Motchy_Ravolf

What's Your Best Choice In Cruisers?

18 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts

Hello Champions :cap_horn:

This Topic Is All About Cruisers In The Game. I Am A Beginner & Also A Cash Gamer. Therefore I Pick My Decisions Wisely So As My Moves.

This Forum Is For All Beginners Who Seek Learning In Details. And Hence Forward, I Would Like To Share & Know Your Opinions & Your Point Of View In Details On This Topic: 

Which Light/Heavy Cruisers Are The Best Armor, Damage & Maneuvering? & Which Countries Has The Strongest Light/Heavy Cruisers In Order?

Hit Me At My Citadel With Your Opinions & POV & What Are Your Advices? 

[NEXT]
Players
33,079 posts
16,587 battles

Depends on your playstyle.

Overall the best ship of all tech trees changes with each Tier.

In short, your question cannot be answered.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,252 posts
10,811 battles

Hindenburg is a good reliable and easy to use choice. The entire line is decent, but the test of time has been somewhat rough on them. High HE pen and AP damahe coupled with overall good DPM over the entire line, but at times meh concealment and poor armour. At tier 10 though you get a jack of all trades that you can build in almost any way you want and will work.

Other lines, IJN and US heavy cruisers. IJN sports arguably the best heavy cruisers up until tier 7, but they fall somewhat flat at tier 8-9 currently. Zao is still a ship that just works but it might require some more work. No gimmicks, good armour from tier 5-7 and reliable guns means they are a very good learner line however.

US heavy cruisers are another good learner line, and the best line to choose if you want to learn the basics of radar cruisers.

• Cool 1

[URUC]
Players
484 posts

Ballistics?

Germans and Russians.

Radar?

Russians and Americans (UK light cruisers at T8 can switch Smoke for Radar)

Torps?

Jpn and UK

Explain better what you're looking for

• Cool 1

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,888 battles

Damage, armor and manoeuvring. A ship usually need to sacrifice one of these aspects to get good at one of the other, unless the ship is balanced between the three, but then it won't be best in any of them. So a difficult question to answer, since it's going to include so many ships. You say you are new to the game, I recommend to grind two ships at the same time, instead of rushing to tier 10. It's a lot of fun to be found in tier 6-8 too, and more room for learning. As for beginner friendly cruisers:

I can recommend British light cruisers, with smoke and heal, it makes for a more forgiving playstyle. Can't take a beating, but good concealment and smoke helps against that.

All ships from tier 6 to 10 are enjoyable to play.

Also, it's a ship line that works perfectly well with only 10 point captain, while some of the other nations are more dependant on a good captain.

• Cool 1

[O-V]
Players
233 posts
10,749 battles

British light cruisers   They all play the same as you go up from T5 T6 T7 T8 ......T9 is a slight change but not massively (I don't have much experience in T9 ) 

The Russian  HE spammers are a nice style 

The USA  Heavy CA  again have there own style  

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts

Hello Champions :cap_horn:

Thanks For All, Indeed For All Your Answers & Help & Tips. I Would Like To Share Some Information As A Beginner & Interested In The Game & Also I Would Like To Hear More From You. Well Here We Go; 

I Owe:

• Japanese As Main Country For Destroyers (Only) = I Reached To Tier IV (Isokaze) + Hashidate / Umikaze / Watatake 
  • Japanese As Main Country For Aircraft Carriers (Only) = I Have Only; Tier IV (Hosho) 
  • Germany As Main Country For Battleships (Only) = I Reached To Tier IV (Kaiser) But I Like Tier III (Nassu) Better That It. + Hermelin / Dresden
  • America I Have Only In It = (Erie & Chester). 

NOTE: Germany Is Main Country & A Choice For First Line Battleship Too 

@ollonborre = Hindenburg Or Zao Both Are Heavy Beast Cruisers Rain Hell.. & As A Conclusion From Your Note & Hints That You Refer To Use Either Germany OR Japan As For A Line For Cruisers Choice. So Which One Exactly Should I Choose In between  Them As A First Line Choice For Cruisers Hence I Have Both As Mention Above?? 

