Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Isoruku_Yamamoto

Tone: Armory bundles- not available as "Ship only"

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
1,222 posts
13,929 battles

So the Tone has been added as a standard "Ship only" bundle in the armory, which nowadays all come with a port slot and a 3pt commander, against the 300 doubloon premium of including the port slot. 

However, unlike all other ships in the armory, in the case of the Tone the ship is added as a "Special" bundle with the contents of a standard ship bundle, rather than as an actual standard ship bundle, meaning i can't use a 25% discount coupon on it. 

Doesn't make sense to me, as it was advertised that the Tone would be coming to the armory, not the weird packs per se, and it is in fact available in the same way all other ships are- you just cant use the discount coupon. 

 

Is this intended or was this effect overlooked when adding it as a "featured" ship in the armory? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,897 posts
21,352 battles
4 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

So the Tone has been added as a standard "Ship only" bundle in the armory, which nowadays all come with a port slot and a 3pt commander, against the 300 doubloon premium of including the port slot. 

However, unlike all other ships in the armory, in the case of the Tone the ship is added as a "Special" bundle with the contents of a standard ship bundle, rather than as an actual standard ship bundle, meaning i can't use a 25% discount coupon on it. 

Doesn't make sense to me, as it was advertised that the Tone would be coming to the armory, not the weird packs per se, and it is in fact available in the same way all other ships are- you just cant use the discount coupon. 

 

Is this intended or was this effect overlooked when adding it as a "featured" ship in the armory? 

Everything featured = full price until no longer featured. Dunno why that should make sense but apparently it does.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

Maybe because some of these ship never get added to the armoury, are withdrawn from availability and only return once a year in "special offers" ( not discounts ) that can be attractive because the ship are rare in game due to limited availability.

 

I guess that is the treatment for ships WG expects to be less popular, but are made to be attractive to having special features, being rare in game and being only limited available when you want them.

 

It is a known sales tactic ofcourse : sold out = sold out ! Get it while you can !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,827 posts
12,208 battles

Komrad. Pay Rubels. Nyet discount.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
42 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

i can't use a 25% discount coupon on it. 

This has been the standard for a while now for WG: for the first phase of their release, new premiums are placed in the 'no discounts' section - it's common practice across various 'sellers of stuff', designed to wring maximum profit from the early adopters.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,532 posts
16,289 battles
48 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Is this intended or was this effect overlooked when adding it as a "featured" ship in the armory? 

This is the way ships come to the armory for quite some time now.

Thank you for noticing.

 

As many other companies, WG is not interested to sell their new, highly anticipated merchandise on discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This has been the standard for a while now for WG: for the first phase of their release, new premiums are placed in the 'no discounts' section - it's common practice across various 'sellers of stuff', designed to wring maximum profit from the early adopters.

Yep, seems about right.

 

'New stuff is always full price' is certainly one school of thought in business, but it seems to me that WG tend to overlook the 'discounts make for happy customers' philosophy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,222 posts
13,929 battles
38 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Maybe because some of these ship never get added to the armoury, are withdrawn from availability and only return once a year in "special offers" ( not discounts ) that can be attractive because the ship are rare in game due to limited availability.

 

I guess that is the treatment for ships WG expects to be less popular, but are made to be attractive to having special features, being rare in game and being only limited available when you want them.

 

It is a known sales tactic ofcourse : sold out = sold out ! Get it while you can !

 

 

This would make sense for the Ise, since that was in fact only for sale shortly, but its weird in this case imo. I get the idea, but it doesnt quite correspond to the patch note "Tone has been added to the armory", at least not if you look what the message "has been added to the armory" normally means

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,222 posts
13,929 battles
1 minute ago, NobleSauvage said:

Yep, seems about right.

 

'New stuff is always full price' is certainly one school of thought in business, but it seems to me that WG tend to overlook the 'discounts make for happy customers' philosophy...

Well lets face it, im a sucker for the IJN cruisers, ill get the Tone at some point :etc_red_button: 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
2 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Well lets face it, im a sucker for the IJN cruisers, ill get the Tone at some point :etc_red_button: 

Hey, I'm not kink-shaming ;) Might even have to pick her up at some point myself, if or when the price is right and the hybrid mechanics have been finalised!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
7 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

'New stuff is always full price' is certainly one school of thought in business, but it seems to me that WG tend to overlook the 'discounts make for happy customers' philosophy...

I haven't worked anywhere near the gaming industry, but in the areas that I'm familiar with, you have to be a little cautious with discounting new stuff (quite apart from the whole 'price establishment' business); if you train people to expect discounts on new stuff you risk those reductions simply becoming 'the price', which can mess your finances up if your planned P&L was built around the full price.

