Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Invitatus

Which Ship Grind Makes you want to give up the Game?

45 comments in this topic

[WARB]
Players
42 posts

Having got to 142k on Kansas, it just leaves you wondering why am I playing this game its really not fun.

Now after playing F. Caracciolo in Ranked the very idea of coming back and playing this line.....

What other Ships have made you question your decision to put time into this game?

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
1,132 posts
5,921 battles

None of them, though a few have made me re-evaluate what I think I know about the game. The RN CLs, RU DDs and most BBs took me some time to understand how to get more from them and I consider myself still learning. I haven't tried the slow US BBs except for a couple of battles in California after I drew her from a box a few months ago, that's a "treat" I'm saving for future me to enjoy. :cap_haloween:

Players
143 posts
11,395 battles

I wasn't going to abandon the game, but Russian CL's were dreadfull. I was glad to have reached Nevsky en will never be looking back. 
Also I abandoned Japanese cruisers at Aoba. Terrible. Though I did get Yoshino and loving that one. So I might pick up the line at some point

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
33,139 posts
16,643 battles
47 minutes ago, Invitatus said:

Having got to 142k on Kansas, it just leaves you wondering why am I playing this game its really not fun.

Now after playing F. Caracciolo in Ranked the very idea of coming back and playing this line.....

What other Ships have made you question your decision to put time into this game?

None.

When I do not like a ship, I play something else.

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Players
9 posts
11,413 battles

Italian BBs. Whoever was in charge of balancing those should be reassigned, put in therapy, or better yet, both. Their so called 'upsides' are little gimicks that at best make you survive for a little bit longer (smoke) or exchange HE for the overall worse SAP. The offensive side in general ranges between 'non-existent' and 'mediocre because you got really [edited]lucky this game, both in terms of matchmaking and sigma/dispersion'. Mostly it reaches a level of '4 or 5 tiers lower this might be okay-ish'. Why?

Let's just summarize:

Reload is worse than everyhing except the Kansas->Vermont line, but their guns at least shoot far, hit hard and are precise. Which brings me to the next point.

Precision. I once thought the Monarch and Bismarck were kind of bad. No, in comparison they are downright accurate. When you fire a full broadside at an equally broadside, stationary BB at below 5km and all of your shells either splash down in front of the target, overshoot by miles or even miss to the left and right, then something is awry indeed. When that is the rule rather than the exception, you arrive where Italian BBs are at.

Next point: range - just about everything outranges you, including many cruisers. Doesn't really matter in the end though, because at extreme distances I sincerely doubt these ships could even hit an island 20 times the size of a Yamato.

Last point: Penetration and damage. Against anything of T7 and below you can dish out some decent damage, but everything above that... ha, ha, ha, no. Your AP is crappy and the SAP, when it miraculously hits a ship, will do a bit of damage IF and only if you actually double down on the miracle and hit less armored areas like bow, stern or superstructure. Good luck doing that reliably though.

Summed up, these wastes of credits and port slots perform best when smoke-charging and ramming enemy BBs, because that is literally the only reliable way of dealing damage in them. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,969 posts
16,841 battles
59 minutes ago, Invitatus said:

None yet - as others have said, when a ship is no fun I simply stop playing it...

• Cool 5

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
970 posts
6,751 battles

Cruisers...All of them!

Players
5,398 posts
24,445 battles

Off topic.

Mikasa before bots was introduced into low tier randoms. She was the only ship in which You could be just smashed even by people with a few games in WoWs. Now with bots she is really OP,  but before I hated her so much and wanted a few times to uninstall the game. I could not play it at all, but I have such a thing that when something does not work for me, I keep trying and trying ...

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

Italian T6-T7 BB have sawed off shotgun-like main guns. Even after they were buffed from 1.6 to 1.7 sigma.

