Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Z-31. Not as bad as all that?

30 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
4,932 posts
20,111 battles

Strange isn't it?  When this ship was launched we all (including me) got properly stuck into it. Terrible torpedoes! You'll never hit anything with 52 knots! Tier I DPM! Ha ha ha ha! WG what you thking OLOLOLOL???!

And yet.... I've nearly finished gathering enough XP for the Maerker (when it's *finally* unlocked) and I have to say... I've quite enjoyed playing the Zedders(31). It's not *quite* as good as Zedders-39 and the ship does have its limits, but having gathered 100k XP with minimal aggro and finding Narai week fun (Natural Selection and Assistant in a gunboat DD??) I've rather enjoyed the ship and will probably keep it. Anyone else finding the ship fun to play or have I just committed a faux pas worthy of the legendary James "Gordon Bennett" Bennett?

• Cool 4

[SPURD]
Players
918 posts
7,344 battles

I don't think I'll keep it, but I had some fun with it. Cruisers at that tier and lower are made of paper and also not of good players usually, so you get to späh them quite often. Mostly I played it in ranked and it worked suprisingly well, probably because can't face T9 destroyers that demolish it.

• Cool 1

Players
3,228 posts
19,185 battles

Played mine ranked for 10 games: It's a fun playstyle and I enjoyed it, but that ship most assuredly does not carry games.

Shifted to Shiratsuyu once I needed to rank out, and the difference was immediate and obvious:

image.thumb.png.e10f05fa14185feb60d0598f0716a10e.png

image.thumb.png.67161de763ed30a7283ad64709dd4b82.png

What holds the Z31 back is basically concealment.

Give it competitive 6,2-ish stealth so it can actually spot dds and sneak into caps when it must and I think the other disadvantages could be worked around. It's the same issue facing Khabarovsk, Marceau and Klebers. They just dont work under any circumstancess as cap takers.

Question: Does anyone actually ever use HE with Z31?

I dont think I fired a single round, being throughouly happy with the AP.b

• Cool 1

[CAG]
Beta Tester
148 posts
13,652 battles

It's an ok ship, surprising sturdy against DDs that can't pen your midsection with HE. It kind of balances out the terrible DPM and with the improved dispersions, the damage you cause isn't too bad.

22 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Played mine ranked for 10 games and it's a fun playstyle and I enjoyed it, but that ship most assuredly does not carry games. 

I'd say it's the playstyle that isn't suited for ranked. The maps are tiny and there's huge pressure on the DDs to deal with each other asap. With the crap HE dpm, it simply isn't going to quick. Most of your fellow BB players are terrible and can't be counted on. 

[VIBES]
Players
1,201 posts
22,860 battles

She doesn't have the stopping power, concealment or consumables to shine in Ranked, for sure.

But some of those memelords who went on about "tIEr oNE DpM" just underestimated how much the insane accuracy of these guns can do for the ship, in terms of what percentage of that DPM actually reaches the target. The improved German HE doesn't hurt, either.

Give her a slightly better gun reload, or an extra smoke, and better reload on the torps, and you've got a truly strong ship, if one that needs a different playstyle than usual (which is a good thing, imho).

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
1,201 posts
22,860 battles
2 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Give it competitive 6,2-ish stealth so it can actually spot dds and sneak into caps

You mean before Concealment Expert, right?

The current 6.3 km is competitive with Jervis, Gadjah Mada and Akatsuki, though clearly not with Shira and Haida.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles

Every time I play the ship I have the feeling it is missing something.

With hydro she could do her job so much better.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[CR33D]
Players
32 posts
10,432 battles

The best thing about the Z-31 is shattering a lot of DD HE on the 25mm plating - it has more survivability in brawls then you expect. 

The worst thing is everything else - the AP overpens most destroyers and isn't quite enough against cruisers. 

Players
2,408 posts
9,494 battles

Basically, you cannot trust reviews more. There is the drama queen hunting for views, and the bandwagoners.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
8,750 posts
44,622 battles

T7 Z-31 in comparison to T8 GJ Mearker is... Underwhelming. Feels like it should be on T6 with that gun reload and torps. 

Players
3,228 posts
19,185 battles
5 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

You mean before Concealment Expert, right?

The current 6.3 km is competitive with Jervis, Gadjah Mada and Akatsuki, though clearly not with Shira and Haida.

Correct. Forgot I spent my points on AFT instead of CE :cap_tea:

[ALYEN]
Players
2,982 posts
4,460 battles
9 hours ago, Alteisen said:

It's an ok ship, surprising sturdy against DDs that can't pen your midsection with HE. It kind of balances out the terrible DPM and with the improved dispersions, the damage you cause isn't too bad.

I'd say it's the playstyle that isn't suited for ranked. The maps are tiny and there's huge pressure on the DDs to deal with each other asap. With the crap HE dpm, it simply isn't going to quick. Most of your fellow BB players are terrible and can't be counted on. 

that's not it .. I have played Guepard that does not have the best concealment worked still ... just not going for caps early game ...

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
11 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Strange isn't it?  When this ship was launched we all (including me) got properly stuck into it. Terrible torpedoes! You'll never hit anything with 52 knots! Tier I DPM! Ha ha ha ha! WG what you thking OLOLOLOL???!

And yet.... I've nearly finished gathering enough XP for the Maerker (when it's *finally* unlocked) and I have to say... I've quite enjoyed playing the Zedders(31). It's not *quite* as good as Zedders-39 and the ship does have its limits, but having gathered 100k XP with minimal aggro and finding Narai week fun (Natural Selection and Assistant in a gunboat DD??) I've rather enjoyed the ship and will probably keep it. Anyone else finding the ship fun to play or have I just committed a faux pas worthy of the legendary James "Gordon Bennett" Bennett?

