You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MightyMac22

Why is game play so different depending on battle type ?

33 comments in this topic

[TF57]
Players
53 posts

Just curious, does anyone have any idea's or theory as to why the experience is so totally different between co-op and ranked or randoms ?

In Co- op and on the TST server for that matter you get a situation where if your playing a DD then the second you spot an enemy all hell breaks loose and your team focus fire that ship.

You play randoms or ranked and call out the target  and get ignored.

I realise that the perceived "help" is just people being greedy and trying hard to kill ships before others do for missions most of the time, however wouldn't you think that at some point the penny would drop that "hey this actually works well "

It just seems that the same people are playing what is after all the same game totally differently depending on the battle type ?

[CATS]
Players
32,507 posts
16,285 battles
  • CoOP - Bots behave predictably and are easy to hit, after a couple battles, most players know what to do and when to do it, battles do not change
  • Ranked - teams are smaller, individual players have more influence, battles are more focussed on the objective than Random as Caps generate points much quicker
  • Random - battles are less focussed as objectives are reached slower and individual players have less influence
  • Cool 3

Players
434 posts
10,958 battles
24 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

TST server

In a TST server, you'll find more experienced players of WOWS than in live servers.  TST server is where the veterans go to sample what is being well, tested.  

Curious, why aren't you playing on a Public Test Server and not the TST server? As TST server is time limited access after patch release.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
568 posts
7,651 battles

Coop: Nobody cares

Test: Noboy cares

Random: Idiots

Ranked: Idiots

Always a pleasure to help.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 13

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

In Coop bots basicly just race to the other side of the map shooting at anything they see. If you learn anything there it is flanking damage nets the best results.

Randoms is just a massed wall of human enemies that are waiting to mass focus on the first enemy that happens to pop into view. You basicly can't do a lot before the wall of enemies is thinned out.

Ranked is a tactical mode where taking risks comes with high reward, there is no massed wall of enemies so you can move agressive and free.

Operations is a mode where bots are scripted into various spawning patterns and courses. It offers more challenge then Coop but less then PvP once you get to recongnise the patterns.

When you are looking for close cooperation between players to achieve game objectives, you probably need to find a clan that fights clan battles. In all other modes everyone is out to get the highest score for himself and only rudimentary will cooperate if that will yield more profit. The game itself does not reward cooperation specifically, only the higher win chance doing it being some incentive...but as you noticed, a very weak one.

• Boring 1

Players
4,238 posts
20,594 battles
54 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

In a TST server, you'll find more experienced players of WOWS than in live servers. 

Players in TST server are just lets say questionable. They are so bad i get the feeling that they all have their screens covered with glue and they are licking to clear it. Its impressive actually.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TF57]
Players
53 posts
41 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

In a TST server, you'll find more experienced players of WOWS than in live servers.  TST server is where the veterans go to sample what is being well, tested.  

Curious, why aren't you playing on a Public Test Server and not the TST server? As TST server is time limited access after patch release.

TST server to check out the new submarine developments.

I don't really have an interest in the submarines but, well you can't make an informed opinion unless you try it.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,645 posts
29,200 battles
1 hour ago, MightyMac22 said:

In Co- op and on the TST server for that matter you get a situation where if your playing a DD then the second you spot an enemy all hell breaks loose and your team focus fire that ship.

If you have that experience in coop, you most likely are teamed with people who do missions. I have seen same "flanking", camping behind islands with BB and max range BS that you see in randoms in coop by players who genuinely are afraid of bots. They just dont know what they are playing against.

When it comes to TST, my guess is 0 F-s are given.

• Cool 1

[TF57]
Players
53 posts

Thanks for the replies,

What I am taking from then is that there really is no reasoning behind it.

Its bloody infuriating but it is what it is.

Players
2,061 posts
3 hours ago, MightyMac22 said:

Just curious, does anyone have any idea's or theory as to why the experience is so totally different between co-op and ranked or randoms ?

I realise that the perceived "help" is just people being greedy and trying hard to kill ships before others do for missions most of the time, however wouldn't you think that at some point the penny would drop that "hey this actually works well "

It just seems that the same people are playing what is after all the same game totally differently depending on the battle type ?

CO-OP, you fight bots and with players who wanna farm credits with the best dmg

Randoms is full of randoms, so expect random randomness from random randoms

Ranked is all about dmg and winning

[GW_KR]
Players
433 posts
16,429 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

In Coop bots basicly just race to the other side of the map shooting at anything they see. If you learn anything there it is flanking damage nets the best results.

My experience in coop gives that the bots focus on the nearest lowest hp target first, while moving towards the nearest neutral or enemy cap. At least this is what I can see. 
I an genuinly curious if this is correct. I think I read this somewhere so it’s not MY theory… What do you think?

• Cool 1

Players
240 posts
6,136 battles

Just had a ranked game where our Alsace (45 % WR after 9000 + games) went off on its own to flank the enemy which didn’t work because by the time he got there 4 of the team were dead and it was too late 

No idea what they thought they were doing but some of the player base continues to astound most people by not even understanding the basics 🙃

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
2 hours ago, totally_potato said:

Ranked is all about dmg and winning

In ranked, wins are often secured by capping uncontested caps as fast as possible ( giving a head start in points ) and snatching caps behind the enemies back and taking back caps where enemies are not near..........

To do that in DD you do not fire your guns or launch torpedo's all the time. As that gives away where you are and what you are trying to do. Low damage ( likely killing an enemy DD in your way ) but multi-cap does score and win matches.

In CV you try do kill the DD's. Not much damage on those scrawny ships. But it does score and win matches.

BB and Cruisers : kill the DD first. Not much damage on those scrawny ships. But it does score and win matches. The rest then usually feels blinded and run off the the maps edge. Or come chanrgen and are disposed with by torpedo soup.

