You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
2zzge

Annoyed AF

30 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts

Hi, firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong place, it is my first post. Secondly to be clear I don't claim to be a good or even average player I have too many ships to be able to  build experience / captain skills on. I was beginning to stick with one ship,  KGV but find that although i am landing plenty of hits it just isnt doing a lot of damage fast enough to make an impact. I will keep trying though. This is my first post which i feel i have to make in order to get some advice (constructive) and experience from other players.

HMS Lion......yes I know it has been done to death, forgive me its just that  I cannot believe after the long grind to get her,  just how terrible she is. I have Warspite, KGV, Monarch and now Lion. I hoped she would be ok for her tier but she is worse than KGV at tier VII. Her "armour" all but dissapears quite literally in a puff of smoke. 

DD, CL, BB, school kid with a bb gun, all take huge chunks of HP from her after one salvo, WTF.

HE is not even KGV standard, 1 or 2 pens, a fire now and again. AP......is a joke,  e.g today a broadside cruiser 12 km, results in overpens. An Amagi 10km grounded himself, almost broadside = ricochets, non penetrations, swap to HE .....2 pen 1 fire.  In my albeit limited experience it is the worst ship i have played, WG need to rethink if they believe this ship is "balanced". It seems to attract enemy fire like Christmas has came early!  I dont think I can face the grind to Conqueror if it is more of the same.........tell me Conqueror will  kiss it all better like your granny soothing  your  skinned knees.....?

• Cool 1

Players
3,116 posts

Use HE more at the start wit it unless someone parks in front of you broadside, use island cover to protect one side or the forward turrets only, not to show yours, don't isolate yourself. I hated the ship (but the whole line except Conq is mediocre for me) but I do have the prem which is decent but nothing special again. BBs have different style each but positioning and knowing when to push or retreat beats guns for me. Also going up a tier is always a shock. I remember getting blapped like 9-10 games in a row in a dd before firing a shot when I reached t8. While gluesnifers populate all tiers, up there some pedes are pretty good.  

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles
  • The UK BB techtree is not the best BB tree for high Tiers
  • UK BB are too focussed on HE, which is unfortunately not a good tool for decisive blows
  • WG expects you to stay alive long enough in UK BB to make your HE count in the end
  • UK BB AP can be powerful, but you really need to learn where it works and where it does not, focus it on cruisers or the upper belt of broadside BB
  • Warspite was the first UK BB in the game and does not follow the design principle of the tech tree, which makes her a really good ship
  • Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[_I_]
Players
1,489 posts
21,490 battles
45 minutes ago, 2zzge said:

has came early!  I dont think I can face the grind to Conqueror if it is more of the same.........tell me Conqueror will  kiss it all better like your granny soothing  your  skinned knees.....?

RN BBs are kinda boring, play some proper AP using BBs like Montana :cap_like:

edit: Conqueror is ok with stealth build and sneaking up on unsuspecting victims with AP... HE shooting at 20km is at a tad boring in the long run for me.

• Cool 2

[ESTAB]
Players
113 posts
9,465 battles

A lot of people hate on Lion, but when I got to it I found it extremely easy to play so long as I got out of my German Brawler mindset.

Two things to keep in mind is that its a damage over time ship and thus caution/patience is rewarded and like most British ships the concealment it good so use it. Never be up front and centre, but ensure you are close enough to have a few targets. Set something on fire, switch to another target, go back to the first once he damage controls. Priority target tells you that more than one ship is targeting you, go dark, let them shoot something else then fire again. If done right you can be a major pain to anything with the biggest guns as you can fire and go dark before they reload forcing them to shoot someone else, or hold fire to wait for you to show yourself again (which removed his damage against your team for a period of time). 

Also, shoot the DD's. Just do it. If even some of your HE shells connect, that spotted enemy DD is having a bad day.

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
44 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Use HE more at the start wit it unless someone parks in front of you broadside, use island cover to protect one side or the forward turrets only, not to show yours, don't isolate yourself. I hated the ship (but the whole line except Conq is mediocre for me) but I do have the prem which is decent but nothing special again. BBs have different style each but positioning and knowing when to push or retreat beats guns for me. Also going up a tier is always a shock. I remember getting blapped like 9-10 games in a row in a dd before firing a shot when I reached t8. While gluesnifers populate all tiers, up there some pedes are pretty good.  

Hi thanks for that, what is the prem? Regarding KGV, has it had a nerf as it doesnt seem to do as much damage as it once did? My problem is usually getting torped but in Lion getting burned down and taking hits through the bow seems to happen frequently. 

