30 comments in this topic

Players
0 posts

I'm back playing again fresh from scratch.

Erased my old accounts which did not have many ships anyways on the EU,

other older accounts on other servers since playing several got to the point that it was regrinding every tree on each server,

while doing a normal daily job.

Not planning to use premiums until I get better at the game again.

Since I have a daily normal working hours job, I can't play all day, so looking at weekend games in general, maybe a few in the week.

I will concentrate on this account. And my goal is to reach the Tier 10 RN CV Audacious.

I would like to be a good player, and  not one who is a burden to the team on the randoms.

I play below to average on all types of ships but I have never played more than 200 games per type of ship in the past,

put have played 275 types of ships so far since Alpha Beta with last win rate about 51%.

But for about 2 and half years have not really played any real games, and just recently logged in and just got killed all day.

So just erased all the accounts, to concentrate on one.

Set a goal for one ship type I was terrible at less than 40% win rate for CVs, My Midway did 80,000 damage max.

And set the Royal Navy CV Audacious since not many people seem to play at it seems. :P

Challenge myself to do better at what I do the worst.

Any help would be appreciated on how to grind better.

Action Stations.

RN tier 10 Audacious.jpg

[VIBES]
Players
1,200 posts
22,829 battles
46 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

And set the Royal Navy CV Audacious since not many people seem to play at it seems. :P

Honey, there's a reason... :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
20 hours ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

Any help would be appreciated on how to grind better.

If you've been away for a while, the boring answer is to - more or less - act like an entirely new player (only without the avoidable mistakes).

Get yourself up to speed again on all classes up to mid tier; don't rush up the tiers. A lot has changed, so it'd be a good idea to get used to the current meta. With regard to CVs, if you must play them, I'd suggest initially getting reacquainted with the class via the US/IJN lines - the RN line is generally felt to be the poorest, so relearning will be painful with them.

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts

I will try that out. Slowly moving up the tiers sounds good.

Thank you for your good suggestion.

I sincerely hope to see you some day online.

I wish you have a great week~ :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
40 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I wish you have a great week~ :)

Thank you - you too!

BTW another suggestion (not directly playing related): suggest joining a clan as soon as you are able; the main reason for doing so is that - if they have a developed base - there are useful economic bonuses to be had.

If you aren't interested in competitive play, or don't feel ready yet, there are plenty of more casual clans out there (which basically exist to bag said bonuses). Joining a clan isn't 'forever'; you can change clans, although there is a cool-down period between leaving one and being able to join another.

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts

Thank you again for a great suggestion.

I would definitely like to join a clan if they accept me even though I'm in a new account. Any help is welcome :P

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
59 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I would definitely like to join a clan if they accept me even though I'm in a new account.

A good starting point is the Clans section of the forum: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/508-clan-recruitment/

That'll give you an idea of what's out there; have a look and see if there is anything there that might do the job.

I can't remember what account level you need to be at to join a clan, so you *may* have to get a certain number of battles under your belt first...

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts

Awesome! Thanks again. :)

Thanks to you I played a Random battle with confidence getting a Kraken against 3 real players and bots because I was thinking it was a Co-op Battle.

I tried really hard to find the clan searching button with the Co-op battle mode.

However, I could not find it so, I thought perhaps if I press the random battles mode I would see it.

Unfortunately, I could not find it and so decided to go to battle anyways.

The funny part is that I completely forgot to change back to Co-op battle mode. :P

While destroying bots, I found a player with a real player looking name.

So I pressed the TAB button to see why. To my surprise there were 3 real players on the other side beside the bots.

I hurried back to game and continued to battle.

To my surprise at the end of the battle I got a Kraken. I killed 7 ships on another battle in Co-op and did not get any Kraken.

So it felt weird. I found out finally on the victory screen at the end of the battle that it was a random one. :P

The way I played it in the past, was that when I made a new account, I played Co-op battles until I reached tier 4 and 

until I had all the equipment researched, with some camou and flags on my tier 4 ship.

I will definitely work on the number of battles now. :P

Thank you for all your help today :D

And thanks for giving me the confidence to play hard to get a Kraken on my first try in Random battles even if bots.

Since I'm a real noob and potatoe it was a shock!

I wish you have a great battle today as well for you enabled me to play a great game too. :P

first captain points exp.jpg

first random and kraken against bots and 3 real players.jpg

first random enemy real player ship destroyed.jpg

first random.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
36 posts
1,246 battles

As a CV player you are always a burden. By being on your team, you make sure there is a CV on the enemy team as well. 
The vast majority of players prefer no CV's to be in their game. 

