You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

Z39 or Cossack?

Da boss DD  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I buy?

• Z39
    • Cossack
    • Other

35 comments in this topic

[LUZ1]
Players
1,912 posts
15,579 battles

As I can't get Haida in time, as a DD main I am saving for a good premium cap contester. So which should I get, Z39, Cossack or something else?

Players
4,896 posts
21,316 battles

Cossack, no contest. It's about the strongest DD in it's tier hands down.

• Cool 6

[PISH]
Players
522 posts
4,966 battles

Why not both?

That aside Cossack is a nice and storied ship worth getting.

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

Cossack has no air defence but smoke.

It can manage perfectly fine when it is in smoke and it is in smoke often, but it's AA is too weak to remove even dropped CV fighter consumables in time when the smoke lifts. And that is when they get snuffed.

I would prefer either DD that not go near caps, or when they have to and ofcourse attract planes there, have much better (DF)AA.

[LUZ1]
Players
1,912 posts
15,579 battles
32 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

Why not both?

That aside Cossack is a nice and storied ship worth getting.

I probably will, but as I collect gold slowly the question is which to get first.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,541 posts
16,167 battles
31 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

As I can't get Haida in time, as a DD main I am saving for a good premium cap contester. So which should I get, Z39, Cossack or something else?

Z-39 is being removed at the same time as Haida (https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/premium-shop-0104-departing-ships/), alas, so has the same timeline as the latter.

Which to get of those two if you can only get one is quite a difficult question; they're both very good, but Z-39 is perhaps more reliable regardless of MM, whereas Haida is perhaps rather more fun (if harder to do well with).

If you can't get either before they're removed, Cossack is outstanding - she's one of the best DDs tier-for-tier in the game (IMO, of course); the only problem - which is why mine don't get used as much as they should - is the lousy AA, which means you only have your smoke if a CV takes an interest in you. Admittedly, RN smoke is the type you want when Just Dodging, but it would be better to at least take a few of the buggers with you. Cossack and Haida, for obvious reasons, are very similar; besides lacking Mighty Secondaries ("cower in fear, puny mortals!"), Cossack doesn't get crawling smoke, which is the root of their differences in play style.

So, Cossack is a fine choice.

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
1,912 posts
15,579 battles
27 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Z-39 is being removed at the same time as Haida (https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/premium-shop-0104-departing-ships/), alas, so has the same timeline as the latter.

Which to get of those two if you can only get one is quite a difficult question; they're both very good, but Z-39 is perhaps more reliable regardless of MM, whereas Haida is perhaps rather more fun (if harder to do well with).

If you can't get either before they're removed, Cossack is outstanding - she's one of the best DDs tier-for-tier in the game (IMO, of course); the only problem - which is why mine don't get used as much as they should - is the lousy AA, which means you only have your smoke if a CV takes an interest in you. Admittedly, RN smoke is the type you want when Just Dodging, but it would be better to at least take a few of the buggers with you. Cossack and Haida, for obvious reasons, are very similar; besides lacking Mighty Secondaries ("cower in fear, puny mortals!"), Cossack doesn't get crawling smoke, which is the root of their differences in play style.

So, Cossack is a fine choice.

Ah, ofc, alas, Cossack it will be then.

• Cool 1

Players
247 posts
6,703 battles

Cossack. It almost feels like a tier 9. Good guns, amazing concealment, usable torps with an insane reload, great maneuverability which means you can dodge incoming fire very effectively, hydro to bully other dd's out of their smokescreens.

The only real downside is the speed, but unlike the tech tree RN dd's, Cossack gets a speedboost if you really need to GTFO.

Especially in ranked Cossack is amazing to just brutalize other dd's and have fun after.

• Cool 1

Players
2,062 posts
On 6/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, Camperdown said:

Z-39 is a DD that is not a DD. More leans towards the new German line. But it has more versatility than Z-31 

Its hands down one of the best DDs in its Tier if you know how to play her.

Cossack is the best T8 DD in existence (maybe except Harekaze 1)

It can cap contest, but it can't cap dominate like the Germans usually can.

Players
770 posts
6,915 battles

I would suggest Lightning over Cossack as the latter has only four torpedo tubes on a single launcher and the match gets really frustrating when your ONLY torp launcher is disabled (or destroyed) when you need it the most. Those pop guns are virtually the same and both DDs can get their concealment down to 5.5km. Anyways, I'm not really a fan of British DDs but go for it if you want to have fun torping bow tanking BBs with those single firing torps ;)

• Bad 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

That single launcher really must have frustrated him silly....missed me 3 x with easy to avoid single waves where multiple waves of double or triple launchers would have resulted in a very different situation.

