• Cool 5

[UHH]
Players
31 posts
3,157 battles

That is actually how I played her. Sort off. 

messed up with the smoke. And wasted it. 

but otherwise, that is how I played her. 

guess I had the right idea, just need to get better.

thanks for the positive input to all of you

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
982 posts

Leanders a good ship, all Brit cruisers have a high skill ceiling and I hate the original light cruiser tree being AP only, I have Mino and Goliath and play both totally differently I use radar Mino and go DD hunting, while Goliath (mini conq), he spams, using smoke makes you lazy and gives you a false sense of security, it’s very easy to counteract, support a BB, use island cover and your concealment, I actually used AA Leander and had a lot of joy.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
3,413 posts
11,434 battles

In Leander you kinda need to play safe at the start of the match in order to be effective later on in the match. A Leander isn't an early game match decider due to its bad armor. However, due to her heals and concealment she can be a game decider later on in the match once both teams have less players left. 

Positioning and repositioning is key. 

- Once you have figured out the enemies deployment, especially their bbs, you can position accordingly. 

- Use terrain to block the line of sight from enemy bbs on you. 

- When smoking up, be aware of possible torpedoes coming your way and ALWAYS have an escape route planned beforehand. 

- Use your great concealment and friendly DDs to ambush and kill enemy DDs. 

- know when to hold your fire! It isn't worth it to fire at a DD that spots you from 9km away if you get devastated in the process. It's also not worth it to die during a torp yolo unless it's a game deciding- or desperation move. 

- patience is key. Sometimes the match requires you to not shoot and reposition for 5 or so minutes, to be effective on the other side of the match. Bad players do not have this patience and will most likely die, good players do have patience and will be a great asset to their team in the later stages of the game. 

• Cool 6

Players
1,066 posts
6,026 battles

use smoke, play like dd with a citedel, bully smaller targets.

leander is a pos that should have special mm due to how bad it is.

edit=realised i mixed up leander and emerald

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
401 posts
5,377 battles
20 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

use smoke, play like dd with a citedel, bully smaller targets.

leander is a pos that should have special mm due to how bad it is.

Leander is a good ship. It has smoke, good stealth, good torpedoes, solid guns, a heal and good handling. Only downside is the terrible armour, but you're not exactly going to be tanking hits in any T6 cruiser except Graf Spee (and sometimes Aoba if you angle correctly)

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
6,551 posts
23,608 battles
5 hours ago, Mork77 said:

Play her like a Emerald with smoke?!?

On the other hand... a look at your stats shows a slight difference between "skill" and "chosen tier of battles".

Maybe (!) You should stay a bit longer in the depths of T3 to 4 to learn the basics? Like... doing damage? Dodging shells?

The average damage you do in all the different ships is... how to say it nicely... abysmal?

And then going to T6 and choosing to play one of the more edgy ships in the game... is... ambitious?!?

Skill comes with training and time. So spend the time in the lower tiers, until You see your stats getting better. If you continue to climb the ladder without the needed skill you won't see success...

• Cool 4

[VIBES]
Players
1,939 posts
26,118 battles
6 hours ago, Mork77 said:

smoke or no smoke? 

other ideas?

serious answers appreciated. please make fun elsewhere. Had enough of that for a day.

Smoke, naturally. What would you get for giving it up?

A fighter plane? Smoke is the best defense against CVs.

A spotter? You only fire AP, and you want to strike broadsides at a reasonable angle for it to do any damage. Range would only make it worse.

Judging by your numbers, you may be out of your depth against Tier 8 enemies, for now, but I'd hate to guess why and how.

I can offer you this replay of mine if you're interested, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q4VNhjpo0M, but it only shows what worked for me that one time, it doesn't explain why.

Same for the entire playlist on https://replayswows.com/site/index/sort/uploaded_at.desc/nation/3/type/3/level/6/ship/176/video/1/

If you want a play-by-play commentary of your game, with tips about concealment, overmatch, smoke firing penalty, target selection, positioning, angling, etc., you should upload the replay here. The last 30 or so replays should be saved in a folder in the game's main folder.