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
39 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • The UK BB techtree is not the best BB tree for high Tiers
  • UK BB are too focussed on HE, which is unfortunately not a good tool for decisive blows
  • WG expects you to stay alive long enough in UK BB to make your HE count in the end
  • UK BB AP can be powerful, but you really need to learn where it works and where it does not, focus it on cruisers or the upper belt of broadside BB
  • Warspite was the first UK BB in the game and does not follow the design principle of the tech tree, which makes her a really good ship

I do ok in Warspite but she is slow at everything so i use her in ops mainly. Thank you, i might try Russian line.

Players
743 posts
6,853 battles

You don't have to grind Lion if you don't want to y'know. That's what Free XP is for :/   

British BBs are freaks of nature which requires you to adapt your playstyle accordingly  so that you're more HE focused but don't shy away from using AP when the situation arises,  RN's HE salvos does give you reliable damage but can't deal deadly blows like 'proper' battleships of Soviet, Japanese, 'Murican or German trees

• Cool 2

[BOATY]
Players
1,315 posts
16,606 battles

UK BB's, as many have stated are more focused on HE. This does not mean AP is useless or should not be used. UK bbs have what I call game stages. Early game 100% HE. Mid game about 50/50 between HE and AP depending on situations and positioning, endgame mostly 100% HE to max out damage and thus more XP. Yeah AP can have a great impact on killing cruisers and even a BB, but it can be mitigated pretty decently due to armor. UK HE shells less so. And as any bb captain will tell you it is not uncommon for a UK bb to light 3 fires on you when you least want it. As a cruiser main I can attest that FIRE and HE ranks right up there with cv's in terms of complaints by bb players. So yeah you may find the AP lacking but remember while others lobbing AP are ricocheting you will be doing damage via HE and fire. If all you are looking for is that quick fix 5 digit nuke then may I suggest sticking to IJN or USN ships.

• Cool 3

Players
190 posts
23,893 battles

Very good concealment, zombie heal, HE spam.

these three things should inform you of the play style to get the most from her.

Get into a kiting position, spam HE, go dark when focussed and taking damage, resist the urge to fire back, heal up, reposition. Rinse and repeat. 

never dam con a single fire, don’t forget to use your AP on cruisers, and hopefully by mid or end game when things have calmed down you are ina better position for 1 v 1.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,886 posts
49,985 battles

While not the carrying type of BBs they are sort of OK w good concealment, EL is very good to have. They are decent to get reasonable personal results in. I have reggrinded them several times, are now on Monarch. 

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
9 hours ago, Nibenay78 said:

RN BBs are kinda boring, play some proper AP using BBs like Montana :cap_like:

edit: Conqueror is ok with stealth build and sneaking up on unsuspecting victims with AP... HE shooting at 20km is at a tad boring in the long run for me.

Yes that sounds too much like sneaking around for me too!

Players
13 posts
6 hours ago, The_Finnster said:

Very good concealment, zombie heal, HE spam.

these three things should inform you of the play style to get the most from her.

Get into a kiting position, spam HE, go dark when focussed and taking damage, resist the urge to fire back, heal up, reposition. Rinse and repeat. 

never dam con a single fire, don’t forget to use your AP on cruisers, and hopefully by mid or end game when things have calmed down you are ina better position for 1 v 1.

I will rethink my stratedgy thanks

Players
13 posts
9 hours ago, Rawthorm said:

A lot of people hate on Lion, but when I got to it I found it extremely easy to play so long as I got out of my German Brawler mindset.

Two things to keep in mind is that its a damage over time ship and thus caution/patience is rewarded and like most British ships the concealment it good so use it. Never be up front and centre, but ensure you are close enough to have a few targets. Set something on fire, switch to another target, go back to the first once he damage controls. Priority target tells you that more than one ship is targeting you, go dark, let them shoot something else then fire again. If done right you can be a major pain to anything with the biggest guns as you can fire and go dark before they reload forcing them to shoot someone else, or hold fire to wait for you to show yourself again (which removed his damage against your team for a period of time). 

Also, shoot the DD's. Just do it. If even some of your HE shells connect, that spotted enemy DD is having a bad day.

Great advice thanks, i always have a go at dd's as i hate those sneaky fkers, cant see them usually until as if by magic 6 torps are taking you down!

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,102 posts
6,576 battles

I have one piece of advice when it comes to the RN BB's: As good as your HE is, and as tempting it is to just only use that shell type, never forget you have two shell types for a reason, your AP will surprise you in a good way from time to time.

• Cool 1

Players
3,274 posts
23,754 battles

KGV is actually really good.

It just can't nose-tank. But the belt is fairly sturdy. So all you need to do is angle right.

A sweet 26s reload means tons of dpm, especially once the Adrenaline Rage kicks in.

Load the funny English HE, keep a bit of distance, keep the belt angled and keep those guns going.

