You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

What is the best Steel ship?

83 comments in this topic

[HAMAR]
Players
590 posts

What is the best Steel ship you can get now for playing in Random Battle?

Is there a reason to wait because  of new Steel Ship?

• Cool 2

Players
4,896 posts
21,316 battles

Same question here with addendum: most FUN steel ship for random?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,390 posts
11,448 battles

What's the best color?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

Players
2,215 posts
13,280 battles
4 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Same question here with addendum: most FUN steel ship for random?

Most fun: Bourgogne

Best ship: FdR 

• Cool 2

Players
2,062 posts
19 minutes ago, Puffin_ said:

What is the best Steel ship you can get now for playing in Random Battle?

Is there a reason to wait because  of new Steel Ship?

Depends on your playstyle

What playstyle do you prefer, then maybe I can answer that question better

[XTREM]
Players
2,255 posts
16,158 battles

Fun is subjective. 

There's no best either, assuming you're only playing randoms. They're all good.

Are you a cruiser player? Does a fast yet squishy BB with reload boost interest you? Do you like CVs? 

Think on that then decide. 

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
15 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Most fun: Bourgogne

Best ship: FdR 

All CV players that have no experience with FDR please look at videos carefully how FDR actually PLAYS and do not look only at the occasional spike damage it does.

You will notice you will be limited in free play by 3 artificial limiters  1) long duration weapon lock timer 2) turtle slow planes and 3) inaccurate munitions ( and slow motion travelling when dropped/launched )

To some ( such as me ) these limiters can be extremely frustrating as they hold you back compared to other CV.

The FDR is steel because it is a relentless spotter ( flies over or near  enemies much longer then other CV because of its extreme HP planes ) enabling clans to see all an enemy does and hit them without restriction. If you use this ship in randoms or ranked, only its time gated and accuracy restricted spike damage is used and it spotting wil give varying results.

That is fair advice isn't it ?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,215 posts
13,280 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

The FDR is steel because it is a relentless spotter

This alone makes it broken, because it's a CV and they are broken by design. The simple fact that a CV can sit anywhere on the map, hiding all game long and can spot every square of the map .. fair i guess? Also placing spotting beacons, a.k.a fighters, over caps to prevent DDs from doing their job and nullifying heavy investments in concealment, while spotting and harassing other ships somewhere else on the map ... fair i guess

I think everyone in the game, except some CV mains, understand how broken CVs are and this is mainly because of their spotting ability. But of course, CV players deny this fact.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
3,608 posts
4,043 battles

I like the USS Black! 

Cute and deadly, with her sneaky smoke+radar combo and those long-ranged float mines she calls torpedoes, what's not to like?

But since she is the only steel ship I own, I guess I'm biased...! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HAMAR]
Players
590 posts

FDR did not even cross my mind. I am not interested in CV.

I own Enterprise

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
5 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

This alone makes it broken, because it's a CV and they are broken by design. The simple fact that a CV can sit anywhere on the map, hiding all game long and can spot every square of the map .. fair i guess? Also placing spotting beacons, a.k.a fighters, over caps to prevent DDs from doing their job and nullifying heavy investments in concealment, while spotting and harassing other ships somewhere else on the map ... fair i guess

I think everyone in the game, except some CV mains, understand how broken CVs are and this is mainly because of their spotting ability. But of course, CV players deny this fact.

I am not going against you on this at all.....but WG thought it a good idea to make that a steel ship = targeted at clans and CB for some reason.

And it is funny they banned it from CB now for that very design with relentless spotting.

I would have liked a more enjoybale CV with less peak damage and less ( or no ) spotting but without all these frustrating limiters....but alas...it is what it is. And in fact i bought something that is not meant for me, as i do not play CB.

Players
2,814 posts
24,695 battles

For Competitiv: I would still say Balansgrad

For Fun/Random: Burger. 

For Ranked: Austin 

• Cool 1

Players
4,896 posts
21,316 battles
22 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Fun is subjective. 

There's no best either, assuming you're only playing randoms. They're all good.

Are you a cruiser player? Does a fast yet squishy BB with reload boost interest you? Do you like CVs? 

Think on that then decide. 

I'm asking what you think is fun so I can see if I can relate :D

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
3,793 posts
17,101 battles

Bourgogne is probably the one that the most people will enjoy in Randoms.

If you enjoy light cruisers in Randoms though, Austin is amazing.

