Update 0.11.9 Release: Wednesday 5/10/2022 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheMasterDragon

Italian Battleships. RN Imperatore Augusto new design

6 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
10,632 battles

With the release of the Italian battleship line a few months ago, the italian tech tree is starting to resemble what a normal tech tree should be. Setting aside that the line could have been done a lot better (and I mean A LOT!) and that personally I don't like it how i hoped when it was announced and was a disappointment for many reasons, which I'll discuss at the end of this article, I want to talk to you about the ship that 2 years ago, I tought was the best candidate to be the regular tier X of the BB line, and with the sources found on the web, I redesigned using Photoshop in the best way I could. The Ferdinando Cassone battleship, which I renamed, Regia Nave Imperatore Augusto.

Since the actual regular tier X is the Cristoforo Colombo (based on the Edgardo Ferrati G1) it's quite obvious that the Ferdinando Cassone's battleship can't be the top of the line anymore, or rather the top of this line. Gathering enough material, the Imperatore Augusto could be the tier X of another line of battleships (which probably most of them would be only blueprints or even invented, but in WoWs this is not a problem, and I already have an idea of how it could be, but I'll talk about this in another occasion), or in the absence of such material, simply become a premium tier X battleship. There is something though that had me worried for quite some time regarding the Imperatore Augusto, and that is, its appearance. While I really liked the final result of the job I did, there were other players who (rightly) thought my model was not quite right, for example in the disposition of the secondary and AA armament, or in the shape of the aft deck, or also in the number of the funnels on the ship. At first I didn't give it too much importance, but soon after I realised that actually, it could have been done better. So I started thinking, what can I do to make it more realistic? After some time I decided to do a new model of this ship but for many reasons, including the pandemic, a lot of time passed before I could end it, and since the original model was quite successful in terms of popularity and I liked it very much (at the time I published my article on the forum, I was probably the first to make a WW2ish design of the Ferdinando Cassone project, since apart from my version, there were no others from the internet; the same happened for the Edgardo Ferrati G1 that I renamed Goffredo Mameli, the actual Cristoforo Colombo, but that's another story), I was pretty sure a new model wasn't all that much of a priority. But when the Italian BB line was announced and then revealed, as I mentioned at the beginning, my opinion drastically changed.

In the end, I completed the new version of my original model, a sort of upgrade in terms of realism, with the aim to send it to WG. I made various models of different ships and projects of the Italian Navy (which I plan to show on the forum in the future and maybe send them too to WG) and everyone of them was very hard but satysfying to do, personally I think that all of them are well done and quite realistic (speaking in terms of historical accuracy), and I like all of them, but this one, is my favourite, even better than the original one.

So, without further ado and thanking all of you for reading this introduction, here's my job completed. The New "Regia Nave Imperatore Augusto"!

2131446379_BBT.10-RNImperatoreAugusto.thumb.jpg.6ce584bac685aa4ed12876702abb86be.jpg

For those who are interested in the story of Ferdinando Cassone's battleship or have not seen my first article, here's the link to get some infos about this project, but remember, this article is the definitive one regarding the ship, not the original one!

As I already said, this is a redesign, most of the features it had in the original model such as dimensions, armor, engine power and main armament are obviously still the same, what has changed as you can see, is the shape of the super structure, the secondary guns and the AA defences layout, and the funnels. The main armament of the ship is still composed by 4 turrets with twin 456mm/46 guns, the largest caliber ever installed on an Italian ship. The secondaries are now composed by 2 types of guns, the 152mm/55 in 6 triple turrets that serve as normal anti-ship guns, and the 135mm/45 in 8 twin turrets which are used as dual purpose guns. And for last, the AA armament is made with 65mm/64 twin cannons and 37mm/54 autocannons in quadruple and twin configurations. The ship still possesses 2 catapults that can be used by a Scout or a Fighter. The armor belt is 456/350/150 mm, and the deck is 50+120 mm. The engine power is 216000 HP with a top speed of 31 knots, and the total weight is 65000 t.