It seems WG was so afraid SAP would overpower them that it felt ok that you miss most of your shots. Even ranges as low as 10 km. But all it does is frustrate the player. Even when you do get high damage scores it does not feel enjoyable. The secondaries are also nerfed as they cannot penetrate 19 mm ( the 90 mm ) or 32 mm ( the 152 mm ) and fail to penetrate 26 mm Cruiser/BB  armour with no IFHE. They have no smoke either.

So you have to think hard what makes them attractive at all......the only thing one can say it their AA is not extremely weak for the tier. But that does not make them succesfull BB.

• Cool 2

Players
221 posts
411 battles

No grind went as far as convincing me to delete WoWS. That said, Colorado grind was and still is a very frustrating experience. Too slow, overmatchable armor everywhere, very vulnerable to HE in exchange for 406mm guns and a relatively well protected citadel. Works fine against tier 5-6 which is irrelevant as it doesnt help much in tier 8 and 9 matches.

• Cool 1

Players
2,667 posts
10,382 battles

Lepanto, having 16.5km stock range and doing 5k AP damage on a full broadside Minnesota, with 1.6 sigma and over 30 sec reload. Marco Polo is a monster compared to this turd.

[-TPF-]
Players
5,149 posts
21,125 battles
3 hours ago, Invitatus said:

One of the things about playing mostly Co-op these days is that grinds which aren't fun are intolerable because they take *so long* (about 100-150 games to go from Tier VIII to IX). The other problem is premium ships, which give better returns than the Tech Tree line, so I can't be bothered to finish that.

So, thoroughly boring ship lines I gave up on (and when):

IJN BBs (Amagi) and USSR BBS (Sinop)

I have a Musashi. I have a Lenin. Why bother with the other ones?

USN Slow BBS (Kansas)

I have a Massachusetts, an Iowa and a Georgia. Those are fun. Kansas is not fun. 

USSR CLs (Chapayev) / French CAs (Charlie Martel)

I have coffee containers which are better armoured, and I am still suffering from post-Albemarle trauma when it comes to cruisers with massive citadels.

USSR CA's (Riga)

I'm not sure I understand this ship. I will come back to it.

RN BBs (Lion)

Monarch is terrible, everyone says! I quite liked it. I quite like small BBs as you can angle them easily. Lion is too big and clumsy and slow to be fun.

Euro DDs (Oland)

I know the Halland is good. But the other ones are just so... ineffective. 

Italian Cruisers (Amalfi)

It's got too much SAP in it. I don't like SAP. 

I'm not sure I will complete the Italian BB line as I have a Roma and a Marco Polo and that means slogging through VV might be a bit dull.

But there are ships I have enjoyed when I wasn't supposed to, like...

Z-31 / Admiral Hipper / Hseinyang ...

• Cool 3

[RDNT]
Players
309 posts

In the current meta, i.e. post cmd-skill rework; Cruisers. Why? Because fire prevention is no longer available......

Prior to that? BB's. All of em'. I find em' so bloody boring* and currently because of the aforementioned above they are pretty tough to play since the DD's "mostly" have other DD's to fear, less so cruisers.

*) With a few notable exceptions; for this signature mostly JB.

Players
3,302 posts
24,976 battles

Dude, if the CVs and the airstrikes and the captain skill rework don't get players to give up the game - why would a mere ship grind do it?!

That's about the 30st spot on the list of al the catastrophically bad game design and sheer greed BS that is going on in this game.

Especially since there are so many good lines and nobody is forcing you to go down the bad ones.

Players
1,240 posts
10,172 battles

I just skip them with fxp.

Skipped: Buffalo, Seattle, Amagi, Nagato, FdG, Hipper, Neptune, Brindisi. You see the emerging pattern, all the tier IX bs lemons. Buffalo almost made me quit the game, it's so bad.

US heavy BBs, Italian BBs, not touching them. Same with new german destroyers. I abandoned the USSR CA line, because Tallinn is just the worst ship in the game. Might fxp to Petropavlovsk at some point.

Still to fxp: Roon and Ibuki. At some point. Maybe. Don't care for Zao or Hindenburg, really.

