HarbingerWOD

Training for newcomers

7 comments in this topic

Question

Players
4 posts
2,929 battles

I don't think I have ever seen a game when you have to do 200 battles just to get to the training section. 

• Funny 1

6 answers to this question

[TOXIC]
Players
134 posts
7,064 battles

In my opinion that is because "training room" is a misleading label - in actuality it should say something like "custom battle setup", since it's meant to play custom battles with groups of people or to try out and test very specific mechanics and such. The actual "training room" in the sense of "learning the basics of the game" would be coop battles or low-tier random battles, learning-by-doing in a low-power-level environment. Unfortunately there is no tutorial, so for the absolute basics you'll probably have to just go in and shoot stuff, and once you've gotten the hang of the very basic workings of the game there are great tutorial and mechanics videos on YouTube (although you should look at the date, rather pick the newer ones) and good articles on the wiki that go further in-depth. Apart from the hard game mechanics most of the "soft skills" like aiming, positioning and game awareness are really a question of practice, experience, and learning from errors, and on top of that quite class- and even ship-specific. All in all: Don't bother with the training room if you want to learn the game, go into coop and later randoms, and if something strange happens to you try to figure out via the wiki which mechanic caused it so you can use it to your advantage going further!

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
2,929 battles

Thanks very much for the helpful response. I am a bit late to the game. Hope I do not develop lots of bad habits.

See you on the sea!

[TOXIC]
Players
134 posts
7,064 battles
Am 8.7.2021 um 20:53, HarbingerWOD sagte:

Thanks very much for the helpful response. I am a bit late to the game. Hope I do not develop lots of bad habits.

See you on the sea!

You're welcome, and if you have questions about any mechanical issues I'm sure you'll either find an answer somehwere in this section or someone to give you one if you pose your question here :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
2,929 battles

Thanks.  I'll check if it is one I have not seen. Still in'training' as every time I make a move from CO-OP Battle to Brawl or 'against players, I (or my team) get thrashed!  I  only hope it is Commander skills, lol!

WG Staff
2,975 posts
970 battles
On 8/6/2021 at 10:03 PM, HarbingerWOD said:

Thanks.  I'll check if it is one I have not seen. Still in'training' as every time I make a move from CO-OP Battle to Brawl or 'against players, I (or my team) get thrashed!  I  only hope it is Commander skills, lol!

You are welcome!

Don't worry, it is pretty common at first. The learning curve can be tricky, at the beginning. With a bit of time, though, you will become a true strategical naval force!