Cheers :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[UHH]
Players
31 posts
3,157 battles

there you go. 

replay goes the full length of the game. so be warned. 

10 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

The average damage you do in all the different ships is... how to say it nicely... abysmal?

aware of that. That is why i tier up. only go to a higher tier when i have collected the necessary XP. minimal use of free XP. no premium ships. so don´t worry, it will take a while until you see me with Tier 8 ships, not to mention higher. 

At least i have found the "shift" button and no longer scroll like in the beginning. sometimes progress is measured in small steps indeed. :) 

P.S. had the wrong replay attached. 

leaving the other one attached, since tocqueville summed it up so nicely. the one i meant was the two brothers. 

20211104_170234_PBSC106-Leander_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

20211103_173718_PBSC106-Leander_23_Shards.wowsreplay

[S-O-M]
Players
982 posts
7 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Smoke, naturally. What would you get for giving it up?

A fighter plane? Smoke is the best defense against CVs.

A spotter? You only fire AP, and you want to strike broadsides at a reasonable angle for it to do any damage. Range would only make it worse.

Oh yeah popping and relying on smoke is the best defence ??.   I’m sure a cvs not going to Kris cross the area with Torps, and if there’s no Green DD good luck in spotting for yourself / the team.

Best method is to try which consumable is best for you, I use Radar Mino because a shimi kept Torp spamming my smoke Mino (I had no counter),  next game exactly the same thing (spamming shimi), but this time I had a radar Mino, shimi lasted 10 seconds, if the op pops smoke and continues to fire I can guarantee that I’d still be able to hit/citadel him.   Given the Tier Leanders at you’d face T6 and T8 carriers,   by the time the op has slowed down to make use of smoke the cv (especially T8), would have already had one strike and by the time cv comes back for second strike op would be static and unable to avoid the incoming torps,attack is the best form of defence !.

Players
493 posts
5,494 battles

your more then maneuverable to dodge all BB shots so dont waste your smoke on anything then a big Fup situation

the difficult thing about the ship is that unlike all other cruisers your main target is actually DDs and cruisers, your job is not to farm BBs for easy risk free damage 

you can deal with BBs with your torps if you have to but your guns are not great at that 

it also need some skill as its AP instead of the typical braindead HE spam cruisers get used to 

• Cool 1

[-TAP-]
Players
558 posts
9,410 battles
14 hours ago, Mork77 said:

smoke or no smoke? 

As with the comment from @tocqueville8 above, smoke is the best option for the Leander. When you have  lot more experience and are using the tier 9/10 UK CLs there is an argument for swapping it out for radar, but that's a personal choice based on playstyle.  The trick with smoke is using it at the right time, right distance from enemy and staying aware that torps are often going to be incoming after around a minute, so expect them and have the ship oriented well and ready to move if necessary.  Don't smoke up if you're the front line ship as it just means everything on your side is going to be blinded.

General rules of light cruisers is to support your destroyers and focus the enemy destroyers where possible, to give you the spotting and capping advantage; other targets after that are other (preferably not angled) cruisers at medium range, and then battleships if there's nothing else to fire at. If you're in the open and there's only battleships to fire at, it often better not to fire at all.

• Cool 2

[-RNR-]
Beta Tester
1,835 posts
17,563 battles

TBh all CLs are in very bad place now. Ships is good (next one is amazing) but imho, current meta and changes killed the agressiv cap contesting style of RN CLs making them a bit obsolte now. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,418 posts
7,591 battles

Leander is a good ship. Unfortunately, she is quite difficult to play in tier 8 matchmaking, which is what you will see much of the time.

You need to play close to the enemy to be effective in British CLs, moving behind islands deploying smoke optimally, constantly keeping track of where the enemy battleships are. To be honest, I don't think you're going to do very well in Leander with around 300 matches in random battles, because playing the British CL line requires not just skill with light cruisers, but things like very good map awareness, knowledge of enemy ships, and just... experience. And all of that takes time to develop.