- No AA

- No stopping power vs BB.

bbkill.jpg

Players
4,045 posts
14,528 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

That sinlge launcher really must have frustrrated him....

No AA, no power vs BB.

bbkill.jpg

And your point in this is??

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
176 posts
18,520 battles
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

That sinlge launcher really must have frustrated him silly....missed me 3 x with easy to avoid single waves where multipe waves of double or triple launchers would have resulted in a very different situation.

No AA, no power vs BB.

bbkill.jpg

You want AA on a premium DD? Take the Kidd. 
Cossacks superb concealment is a hard target for CV’s. And will lose interest and focus on other targets. 

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
16 minutes ago, LeSnoet said:

You want AA on a premium DD? Take the Kidd. 
Cossacks superb concealment is a hard target for CV’s. And will lose interest and focus on other targets. 

I play both...got Jenkins on Kidd as well.....i know what their strenghts and weakness are.

It is not just an ordinary kill.....it is the result of a single laucher gimping Cossack completely, painfully exposing it's significant other weakness.

• Bad 3

Players
4,045 posts
14,528 battles
Just now, Beastofwar said:

I play both...i know what their strenghts and weakness are.

But one of Cossacks weaknesses killed it here. It may be powerful vs DD but that is about it. There are far better DD then this.

Again. Just because YOU can't make it more than a 1 trick pony....

[-GGS-]
Players
525 posts
11,561 battles

Cossak, its an amazing ship. I would go with it because its the most fun out of the two.

Z-39 is strong to, its basicly a weak t8 at t7. Not as fun though as it handles as a pregnant whale. Its insanely tanky though for a t7 DD.

I play to little now for it to matter but I had a look at my old stats in them.

Cossak 76% WR

Z-39 73% WR

They are very good ships, you cant really go wrong.

• Cool 1

[-S3I-]
Players
186 posts
4,579 battles

Assuming I have enough doubloons for Haida, would you recommend getting it or should I gather up a more and get Cossack?

I do have T61 and Z39.

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
176 posts
18,520 battles
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I play both...got Jenkins on Kidd as well.....i know what their strenghts and weakness are.

It is not just an ordinary kill.....it is the result of a single laucher gimping Cossack completely, painfully exposing it's significant other weakness.

*breaking news* 

Use it guns. 

Players
573 posts

Cossack is strong within its tier and uptiers extremely well. Z39 s brutal in T7, but uptiers meh. Loyang is not as dominant, but still good and super fun.

• Cool 1

[CORNG]
Players
2,162 posts
18,262 battles
10 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

The fact that some ships not only have strengths but also some weaknesses doesn't make them useless, it is just a balancing factor (Hey, nobody wants ships without any wekness in the game, right? Oh, nvm...) and the player should be aware of strengths and weaknesses of his ships and work with this. But this is of course too much if you just can post a screen shot of one situation where a BB dogded a few torps.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,226 battles
11 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Well, y'know. 10km cruiser torps on a 66 second reload aren't so bad, especially when you have a smoke screen available every 70 seconds to fire them from. And that bracketing thing you can do with the single fire torps means you'll always land one, so anything attacking Cossack tends to be on fire or flooding.

I can see why you might prefer Lightning, though. It is a *very* good destroyer. Probably the best of the traditional Tier VIII DDs in the Tech Tree. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles
11 hours ago, Peroidas said:

Assuming I have enough doubloons for Haida, would you recommend getting it or should I gather up a more and get Cossack?

Look, the Haida is going to be removed...this is one thing. And the Haida is a good ship. High skill floor however. 

The Cossack is maybe the best DD tier for tier. And in all fairness she is worth the money.

• Cool 2

Players
6,338 posts
12,813 battles
2 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Look, the Haida is going to be removed...this is one thing. And the Haida is a good ship. High skill floor however. 

The Cossack is maybe the best DD tier for tier. And in all fairness she is worth the money.

Haida should be gone by now.

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles
1 minute ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Haida should be gone by now.

oh yes....poor me havent opened the game for maybe more than a week....I guess my game clock is on desync

LOL

so...my answer should be...get the Cossack LOL

• Funny 1