You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pukovnik7

Why Open Maps Are Stupid And Why Wargaming Loves Them

89 comments in this topic

[D_G]
Players
612 posts
3,589 battles

Related to this topic.

Open maps (maps with large surfaces of open sea and very little island cover) are both idiotic and frustrating for gameplay, and also loved by the Wargaming, for the same reasons.

They increase the impact of ship quality

In closed, brawling maps, most important factor is player's own skill. At such a range, mostly every ship can penetrate any other ship of the same type (so all battleships can penetrate all other battleships), which means that most important factors are tactics, positioning, cover... in other words, player's own skill. And even ships which cannot harm other ships directly (e.g. DDs or CLs against BBs) usually have other options - such as torpedoes - even without resorting to stupid HE spam.

On open maps, ship performance has a much greater impact. Ship with longer gun range will be able to bombard a ship with shorter range with impunity. Ships that have relatively low calibre will see their shells ricochet harmlessly off the enemy ships (any Scharnhorst players, raise your hand!) and will be forced to either rely on HE, or try and hit only ships of less armoured type (e.g. battleships hunting cruisers) - which is frustrating as those ships are also typically agile enough to avoid long-range shots, unless player isn't paying attention.

This, of course, leads to increased sales of premium ships, as many players opt to try and correct the imbalance by opening their wallets. In Randoms, it is almost never the case that all ships in the match are of the same tier. Instead, two or three different tiers play together - which is frustrating for the players being uptiered, thus promoting a rush through the tiers. Which, again, can be paid - be it by buying premiums, buying premium time, both of those, and maybe several other paying options I am forgetting. Of course, some players (like me) will get premiums for their historical significance... but such players, I expect, are not very numerous.

They increase match turnover

Closed maps (maps with big islands - essentially, brawling maps) increase impact of tactics. This means that games very often not only start, but also progress, very slowly - you have scouting, probing pushes, pushes, counterpushes, ambushes... such maps can last a very long time. And they are very fun. But if the goal is to have players play as many matches in as short amount of time as possible, then these maps are very bad.

In open maps, matches often progress through geometrical progression. First stage can indeed be slow, but once a team loses a ship or a two, match becomes a rollercoaster that is usually impossible to stop. A team which now has six long-range ships to enemy's eight is not weaker by 25% (6/8), but rather has half the combat strength of the enemy team (6^2 / 8^2 = 36 / 64 = 56%), which means that the match is essentially decided. In brawling maps, six battleships can still defeat eight through ambushes, isolation, or simply plain good luck. With open maps, this is impossible. As a result, it is not unusual to see roflstomp games where one team had been destroyed to the last ship while their opponents had lost two or three ships, if they lost any.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 4

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
15,607 battles

Another “buff BB secondaries“ thread.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
4,048 posts
14,528 battles

Open maps, especially like Ocean sort the good from the bad. If anything this game needs more open maps. Maybe then players might learn about good positioning.

Just another post from another player wanting the game to be easier for them rather than learn how to get better. 

• Cool 24
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Players
7,648 posts

:cap_wander:

I rarely ever see the Ocean... if they loved them, they'd let us hand pick the maps we play (like the Ocean! :cap_like:)

• Cool 8

[NECRO]
Players
4,477 posts
Vor 1 Minute, Bear__Necessities sagte:

Open maps, especially like Ocean sort the good from the bad. If anything this game needs more open maps.

Yes, please. I want to play naval battles, not impersonating Theseus performing a dungeon crawl in search for the minotaur (or HMS Minotaur).

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

Players
927 posts
2,759 battles

A much bigger Ocean map would be good; no borders, all you know is the other team is within '30 km'.

Your scouts, either DDs or CV's aircraft, have to find them.

Also no capture zones.

:Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 8

[R3B3L]
Players
1,505 posts
1 hour ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Open maps, especially like Ocean sort the good from the bad. If anything this game needs more open maps. Maybe then players might learn about good positioning

Except overmatch. Every cruiser which is not very nimble is "forked" since all that enemy BBs have to do is point&click.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles

Damn I love Ocean.....

• Cool 8

Players
927 posts
2,759 battles
7 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Make it 300 km for realism! :Smile_smile:

Why stop at terrestrial distances?

10 light minutes or more......

Manticore Royal Navy....:cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Players
8,023 posts
245 battles

some small shallow islands with lots of palm trees on them, useless for hiding behind great for beaching on.

• Funny 1

Players
3,301 posts
10,874 battles

Maybe then players might learn about good positioning.

Bear, Bear, Bear... Come on. You know better than this. You know WoWs players do not learn. They simply rinse and repeat. :Smile_child:

• Funny 3

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
772 posts
5,785 battles

Open maps, especially like Ocean sort the good from the bad. If anything this game needs more open maps. Maybe then players might learn about good positioning.

Just another post from another player wanting the game to be easier for them rather than learn how to get better. 

try position yourself in Nurnberg against tier 8 BB

Players
8,023 posts
245 battles
Just now, Wulf_Ace said:

try position yourself in Nurnberg against tier 8 BB

Rear first so it ends faster :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,997 posts
4,477 battles

Why do you think cover = islands ? Cover also means your teammates f.e. You have to pay attention to the battle and which enemy is looking where and attack from their blind spots, vanishing into concealment when they shift attention to you. That simple.

The best map in this game TBH is Ocean. I have played it with about every applicable DD with good (Yugumo) or Bad (Tashkent, Khabarovsk) concealment. I can do well in both and the trick lies in controlling your own and enemies aggression. If you don't you'll sink quickly. Happened to me in all possible variants (sunk at the start and surviving the game with most HP and good damage/kills).

• Cool 3

[SLAPP]
Players
1,621 posts
9,843 battles

well i feel that this is a first 

that we already have too mutch open maps 

never heard that before 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
772 posts
5,785 battles
10 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Been there. Done that.

Screenshot_20210620-170042.thumb.png.fa774459f297b49c517be43a9e878413.png

so this is spreadsheat 1vs1 against Tier 8 BBs? nice.

• Boring 1

Players
4,048 posts
14,528 battles
3 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

so this is spreadsheat 1vs1 against Tier 8 BBs? nice.

You think every ships should be judged on your fantasy of a 1 v 1 magic scenario? LOL

50 plus games if you include the Makarov clone and still hit 70% WR. Your example of ship choice to use shows exactly nothing. And for the record and this might come as a shock. A T6 cruiser should have some sort of weakness against a T8 BB. 

• Cool 4

[CHEFT]
Players
744 posts
8,032 battles

I highly disagree from you. Maps with island cover allow for much intelligent and strategical gameplay than abominations such as ocean

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
4,048 posts
14,528 battles
1 minute ago, geschlittert said:

I highly disagree from you. Maps with island cover allow for much intelligent and strategical gameplay than abominations such as ocean

You can feel free to disagree with me all you want :)

That's what opinions are for after all.

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
744 posts
8,032 battles
1 minute ago, Bear__Necessities said:

You can feel free to disagree with me all you want :)

That's what opinions are for after all.

But please explain how the long range spamming on ocean requires more skill than the intelligent useage of islands and cover. 

• Funny 1

Players
4,048 posts
14,528 battles
1 minute ago, geschlittert said:

But please explain how the long range spamming on ocean requires more skill than the intelligent useage of islands and cover. 

Please explain why sitting hidden behind an island is suddenly 1000 IQ game play. 

• Cool 3

[CHEFT]
Players
744 posts
8,032 battles
1 minute ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Please explain why sitting hidden behind an island is suddenly 1000 IQ game play. 

Because isolating engagements is definitely a skill? I wonder why all comp players want ocean in the map pool. oh wait, they dont

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1