@Nit0 = Seems You Like Details Like. Thanks A Million For Reading My Mind Which Is The Idea Of Having 2 Lines In Same Category Ships In Different Countries To Learn More Tactics, Techniques & Specs About The Game Ships Features & Also Opens A Wide-Enjoyable Details of The Game. Therefore, UK Cruisers Is Your Choice & Recommendation To Me .
So What About Battleships & Destroyers & Air carriers, Second Line Choice? *Read The Above Given Info*

@S_h_i_v_a = You Are Detailed Too But In Short & Seems You Like Short Talks. Well, Short Long Story Request: Peak For Me 2 Cruisers Choice: (1 With High Damage With Torps) & (1 With Speed & Radar) So Tell Me Which In Which You Will Peak up for Me? 

Other Issues I Am Facing & I Need Help:

1. I Have No Idea How To Use The Plans Of The AirCraft Carriers Ship Type? Anybody Help About That? 
  2. I Got Tier VI Dunkerque For A Limited Time For Some Missions As A Premium Ship Then It Disappeared? What Should I Do! 
  3. What Is The Battle Of The Beasts? I Participate But I Have No Idea How It Works I Tried But I Failed + I Didn't Get Any Rewards From It!!? 
  4. DOCKYARD! I Have No Idea What Is That Option Or Place - When I Click On It - Game Keeps Loading & Never Load !? What's Happening? 
  5. Premium Shop! I Got It 3 Times Till Now The Premium Account Access Since I Start The Game So As A Beginner Wha Should/Shouldn't I Do About That Matter? I Made Till Now (+12.800 Millions Silver - +23800 Golden Stars Exp & 850 Doubloons) What Should I Take Cautious About? 
  6. Armory! I Have No Idea What Is That & The Same Issue As For Dockyard !! 
  7. Combat Missions = How Can I Break The Myth About Those Tough Missions ! 

THANKS IN ADVANCE SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME TO READ THE ABOVE & YOUR CARE IF YOU REPLY & HELPED ME 

• Cool 1

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,888 battles

Battleships: German battleships is a very popular choice as first battleship line for many players. I think it's mainly two reasons for this. It's temptation of secondary guns, and historical ships like Gneisnau, Bismarck and Tirpitz. However, German battleships are not for the light-hearted, and requires quite a lot of knowledge about the game to make them work. The simple reason for this, is that they are designed as brawlers; up close and personal fighters. Brawling with battleships open up a ton of considerations you have to take on the fly, and one mistakes can cost you your ship. On other side of this spectrum, you have the long range battleships such as the Japanese. Because you are longer away from enemy, it also gives you more time to adjust to situations, so it's more beginner friendly. 

With that said, it doesn't mean that it's impossible to play German battleships as first grind, it's just that you will have a steeper learning curve. Personally I would recommend japenese battleships first.

Aircraft carriers I would recommend American cv's first. Japanese and German carriers use ap bombs, it requires knowledge when (at what altitude) to drop the bombs to get citadel hits. It's not an impossible feat, but using HE bombs are easier. Whatever carrier line you go for, don't judge any of them from tier 4. Tier 4 is slow, mindbogglingly boring and lacks features as a CV player. Tier 6 is the first CV (for any nation) that feels like a real CV.

Second line cruisers:  Basically you want to learn two concepts. Radar (and it's limits) and kiting (long range gun duels against other cruisers and battleships with a cruiser). Some ships are not good at kiting, for example US heavy cruiser, while others are (for example japenese, french and italian). 

Russian light cruisers: Good at kiting, and you have radar, it helps you understand limitation to radar when you play DD.

German cruisers: Good at kiting, best sonar in the game, very good both at long range and close range.

