You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Commander_PeaBoy

beginners ( less than 8 weeks play) and matchmaking

43 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
1,001 battles

I have been playing tier 1 and 2 for 4 weeks and trying to learn the game. At about 100 battles (Random) I noticed a significant and very detrimental change in the game. I started regularly being match against teams with 2,3 or 4 very highly experienced players ( 10,000's battles across all tiers 1- X) sometimes in divisions.

Needless to say, I have been smashed very quickly and never had a chance to practice, aiming against bots and equal (real) players. I am finding it hard to practice and develop in these game draws and the experience is frustrating and unpleasant.

On the advice of my clan I invested in a Tier 6 DD to practice in ranked T6 which at first seemed fine but I came across a lot of abuse because I'm trying to learn in that particular game format.

It seems to me after 100 battles beginners are thrown to the wolves and can't find fair games at T1 or T2. God forbid we venture to higher tiers too early to find fair games as we undoubtedly get abused by other players for learning on the job and being a noob, potato, tomato etc. etc.

The above is my experience so can suggest (if not already done so) matchmaking is based on player ( games played, experience, tier level reached etc...) not just ship type and tier, otherwise 'seal clubbing' , medal farming and win rate manipulation will continue to the significant determent of new players. Simple thing would be to block tier VIII - X players from T2 games once they play 50 games at tier VIII-X for example?

grumble over :cap_horn:

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
  • veteran players need to play Tier II battles, as new lines start there
  • your protection ended after 200 battles, that is more than enough to research until Tier IV, you are now at 320 battles...
  • playing 100 battles at Tier I and II does not teach much, it would have been better to test out mutiple classes and lines until Tier IV
  • learning in Tier VI DD is not the best idea, as you probably lack a 10 point captain and DD are a bit harder to play
  • Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[C1DFL]
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
2,761 posts
15,975 battles

@CommanderPercy

you may want to take a look at this https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Matchmaking#The_Matchmaker_for_Newcomers

Apparently you exceeded the 200 matches in the protected matchmaking realm and thus you aren´t considered an beginner anymore as far as the matchmaker with its rules is concerned.

Players
2,740 posts
21,065 battles

For what it’s worth ranked battles are probably the worse environment for toxicity in this game so I would personally advise against practicing  their. 

I suggest try hanging around tiers 3-5 for a while get a feel for map positioning armour angling etc. A common mistake (one I made) is to think rushing up the lines to get to tier 10 is best, take your time learning the fundamentals it’s not a race. If possible see if any of your clan mates are free for a division ideally whilst using discord to chat, let them explain what they are doing and why. 

As for the issue about protection for new players players I do agree the current limit is probably a bit too low 200 matches does go by very quickly, but I cannot see it changing. Just stay open minded for advice and you can try checking out some of the youtubers or live streamers for advice. 

• Cool 4

Players
13 posts
1,001 battles
2 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

For what it’s worth ranked battles are probably the worse environment for toxicity in this game so I would personally advise against practicing  their. 

I suggest try hanging around tiers 3-5 for a while get a feel for map positioning armour angling etc. A common mistake (one I made) is to think rushing up the lines to get to tier 10 is best, take your time learning the fundamentals it’s not a race. If possible see if any of your clan mates are free for a division ideally whilst using discord to chat, let them explain what they are doing and why. 

As for the issue about protection for new players players I do agree the current limit is probably a bit too low 200 matches does go by very quickly, but I cannot see it changing. Just stay open minded for advice and you can try checking out some of the youtubers or live streamers for advice. 

Thank you (and the others) for your replies...This seems sensible, I will progress up to T3/T4 and try cruisers and B's and settle there for a while.  Colonel Pete makes a good point about starting new lines, but it seems to me the players I come across are not just jumping on a new lines but persistently coming back to T1 and T2 for the reasons I mention in my first post.

Of course, I could be super dooper positive and suggest I'm such a skilled and experienced 'beginner' I warrant being matched against players with 10+ years experience and a gazillion medals and awards, but sadly I think that Idea sits firmly in the realms of fantasy. 

thanks for all your help :cap_look:

[TACHA]
Players
1,595 posts
18,231 battles

I would suggest playing in division with some of your clan members - your T6 destroyer could also be used in operations with them and you will have the benefit of advice and help.

