You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Suspension of disbelief - for me the line was crossed with introduction of Dutch cruiser parachute bombers and Japanese battleship hybrids - there are simply too many planes in their squadron...

77 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

Hi all,

Suspension of disbelief - for me the line was crossed with introduction of Dutch cruiser parachute bombers and Japanese battleship hybrids - there are simply too many planes in their squadron...

One (1) or two (2) planes in squadron (for Dutch cruiser parachute bombers and Japanese battleship hybrids) I could stomach - but this many airplanes I simply can't fathom / accept / believe in / understand... :Smile_sad:

How do you feel about this?

Leo "Apolo11"

• Cool 14
  • Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
32,414 posts
16,212 battles
  • Dutch Airstrike has no purpose in the game, except being a new gimmick
  • naval vessels have rarely the option to call in the land based air attacks and the Dutch military was not known for their world wide network of airbases to support them
  • hybrid ships in itself are ok, when they existed, but it would have been better if the planes had not been player controlled
  • Cool 11

[NWP]
Players
3,936 posts
18,027 battles

Well for me the line is/was,

- hybrid

- subs

- support CV

- another useless and unbalancable gimmick

Whatever arrives in game first.

PS: short topic title = best title :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

Players
2,018 posts
40 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

One (1) or two (2) planes in squadron (for Dutch cruiser parachute bombers and Japanese battleship hybrids) I could stomach - but this many airplanes I simply can't fathom / accept / believe in / understand... :Smile_sad:

How do you feel about this?

Leo "Apolo11"

I feel like the Airstrike needs a bit more work. Its a good concept 8/10 for that, but 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/10 execution. Needs a bit of change. Like make it so that only one out of the three can use each time cooldown second squad cooldown third squad Big cooldown

As for Hybrids, they are fine. I just think their limit in a div should be one.

• Cool 1

Players
474 posts
15,829 battles

Unfortunately, "World of Warplanes" wasn't a great success, so resources were freed up. These resources, called developer are now allowed to participate in "World of Warships" and this is where they implement their plans. At least that's my theory.

• Cool 7

Players
3,291 posts
10,799 battles

Suspension of disbelief? Lol? 

- main battery reload booster

- torpedo reload booster

- deep water torps

- smokescreen detection radius

- hp bars

- planes making 360 turns

- infinite ammo

- planes taking off from burning cv

- "citadel" dmg

Etc etc the list is endless. 

But this is the straw that breaks the camels back? Hmmkay. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
2,733 posts
21,065 battles

When ever it comes to post CV  rework issues on planes, you have to abandon all pretence of realism. It still grates on me watching a whole fighter squadron take off from the deck catapult on a cruiser. I know it’s done to be easy and it’s just WG being lazy but it really is ugly to watch.

• Cool 6

Players
0 posts

Since we don't pretend that the game has anything to do with realism or WW2 anymore.

Why  not suspend our disbelieve any further? And GO ALL IN!

- add fishing trawlers, their nets can disable the rudder of ships in a certain area

- add low yield atomic water mines with an EMP effect and loss of health for all ships. More severe the closer to the epicenter.

- add chaff to the dds to disturb the radar cruisers

- add Electronic warfare ships that disturb the communication between ships in team (can't see ship others are spotting)

- Add a main weapon but instead of shooting it drops a supply crate with extra heal to you team mates. The range would be, hmmmm, 12km ?

- etc.

Not sure if that would be the tipping point for some ppl., but after all that is going to be implemented this should fit right in, right?

• Funny 6

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,513 posts
27,672 battles

funny ngh, there's matches in which there seems to be more squads, including fighter, out than ever possible in rts... just with the difference, that up to 14 of these squads are flown by individua players!... oh, and ofc there's no more real no fly zones ships since rts got scrapped....

such success *slow clap* :etc_red_button:

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles

In attemtps to discredit Ise's balance the ship was abused by ganging up with 3 Ise's to display the ships "insane air power" but those players wish to ignore the exact same happens with any 3 others ships ganging up against 1 enemy.........

So other then that the Ise proved to be well balanced, even so a few days of mount foaming an the ship is all but forgotten. Not many ( if at all )  that claimed to be affected in a negative way even play tier 6 randoms......

So my opinion is i will wait and see when the ships actually arrive in game. I very much doubt they will be rediculously overpowered in roles and play they are meant for ( not dived ganging up 3:1 )

And yes there was a reason to give them a useful gimmick : Dutch Cruisers were notoriously weak, cheaply constructed, designed to run at lower costs  and not even intended for war purposes. ( they were floating PR platforms to impress/intimidate colonies )

• Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[TOXIC]
Players
1,132 posts
5,920 battles

If ever I need to top up my suspension of disbelief I take a good look at the extended Russian navy tech tree. After that everything else feels pretty mundane.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[-TPF-]
Players
4,928 posts
20,096 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Dutch Airstrike has no purpose in the game, except being a new gimmick
  • naval vessels have rarely the option to call in the land based air attacks and the Dutch military was not known for their world wide network of airbases to support them
  • hybrid ships in itself are ok, when they existed, but it would have been better if the planes had not been player controlled

We agree that "Airstrike" should be understood as "call in support from an external airbase" ... but then this is probably why WG gave the hybrids player controlled planes, as they had to be seen to be in control of the aircraft they had been shown launching.