Don't feel discouraged. If you do feel it's too hard, just take a slightly easier line, like kiting cruisers, and get back to the Leander when you have more mid-tier/high-tier random battles under your belt.

• Cool 2

[VIBES]
Players
1,939 posts
26,118 battles
2 hours ago, Mork77 said:

1) Take Concealment Expert as soon as possible.

If you can get it now using free XP, or blowing a few million credits on new captains, then dismissing them (about 1M credits for 10k free cpt xp), then do so.

2) Your torps were alright, in fact I'm surprised you hit the Hsienyang.

3) Both of your smokes were pointless. Slow down before dropping them, in fact slow down when you approach a contested area in general (you might be spotted at any moment), then smoke up, hydro up, then farm. Only leave the smoke if you must to avoid torpedoes. Even so, if you angle properly against them (you should know where the DD is, more or less), it should be enough to move just a bit, so that you can simply reverse back into the smoke afterwards.

4) You didn't help your Akatsuki dealing with the enemy Shiratsuyu to the North, despite him calling for it. Every time you see a red triangle appear on the minimap near you, consider switching to him (unless you're about to finish off someone else).

5) There wasn't necessarily much you could do against some higher-tier BBs determined to push, but you just applied no pressure to their team, other than that torp on the Hsienyang. The Leander isn't a kiter, unlike the Aoba or the Pensacola. Lack of HE means you have to stay close-ish and let them have it from your smoke. Then leave before they come within your detection range, unless you're confident you can get the kill. Then smoke up again. Etc.

• Cool 1

[UHH]
Players
31 posts
3,157 battles

i posted the wrong replay :) 

guess that was the one where i got deleted by the scharnhorst. 

but thanks for taking a look at it. Will keep your ideas in mind. 

once again, thanks to all for the tons of useful information! 

After looking at my own replay ( two brothers) 

1. took to long to decide firing. doesn´t feel like that in game, but i could have opened fire more often and sooner. 

2. wasted some of my smoke, again. using it wrong. 

2a. ineffective fire on the DDs

3. should have concentrated on the Trento instead of getting focused on the Queen Elisabeth, definitely chose the wrong target. when i finally turned towards the Trento, the Ismail deleted it. should have focussed earlier. 

4. in the end game, once again, did not throw enough at the wall. should have fired more often, drawing the BB return fire to me.  

5. the torpedoes in the end were completely pointless. no chance a colorado can close the gap, even if going at full speed.  

Beta Tester
6,551 posts
23,608 battles
6 hours ago, Mork77 said:

aware of that. That is why i tier up. only go to a higher tier when i have collected the necessary XP. minimal use of free XP. no premium ships. so don´t worry, it will take a while until you see me with Tier 8 ships, not to mention higher.

Nope, wrong way around... get that damage doing fixed first, THEN go to higher tiers ;)

Chances to do more damage by just going up the tier ladder are very slim to non-existent. I can assure you of that, as it's my main problem, too... doing well below average damage in most of my higher tier ships. Sometimes I still manage to get at least okay-ish win% and end among the top 5 slots in the battle results so often ^^

Chances to meet me in T8 or higher were always slim, as I don't like the high(er) tier meta too much. Too static and boring. And with subs being tested in random battles and sure to hit the game for full scale soontm I'm battleing a lot more at T4 at the moment. Which is what I would advise you to do, too, as right now there's quite a few experienced spending time in the lower tiers - probably for the reason that I just mentioned, or just for sealclubbing - which would allow you to experience how more experienced players do battle.. and damage... and positioning... and all the other minor details.

You probably won't learn that in a T6 ship that gets upgraded into T9 battles often and is for the T8 BBs and Cruisers it meets then nothing but a nice tasty bunch of floating citadel... ;)

• Cool 1