Here's a summary of its features and of some values it could have in game:

• DIMENSIONS:                                        LENGTH:                           274,75 m

BEAM:                               40 m

• DISPLACEMENT:            65000 t
  • ARMOR BELT:                                        456 mm , 350 mm, 150 mm
  • DECK:                                                      MAIN:                                 50 mm

SECOND:                          120 mm

• HIT POINTS:                    93000
  • TORPEDO PROTECTION:                     45%
  • MAIN BATTERY:                                    456mm/46 OTO 1942          4x2

RATE OF FIRE:                       2,23 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                      27 s

ROTATION SPEED:               5 deg./s

180° TURN TIME:                  36 s

MAX AP DAMAGE:               15000

AP SHELL VELOCITY:          781 m/s

FIRING RANGE:                     21,9 km

MAX DISPERSION:                275 m

MAX HE DAMAGE:                6600

HE SHELL VELOCITY:           800 m/s

CHANCE OF FIRE:                 38%

• SECONDARY ARMAMENT #1:            152mm/55 OTO 1936         6x3

RATE OF FIRE:                      5 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                     12 s

MAX HE DAMAGE:              2100

FIRING RANGE:                   7,3 km

CHANCE OF FIRE:               7%

• SECONDARY ARMAMENT #2:            135mm/45 OTO 1938         8x2

RATE OF FIRE:                      9 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                      6,67 s

MAX HE DAMAGE:              1900

FIRING RANGE:                    7,3 km

CHANCE OF FIRE:                9%

• AA DEFENSE:                                         135mm/45 OTO 1938                 8x2

FIRING RANGE:              5,2 km

65mm/64 Mod. 1939                 10x2

FIRING RANGE:              3,69 km

37mm/54 Breda 1939                10x4

FIRING RANGE:              3,51 km

37mm/54 Breda 1938                8x2

• PROPULSION:                                                       216000 hp
  • MAXIMUM SPEED:                                               31 knots
  • TURNING CIRCLE RADIUS:                                 970 m
  • RUDDER SHIFT TIME:                                          17.2 s
  • SURFACE DETECTABILITY RANGE:                  17,42 km
  • AIR DETECTABILITY RANGE:                             14 km
  • PLANES:                                                 SCOUT:                              IMAM Ro.43

FIGHTER:                           Reggiane Re.2005

These features are the same that I gave to the original model, but I changed some of them to make it more balanced and added others to make the ship description more accurate, and these are the HP pool (changed from 99800 to 93100), the range (changed from 23,75 km to 21,9 km. I decided to decrease it to make it more similar to the other Italian BBs in game, but anyway superior to all of them, since these guns would still be the largest ever installed on an Italian battleship), reload time (changed from 26 s to 27 s) and maximum dispersion of the main guns (the dispersion is similar to other guns of the same caliber, like Ohio and Kremlin. Even if it is higher than the max dispersion we find on the Cristoforo Colombo, the guns on the Imperatore Augusto would still be more accurate, because of the higher range), and the range of the secondaries (that were changed by WG before the release of the line). Furthermore I added the torpedo protection value, the initial speed of AP and HE shells of the main battery, the fire chance for the HE shells of all types of guns (even in this case, all these values are based on the already existing models or are arranged to balance the ship), the rotation speed of the main battery, the turning circle radius and rudder shift time, the detectability range from the sea and the sky, and the planes carried by the ship. What this battleship has to offer are powerful guns, great secondaries, good AA, great top speed and excellent armor. In few words, a well balanced ship, something that alas most of the Italian battleships in game aren't. In addition to this, here'also an image of the original project regarding the mid section of the ship, in particular of the engine room.

533812330_CorazzataFerdinandoCassone-Sezionecentrale.thumb.jpg.8727d26ff0f3dada8d44ef327083b8d7.jpg

Basing myself on this drawing realised by engineer Cassone, I made the armor scheme of the entire ship, in all orthogonal projections.

842153874_SchemacorazzaRNImperatoreAugusto-Valoriaggiunti.thumb.jpg.1d2077017400d311b39e6b17046d1e7b.jpg

357968177_SchemacorazzasezionecentraleRNImperatoreAugusto-Valoriaggiunti.thumb.jpg.95cbd55f21b709828c7dcd98e6b7abcf.jpg

So as you can see, this ship has an extremely strong armor belt and a well protected citadel (this last feature in particular was something that most of the italian battleship built had in common, especially the Littorio class, as can be seen in the projects that can even be found on the web, but hey, what historical accuracy and reliability can have an Ansaldo or FINCANTIERI original project?), hidden below the water line and protected by a 32 mm turtleback armor near the anti-torpedo bulkhead on the sides and a 150 mm armor plate on the roof, also there is the second armored deck (120 mm) that covers all the vital parts of the hull above the engine room for an even higher protection. Furthermore both the engine room and the citadel are separeted respectively from the armor belt and the anti-torpedo bulkhead by an empty compartment that acts as spaced armor. Nevertheless this battleship is not invincible, and as the original one, this new model maintains the same weak points: very large dimensions, big super structure easily pierced by HEs, poor camo values (slightly better than Cristoforo Colombo being 8 m shorter but still bad) that makes her easily spotted from both sea and sky, few main guns (especially if compared to Cristoforo Colombo!) with average range and quite poor long range accuracy, medium-short range AA, and average maneuverability.