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
6,048 posts
23,113 battles
1 hour ago, CommanderPercy said:

On the advice of my clan I invested in a Tier 6 DD to practice in ranked T6 which at first seemed fine but I came across a lot of abuse because I'm trying to learn in that particular game format.

Sounds like a real arsewhole move of Your clan... putting a Newbie in a T6 DD to "learn playing at ranked" is probably the most stupid move to do.

17 minutes ago, CommanderPercy said:

I will progress up to T3/T4 and try cruisers and B's and settle there for a while

You lost your Newbie Security Bonus, so be ready to meet players like me, who like to play at T3 or T4 sometimes, as it's just nice to club sealclubbers once in a while...

Instead of going full random I would encourage you to play a couple hundred CoOp battles to hone your basic skills in a less dangerous surrounding.

• Cool 5

Players
3,292 posts
10,799 battles

@CommanderPercy

Quickest way to improve is to let experienced players analyse your replays. That why you get a lot of valuable feedback, tips and tricks. 

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
45 minutes ago, CommanderPercy said:

Thank you (and the others) for your replies...This seems sensible, I will progress up to T3/T4 and try cruisers and B's and settle there for a while.  Colonel Pete makes a good point about starting new lines, but it seems to me the players I come across are not just jumping on a new lines but persistently coming back to T1 and T2 for the reasons I mention in my first post.

Of course, I could be super dooper positive and suggest I'm such a skilled and experienced 'beginner' I warrant being matched against players with 10+ years experience and a gazillion medals and awards, but sadly I think that Idea sits firmly in the realms of fantasy. 

thanks for all your help :cap_look:

Yes, there are a few players who like to play low Tiers. And that is ok, the gameplay there can be fun.

WG could refine the low Tier Matchmaking a bit more, to give less experienced players more breathing room, on the other hand that could shelter you from the real gameplay a bit too long and slow down the learning process.

Thankfully you do not need to worry about players with 10 years of WoWs experience, as there are none.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
6,048 posts
23,113 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Thankfully you do not need to worry about players with 10 years of WoWs experience, as there are none.

Wouldn't playing WoWs on two accounts for five years enumerate to 10 years of experience? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
1 minute ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Wouldn't playing WoWs on two accounts for five years enumerate to 10 years of experience? :Smile_trollface:

Nope.

• Bad 1

Players
13 posts
1,001 battles
46 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

I would suggest playing in division with some of your clan members - your T6 destroyer could also be used in operations with them and you will have the benefit of advice and help.

I tried an op, seems to be a good place. Better challenge than co-op. I will use my T61 there as you suggest. Thanks for the tip.

[TACHA]
Players
1,595 posts
18,231 battles
31 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Yes, there are a few players who like to play low Tiers. And that is ok, the gameplay there can be fun.

WG could refine the low Tier Matchmaking a bit more, to give less experienced players more breathing room, on the other hand that could shelter you from the real gameplay a bit too long and slow down the learning process.

When did WOWS start? I saw someone with a profile which said 2012 start but I thought it was a fair bit later. See Lovelacebeer above

Players
3,116 posts

chances are you'll get more gurus at those tiers and I mean real savants wit over 10k battles and most of them at that tiers. 21 point captains and all the goodies of long experience. For better or worse there are captains that like the older ships more and I can't fault them. the era was fascinating.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
7 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

When did WOWS start? I saw someone with a profile which said 2012 start but I thought it was a fair bit later. See Lovelacebeer above

Closed Alpha started Nov 2013, but the game was hardly comparable to today.

Closed Beta started March 2015 and is the game of today with less features.

Open Beta started July 2015 and everyone could join.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
6,048 posts
23,113 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

Closed Alpha started Nov 2013, but the game was hardly comparable to today.

Closed Beta started March 2015 and is the game of today with less features.

Open Beta started July 2015 and everyone could join.

And "Closed Beta" wasn't totally "closed" as one could "buy in" - which I did in April 2015.

7 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

For better or worse there are captains that like the older ships more and I can't fault them. the era was fascinating.

Not to forgot the low tier premiums in my harbour need to get taken on a walk once in a while...