Wait till you try the Shultz

[FAILS]
Players
805 posts
22,543 battles
2 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

That is one of the "problems" with her as well, do you go AFT first, since the ballistics and accuracy are good enough to reliably hit stuff at range or do you go concealment to be somewhat competitive, but then lose out on her gunnery advantage (since DPM is lousy)? I tried both and have not come to a definitive conclusion. I guess with a 14 pointer you could take both, but I would want AR at 13 and could not be bothered to play her so often as to warrant a high point captain anyway. So for now, my current captain will go on to Maerker next patch and a ten pointer is sitting at 6 points spent and waiting for the CE/AFT answer on Z-31 :Smile_veryhappy:

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles

Z-31 is not strong enough to really profit from AFT. For the later ships of the line it might be interesting, but even then I would go CE first.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts
17,960 battles

Still locked for me....

I can only judge by FenYang and ZF-6 that using AP as main damage source ( for which such DD are optimized )  is much more difficult then HE as main damage source as "classic" DD do.

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

CE gets one more mileage, FB is not a bad pick as well for Shultz

[-TPF-]
Players
4,932 posts
20,111 battles
55 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Wait till you try the Shultz

Ah, is it good? 

I never quite got the AP focus of the original German DD line, they never quite had enough DPM or hit hard enough to make it work. (Better now they've been buffed). 

Z-31, though - with that great accuracy, I get it.  It still needs a fair bit of AP know-how to get the best, but you do have the potential to smack some cruisers very hard in the right circumstances, as well as some take chunky salvos from all-or-nothing armour BBs. It's been fun, tbh, which I really didn't expect from the stats.

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
20 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Ah, is it good? 

I never quite got the AP focus of the original German DD line, they never quite had enough DPM or hit hard enough to make it work. (Better now they've been buffed). 

Z-31, though - with that great accuracy, I get it.  It still needs a fair bit of AP know-how to get the best, but you do have the potential to smack some cruisers very hard in the right circumstances, as well as some take chunky salvos from all-or-nothing armour BBs. It's been fun, tbh, which I really didn't expect from the stats.

She has fast cruiser caliber guns, shells have little drag and stay level at long ranges, she is great for picking off DDs at range, not so goot for brawls obviously but she aint half bad even if I was very sceptical about the entire line myself, just finished grinding out 240k xp on her and waiting for elbing to try her out...

[VIBES]
Players
1,201 posts
22,860 battles
4 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

As long as she's early access, you can use any German captain in her without retraining: I'm running my 18-pointer from the Z-46.

I mean, you'll need a captain for the branch eventually, but you can take your time farming some free cpt xp elsewhere.

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
2 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

I mean, you'll need a captain for the branch eventually, but you can take your time farming some free cpt xp elsewhere.

The 4 beast commanders seem an obvious pick... :Smile_hiding:

Players
108 posts

After finishing reading this thread had my best game in the Z-31 by miles. Previously had the odd torpedo strike and damage with HP on broadside cruisers. Seemed fairly insipid.

In the just finished game the Z-31 Gods must have been with me:-

Three Battleships sunk.

Three Citadels on Cruisers.

Eleven torpedo strikes.

Total damage 128,915 (117K Torps )Two Achievments.

Might say more about the opposition team than my skills but never the less NICE.

Cheers.

• Cool 1

Players
337 posts
4,107 battles

I dont use it for randoms due to only 6-7 point captain, but I really like it. Slow torpedoes can be improved by modules and captain skill and it farms citadels like no other tier 7 DD. Accuracy and HP are top tier. Best DD for Narai as well. I'm also aiming to reset the line for RB, so with more points captain this should be very interesting DD for randoms. Actually, it's more like small cruiser without citadel, which is a huge bonus and this is why they gave it low DPM. I love how WG are designing new lines (Italian BB, new KM DD, Dutch cruisers) as they make them really unique among other lines. That's a great direction for the game

• Bad 1

Players
3,228 posts
19,185 battles
6 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

That is one of the "problems" with her as well, do you go AFT first, since the ballistics and accuracy are good enough to reliably hit stuff at range or do you go concealment to be somewhat competitive, but then lose out on her gunnery advantage (since DPM is lousy)? I tried both and have not come to a definitive conclusion. I guess with a 14 pointer you could take both, but I would want AR at 13 and could not be bothered to play her so often as to warrant a high point captain anyway. So for now, my current captain will go on to Maerker next patch and a ten pointer is sitting at 6 points spent and waiting for the CE/AFT answer on Z-31 :Smile_veryhappy:

Watched the Flamu vid and specced my 17 point captain accordingly.

Somehow must've forgotten CE or maybe Flamu didnt use it, although I usually always pick it whatever the CCs say.

6 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Z-31 is not strong enough to really profit from AFT. For the later ships of the line it might be interesting, but even then I would go CE first.

Depends on your objective. If you just want to grind it fast and reliably, I'd say AFT is more versatile for XP generation. Only 11-12 km range (cant remember exactly) even with AFT. Any less, and targets will sail out of range before it can fire 3-4 volleys.

CE requires the DD to be survivable in a cap fight and while I havnt tried CE, even my Shiratsuyu easily outguns any Z31 it meets.

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
1 minute ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Depends on your objective. If you just want to grind it fast and reliably, I'd say AFT is more versatile for XP generation. Only 11-12 km range (cant remember exactly) even with AFT. Any less, and targets will sail out of range before it can fire 3-4 volleys.

CE requires the DD to be survivable in a cap fight and while I havnt tried CE, even my Shiratsuyu easily outguns any Z31 it meets.

Your objective should be to win.

And inviting a Shira to a gun fight allows the rest of the team to join in, and gives them a position for the enemy DD.

• Bad 1

Sign in to follow this