Here's also a configuration of the consumables it should mount (something that I didn't for the original model):

SLOT 1:        DAMAGE CONTROL PARTY
SLOT 2:        HYDROACOUSTIC SEARCH                                                (3 CHARGES)
SLOT 3:        CATAPULT FIGHTER     or     SPOTTING AIRCRAFT        (3 CHARGES)
SLOT 4:        REPAIR PARTY                                                                      (3 CHARGES)

This configuration is quite standard in terms of consumables, but also different when compared to other Italian battleships. This ship doesn't have the Exhaust Smoke Generator that the normal line from tier VIII to X has, and in terms of pure survivability this is another weak point since there's no possibility to avoid enemy fire once the ship has been sighted (except for hiding behind islands), however she can use the Hydroacoustic Search, something that only a few ships in all the Italian tech tree can use (literally, only 3, Duca degli Abruzzi, Duca d'Aosta and Gorizia), this can help the ship to defend itself better against torps and other surprise attacks without the need to use the scout plane.

As you have probably noticed, this battleship doesn't have SAP shells, neither for the main or the secondary armaments. This choice is dued mainly to 2 reasons. The first is that I'd like this particular ship to be as much as normal as possible in comparison to its counterparts, since all Italian non premium battleships are practically the same. And the second is that I'm tired of seeing SAP on every single Italian ship added in game, jokes aside, I think that a ship with HE shells on main and secondary guns is simply better, easier to manage and funnier to play, but if I really had to mantain the SAP as a trait typical of Italian ships, especially when talking about the possibility of having this battleship as the tier X of a new branch, I'd choose the SAP on secondaries, this way the branch would be different from the original and even more particular and unique (probably if this was the case, I'd have to change some of the ship's values and remove others, but this is something that I'll do if and when the time comes).

Personally I think that this battleship could be a great addition to the Italian tech tree, be it a regular or a premium ship, and with these new features I am convinced that it is quite well balanced, probably more than the original one. Anyway I'll send my work to WG hoping one day to see a good representation of this ship in game, I'd be really happy to see a modern version of Ferdinando Cassone Battleship in game done with a certain criterion and with passion, even different from my model but well done, not just a cheap one done only to please a few players (which are not even that few anyway).

Since we're now at the end of this post for what concerns the Imperatore Augusto, I thank you again for your patience and for reading my article, and as I said before, I'll talk about what I didn't like regarding the Italian battleship line when they were announced, and also a few things about the event when they were added in game. Setting aside that the line could have been done a lot better (and again, I mean A LOT!) and that personally I don't like it, this line was a delusion for many reasons.

• First of all, the huge, very numerous and unfair nerfs done before the release to the armor values especially at tier VIII, IX (Marco Polo included) and X, with the excuse "We want the feature of high armor with tough citadel and turtleback to be a hallmark of only german and french battleships".

• The features such as reload time, dispersion, HP pool and camo values; everything started with a certain value, not excellent but not bad, and after a very long series of nerfs ended to what it is right now.

• Why the line starts at tier IV and not III? The tier III could have been the Cuniberti 17000t battleship or even the San Giorgio class.

• Why the Dante Alighieri is the only tier IV non premium BB in game with only one hull when it clearly underwent a modernization in 1913 where it even became the first italian battleship to carry a seaplane? Just to let you know, the Dante Alighieri recently added in War Thunder has this hull and not the one in WoWs.

• At the beginning, the Exhaust Smoke Generator was supposed to be equipped starting at tier VI, but now it starts at tier VIII. Maybe at tier VI it could have been too much but why not start it from tier VII? This point in particular connects with the following.

• Why the Francesco Caracciolo standard hull is not the original pre-WW2 one? Why it doesn't mount the 381/40 guns that were built especially for this class? It never mounted the 381/50 of the Littorio class, they could have been the top researchable guns but at least consider the existence of the original ones.  Why its reload time is sooo long at 33 seconds? And why not give it the Exhaust Smoke Generator since its camo values are terrifying and it does not have a scout plane or fighter? Especially when you can see the smoke tubes at the bottom of the stern.

• Why the Marco Polo, which is none other than the U.P.41, is aesthetically different from the original project? They only had one job to do, copy the model from the project, and I assure you, it' easy.