Whatever you choose, you can't really go wrong with any of the nations cruisers, they are all solid choices, but different concepts. Only ships I would avoid as a beginner is US light cruisers, because they are reliant on IFHE, so requires a good captain to make them work properly.

Armory is a ingame shop for alternative currency. That includes:

Steel (gained from clanbattles and ranked battles only)

Coal (gained from daily containers, combat missions, other activities etc)

Research points (gained from resetting a tech tree line and regrinding it, only useful for players who owns a lot of ships)

Dobloouns: (currency you can buy for real money). 

With these different currencies you can buy unique premium ships, unique captains, flags, camouflage and special modules.

I recommend you save your coal to buy one of the premium ships available in the armory for coal, or one of the unique captains. It's a long grind for any of them, we are talking about months of gaming.

• Cool 2

[URUC]
Players
484 posts
4 ore fa, BUN_BUN ha scritto:

@S_h_i_v_a = You Are Detailed Too But In Short & Seems You Like Short Talks. Well, Short Long Story Request: Peak For Me 2 Cruisers Choice: (1 With High Damage With Torps) & (1 With Speed & Radar) So Tell Me Which In Which You Will Peak up for Me? 

Speed/Radar: Russian light cruisers, i kept all T8 to T10. 

Torps: Jpn T8 Atago (premium) or  UK light cruisers (can use smoke and hydro).

Btw i use short talks because english is my third language.

Players
4 posts

Hello @Nit0 

*Thanks For Your Efforts To Explanations, Analysises & Further Detailed-Knowledge.. & It Took From Me Almost 2 Weeks To Reply to You*

This Is My Discord: Motchy#7835

Therefore, What I Understood From You Is As Following; 

• Battleships: I Am Using German Battleships Only Right Now So I May Use The Japanese But First Lets Clear Space, Those Are My German Ships: 
German Battleship I OWE
Tier Ship Name Xps Gained
I HERMELIN 14043 (Cruiser)
II DRESDEN 17529
III KOLBERG 1618 (Cruiser)
III NASSU 6938
IV KAULSRUHE 2653 (Cruiser)
IV KAISER 0 (Wheni bought Konia its xps went zero)
V KONIA 294
STAR HANNOVER 1268

What Should I Do With Those German Ships/Captains, How To Gain Advantage Of The Exps Gained For Ships Before Its Lost? 

• Destroyers & CV: I Am Using Japanese Destroyers Only Right Now + The CVs Also But I'm Not A Fan Using The CVs Actually, Those Are The My Japs Ships:
Japanese Destroyers & CVS I OWE
Tier Ship Name XPS Gained
I HASHIDATE 10504 (Cruiser)
II UMIKAZE 9498
II WAKATAKE 7290
IV ISOKAZE 6121
IV HOSHO 291 (Aircraft Carrier)
STAR SATSUMA 500

What Should I Do With Those Japanese Ships/Captains, How To Gain Advantage Of The Exps Gained For Ships Before Its Lost? 

• Cruisers: To Be Honest; I Cant Take A Decision Which 2 Countries Should I Select & Play With, The Only 2 Cruisers I Have Are Kolberg & Kaulsruhe But That's What i Understood: 
Light Cruisers Identification As For Beginners
  Most Recommended Nation Moderate Lowest
Radar Feature Russians  Japanese/French/Italy USA
Kitting Feature Russians & Germans Japanese/French/Italy USA

I Still Confused & Take A Decision In Cruisers So Can You Help Me Or  Anybody Can Help Me? 

• General Questions: 
  1. Can I Change Commanders From Ship To Ship & From Type To Type? Is That Suitable?
  2. How To Master Commanders For Each Type Of Each Ship & Is There Any Guide Link I Can Use to Do That?  
  3. How Can I Use Steel & Coal Wisely? 
  4. Is Upgrading The Ships Necessary Or Not? 
  5. When I Got Premium Account Access For Several Days or Hours, How Can I Get Useful From It? 
  6. Is There Any Permanent Camouflages or Signals Or Flags? 

