Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Angry_Admiral

Soviet CV heads for the middle of the map.

24 comments in this topic

Players
166 posts
504 battles

Had a game where a Soviet CV player went to the middle of the map and hid behind a rock. I asked what he was doing and was told by another player it was strategy - the CV's planes were slow so he wanted to be closer. I mentioned that wasn't a good idea but was told I know nothing.

1 minute 30 seconds later that CV was killed by two DD's and a cruiser who torped it to death. I asked what happened and was told I need to learn how to play a CV. 

Was that really a smart move by that CV?

• Funny 5
  • Boring 1

[G-O-M]
Players
1,308 posts
11,847 battles

That's just the kind of reworked CV player :Smile_great:  we all want to see on the enemy team :Smile_teethhappy:.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[TACHA]
Players
577 posts
3,105 battles

Ehhh... kind off both...

Yes  - the Soviet CV's squadrons are hilariously slow and squishy so moving up is vital if you want a good turn around rate/DPM/ make the most of the RATO system.

No - moving to the middle of the map and parking behind a rock is a really dumb idea (hence what happened) unless the enemy team is camping their spawn.

It's kind'a a "Read the minimap and judge from allied/enemy ship movement where it is safe to go" situation, you want to be close(ish) but not too close and you need to be ready to scarper at a moments notice if the flank your on starts falling.

So ideally he should have been behind allied lines, in cover and close to team mates who could have supported him/ stopped the push before it got to him (and ran like hell the second any enemy ships broke the allied line)

At least that's my take on it.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
707 posts
13,652 battles
4 hours ago, The_Angry_Admiral said:

To some degree, it really is. Of course you shouldn't overdo it, and maybe the guy you mentioned judged it wrong.

The Soviet CV's have planes that only perform a single drop. You don't spend any time around the target to perform a second, or maybe even a third drop. So your distance to target equals your DPM more than in any other CV.

So even the CV unicums would go for more a bit more risky positions with the Soviet CV's. I would personally expect to lose the CV hull more often than with other nations' CV's. 

• Cool 1

[2PTS]
Players
349 posts
10,615 battles

Well...

It's the new playerbase that WeeGreedy wants. Throw their money to get tech tree ships that would be free in a month, no matter what

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,646 posts
4,067 battles

At least it's a variant of the former most stupid CV line ever to be uttered, at that time in response to a polite suggestion to move away from the oncoming enemy fleet: "You're new here, right? CV:s don't move. We've got planes." :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[STEEL]
Players
786 posts
9 hours ago, King_Of_The_Potatoes said:

CV dead in 90 seconds I see no issue with this.

Kinda 90 seconds too late for my taste.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
2,648 posts

They DUMBED DOWN THE CV so of course the players of the CV's are going to be ................ (Fill in the space yourself)

I have also seen this tactic in countless game and they die before the team even realises that they were actually in the game....

BABY !.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
154 posts

(YMMV, I will never claim to be an expert on CV play) What I do in my Serov is use rocket planes on whatever flank I spawn before i can figure out wether or not that flank is fucked before I use other squads
People sleep on the rocket planes ( I did too ). You get a shitload of them in a strike (potentially 24 rockets but unless you strike something with little/no AA, expect one plane to go down before you get an attack off) And they do a lot of damage. 37mm does not sound a lot but that's miles better than REEEyujo/Furious/Ranger can pull off.
And they're faster than the skip/torpedo bombers. Much faster

• Cool 3

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
984 posts
20,414 battles

90 secs?  Well the pixel boat lasted a lot longer that Russian CVs in real life.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
2,982 posts
25,033 battles
14 hours ago, The_Angry_Admiral said:

No it wasnt... obviously. 

Maybe CV player was a troll. (There are also some weirdos that play with full intend extremely bad, in hope WG buffs the class :cap_haloween: )

In rare cases you set up a course on the map, before the match starts and if you are not finished at the start, the map will collapse... it does pretty much the same thing if smb. pulls away your paper while you are writing.

This leads to some stupid waypoits without being the players fault (its his fault if he doesnt double check tho).  

[-LA-]
Players
747 posts
5,859 battles
14 hours ago, The_Angry_Admiral said:

Had a game where a Soviet CV player went to the middle of the map and hid behind a rock. I asked what he was doing and was told by another player it was strategy - the CV's planes were slow so he wanted to be closer. I mentioned that wasn't a good idea but was told I know nothing.

1 minute 30 seconds later that CV was killed by two DD's and a cruiser who torped it to death. I asked what happened and was told I need to learn how to play a CV. 

making no comment on how smart the move was if you watch the WG trailer they do suggest this is how the line is meant to be played

[ALONE]
Modder
2,387 posts
14,446 battles

The closer you are to the enemy, the more DPM your CV can put out. (unless you are so close the planes get shot down before reaching attack hight ofc)

So I'd rather park to the closest safe island then spend the battle waiting for planes to arrive.

If the enemy reaches my CV, the battle is usually decided anyway at that point, so I'm glad I'm leaving battle just in time. :Smile_trollface:

Players
832 posts
7,031 battles

Either his strategy sucks (because everyone knows that CVs are the prime target and if it pops up in their map, they'll just focus fire it to death) or he's an imperialist agent sent to tarnish the good name of Soviet CVs

• Funny 3

[-TAP-]
Players
485 posts
8,989 battles

As the actress said to the bishop, so long as you know when to pull out it should be fine.

Realistically, as a CV you want to be close enough that you can cycle your attacks as efficiently as possible, whilst also being safe from getting overrun (and given the crazy high spotting ability, you should get plenty of warning if that's happening, so you can get the hell out of Dodge). When it goes wrong, you end up with the scenario in the OP, where the CV just ends up being blapped.

• Funny 3

Players
3,036 posts
16,341 battles

I always try to be as close as possible in CV. Time is damage, especially with slow planes and even more so if you have only one attack on those slow squadrons. Evidently he has overdone it and misjudged the risk. Sometimes:etc_swear: happens.

Anyway, dead CV is good CV :cap_haloween:

[COOOP]
Players
1,971 posts
19 hours ago, King_Of_The_Potatoes said:

CV dead in 90 seconds I see no issue with this.

I do, it doesn't happen every game.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[UK-RN]
Players
623 posts
27,367 battles
19 hours ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

Well...

It's the new playerbase that WeeGreedy wants. Throw their money to get tech tree ships that would be free in a month, no matter what

You do realize that you can obtain T4 and T6 Russian CVs just by finishing the Aircraft Bureau Event? Hence no money needed.

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
984 posts
20,414 battles
17 hours ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

I do, it doesn't happen every game.

Careful it will end in a CV buff.

Sign in to follow this