• Why there are all those inflatable boats all around the Cristoforo Colombo deck when that space could have been clearly used to add some more AA to the ship without compromising the use of secondary guns? It's really impossible for an Italian ship to have an AA base value over 83? For those who have not noticed yet, Cristoforo Colombo and even Lepanto (with top hull) have the same AA values as Venezia.

• Why there wasn't an Italian Battleship collection in the event? Every time a new line is added in game there is a collection to celebrate it. Why not this time?

• And also why the infamous SAP do only 1/10 of maximum damage to destroyers when there are HE that can totally obliterate them with just one hit? It could have been 1/5 or 1/4, but 1/10 is really too much.

I know we're talking about WG here and I'm probably too serious about this matter too, but I like this game and seeing it sink like this it's really irritating. Furthermore some of these things are completely senseless, equivalent to beginners mistakes, and it's something that a company like WG shouldn't do. Despite all this I still think that this line, just like the entire italian tech tree, can be enriched with lots of other ships, and with the right amount of buffs to those already existing ships that are clearly underpowered, become very satisfying to play.

Hoping to see some improvement, and forgetting what awaits us in the near future (like russian carriers, I mean it was obvious that sooner or later they would have done it, it's simply too strong for them, but come on...), thanks again for your patience and for reading my article!

P.S.:

I've got one last surprise regarding Ferdinando Cassone's battleship, if you want to know what it is, don't miss my next article!

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
42 posts
5,796 battles
14 hours ago, TheMasterDragon said:

What this battleship has to offer are powerful guns, great secondaries, good AA, great top speed and excellent armor.

First of all. This was a very interesting read. Kudos to all the effort. One question though, that quote ticks of all the boxes for possible strongpoints in a BB. It would have great defense and offense if the stats live up to the description it begs the question of how you envision its balance to be…?

On a personal note, I find Italians quite enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. Game is arcade after all and not a museum. 

as for the proposals, Having 1/4th dmg on the sap vs DDs be fun but also bonkers. Colombo would obliterate any dd. 

[BHSFL]
Players
1,273 posts
2 hours ago, Skyl2aider said:

Having 1/4th dmg on the sap vs DDs be fun but also bonkers.

They dont.

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
42 posts
5,796 battles
7 hours ago, WWDragon said:

They dont.

I meant to say that the proposed 1/4th sap change would make it unbalanced. Not that they have it right now

Players
10 posts
10,632 battles
13 ore fa, Skyl2aider ha scritto:

First of all. This was a very interesting read. Kudos to all the effort. One question though, that quote ticks of all the boxes for possible strongpoints in a BB. It would have great defense and offense if the stats live up to the description it begs the question of how you envision its balance to be…?

On a personal note, I find Italians quite enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. Game is arcade after all and not a museum. 

as for the proposals, Having 1/4th dmg on the sap vs DDs be fun but also bonkers. Colombo would obliterate any dd. 

Thank you very much :)

Well, regarding your doubt, to put it simply i think that this ship is balanced due to the fact that all its strong points, damage, secondaries, speed, AA and armor, have some big drawbacks, which are not terrible but can be a serious disadvantage. For the main guns these are related to range, accuracy and number of guns, especially range and accuracy, which for a tier X are some of the most important factors. The secondaries are numerous but even in this case they have a range of only 7,3 km and their accuracy is nothing exceptional, as can be seen on Lepanto and Cristoforo Colombo they only work well at close range. Even AA defenses have the same problem, strong and quite numerous but the majority of them with very close range, especially when compared to other nations (this feature in particular is something that all italian ships have in common, however powerful the AA can be, it will work best at close or medium range, and in tier X this can be a serious matter). What saves this ship is the presence of the 135 dual purpose guns, which makes her more similar to her counterparts. Regarding the high top speed the drawback is obviously its maneuverability, just a little lower than Cristoforo Colombo. And finally for the armor, sure there are features like hidden citadel, turtleback, very strong armored belt and strong bridge all over the ship, probably this is the only very strong point about this ship, but even this feature has its problems and i believe that they are balanced by her dimensions.  As I already said they are a big weak point, since this ship is 8 m shorter than Cristoforo Colombo, so its camo values are not so far from hers, probably since it doesn't have SAP and smoke they'd be a little higher but it would be something really really small. The superstructure is huge and every HE that hits is almost certain to cause heavy damage. The turtleback is 32 mm thick, which is the second thinner of all battleships (the first one is on Colombo with only 25mm), so long range shots that manage to hit the sides can pierce it without too many problems, furthermore, despite having a 70 mm belt that covers bow and stern, the hull is only 32 mm armor and it will take full penetrations by big caliber guns such as Yamato's and such. Also the sides are reeeeally big, and with a little aim almost every shot would cause a full penetration with lots of damage. The only parts of the ship that would cause an overpen when shot would be the bow and the stern tip from the sides (and obviously the superstructure). So it's true that this ship has a lot of strong points, but has a lot of features that balance them. There are some battleships in game that are much more extreme than this one. A clear example, the Republique. It has a lot of features that make it clearly overpowered. First, the guns. It has the 2nd longest range of all BB in game (Yamato and Shikishima 1st place on par) and some of the best AP and HE rounds in game, and despite having only 8 guns and a high dispersion value it can land very accurate strikes with full penetrations or citadel hits. The secondaries are really numerous and powerful, and also have the best range in game, superior to german ones. Even the AA is extremely strong, comparable to a light cruiser. Furthermore it has high speed and acceptable maneuverability, very high armor with a really strong turtleback and a citadel almost completely underwater, and camo values superior to a ship of her size. Sincerely, i think that Imperatore Augusto is a strong ship but not OP. It has several strong points but they're not exaggerated, like those on Republique as i said before, and there are even several weak points. For this reason i think that despite everything, it is a balanced ship. Cause for every strong point there is a drawback. Anyway this is only my personal opinion. It's true that this game is an arcade and not a museum, but for some ships and nations it clearly is. The historical accuracy of WG applies only to what interests them. It's nothing new that this game is ridiculously biased, and this is simply wrong. Do it for everyone or for none.