And it's not because CV's are so OP. Since the rework I have yet to see a CV ranking nr1 on the score screen. (yes i am also a returning noob and have played the CV's before the rework. They were much more OP back then)
It's because you cant fight back against them, it's frustrating to have an enemy just chipping away it your HPs and having no way to fight back.
Its because they screw over the whole vision and concealment thing. DD's have their whole game plan down the drain in a game with CV's. (and a good cv player who can aim rockets is OP against DD's)

Other ships can also not really go out by themselves because then they will be the target of the CV. So instead of trying to find the best position to crossfire enemies, they tent to stay in groups behind some rock.

They are called fun police for a reason, they basically ruin the game. They cause frustration and reduce tactical options for all the other players. 
choosing to play CV is like choosing a career as a parking ticket officer. I honestly don't understand the developers didn't remove them from the game yet. Well i do understand, it must be the sunk cost fallacy. They developed them and don't want it to be for naught.

I started out with the intention to grind all my ships to T10, but changed course and decided to skipp all of the CV's. I will get all my ship lines to T10 except the CV's. They should have never been in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[LEGIO]
Players
152 posts

Best of luck with your CV grind, considering that the fighters got a massive nerf and are all but useless now.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
10 hours ago, Alchemist79 said:

As a CV player you are always a burden. By being on your team, you make sure there is a CV on the enemy team as well. 

The various 'CV Gods' on the forum would probably take issue with the first part, and having seen some of them in battle, I would tend to agree. A good CV player dramatically increases the chances of their team winning, so the trick is - if you want to play CVs - to git gud, and it matters more that you are than in pretty much any other class.

I'm not certain the latter part is true; I'm a DD main, so I'm generally happier without aircraft around; there are exceptions though e.g. whenever I take Halland out, I actively hope for CVs (especially if they're T8s). It also depends a bit on how good the CVs are; if I'm facing a typical (idiot) CV, that makes me happy almost regardless as it probably gives me almost free rein while they're farming my side's BBs for meaningless damage.

None of that makes CVs a well-designed class, and any CV is a menace in competent hands; luckily most CVs in the game aren't competent (especially me on the extremely rare occasions I take them out in PvP).

• Cool 2

Players
0 posts
11 hours ago, Alchemist79 said:

And it's not because CV's are so OP. Since the rework I have yet to see a CV ranking nr1 on the score screen. (yes i am also a returning noob and have played the CV's before the rework. They were much more OP back then)
It's because you cant fight back against them, it's frustrating to have an enemy just chipping away it your HPs and having no way to fight back.
Its because they screw over the whole vision and concealment thing. DD's have their whole game plan down the drain in a game with CV's. (and a good cv player who can aim rockets is OP against DD's)

Other ships can also not really go out by themselves because then they will be the target of the CV. So instead of trying to find the best position to crossfire enemies, they tent to stay in groups behind some rock.

They are called fun police for a reason, they basically ruin the game. They cause frustration and reduce tactical options for all the other players. 
choosing to play CV is like choosing a career as a parking ticket officer. I honestly don't understand the developers didn't remove them from the game yet. Well i do understand, it must be the sunk cost fallacy. They developed them and don't want it to be for naught.

I started out with the intention to grind all my ships to T10, but changed course and decided to skipp all of the CV's. I will get all my ship lines to T10 except the CV's. They should have never been in the game.

Thank you for a good all round good opinion on the current Meta on CVs. :)

I just did my few games against real players on the eu server, and there were even geez 2 cvs on each side in a few games, and as a lower tier my AA was even tough I press the O for concentrated AA fire , they were still non existent :P ...

Currently, grinding for the Tier 10 Minatour to earn enough credits to mass them to certain amount to build back my ship trees for clan battles and ranks.

I'm working on getting my aim better and improving my hit rate better for more DPM , can you give me some advice?

Thanks again. :) 

.581034989.png

Players
0 posts
8 hours ago, LadyJess said:

Best of luck with your CV grind, considering that the fighters got a massive nerf and are all but useless now.

I see. Thank you for the info on fighters. I didn't know about that. :D

.581034989.png

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
7 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I see. Thank you for the info on fighters. I didn't know about that. :D

.581034989.png

To get a handle on how the 'new' rockets behave, have a go in Ops, especially now - Aegis provides great practice against a range of targets (and the convoying ships don't shoot back at planes, for some reason).

