Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pukovnik7

Your Favourite / Most Fun Lines

13 comments in this topic

[D_G]
Players
612 posts
3,589 battles

So what are your favourite ship lines so far? My own are, essentially:

1) German battleships

2) French destroyers

3) European destroyers

I think you may notice the pattern here... battleships which suck at long range but are lethal up close and destroyers with no smoke but big guns for hunting other destroyers. Originally, I preferred smokey destroyers, but allies aren't very good at utilizing smoke much of the time, while I found it far safer to simply run away and/or hide when I ran into trouble. Smoke screen = torpedo magnet, and since it actually blocks your own vision, it is a liability much of the time, unless you are deploying it to break contact while you go and hide behind and island. And I am not that big on concealment in general - good hard cover is a far superior option, and as for CV... I just try and pay attention to where his aircraft are and where they are heading. The only times I feel the lack of smoke is when I am capping, but even then, it is not all bad. Plus, there is nothing more annoying than a destroyer sitting in a smoke and firing torpedoes at targets spotted by a battleship.

When it comes to battleships, well - brawling, secondaries and secondary brawling. Granted, main guns actually still do more damage, but as far as I'm concerned, if I don't have any secondary and/or torpedo hits during the match, I have not played my battleship properly, regardless of the technical results. A battleship needs to support destroyers while they are capping, and that involves coming close to, or even into, the caps, and helping contest the caps - which means that battleship has to have good survivability and, hopefully, good secondaries as well. So German battleships are the primary battleship line I am focusing on. I do find French battleships to be a-okay as well, though they are obviously not as good as Germans at brawling due to limited gun angles (primary and secondary both) and thin armour, so I am not certain I will continue their line. Maybe after I research all three lines I listed at the beginning.

So, what are yours, and why?

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
1,924 posts
15,588 battles

UK DDs: good concealment, many smokes, hydro, good guns. Very good cap contesters and generalist boats.

UK CLs: smoke or radar, good concealment, good DPM, nimble. Good DD hunters and versatile.

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

EU DD line

Pan Asian DD line

All CV lines

RU BB line

German BB line

Limited DD killer type Cruisers

I like all purpose DD ( capable of killing all  possible DD and then continue to kill BB )

i like(d) using planes

i like fighting CQC with BB

if i must use Cruisers i like to kill ( capping) DD with them. I have various Cruisers with DD caliber weapons on them for that purpose.

No like : camping or long range shell lobbing. ( although they are my favorite target as they are easier to hit with DD and planes, and fun to run through with CQC BB )

• Cool 1

[-_W_-]
Players
130 posts
570 battles

i'm playing german battleships now and i got bismarck

Players
1,069 posts
9,310 battles

Fun lines eh.. hard, because not all ships of a line are enjoyable, but ok:

US battleships (the normal ones): Fast enough, no gimmicks, hard-punching AP.

UK destroyers: Lightning! Jutland!

UK light cruisers: Need careful play, but very fun. Leander, Fiji and Edinburg are a joy to play.

French cruisers: Fast firebugs! Open water pew pew.

US carriers: (yea, FDR mainly)

US destroyers: Good all-rounders, Fletcher is just amazing.

I must say, I am a little surprised by the results myself. When I consider whole lines, nothing German, Japanese, Russian comes to mind (though single ships are fun, obviously). And, though I consider myself a BB main, I have a lot of fun in destroyers lately.

Good thread.

Edited by Bindolaf_Werebane
Added the "why".

[SINT]
Players
1,237 posts
24,631 battles

Russian CV’s…the wait has been long but finally I will be able to stop playing those fake US, JP and UK lines and pick the true CV masterrace:Smile-_tongue:

But until then:

JPN BB and UK CL.

• Boring 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
773 posts
5,785 battles

japanese carriers

japanese destroyers

german battleships

german destroyers

Players
2,834 posts
24,731 battles

RU-DD (Main Line)

UK-BB

UK-CL

FR-DD

Secondary Skill rework killed the FR-BB line for me. 

Players
3,309 posts
10,874 battles

US light and heavy cruisers. 

I like the lazy shell arcs, dpm and utility. 

Players
779 posts
6,934 battles

BB-    Mighty Nippon Steel / IJN,  Soviet Navy 

CL-  "Aarrrgh I hate those thiiiings!"- Commander Rumble VO after sinking cruisers

DD-  'Murican (100% torp build), Pan- Asia (hunter/torp build)

[TACHA]
Players
1,595 posts
18,284 battles

UK CLs - I could happily just play these and nothing else. Nippy and quick turning and fast firing guns: smoke, so you can escape if you find yourself where you should not be and good hydro so the torps don't get you. Leander, Fiji and Edinburgh are great. Neptune is just too big and has a ridiculous citadel and the AA no longer is as powerful after the CV rework. Minotaur suffers from the every increasing range of Russian radar. If forced will play stealth destroyers but I will be thinking of the Fiji when I do! 

• Cool 1

Players
216 posts
10,056 battles

The British CL line from Leander on up, yes, even Neptune.

I still love the IJN cruisers, even though they've been powercrept. 

British DD's from Jervis on up.

All American cruisers from T6 on up.

The IJN gunboat DD's, although I'm only on Akizkuki at the moment.

Sign in to follow this