Sorry for the long explanation XD

Anyway as i already said, this is only my opinion and other players thoughts are always welcome and useful.

Also regarding the SAP damage, probably 1/4 of total damage would be too much, but 1/5 would be more plausible, it would be 2500 instead of 1250. If we take Cristoforo Colombo as example, the probability of being obliterated would be high only at really close range, and only if all the shells hit the target, something that probably would happen only at point blank range. And usually if this happens there are a dozen torpedoes approaching the ship :P

• Cool 1

Players
2,533 posts
On 7/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, TheMasterDragon said:

With the release of the Italian battleship line a few months ago, the italian tech tree is starting to resemble what a normal tech tree should be. Setting aside that the line could have been done a lot better (and I mean A LOT!) and that personally I don't like it how i hoped when it was announced and was a disappointment for many reasons, which I'll discuss at the end of this article, I want to talk to you about the ship that 2 years ago, I tought was the best candidate to be the regular tier X of the BB line, and with the sources found on the web, I redesigned using Photoshop in the best way I could. The Ferdinando Cassone battleship, which I renamed, Regia Nave Imperatore Augusto.

Since the actual regular tier X is the Cristoforo Colombo (based on the Edgardo Ferrati G1) it's quite obvious that the Ferdinando Cassone's battleship can't be the top of the line anymore, or rather the top of this line. Gathering enough material, the Imperatore Augusto could be the tier X of another line of battleships (which probably most of them would be only blueprints or even invented, but in WoWs this is not a problem, and I already have an idea of how it could be, but I'll talk about this in another occasion), or in the absence of such material, simply become a premium tier X battleship. There is something though that had me worried for quite some time regarding the Imperatore Augusto, and that is, its appearance. While I really liked the final result of the job I did, there were other players who (rightly) thought my model was not quite right, for example in the disposition of the secondary and AA armament, or in the shape of the aft deck, or also in the number of the funnels on the ship. At first I didn't give it too much importance, but soon after I realised that actually, it could have been done better. So I started thinking, what can I do to make it more realistic? After some time I decided to do a new model of this ship but for many reasons, including the pandemic, a lot of time passed before I could end it, and since the original model was quite successful in terms of popularity and I liked it very much (at the time I published my article on the forum, I was probably the first to make a WW2ish design of the Ferdinando Cassone project, since apart from my version, there were no others from the internet; the same happened for the Edgardo Ferrati G1 that I renamed Goffredo Mameli, the actual Cristoforo Colombo, but that's another story), I was pretty sure a new model wasn't all that much of a priority. But when the Italian BB line was announced and then revealed, as I mentioned at the beginning, my opinion drastically changed.

In the end, I completed the new version of my original model, a sort of upgrade in terms of realism, with the aim to send it to WG. I made various models of different ships and projects of the Italian Navy (which I plan to show on the forum in the future and maybe send them too to WG) and everyone of them was very hard but satysfying to do, personally I think that all of them are well done and quite realistic (speaking in terms of historical accuracy), and I like all of them, but this one, is my favourite, even better than the original one.