1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Naval aviation was *very* important to the Dutch - to the extent that they put spotter planes on their *Destroyers*. Very much like the British to that extent, or any of the colonial powers of the time. And as WW2 progressed, aircraft direction became an important role for Cruisers (Max Hasting's book about Operation Pedestal is very good on this point, esp. how certain ship losses deprived the convoy of all facilities for aircraft direction). So it seems realistic, at least. 

48 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Well for me the line is/was,

- hybrid

- subs

- support CV

Funnily enough, the Operation Pedestal book I mentioned has several examples of exactly the type of things Support CVs would do - providing spotting and pathfinding for other forces, dropping chemical smoke screens to prevent ships in harbour from being attacked, and dropping mines in the path of convoys. Whether those were land based or carrier based planes seems irrelevant, providing that they are properly scaled.

It's subs which are the problem, for me. They belong in a different mode. We can't have them and carriers and hybrids and super battleships. It's just too much. 

• Cool 1

[R3B3L]
Players
1,505 posts
34,160 battles
1 hour ago, causalgamer said:

add low yield atomic water mines with an EMP effect and loss of health for all ships

This was announced by WG a few years ago, as part of the back-then April fools joke. Radioactive waste pouring from sinking ships, damaging others long-term or something like that.

[LUZ1]
Players
1,887 posts
15,468 battles

My disbelief in WGs incompetence has never been suspended :cap_cool:

• Cool 4

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles

Speaking of landbased bombers that attack naval targets......this was Yamamoto's* key strategy to be able to face much more powerful navies, as he knew Japan had too few ships to challange half of the world's navies by naval warfare alone.

That is why many notable warships were sunk by Japanese landbased bombers.

image.png.2825b4bb5c0389f79ef38dbc89e2479a.png

As i understood we had such land based bombers in the game twice : both in removed operations.

And know this too : allied navies in the Pacific war spend much of their time bombarding islands and airfields on these islands, as they were key targets. In the west Battleships and Cruisers bombarded coast targets. In contrast to that there were very few battles between Battleships in the entire global spanning war. But aircraft were everywhere and involved in nearly all conflict.

* Just like is said in John Wick : "If anything, tales about this man, if anything, have been watered down"

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts

Would be cool if there was a nation that could request a land based arti barrage. Or another nation that calls in mini submarines that disable the enemy ship.

• Funny 2

[TOXIC]
Players
1,132 posts
5,920 battles
13 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

We agree that "Airstrike" should be understood as "call in support from an external airbase" ...

So in a battle on the Ocean map, Dutch air support should take at least twice as long to arrive? 

3 minutes ago, causalgamer said:

Would be cool if there was a nation that could request a land based arti barrage. Or another nation that calls in mini submarines that disable the enemy ship.

Royal Navy ships should be able to deploy a fast attack craft (helicopters for high tiers) containing an SBS unit who board an enemy ship, disable half the systems and steal all their teabags before escaping.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
2,745 posts
24,559 battles
8 minutes ago, causalgamer said:

Im a simple guy, I just want the 90° Anchor-turn from "Battleship".

• Cool 2
  • Funny 7

Players
0 posts

We should add the consumable Doolittle Raid to Tier 8 and above US CV, but of course instead of bombing Tokyo, those Bombers would carpet bomb 5kmx5km on the map. It would be pretty powerful, so only 1 charge.

• Funny 3
  • Angry 1

Players
0 posts
5 minutes ago, Prophecy82 said:

Im a simple guy, I just want the 90° Anchor-turn from "Battleship".

I am with you there and great Idea btw! Add some nice water splash effect to it. Also it would cater to BB players which have been neglected for a while now.

EDIT: You also could add a new premium Missouri with Alien camo, where the Alien ship is in hovering over the Missouri in port but you don't see it in the battle :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
32,414 posts
16,212 battles
19 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Naval aviation was *very* important to the Dutch - to the extent that they put spotter planes on their *Destroyers*. Very much like the British to that extent, or any of the colonial powers of the time. And as WW2 progressed, aircraft direction became an important role for Cruisers (Max Hasting's book about Operation Pedestal is very good on this point, esp. how certain ship losses deprived the convoy of all facilities for aircraft direction). So it seems realistic, at least.

Having spotter planes on your ship is something different than calling down an massive air strike anywhere on the ocean.

The Dutch did not have such an massive airfleet all over the world.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles
12 minutes ago, causalgamer said:

I am with you there and great Idea btw! Add some nice water splash effect to it. Also it would cater to BB players which have been neglected for a while now.

You have obvioulsy not seen the new Battlefield spoiler....pilot jumps out of his jet, MANPAD's an enemy jet, uses his wingsuit to fly to his falling jet, enters it and flies away victious.......imagine you would have to have to develop jet dogfighting skills and flight characteristics that even resemble real physics.....

Such is the public that game caters too.....No wonder some more complex mechanisms may prove too much for them in a game as this. Hence probably the call for shell lobbing only.

Players
7,575 posts
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Having spotter planes on your ship is something different than calling down an massive air strike anywhere on the ocean.

The Dutch did not have such an massive airfleet all over the world.

Spotter planes that can't actually even spot their own ****.

• Cool 1