Ironic how different we are. I loved Amalfi and Charles Martel is a beast.

• Cool 3

Players
999 posts

After the commander rework, Cruisers. No matter the line.

Pretty much every new line that has come the past year or so?

RN CAs

RM BBs

USN fat BBs

the new KM DDs. Ive been grinding the Z-31 in Narai, cause I dont  want to spoil ppls games in random.

The only redeeming quality in Z-31 is its health pool. With that health pool you can go guns blazing and try to trick stupid players to shoot you and maybe save some important ship on your team.

Z-31 is a floating target ship. Z-31 in your team is a turncoat that's actually working for the red team.

• Cool 1

[SPURD]
Players
1,102 posts
8,656 battles

Regrinding KMBB for Yolo Emilio. Having played some good battleships that have worthwhile guns, this line is just like drinking poison.

Players
3,276 posts
19,752 battles

Worst grinds last 12 months?

1. Royal Navy Heavy Cruisers (that reload and giant citadel = when bowtanking and praying to rngesus gets the best resuts)

1002. New USN BBs (looking at you, pre-buffed Kansas)

1003. Italian Cruisers below tier 9

Honorable mention: Italian BBs because of dispersion and underwhelmin SAP (which does less dmg than AP into superstruture at any angle)

3 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Lepanto, having 16.5km stock range and doing 5k AP damage on a full broadside Minnesota, with 1.6 sigma and over 30 sec reload. Marco Polo is a monster compared to this turd.

I think Veneto is worse tbh. It also faces Tier X MM and has only 9 guns with worse dispersion than Lepantos 12. 

Lapanto is at least a playable sawed off shot-gun.

With Veneto you get a sawed off rifle. 

[D_G]
Players
767 posts
4,222 battles

German mid-tier destroyers (and to lesser extent, cruisers) are extremely frustrating. Definitely make me want to give up the line, though not the game.

Players
2,667 posts
10,382 battles
6 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Worst grinds last 12 months?

1. Royal Navy Heavy Cruisers (that reload and giant citadel = when bowtanking and praying to rngesus gets the best resuts)

1002. New USN BBs (looking at you, pre-buffed Kansas)

1003. Italian Cruisers below tier 9

Honorable mention: Italian BBs because of dispersion and underwhelmin SAP (which does less dmg than AP into superstruture at any angle)

I think Veneto is worse tbh. It also faces Tier X MM and has only 9 guns with worse dispersion than Lepantos 12. 

Lapanto is at least a playable sawed off shot-gun.

With Veneto you get a sawed off rifle. 

Lepanto has worse dispersion and worse reload than Pommern, and no secondary suite or torps. You have the smoke which is not really a game changer. And Pommern is far from being OP, except in brawls.

Players
3,276 posts
19,752 battles
41 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Lepanto has worse dispersion and worse reload than Pommern, and no secondary suite or torps. You have the smoke which is not really a game changer. And Pommern is far from being OP, except in brawls.

Wasn't really calling lepanto good, but rather claiming its an improvement over its predecessor.

Fuel smoke is quite good for dodging rams and forcing driveby without counterplay, if you know how to time it right.

Players
2,667 posts
10,382 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Wasn't really calling lepanto good, but rather claiming its an improvement over its predecessor.

Fuel smoke is quite good for dodging rams and forcing driveby without counterplay, if you know how to time it right.

Yeah, I tried too ram a Kronstadt with fuel smoke, then she had a spare radar.

• Funny 2

[BOATY]
Alpha Tester
3,457 posts
13,549 battles

Having to grind through any line makes me want to quit, with the key word being 'grind'. Thankfully, with a premium account and the plethora of signals and camo's I can easily make in excess of 7 to 10k and higher xp per game, which makes the game less grindy. Although, some ships are terrible to play by design, so I can't imagine anyone liking them as much. Is there a database of least and most played ships overall somewhere to possibly help identify which ships are least attractive to play?

Sign in to follow this