Basically like a very beefy cruiser.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
6 hours ago, lafeel said:

your AP will surprise you in a good way from time to time.

And in a bad way rest of the time…

• Funny 1

Players
13 posts
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

And in a bad way rest of the time…

That's been my experience, even on a big fat side on target...laod AP....bound to wreck this.....WTF. Sometimes I wonder if there is a sign above my head when i'm playing that screws with  RNG even further!

Players
13 posts
4 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

KGV is actually really good.

It just can't nose-tank. But the belt is fairly sturdy. So all you need to do is angle right.

A sweet 26 reload means tons of dpm, especially once the Adrenaline Rage kicks in.

Load the funny English HE, keep a bit of distance, keep the belt angled and keep those guns going.

Basically like a very beefy cruiser.

KGV was my fav goto ship, she just seems less effective for some reason. Cruisers really hurt her more than BBs. I used to burn down german bbs easily and they were my no1 target,  AP for cruisers, now overpens except for a rare citadel.

I have enough xp for Amagi or Vladivostick, forget Conqeror for a while.

[MUMMY]
Players
760 posts
10,625 battles

If you think thats bad dont try the Duke of York, that boat is a special kind of lol.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SHAD]
Players
4,403 posts
16,398 battles

KGV is a fire spamming cruiser when bottom tier.

When top tier it’s short fuse AP works very well on the narrow cruisers you find down there.

Beta Tester
2,252 posts
20,169 battles
Vor 11 Stunden, 2zzge sagte:

Great advice thanks, i always have a go at dd's as i hate those sneaky fkers, cant see them usually until as if by magic 6 torps are taking you down!

And the usual advice for this is: Play DDs yourself to get a feel of when and where to expect torps.

• Cool 1

Players
2,018 posts
On 6/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, 2zzge said:

Hi, firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong place, it is my first post. Secondly to be clear I don't claim to be a good or even average player I have too many ships to be able to  build experience / captain skills on. I was beginning to stick with one ship,  KGV but find that although i am landing plenty of hits it just isnt doing a lot of damage fast enough to make an impact. I will keep trying though. This is my first post which i feel i have to make in order to get some advice (constructive) and experience from other players.

HMS Lion......yes I know it has been done to death, forgive me its just that  I cannot believe after the long grind to get her,  just how terrible she is. I have Warspite, KGV, Monarch and now Lion. I hoped she would be ok for her tier but she is worse than KGV at tier VII. Her "armour" all but dissapears quite literally in a puff of smoke. 

DD, CL, BB, school kid with a bb gun, all take huge chunks of HP from her after one salvo, WTF.

HE is not even KGV standard, 1 or 2 pens, a fire now and again. AP......is a joke,  e.g today a broadside cruiser 12 km, results in overpens. An Amagi 10km grounded himself, almost broadside = ricochets, non penetrations, swap to HE .....2 pen 1 fire.  In my albeit limited experience it is the worst ship i have played, WG need to rethink if they believe this ship is "balanced". It seems to attract enemy fire like Christmas has came early!  I dont think I can face the grind to Conqueror if it is more of the same.........tell me Conqueror will  kiss it all better like your granny soothing  your  skinned knees.....?

KGV is quite a good BB at her tier

She counters heavily armored BBs like Sinop, Gneisenau, etc.

Her accuracy isn't too bad tbh

What build are you using?

Also struggling in Lion? You gotta remember that British BBs get standard BB plating all round. In this case for KGV its 26 all round except the belt. 32 mm all round on Monarch, Lion and Conqueror.

You also might wanna use the HE quite a lot. First you have to stay at mid range, and use the HE shells and only when you get a broadside cruisers, or a cruiser you can overmatch (Lion has 16 inch guns, so it can overmatch all cruiser bow plating, can't overmatch the mid section of Russian heavy cruisers and tier 10 heavy cruisers in general. Your short fuse AP tends to cit cruisers more than other BBs. Your HE has enough pin to slap ultra light cruisers with cits. And you get a fire pretty much all the time. 

You do get an improved heal over others. Also Lion and Conqueror gets the Super Heals that prints you a new ship (brings half your Hp back)

You have to be conservative in british BBs. 

If you like aggressive stances, you push in, kill a ship, then flee, use that improved heal, get back into the fight, once you had enough, you can go back in heal. Its kinda fun to play them this way (well its still kinda works in KGV, but for the higher tiers, its a completely different meta). Also you have very good stealth. SO you can kinda close in to ranges, other Bbs or some cruisers couldn't, ambush the enemy, take the fire for a bit, deal dmg and retreat. That is practically the most fun way to play these BBs.

If you want more relaxing gameplay, play them like a heavy cruiser.