 

If I were WG I might perhaps make modest discounts on new stuff available to anyone with at least a month of premium time on their account, or something like that; then again, I'm an unprincipled scumbag...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
5 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

Might even have to pick her up at some point myself

I did; if I have to play T8 cruisers, I tend to prefer ones with healing potions, and she is quite interesting to play. Mind you, with three minutes between plane launches, she seems to mostly play like an Atago that has two fewer barrels, but doesn't have to give as much broadside to fire all guns (whilst getting the 'bravely running away' torp angles of the silver line. The planes give you that nasty spotting trick though, just not as often as Ise's do (until she gets nerfed)...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
12 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I haven't worked anywhere near the gaming industry, but in the areas that I'm familiar with, you have to be a little cautious with discounting new stuff

Same here, but when I worked in retail (DVDs/games/CDs) it was always a scrum between the different companies to see who could offer the lowest price for the new releases. Of course they weren't 'on sale', per se, but it was funny how the prices would go up once the initial feeding frenzy abated and they wanted to maximise profits from anyone late to the party...

 

8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I did; if I have to play T8 cruisers, I tend to prefer ones with healing potions, and she is quite interesting to play. Mind you, with three minutes between plane launches, she seems to mostly play like an Atago that has two fewer barrels, but doesn't have to give as much broadside to fire all guns (whilst getting the 'bravely running away' torp angles of the silver line. The planes give you that nasty spotting trick though, just not as often as Ise's do (until she gets nerfed)...

Thanks for the tip! I'm in two minds, as on the one hand she'd be a very interesting (and historical) ship to have, but on the other I'm not convinced that the real-world maxim of 'half-cruiser/half-carrier makes for worse than either' doesn't apply, as far as gameplay mechanics go. Plus I'm impatient, and three minutes sounds like a long time ;)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
1 minute ago, NobleSauvage said:

Plus I'm impatient, and three minutes sounds like a long time ;)

It is - I view her as an interesting (historical, as you say) healing cruiser, that gets an occasional plane launch as a bonus.

 

I haven't played many games with her yet (and only a couple - I think - against real people), but you don't have the convenient potential synch between main gun reload and plane launches that you sometimes get with Ise; with the latter, it's possible to launch and strike a nearby target whilst your main guns reload, whereas Tone reloads fast enough that you will always miss potential shots whilst your planes are aloft. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as you can perhaps be doing things with your planes (like spotting DDs, say) while your ship has gone dark to heal.

 

I should emphasise though that I suck in cruisers, so this is the perspective of someone who doesn't want to be bored, but isn't likely to carry in any cruiser - if you're after the view of a decent player, I'm most certainly not qualified!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
2,997 posts
4,477 battles

Yes it is intended. They do this with EVERY new ships released for doubloons. You just have to wait will they milk all the whales and release a normal Ships section bundle ...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
4,415 posts
16,490 battles
14 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Anybody happen to know if Tone is going to make it into the regular Armory section later on?

Premium ships always start in these special bundles to start with then usually go on sale later in the ships section. 
 

I expect Tone will be the same but cannot be sure.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
[BBMM]
Players
7,299 posts
11,130 battles
8 hours ago, NobleSauvage said:

Hey, I'm not kink-shaming ;)

You are right, playing this game is indeed a bit like being tied up, and then being p...and sh... on. :cap_wander_2: :cap_fainting:

:Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,610 posts
4,043 battles
15 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

As many other companies, WG is not interested to sell their new, highly anticipated merchandise on discount.

To be fair to WG, this is nothing remarkable at all. I'd say it is more or less standard business practice.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
1,917 posts
15,588 battles
16 hours ago, Europizza said:

Everything featured = full price until no longer featured. Dunno why that should make sense but apparently it does.

I assume to milk the pockets of the impatient.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
1,917 posts
15,588 battles
7 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

You are right, playing this game is indeed a bit like being tied up, and then being p...and sh... on. :cap_wander_2: :cap_fainting:

:Smile_trollface:

You feel constantly manipulated and pushed into doing stuff. Annoying :Smile-angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,210 posts
1 hour ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Im not sure now tho, it says bundles will be available untill july 2nd. Will the Tone itself remain availabe for longer?

Probably disappear for a while (gotta underline that FOMO impulse) and then pop back up again some time down the line, possibly sooner rather thanlater dependent on how much emphasis WG want to put on hybrids in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
[BBMM]
Players
7,299 posts
11,130 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 3:35 PM, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Well lets face it, im a sucker for the IJN cruisers, ill get the Tone at some point :etc_red_button: 

Thing is, EVERYTHING comes with a 3 point commander and a port slot.

Even steel ships, you wonder what people that play CB need a 3 pointer for... :Smile_facepalm:

 

If you REALLY want it (and you probably do) you must pay 100%...

Or take a bit of risk to "get it later" and be able to use the coupon.

But I think Ise is the better deal (BB, same planes, 2 tier lower, all that at half price).

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

But I think Ise is the better deal (BB, same planes, 2 tier lower, all that at half price).

If you're only going to get one, I agree - it should probably be Ise.

 

Besides what you mention, the plane cooldown on Ise is also much faster (2 min, versus 3 min), and you can use Ise in Ops (which you obviously can't with Tone).

 

Edit: I should have included the phrase 'at the moment', as both Ise and Tone have the 'may be nerfed' label...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×