• Cool 2

[TF57]
Players
53 posts

I had a game yesterday where I flanked in a BB we had the other team penned in one cap me with a crossfire and still the main if the team couldn't focus out the 5 I didn't get.

Sailing away from uncontested caps.

Not even trying.

Do you think Ranked dies something to their brains ?

Players
7,638 posts
6 hours ago, MightyMac22 said:

Not if you play on my enemy team... :Smile-angry:

• Funny 3

Players
240 posts
6,136 battles
19 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

I had a game yesterday where I flanked in a BB we had the other team penned in one cap me with a crossfire and still the main if the team couldn't focus out the 5 I didn't get.

Sailing away from uncontested caps.

Not even trying.

Do you think Ranked dies something to their brains ?

I think ranked shows the better and worse players more prominently 

I have seen some brilliant play in ranked both by my team and the enemy

There has also been in equal measure lots of “What the heck are you doing” play that even someone in Tier 4 would blush with embarrassment with 

Until / unless ranked has a minimum win rate needed to play it will continue to happen but it benefits no one. The player won’t learn anything, will probably blame their team mates and the cycle continues. The winners of the game think “That was easy” and then get a shock when they meet a competent team next time 

Only WG can solve it because they have created this problem by allowing people to buy high tier ships, whale their way into high tiers with no clue about how to win or even to understand the game basics

Sadly, as long as people pay the money, nothing will change ☹️

Players
2,061 posts
4 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

In ranked, wins are often secured by capping uncontested caps as fast as possible ( giving a head start in points ) and snatching caps behind the enemies back and taking back caps where enemies are not near..........

To do that in DD you do not fire your guns or launch torpedo's all the time. As that gives away where you are and what you are trying to do. Low damage ( likely killing an enemy DD in your way ) but multi-cap does score and win matches.

In CV you try do kill the DD's. Not much damage on those scrawny ships. But it does score and win matches.

BB and Cruisers : kill the DD first. Not much damage on those scrawny ships. But it does score and win matches. The rest then usually feels blinded and run off the the maps edge. Or come chanrgen and are disposed with by torpedo soup.

I know that

I ain't a rookie:cap_cool:

Players
3,274 posts
23,986 battles

Ever notice how the bots in Co-Op are mostly totally dumb and rush headlong into the enemy?

That of course also makes them super easy to hit.

Real players dodge, which makes them much harder to hit, so casual players prefer to choose easier targets, even though it makes no tactical sense.

[1-DFL]
Beta Tester
91 posts
9,120 battles

Because it's the whole point of differents mods to have differents gameplay.

If ranked was the same as ramdom, what would be the interest ?

[TF57]
Players
53 posts
10 minutes ago, Nyyo22 said:

Because it's the whole point of differents mods to have differents gameplay.

If ranked was the same as ramdom, what would be the interest ?

Ah yes I was waiting for you to turn up.

Was begining to think I was going to get away without but alas not.

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
9 hours ago, OldPappy said:

My experience in coop gives that the bots focus on the nearest lowest hp target first, while moving towards the nearest neutral or enemy cap. At least this is what I can see. 
I an genuinly curious if this is correct. I think I read this somewhere so it’s not MY theory… What do you think?

Yes bots always do that , both in Coop and Operations.

And usually when you are very low HP they are more dangerous and sharpshooting then any human player would be, it is extremely hard to escape from them and you often will not make it. You probably recognise that too.

When no human has taken damage yet  they still want to kill the lowest HP human. Usually that is full HP Cruisers because DD are still invisible. If full HP DD are not invisible then they have the lowest HP and bots want to kill them.

When you think of it it makes perfect sense : DD in PvP are the most important target to kill 1st too. After them Cruisers that want to kill alied DD. And the least important are BB, unless really low HP.  So humans should behave just like bots.....but they are often far more dimwitted.....shoot only at BB because they are so easy to hit and rack up high HE & fire damage numbers...which these BB heal right back and time is lost doing far more influential things. :Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1

[1-DFL]
Beta Tester
91 posts
9,120 battles
14 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

Ah yes I was waiting for you to turn up.

Was begining to think I was going to get away without but alas not.

Well, thanks. Being desired is always a pleasure.

Beta Tester
6,061 posts
23,189 battles
12 hours ago, OldPappy said:

I don't have that much experience in CoOp, only 3372 battles, but from this my impressions are:

• bots have a few "lines" to the enemy that they follow, but can get lured away from these by getting kited
  • bots don't give a flying eff about caps in Domination mode, they usually are set to go after the enemy ships (see exception below)
  • bots often "forget" about about a ship near them, when this ship stops firing at them. Works splendidly when in DD. Sometimes one can sail circles around a bot controlled BB without getting shot at except by secondaries
  • bots are dumb. Really, really, really dumb. Nearly as dumb as the dumbest human players. But they know no fear. They gladly storm into their fate...

From this I concluded that people who manage to have a CoOp winrate below 99.00% should go looking for some easier game to spend their time with.. like maybe Bingo or something like that...

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,539 posts
16,167 battles
45 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

I concluded that people who manage to have a CoOp winrate below 99.00% should go looking for some easier game to spend their time with.

In my defence, playing at anti-social hours often means you're the only human player on the team; one silly mistake and you're looking at a draw at least...

(Time zones.)

[GW_KR]
Players
433 posts
16,429 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

In my defence, playing at anti-social hours often means you're the only human player on the team; one silly mistake and you're looking at a draw at least...

(Time zones.)

Testing new ships and tactics or trying out a theory is s solid defence too I think!!😳😬🤔

(I hope!!!!😔)

• Cool 1