FDR is a must for CV players, but I honestly doubt that a non-CV player will have fun in it for a longer time.

If I could only keep one of them and I would not be a CV player, I would keep my Austin (since Stalin has been somewhat replaced by Petro anyway). 

• Cool 2

[HAMAR]
Players
590 posts
7 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Getting citadels and brawling in a Battleship is the most fun.

DD's are fun to and I wish I had the same win-rate in Battleships as I have with some DD's

I like fighting about caps and killing other DD's.

Cruisers can be fun especially if you manage to play them well. Killing DD's and citadel other cruiser is the fun part

And shooting down planes is always fun. Good AA some times make the CV player pic some one else.

[XTREM]
Players
2,255 posts
16,158 battles
24 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Hm, what I think?

I think that Stalin has sick camos which I use that you can use to flex.

I think that Bourgogne can be amazing fun, though personally I prefer Republique and play it more. 

I think that FDR has sick looking planes and awesome camos. Otherwise, it's too clunky, planes are slow, and it's pretty one-dimensional in terms of play. 

I think that I will get Austin one of these days.

I think that I will never get Plymouth.

I think that I never got Somers, therefore I think that I am somewhat sad. 

Did I miss anything? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,793 posts
17,101 battles
19 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Hm, what I think?

I think that Stalin has sick camos which I use that you can use to flex.

I think that Bourgogne can be amazing fun, though personally I prefer Republique and play it more. 

I think that FDR has sick looking planes and awesome camos. Otherwise, it's too clunky, planes are slow, and it's pretty one-dimensional in terms of play. 

I think that I will get Austin one of these days.

I think that I will never get Plymouth.

I think that I never got Somers, therefore I think that I am somewhat sad. 

Did I miss anything? :cap_hmm:

Shikishima, which is a waste of steel unless you absolutely love your Yamato and want another variant of it. 

FDR is not really one-dimensional, once you get a hang of it. Planes are still slow bricks though. 

[ALONE]
Modder
2,377 posts
14,378 battles

For fun I'd choose Somers. Unfortunately not available atm. :fish_aqua:

[XTREM]
Players
2,255 posts
16,158 battles
8 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Shikishima, which is a waste of steel unless you absolutely love your Yamato and want another variant of it. 

Of course! Silly me I completely forgot Shiki.

@Europizza

I think that Shikishima is fun and gunsounds are fun, but the play is exactly Yama. Seeing as how I love Yama, it's a no-brainer. I play them both quite frequently. 

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

Isn't any gun over 458 mm pointless in game ?  I mean 32 mm is all you are going to overmatch. And larger then 458 mm  comes with lower low ROF + less guns so misses are much more hurting to DPM.

You need 572 mm to overmatch 40 mm deck armour. 715 mm to overmatch 50 mm deck armour...and so on....

[XTREM]
Players
2,255 posts
16,158 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Isn't any gun over 458 mm pointless in game ?  I mean 32 mm is all you are going to overmatch. And larger then that comes with increased inaccuacy or low ROF.

458 doesn't overmatch 32mm, you're thinking of Yama(460) but I get what you're saying. It's not the case. 

The low accuracy and low RoF is not really a thing. Atm we only have Shiki, but she has the same accuracy as Yama, with better reload. 23 sec with the right upgrade.  

And more DPM. Unless you use reload Yama, which has slightly better DPM. But then, your accuracy suffers. 

• Cool 2

[VIBES]
Players
1,239 posts
23,043 battles

Since I only have the Shikishima, let me just say that:

1) Before the captain rework, at least you had the option to build her for secondaries. Not the best idea, but a fun one.

2) After the rework she was arguably stronger thanks to Dead Eye, which made it VERY easy to land 15k salvoes even at 19-20 km or so. I know snipers aren't "exciting", but trust me, that accuracy + overmatch was a very satisfying combo.

3) Since they removed Dead Eye I went for ERE: the ship is a bit tankier, but she just feels less rewarding.

4) Having said that, she's still way better than the Yamato imho: my average dmg is 12k higher, and more importantly my average WR is 12% higher (53 to 65). Granted, I played her after the Yamato, so I was more experienced, and Yamamoto helped with the turret traverse, but still, that's a huge improvement in performance for me.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,255 posts
16,158 battles
2 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

4) Having said that, she's still way better than the Yamato imho.

I feel differently, myself. It's very strong but so is Yama. It's just 'different'. In the end, I still take Yama to comps over Shiki as personal preference. 

• Cool 1