I did a quick run through with Ark Royal last night (on the NA server - they get patches a day earlier), and was getting about the same number of rocket hits as before; *but* this wasn't against targets that can see where the machine gun rounds are going and manouevre to avoid your rockets.

To get a sense of how the changes impact proper battles, you'll have to try against real people who are trying not to get hit...

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

The various 'CV Gods' on the forum would probably take issue with the first part, and having seen some of them in battle, I would tend to agree. A good CV player dramatically increases the chances of their team winning, so the trick is - if you want to play CVs - to git gud, and it matters more that you are than in pretty much any other class.

I'm not certain the latter part is true; I'm a DD main, so I'm generally happier without aircraft around; there are exceptions though e.g. whenever I take Halland out, I actively hope for CVs (especially if they're T8s). It also depends a bit on how good the CVs are; if I'm facing a typical (idiot) CV, that makes me happy almost regardless as it probably gives me almost free rein while they're farming my side's BBs for meaningless damage.

None of that makes CVs a well-designed class, and any CV is a menace in competent hands; luckily most CVs in the game aren't competent (especially me on the extremely rare occasions I take them out in PvP).

You have a good point there.

I think among others if WG would do at least the 5 points below.

1. I think non-CV players should be able to attacking aim and fire AA at the CV planes.

2. All ships should have limit of ammo, planes the same limited number of payload so that even if the planes survive if you use up the supply of torpedoes/bombs they could only spot.

3. Long distance firing should not be as accurate as now, and the nearer you are you should have better accuracy, depending on the captain level, so if you have a 21 point captain aboard your aim would be better.

4. Smaller ship means harder to hit. The silly rocket planes should disappear.

5. CVs should have choice between torps or guns for last means of defense, and ability to control their fighter aircraft to defend themselves against other CV planes attack.

etc.

CV and overall WoWs game play would be better.

:)581034989.png

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
4 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I'll stay out of this one, except to say that - don't forget - this is an arcade game first and foremost, so more realistic elements like ammo limits will always be trumped by gameplay considerations.

After north of 15K games, I still don't know what is needed to 'fix' CVs, if indeed it can be done. Personally though, the damage they do is usually the least of my worries - what gets me is the spotting. That said, I play something like three quarters of my games in DDs (against real people anyway), which impacts my view of the class.

Rather than suggesting fixes (that WG will generally ignore), you'll probably find it less frustrating in the short term to focus on working out how to play round things as they are...

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

To get a handle on how the 'new' rockets behave, have a go in Ops, especially now - Aegis provides great practice against a range of targets (and the convoying ships don't shoot back at planes, for some reason).

I did a quick run through with Ark Royal last night (on the NA server - they get patches a day earlier), and was getting about the same number of rocket hits as before; *but* this wasn't against targets that can see where the machine gun rounds are going and manouevre to avoid your rockets.

To get a sense of how the changes impact proper battles, you'll have to try against real people who are trying not to get hit...

That is a great idea. :) 

I will definitely try the Aegis Ops when I get my captain to about 19 points on a tier 6 Royal Navy CV.

I also agree. On the first few battles, it was myself or a maximum of 3 players each side with bots. The aiming was more difficult because they stopped irregularly. From Tier 5, with an all real player vs real player atmosphere, I'm doing really bad, not getting a lot of hits and due to some good players tanking well, a lot of my Royal Navy AP shells just bounce off or break into pieces against BBs even though I was targeting the upper structure for higher tier ships. T T sob sob.

My overall damage is getting worse since players really dodge and do counter maneuvers for torpedoes and AP shells.

And because of the new patch Modstations were not installed some how, so I just installed it again and am doing a bit better. :P

Thanks for the awesome idea. I will try that in the near future. Currently working on Tier 7 Fiji today. It has more guns, I'm so eager to go to see. :P

581034989.png

Players
0 posts
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I'll stay out of this one, except to say that - don't forget - this is an arcade game first and foremost, so more realistic elements like ammo limits will always be trumped by gameplay considerations.

After north of 15K games, I still don't know what is needed to 'fix' CVs, if indeed it can be done. Personally though, the damage they do is usually the least of my worries - what gets me is the spotting. That said, I play something like three quarters of my games in DDs (against real people anyway), which impacts my view of the class.

Rather than suggesting fixes (that WG will generally ignore), you'll probably find it less frustrating in the short term to focus on working out how to play round things as they are...

You're right. That was just my wishes. I don't believe they will ever change.

I envy you, I would like to be great DD player like you some day too.