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE

This Is My Discord: Motchy#7835

[T-N-T]
Players
616 posts
728 battles

Cruisers are too diverse to simple pick one. There are real gems in the tech trees. 

My personal preferences tier V+

US CA line: Pensacola (OK), New Orleans (meh), Baltimore (great), Buffalo (good), DeMoines (great)

US CL line: Omaha (OK), Dallas (OK), Helena (Good), Cleveland (great), Seattle (meh), Worcester (great)

Both lines rely on players knowledge of the map and good possitioning. US cruisers are not good in open water engagements and have to be played from cover or preferably in cooperation with DDs. They have great utility and are solid cap contesters. Heavy line has improved AP penetration which could be devastating. They have high skill cap. 

USSR CL line: Kotovsky (meh), Budyonny (great), Schors (ok+), Chapayev (ok+), Donskoi (good), Nevsky (great)

USSR CA line: Talin (good), Riga (great), Petropavlovsk (most op heavy cruiser in game)

Both lines are solid open water gunboats. From tier VIII they are equiped with long range radar. In combination with great shell arcs they are very dangerous to enemy dds. Heavy cruiser line relies more on the AP and they perform well. Soviet light cruisers are focused towards HE spamming and starting fires. Light cruiser line could be somewhat hard to play due to lack of armor and vulnerable citadels. On the other hand the heavy line are the most tanky cruisers in game. 

Germany: Koenigsberg (good), Nurnberg (good), Yorck (good), Hipper (OK), Roon (good), Hindenburg (great)

With improved HE penetration german cruisers became natural long range HE spammers. Their HE alpha dmg potential is kinda low, but they have highest alpha damage of the AP shells among all cruisers to compensate. Their AP is devastating, but only when a flat broadside is presented to you. Their penetration and normalization are sub par. While light cruisers at tier V and VI are well known for their squishiness, the heavy cruisers (VIII+) are very tanky for their tiers and Hindenburg at tier X is really a long range menace to battleships.  

IJN: Furutaka (great), Aoba (OK), Myoko (good), Mogami (good), Ibuki (meh), Zao (ok)

Oldest cruiser line in the game. They are stealthy, mid range HE spamming ships with high damage torpedoes. I think that Japanese low-mid tiers are new players friendly. Zao and Ibuki are victims of powercreep and are considered being OK at best. 

Italy: Montecuccoli (ok), Trento (ok), Zara (good), Amalfi (ok), Brindisi (good), Venezia (great+)

There is really only one reason to grind the italian cruiser line and it is the tier X. Other ships are ok, but not so versatile as other cruisers due to lack of HE ammunition. SAP is great against destroyers and countering other cruisers, but many players have problems fighting heaviers targets. They are generally open water gunboats focused on engaging lighter ships. And they have crawling smoke. 

France:  Bertin (meh), Galissonniere (ok), Algerie (good), Martel (good), St. Louis (good), Henri (great)

French cruisers is another HE spamming, kiting line. They do not have improved penetration of the HE, so they have to rely on fires. In comparison with german cruisers they are much faster, but also much less armored with vulnerable citadels. Henri is one of the best damage farming cruisers in game. 

UK CA line: Hawkins (meh), Devonshire (ok), Surrey (ok), Albemarle (ok), Drake (good), Goliath (great)

British heavy cruisers are big, squishy, low dpm HE spamming machines. They have brutal firechance and solid HE alpha damage so they apply DoTs easily. They are all equiped with heal consumable to last longer in the fight. Higher tiers have super heal.  

UK CL line: Emerald (ok), Leander (great), Fiji (overpowered), Edinburgh (good), Neptune (ok), Minotaur (great)

Armor piercing ammo and torps is all what you have and all what you need. They are equiped with smoke generator and variety of other consumables which makes them ultimate cap contestors. There is definitely a high skill cap in playing these ships, but they are great fun to play. Do not start with them as a new player. 