So, without further ado and thanking all of you for reading this introduction, here's my job completed. The New "Regia Nave Imperatore Augusto"!

1498837776_RNImperatoreAugusto.thumb.jpg.6be1f1f8fbb7ed155007df2f971a3ddb.jpg

For those who are interested in the story of Ferdinando Cassone's battleship or have not seen my first article, here's the link to get some infos about this project, but remember, this article is the definitive one regarding the ship, not the original one!

As I already said, this is a redesign, most of the features it had in the original model such as dimensions, armor, engine power and main armament are obviously still the same, what has changed as you can see, is the shape of the super structure, the secondary guns and the AA defences layout, and the funnels. The main armament of the ship is still composed by 4 turrets with twin 456mm/46 guns, the largest caliber ever installed on an Italian ship. The secondaries are now composed by 2 types of guns, the 152mm/55 in 6 triple turrets that serve as normal anti-ship guns, and the 135mm/45 in 8 twin turrets which are used as dual purpose guns. And for last, the AA armament is made with 65mm/64 twin cannons and 37mm/54 autocannons in quadruple and twin configurations. The ship still possesses 2 catapults that can be used by a Scout or a Fighter. The armor belt is 456/350/150 mm, and the deck is 50+120 mm. The engine power is 216000 HP with a top speed of 31 knots, and the total weight is 65000 t.

Here's a summary of its features and of some values it could have in game:

• DIMENSIONS:                                        LENGTH:                           274,75 m

BEAM:                               40 m

• DISPLACEMENT:            65000 t
  • ARMOR BELT:                                        456 mm , 350 mm, 150 mm
  • DECK:                                                      MAIN:                                 50 mm

SECOND:                          120 mm

• HIT POINTS:                    93000
  • TORPEDO PROTECTION:                     45%
  • MAIN BATTERY:                                    456mm/46 OTO 1942          4x2

RATE OF FIRE:                       2,23 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                      27 s

ROTATION SPEED:               5 deg./s

180° TURN TIME:                  36 s

MAX AP DAMAGE:               15000

AP SHELL VELOCITY:          781 m/s

FIRING RANGE:                     21,9 km

MAX DISPERSION:                275 m

MAX HE DAMAGE:                6600

HE SHELL VELOCITY:           800 m/s

CHANCE OF FIRE:                 38%

• SECONDARY ARMAMENT #1:            152mm/55 OTO 1936         6x3

RATE OF FIRE:                      5 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                     12 s

MAX HE DAMAGE:              2100

FIRING RANGE:                   7,3 km

CHANCE OF FIRE:               7%

• SECONDARY ARMAMENT #2:            135mm/45 OTO 1938         8x2

RATE OF FIRE:                      9 shots/min

RELOAD TIME:                      6,67 s

MAX HE DAMAGE:              1900

FIRING RANGE:                    7,3 km

CHANCE OF FIRE:                9%

• AA DEFENSE:                                         135mm/45 OTO 1938                 8x2

FIRING RANGE:              5,2 km

65mm/64 Mod. 1939                 10x2

FIRING RANGE:              3,69 km

37mm/54 Breda 1933                14x4  -  8x2

• PROPULSION:                                                       216000 hp
  • MAXIMUM SPEED:                                               31 knots
  • TURNING CIRCLE RADIUS:                                 970 m
  • RUDDER SHIFT TIME:                                          17.2 s
  • SURFACE DETECTABILITY RANGE:                  17,42 km
  • AIR DETECTABILITY RANGE:                             14 km
  • PLANES:                                                 SCOUT:                              IMAM Ro.43

FIGHTER:                           Reggiane Re.2005

These features are the same that I gave to the original model, but I changed some of them to make it more balanced and added others to make the ship description more accurate, and these are the HP pool (changed from 99800 to 93100), the range (changed from 23,75 km to 21,9 km. I decided to decrease it to make it more similar to the other Italian BBs in game, but anyway superior to all of them, since these guns would still be the largest ever installed on an Italian battleship), reload time (changed from 26 s to 27 s) and maximum dispersion of the main guns (the dispersion is similar to other guns of the same caliber, like Ohio and Kremlin. Even if it is higher than the max dispersion we find on the Cristoforo Colombo, the guns on the Imperatore Augusto would still be more accurate, because of the higher range), and the range of the secondaries (that were changed by WG before the release of the line). Furthermore I added the torpedo protection value, the initial speed of AP and HE shells of the main battery, the fire chance for the HE shells of all types of guns (even in this case, all these values are based on the already existing models or are arranged to balance the ship), the rotation speed of the main battery, the turning circle radius and rudder shift time, the detectability range from the sea and the sky, and the planes carried by the ship. What this battleship has to offer are powerful guns, great secondaries, good AA, great top speed and excellent armor. In few words, a well balanced ship, something that alas most of the Italian battleships in game aren't. In addition to this, here'also an image of the original project regarding the mid section of the ship, in particular of the engine room.