I believe the DD players are the real expert these days :D

Once again, thanks for your reply :P

581034989.png

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
12 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I will definitely try the Aegis Ops when I get my captain to about 19 points on a tier 6 Royal Navy CV.

Don't worry too much about captains for Ops; they're actually a pretty good place to develop newer ones (although I often play 21 pointers to generate elite xp, it doesn't have a huge impact on match outcome most of the time). More useful is to either watch YouTube videos on how to do each Op, and/or division with people who are already familiar - it'll make you less likely to mess up, and help maximise rewards (Ops are generally predictable, so the trick is often about doing what needs to be done, at the right time, and with maximum efficiency).

4 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I envy you, I would like to be great DD player like you some day too.

You're very kind, but be aware I'm merely an average DD player at best (and sub-average when you take all my PvP battles across all classes into consideration). I have played a very wide range of ships though, so my experience has perhaps quite a lot of breadth, if not much depth!

So, any tips from me are from the perspective of an average player; if you're after the word from the unicums, you're better off listening to other people (but look at their stats - not everyone who says they're an expert is!).

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
42 posts
4,343 battles

Hi there Rear_adm_Lyster,

Always nice to see people return to the game. Don't let yourself be stopped by other people's attitudes to whatever shipclass you want since in the end our own fun is what we play for. 

Royal Navy CV's are a class I quite enjoy. They aren't the obvious powerhouse like the Midway or Hakuryu but they also aren't without strength. What will mainly keep you back in this line is the limitations on the penetration values of the HE ammunition. You have to carefully select targets (by know knowing what you can't pen and can pen with your bombs and rockets) and planetypes for every strike you do. Once you master that trick you can make them work without much issues, even if it takes a tad more effort than other CV's. 

As for the quality of ingame fighters. The surfaceship fighter consumable will only latch upon a second strike or after the first, so it won't stop a second strike. Your carrier fighters need 3-4 seconds base to latch after arriving, however if you wish to use fighters actively in matches you can always pick enhanced reactions on your captain. Which massively reduces the time necessary to latch but also increases arrival time. 

17 hours ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

You have a good point there.

1. I think non-CV players should be able to attacking aim and fire AA at the CV planes.

2. All ships should have limit of ammo, planes the same limited number of payload so that even if the planes survive if you use up the supply of torpedoes/bombs they could only spot.

3. Long distance firing should not be as accurate as now, and the nearer you are you should have better accuracy, depending on the captain level, so if you have a 21 point captain aboard your aim would be better.

4. Smaller ship means harder to hit. The silly rocket planes should disappear.

5. CVs should have choice between torps or guns for last means of defense, and ability to control their fighter aircraft to defend themselves against other CV planes attack.

etc.

CV and overall WoWs game play would be better.

:)581034989.png

Its a few interesting observations, but i also have a few questions

1. If priority sector is too much too handle for most players then how will a minigame enhance overall performance?

2. Currently you have a limited number of planes over a match (regen doesn't mean unlimited planes). You can drop once with every and then return to the CV for new ammo. However if you completely limit ammunition what will you do when people start running out and will players be able to handle that or will they derp their ammo down the drain and then yolo?
3. We just got rid of Deadeye xD. 
4. I just dodge generally works (or should work) fine as long as you carefully manage your positioning. There is no need to make DDs invulnerable. 
5. If something ambushes you it should have a decent chance of killing you. You have secondaries and aa, why make it harder for a cv or dd to kill you?

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts
20 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Don't worry too much about captains for Ops; they're actually a pretty good place to develop newer ones (although I often play 21 pointers to generate elite xp, it doesn't have a huge impact on match outcome most of the time). More useful is to either watch YouTube videos on how to do each Op, and/or division with people who are already familiar - it'll make you less likely to mess up, and help maximise rewards (Ops are generally predictable, so the trick is often about doing what needs to be done, at the right time, and with maximum efficiency).

You're very kind, but be aware I'm merely an average DD player at best (and sub-average when you take all my PvP battles across all classes into consideration). I have played a very wide range of ships though, so my experience has perhaps quite a lot of breadth, if not much depth!

So, any tips from me are from the perspective of an average player; if you're after the word from the unicums, you're better off listening to other people (but look at their stats - not everyone who says they're an expert is!).

To be honest, just because someone is unicom or super unicom does not mean they are nice people.

Like I said in the start of this thread, people who take the time read and answer positively to beginners and returning people like me are those who keep the game alive.

Having 80% or up win rate doesn't mean thing to me.

