Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
undutchable80

[2021] Must-have non-premium ships per tier & class (Tier V)

Which tier V ships are considered must-have?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tier V Destroyer is a must-have?

• Minekaze
    • Nicholas
    • T-22
    • Mutsuki
    • Jianwei
    • Podvoisky
    • Acasta
    • Visby
    • Jaguar
    • None
  2. 2. Which Tier V Cruiser is a must-have?

• Königsberg
    • Omaha
    • Furutaka
    • Emerald
    • Émile Bertin
    • Raimondo Montecuccoli
    • Hawkins
    • Kotovsky
    • None
  3. 3. Which Tier V Battleship is a must-have?

• New York
    • König
    • Kongō
    • Iron Duke
    • Bretagne
    • Pyotr Velikiy
    • Conte di Cavour
    • None

13 comments in this topic

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles

Farutaka precedes all the powerful 200 mm IJN Cruisers after it. It is special.

If you like (extreme) long range gun battles Kongo is just the thing. It is special and very notable in that regard. Despite all the fuss about it, Tier VI Ise very much plays the same way.

Konigsberg is quite a dangerous Operations bot Cruiser, precedes the much loved high ROF German light Cruisers like Nurnberg.

Players
177 posts
176 battles

It goes without saying but no tech tree ship is a must have. They can be changed by Wargaming at any time. That aside there are two ships at tier v which are not only superior to their counterparts but also uptier well. Those ships are Furutaka and Kongo. They share thick deck armor, good speed and high caliber guns with the Kongo additionally having a monopoly on max range at its tier bracket. 

[THESO]
Players
1,662 posts
19,404 battles

None of the ships is a must-have. A few ships can be nice, depending on the personal preference and playstyle.

For me personal, the few T5 ships that got a perma camo are must-haves, as in "it's a sin to have a perma camo and not the ship".

The french T5-DD Jaguar is one of the ships I like to play a lot when regrinding the line. I got a perma camo from the event back then. It's a bit like the early russian DDs, but it has fast and hard hitting torpedoes and can stealth torp, which works well to ambush ships.

• Cool 1

Players
3,664 posts
12,621 battles

Pyotr and Nicolas are the only silver ships I have kept at tier 5.

One is a floating tank (I recall, don't play it much at all as I have the GC) and the other is a good gun boat DD.

All the other I have premium ships that do things better than the silver lines, surprise surprise. 

[O-V]
Players
182 posts
10,156 battles

I find first time round you play some ship you can think they are rubbish 

go back to them after you have played another 3000 battles and you see them in a different light   You found it was you that was rubbish and the ship was 

In a word 

KONGO ...Epic ship

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,928 posts
20,096 battles

There are a lot of fun ships at Tier V, it's only the lack of opportunities to play them in Ops which holds them back. For the the best/most fun ones arer  Podvoisky , Furutaka, Kongo. With honorable mentions to Jaguar, Emerald, Conti Di Cavour. Podvoi was added to the Soviet DD line when it was split back in the day (2018?) and never really got the love it deserved (especially with her war canoe sister about) but it's a hilariously fast gunboat with suicide torps, at a Tier where BBs are sluggish and can often be surprised. That's reason enough for me. 

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
805 posts
22,536 battles

DDs I got two here, both torpedoboats with good concealment, but bad gunnery: Minekaze and T-22. Both can teach you how to use good concealment to get into capping or torpedo position, though with slightly different approaches: Minekaze is very fast, while T-22 is slow, but has the added versatility with hydro.

For cruisers, the obvious answer would be Furutaka, possibly the strongest t5 cruiser, even including premiums. Only two real weaknesses: Low DPM and slow rudder, apart from that an all-round carefree package. However, I have a second one which is a must have for me: Émile Bertin. The ridiciculous speed catches so many people off guard regularly and you can even run down most DDs. DPM is quite bad and she is no armour to speak of, but that can also help sometimes, since you will get a lot of overpens instead of pens or citadels.

Battleship: Kongo: Great speed which helps especially when being uptiered. Guns are few, but strong. Balanced by comparatively bad armour and bad concealment, as well as her size.

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

I got several but must haves - none

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles
55 minutes ago, undutchable80 said:

22 voters and only 6 commentors, come on captains; you can do better than that. ;-)

Low tier ships geneally do not interest the forums population.

In part because you can rush through them in minutes or at most hours. Not many players really enjoy them because they get no time to do that. That is why it is a pity there are no Operations for it. Those you replay a lot with enjoyable ships at that set tier of the Operation.

If WG weren't so lazy these Operations could even be used ( as tutorials ) to prepare players for mechanics they will see entering the next tier. So suddenly running into hydro, radar, cruiser and DD  with heals, Deep Water torpedoes, having AA off as default on DD  and much more will be no mystery and less painful to learn to deal with.

• Cool 1

Players
744 posts
6,853 battles

Must have? lol

T5 is a means to an end. You grind, sell and never think about them again unless it's for RB. 

These are the ONLY tier 5 I have and the only one I have actually paid for is Oktober Revolution and CCCP camo, others I either got from an event, directive, or a super container. 

shot-21_06.12_22_53.59-0260.thumb.jpg.075b2e45914f6d7335598cc90bad2245.jpg

• Bad 1

Players
2,018 posts
On 6/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, undutchable80 said:

So, following up on my must-have Tier 4 ships, I give you the Tier 5 list: what do you consider the "must-have" non premium tier 5 ships per class?

Thanks for voting and commenting!

~ Dutch

Link to the other polls:

Tier IV

Tier VI

Tier VII

Tier VIII

Tier IX

Tier X

The Big three ofc

Konig, Kongo and Pyotr

For DDs, minekaze and maybe Nicholas. Visby is nice