533812330_CorazzataFerdinandoCassone-Sezionecentrale.thumb.jpg.8727d26ff0f3dada8d44ef327083b8d7.jpg

Basing myself on this drawing realised by engineer Cassone, I made the armor scheme of the entire ship, in all orthogonal projections.

842153874_SchemacorazzaRNImperatoreAugusto-Valoriaggiunti.thumb.jpg.1d2077017400d311b39e6b17046d1e7b.jpg

357968177_SchemacorazzasezionecentraleRNImperatoreAugusto-Valoriaggiunti.thumb.jpg.95cbd55f21b709828c7dcd98e6b7abcf.jpg

So as you can see, this ship has an extremely strong armor belt and a well protected citadel (this last feature in particular was something that most of the italian battleship built had in common, especially the Littorio class, as can be seen in the projects that can even be found on the web, but hey, what historical accuracy and reliability can have an Ansaldo or FINCANTIERI original project?), hidden below the water line and protected by a 32 mm turtleback armor near the anti-torpedo bulkhead on the sides and a 150 mm armor plate on the roof, also there is the second armored deck (120 mm) that covers all the vital parts of the hull above the engine room for an even higher protection. Furthermore both the engine room and the citadel are separeted respectively from the armor belt and the anti-torpedo bulkhead by an empty compartment that acts as spaced armor. Nevertheless this battleship is not invincible, and as the original one, this new model maintains the same weak points: very large dimensions, big super structure easily pierced by HEs, poor camo values (slightly better than Cristoforo Colombo being 8 m shorter but still bad) that makes her easily spotted from both sea and sky, few main guns (especially if compared to Cristoforo Colombo!) with average range and quite poor long range accuracy, medium-short range AA, and average maneuverability.

Here's also a configuration of the consumables it should mount (something that I didn't for the original model):

SLOT 1:        DAMAGE CONTROL PARTY
SLOT 2:        HYDROACOUSTIC SEARCH                                                (3 CHARGES)
SLOT 3:        CATAPULT FIGHTER     or     SPOTTING AIRCRAFT        (3 CHARGES)
SLOT 4:        REPAIR PARTY                                                                      (3 CHARGES)

This configuration is quite standard in terms of consumables, but also different when compared to other Italian battleships. This ship doesn't have the Exhaust Smoke Generator that the normal line from tier VIII to X has, and in terms of pure survivability this is another weak point since there's no possibility to avoid enemy fire once the ship has been sighted (except for hiding behind islands), however she can use the Hydroacoustic Search, something that only a few ships in all the Italian tech tree can use (literally, only 3, Duca degli Abruzzi, Duca d'Aosta and Gorizia), this can help the ship to defend itself better against torps and other surprise attacks without the need to use the scout plane.

As you have probably noticed, this battleship doesn't have SAP shells, neither for the main or the secondary armaments. This choice is dued mainly to 2 reasons. The first is that I'd like this particular ship to be as much as normal as possible in comparison to its counterparts, since all Italian non premium battleships are practically the same. And the second is that I'm tired of seeing SAP on every single Italian ship added in game, jokes aside, I think that a ship with HE shells on main and secondary guns is simply better, easier to manage and funnier to play, but if I really had to mantain the SAP as a trait typical of Italian ships, especially when talking about the possibility of having this battleship as the tier X of a new branch, I'd choose the SAP on secondaries, this way the branch would be different from the original and even more particular and unique (probably if this was the case, I'd have to change some of the ship's values and remove others, but this is something that I'll do if and when the time comes).

Personally I think that this battleship could be a great addition to the Italian tech tree, be it a regular or a premium ship, and with these new features I am convinced that it is quite well balanced, probably more than the original one. Anyway I'll send my work to WG hoping one day to see a good representation of this ship in game, I'd be really happy to see a modern version of Ferdinando Cassone Battleship in game done with a certain criterion and with passion, even different from my model but well done, not just a cheap one done only to please a few players (which are not even that few anyway).

