Sign in to follow this  
affie

AP shells on Daring/Vampire II

4 comments in this topic

[OHFK]
Players
419 posts
11,325 battles

Yesterday I had a strange engagement in my Vampire II where I used an island to rush a Gearing who was sailing broadside about 2-3 km from me. 

I am aware if the Gearing having 21 mm playing on his side so I decided to use my AP shells and go bow in to avoid torpedoes. The Gearing used all 6 guns firing HE against me and what baffled me after the engagement was that I had lost 12.5K HP while I had only done 7K to the Gearing (I had help from the CV bombers).

I looked up the values and found the 113 mm AP had 19 mm threshold for arming and 0.010 s fuse. Since I got overpenetrations I guess my shells managed to arm against the Gearing but passed through and exploded after they had passed through the Gearing, is that correct assumption by me?

If this is the case, is it suitable to use the AP on the Daring/Vampire vs enemy destroyers at all?

Players
10,752 posts
12,269 battles
1 minute ago, affie said:

Yesterday I had a strange engagement in my Vampire II where I used an island to rush a Gearing who was sailing broadside about 2-3 km from me. 

I am aware if the Gearing having 21 mm playing on his side so I decided to use my AP shells and go bow in to avoid torpedoes. The Gearing used all 6 guns firing HE against me and what baffled me after the engagement was that I had lost 12.5K HP while I had only done 7K to the Gearing (I had help from the CV bombers).

I looked up the values and found the 113 mm AP had 19 mm threshold for arming and 0.010 s fuse. Since I got overpenetrations I guess my shells managed to arm against the Gearing but passed through and exploded after they had passed through the Gearing, is that correct assumption by me?

If this is the case, is it suitable to use the AP on the Daring/Vampire vs enemy destroyers at all?

Overpens probably happened on 13mm superstructure. I guess you might want to check replay again and see where they went and how many were ricochets. 113mm AP have improved ricochet angles, but they still can ricochet and Gearing firing arcs being on excellent side, you actually might be in "ricochet possible" territory, even when chunky Freedom bote is all guns blazing.

[ALYEN]
Players
3,077 posts
4,508 battles

You probably shot too high and overpenned the superstructure ...

Sign in to follow this