I mean, why did WG gave me Prince Albert, Vampire, Campbeltown, Smith and Arkansas (among others) if not to club seals educate newer players with them, right? Right?

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,795 posts
10,946 battles
3 hours ago, triumphgt6 said:

When it comes to this forum showing the join date information, it seems they had one "cut point" in transferring the WG.net account data. Meaning that if you had a WG.net account already f.ex. in WoT (like I had), before this "cut point", then the WoWs forums would show that "cut point" as the "Joined -date". Seems 9th August 2012 was this "cut point", as that's what it shows for me (my WG.net account was created 17th April 2011), and for many others who started their "WG.net careers" before that 9th August 2012 date.

As for the question itself, Pete answered already. To that I could just add that the release of the game was in September 2015, which just meant the end of OBT. The game itself was first announced on August 16, 2011, as World of Battleships. So this year will mark the 10th anniversary of the announcement, but none of us has played this for 10 years.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,936 posts
18,027 battles

Play div, play multiple lines and classes at the same time, ask help & replay analysis.

Stay out of ops, coop and ranked. You won't learn valuable lessons in those modes.

Don't listen to Beastofwar.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 9

[BOATY]
Players
1,322 posts
16,627 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • veteran players need to play Tier II battles, as new lines start there
  • your protection ended after 200 battles, that is more than enough to research until Tier IV, you are now at 320 battles...
  • playing 100 battles at Tier I and II does not teach much, it would have been better to test out mutiple classes and lines until Tier IV
  • learning in Tier VI DD is not the best idea, as you probably lack a 10 point captain and DD are a bit harder to play

DD play can be some of the most skill intensive play you will ever experience in this game. Everyone wants you dead because you are the most important class of ship in the game. A bb can be ignorned. A cruiser can be ignored, A cv...well you have to travel to narnia before you can shoot one but still they can be ignore, a dd however can not. The spotting and the ability to stealth nuke a ship makes them hands down the most important target to kill when spotted. So yeah your clan pointing you to a t6 dd is gonna be rough a bit and going to rank is even more rough.

• Cool 3

[TACHA]
Players
254 posts
8,119 battles

Hello OP,

I started an F2P alt account recently to see if I didn't suck as much as my main account said that I did. So, I'm playing US BB only on the F2P account, its about 4 weeks old and I'm currently at T8 N Carolina, not a bad ship and knowing the T9 and T10 on that branch, quite looking forward to the grind. 

I have seen (and indeed have been one) many players with 1000's of games playing at T5/6. The bonus to this is that many are potatoes, some are truly awful players. Downside is when I decide to potato too :-)

However the key in all of this is pretty simple:

Angle, use your armour

Don't over commit, don't yolo.

Think before you fire

Look at your mini-map

Have an escape route 

Do this and you'll be pretty successful going forward.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,047 battles
4 hours ago, CommanderPercy said:

Oof - if I were feeling tactless, I might suggest finding a new clan! In Ranked, DDs are especially important to winning the game, if played well, and the exact reverse if not; people will get *very* annoyed if you're losing them games by making all the silly newbie mistakes that we all made.

I don't disagree with the notion that small map competitive modes (like Ranked) can be useful learning modes (due to fewer ships to keep track of, and smaller maps), but not for learning the basics and especially not in an influential class like DDs.

The key things to focus on IMO:

• Situational awareness: make your mini-map as big as possible (and use it. A lot.), enable as many range circles as you can process, and enable the alternative interface mode (in the control tab of options). One of two most important things to master.
  • The other one is the vision mechanics and how they work (goes double for most DDs).
  • Learning to shoot straight, where, and with which ammo.
  • How armour works, including how to angle.
  • Cool 3

Players
214 posts
13,707 battles

do everyone a favor and stay out off ranked

your mistakes will matter less in randoms and you will most likely meet more players of your skill level

Players
121 posts
5,550 battles
53 minuty temu, ObiWankov napisał:

do everyone a favor and stay out off ranked

Do everyone a favor and stop playing carriers.

• Boring 1

Weekend Tester
1,224 posts
9,368 battles

As much as i hate saying this, and as lazy as it is, i suggest watching youtubers play the game. They do tend to point out things while they play which might not be obvious to some people. Consider Aerroon or Flamu.

• Cool 2