Since we're now at the end of this post for what concerns the Imperatore Augusto, I thank you again for your patience and for reading my article, and as I said before, I'll talk about what I didn't like regarding the Italian battleship line when they were announced, and also a few things about the event when they were added in game. Setting aside that the line could have been done a lot better (and again, I mean A LOT!) and that personally I don't like it, this line was a delusion for many reasons.

• First of all, the huge, very numerous and unfair nerfs done before the release to the armor values especially at tier VIII, IX (Marco Polo included) and X, with the excuse "We want the feature of high armor with tough citadel and turtleback to be a hallmark of only german and french battleships".

• The features such as reload time, dispersion, HP pool and camo values; everything started with a certain value, not excellent but not bad, and after a very long series of nerfs ended to what it is right now.

• Why the line starts at tier IV and not III? The tier III could have been the Cuniberti 17000t battleship or even the San Giorgio class.

• Why the Dante Alighieri is the only tier IV non premium BB in game with only one hull when it clearly underwent a modernization in 1913 where it even became the first italian battleship to carry a seaplane? Just to let you know, the Dante Alighieri recently added in War Thunder has this hull and not the one in WoWs.

• At the beginning, the Exhaust Smoke Generator was supposed to be equipped starting at tier VI, but now it starts at tier VIII. Maybe at tier VI it could have been too much but why not start it from tier VII? This point in particular connects with the following.

• Why the Francesco Caracciolo standard hull is not the original pre-WW2 one? Why it doesn't mount the 381/40 guns that were built especially for this class? It never mounted the 381/50 of the Littorio class, they could have been the top researchable guns but at least consider the existence of the original ones.  Why its reload time is sooo long at 33 seconds? And why not give it the Exhaust Smoke Generator since its camo values are terrifying and it does not have a scout plane or fighter? Especially when you can see the smoke tubes at the bottom of the stern.

• Why the Marco Polo, which is none other than the U.P.41, is aesthetically different from the original project? They only had one job to do, copy the model from the project, and I assure you, it' easy.

• Why there are all those inflatable boats all around the Cristoforo Colombo deck when that space could have been clearly used to add some more AA to the ship without compromising the use of secondary guns? It's really impossible for an Italian ship to have an AA base value over 83? For those who have not noticed yet, Cristoforo Colombo and even Lepanto (with top hull) have the same AA values as Venezia.

• Why there wasn't an Italian Battleship collection in the event? Every time a new line is added in game there is a collection to celebrate it. Why not this time?

• And also why the infamous SAP do only 1/10 of maximum damage to destroyers when there are HE that can totally obliterate them with just one hit? It could have been 1/5 or 1/4, but 1/10 is really too much.

I know we're talking about WG here and I'm probably too serious about this matter too, but I like this game and seeing it sink like this it's really irritating. Furthermore some of these things are completely senseless, equivalent to beginners mistakes, and it's something that a company like WG shouldn't do. Despite all this I still think that this line, just like the entire italian tech tree, can be enriched with lots of other ships, and with the right amount of buffs to those already existing ships that are clearly underpowered, become very satisfying to play.

Hoping to see some improvement, and forgetting what awaits us in the near future (like russian carriers, I mean it was obvious that sooner or later they would have done it, it's simply too strong for them, but come on...), thanks again for your patience and for reading my article!

P.S.:

I've got one last surprise regarding Ferdinando Cassone's battleship, if you want to know what it is, don't miss my next article!

it was a really good read, honestly

But I had something to clarify regarding these ships. Another 18 inch gun BB is starting to become to excessive. It should have been a rarity but now atleast half of the T10 BBs have 18 inch guns. And WG's goal here was to bring SAP to all classes of the italians with a few exceptions like Napoli, this new Giuseppe Verdi, etc etc. So having a large number of low caliber guns is refreshing imho, combined with SAP. Also SAP was given 1/10th dmg becoz it was probably broken vs DDs. And it still does more damage than AP overpenetration damage, which adds up. I would maybe put a 20% damage cap, but I haven't tested crap, so Idk. Fuel smoke on F.C is not a bad idea btw. And I think I remember WG stating that T3 BBs is not worth the effort or something, hence they didn't put one for the Italians. Last but not least, all these ships are basis or representation of said ships in game. They aren't 100% historically accurate, except some minor cases like Yamato. 

I love the Italian BB like tbh. Its a good line imho, and one I needed. All of them are decent-good ships tier for tier, all of them are unique, and they keep the theme of mid to close range first line BB engagement concept alive. And that's all I need.

If there was one thing I could change about this line, I would maybe give the secondaries SAP and make it have the same range as the french and Germans, in order to keep the whole concept alive. I might even prefer them to have slightly better concealment on 8-10. That's about it.