Enjoying the game is more important to me :P

• Cool 2

Players
0 posts
3 hours ago, tornado2453 said:

Hi there Rear_adm_Lyster,

Always nice to see people return to the game. Don't let yourself be stopped by other people's attitudes to whatever shipclass you want since in the end our own fun is what we play for. 

Royal Navy CV's are a class I quite enjoy. They aren't the obvious powerhouse like the Midway or Hakuryu but they also aren't without strength. What will mainly keep you back in this line is the limitations on the penetration values of the HE ammunition. You have to carefully select targets (by know knowing what you can't pen and can pen with your bombs and rockets) and planetypes for every strike you do. Once you master that trick you can make them work without much issues, even if it takes a tad more effort than other CV's. 

As for the quality of ingame fighters. The surfaceship fighter consumable will only latch upon a second strike or after the first, so it won't stop a second strike. Your carrier fighters need 3-4 seconds base to latch after arriving, however if you wish to use fighters actively in matches you can always pick enhanced reactions on your captain. Which massively reduces the time necessary to latch but also increases arrival time. 

Its a few interesting observations, but i also have a few questions

1. If priority sector is too much too handle for most players then how will a minigame enhance overall performance?

2. Currently you have a limited number of planes over a match (regen doesn't mean unlimited planes). You can drop once with every and then return to the CV for new ammo. However if you completely limit ammunition what will you do when people start running out and will players be able to handle that or will they derp their ammo down the drain and then yolo?
3. We just got rid of Deadeye xD. 
4. I just dodge generally works (or should work) fine as long as you carefully manage your positioning. There is no need to make DDs invulnerable. 
5. If something ambushes you it should have a decent chance of killing you. You have secondaries and aa, why make it harder for a cv or dd to kill you?

1-5 were just my wish lists, I thank you for your advice and support. :P I will try hard to improve myself, thanks for your interests and good points :D

Players
0 posts
1 minute ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

1-5 were just my wish lists, I thank you for your advice and support. :P I will try hard to improve myself, thanks for your interests and good points :D

You are right 1-5 is depending on the person's subjective views. 

The WoWs has no 'balans', and is not the reason I play the game. 

I have great memories serving at sea, and watching the sun go down after a watch at sea.

Is the people who care and sincerely help others like you. I send you my warm regards. o7.

Thanks again :D I really appreciate any help, and I'm getting worse with my hit rate and getting citadelled to death now at Tier 8 TT Edinburg (Road to Minatour).

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
55 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

To be honest, just because someone is unicom or super unicom does not mean they are nice people.

That's certainly true, but we do have both on the forum; the Gameplay section is usually the best place to ask questions where you want expert feedback - there are a few 'CV Gods' who periodically post on there; ditto for the other classes.

29 minutes ago, Rear_Adm_Lyster said:

I'm getting worse with my hit rate and getting citadelled to death now at Tier 8 TT Edinburg (Road to Minatour).

Although not universally the case (there are quite a lot of folk at T10 who shouldn't really be playing above about T6), as you go up the tiers, you start to meet more experienced players more frequently; these people will be more practiced in things like evasive manouevring, angling, and so on, all of which make getting solid hits harder.

Edinburgh (and all the other RN CLs, come to that) is notoriously squishy, and not 'easy mode'; you're also facing opponents with really big overmatching guns, many of whom can aim. I'm a poor cruiser player, but I spend most of my time keeping a very close eye on my mini-map (useful habit from being a DD main, although everyone should do it); the key aim is to try and ensure you don't give anyone your broadside. Cruisers are one of the harder classes to play and the combination of (generally) poor armour and inviting citadels is part of the reason why.

The other difficulty with playing higher tier RN CLs is that they generally rely on their smoke for survivability; at higher tiers, you are more likely to encounter players who are good at countering angry smoke clouds, and - with your smoke nullified - you're just another squishy target. The other challenge with the RN CLs is that they only get AP ammo, so your aim and positioning have to be spot-on, and there isn't much you can do against a well angled target.

For a relative newcomer, I would strongly recommend not playing the RN CLs as a first cruiser line. Instead, focus on - perhaps - either the IJN (good all-rounders, and worthwhile learning tools), or the Russians (the 'original' line that goes via Chapy; their guns have great ballistics, so are useful for aiming practice, and you get the 12 km radar from T8).

BTW if you want to get a sense of your ships' armour layouts, where their citadels are and similar, it's worthwhile using the armour viewer option in port ('Armor Layout', top right, just under the captain panel). This, for example, is Edinburgh, showing only her citadel and turret armour:

image.thumb.png.6600b65488b21ae4c1743c3c34cff260.png

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this