Strongest cruisers at their tiers:

V - Furutaka (great for newer players), Koenigsberg (high skill only)

VI - Budyonny (very versatile)

VII - Fiji (broken as hell if you have skill)

VIII - Baltimore (great AP, great armor, radar)

IX - Riga (it is Soviet)

X - Petropavlovsk (currently most broken ship in game)

• Cool 3

[VIBES]
Players
1,615 posts
24,489 battles
20 hours ago, BUN_BUN said:
  • General Questions: 
  1. Can I Change Commanders From Ship To Ship & From Type To Type? Is That Suitable?
  2. How To Master Commanders For Each Type Of Each Ship & Is There Any Guide Link I Can Use to Do That?  
  3. How Can I Use Steel & Coal Wisely? 
  4. Is Upgrading The Ships Necessary Or Not? 
  5. When I Got Premium Account Access For Several Days or Hours, How Can I Get Useful From It? 
  6. Is There Any Permanent Camouflages or Signals Or Flags? 

1. You can move your commander to whatever you want, but unless the destination ship is a premium (T10 premiums are called "special ships" for technical reasons), you're going to have to spend some doubloons or free cpt xp to retrain. Every captain now has the ability to be trained for all 4 ship types at once (cruiser, battleships, carrier and destroyer).

To give you an idea, my Yamamoto (special captain) is trained for the Kitakaze (DD) as far as tech tree ships go, but he can also be moved on any premium BB (like my Shikishima), any premium cruiser (Azuma, Yahagi, etc.) and any premium CV (Kaga) without retraining. But if I wanted to use him on the Myoko, a tech tree CA, then yes, I'd have spend free cpt xp.

2. There are plenty of guides for standard builds

3. Only buy ships and possibly special upgrades for coal. Use your 6-months coupon for your most expensive purchases (steel ships or 200k+coal ships).

4. Absolutely

5. Play more: your xp and credit gains are higher. Consider putting on all your special flags (hydra, scylla, etc.) and best camos if you have premium time: they're wasted with a standard account.

6. There are permament camos for doubloons (which you buy for real money, though some can be obtained playing Ranked or from Supercontainers) on tech tree ships, starting at T6. They get progressively more expensive, and imho they're only worth it at T6 or T10. Premium/special ships come with their permacamo, though you can always overrun it and play with a different one (I wouldn't, but that's me).

No such thing as "permament signals", and flags are purely cosmetic. Most players will refer to "signals" as "flags", for this reason.

Combat and economic signals can be bought for credits in the Armory, and some come from daily or weekly missions. They used to be given for achievements, but no more since a few weeks.

Theoretically, you can also renew signals by spending doubloons, but I wouldn't, and most people wouldn't.

• Cool 1

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,888 battles

Continue with german battleships, cruiser and japenese destroyers. Get at least one of them up to tier 8 before you consider trying out something else. Don't rush to tier 10 (playing only one ship all the time to get there), you will learn a lot more by playing all 3 ship types I just mentioned, it's also less frustrating. Keep the other ships you have grinded, you can always go back to them at a later stage of your wows career (for example Hosho). Move your captain up to the next ship in the tech tree when you research a new ship, even though it requires retraining. 

• Cool 1

[MOKUM]
[MOKUM]
Players
2 posts
2,841 battles

I have played a fair amount of cruisers in the 2.5 years that I'm playing this game now. Cruisers have always been hard for me, loosing 60% of the battles and surviving maybe 10%. Untill this week when I gave the Helena another try, even though I hated her like hell, but hey why not try and use her for the missions and  grind xp as fast as possible for a tier VIII with radar... 

So more on the Helena... Well she's a tier VII USN CL (light cruiser) with nothing more than paper armor. On the other hand she has a decent manouverability (in my opinion), good gun traverse of those 5 triple turrets with a stock range of 13.2km. But that short range is all made up with her better than good dispersion (max 130'ish meters) which allows you to land 10 or more shells per salvo if aimed well. I started playing her with a 10 point captain where I chose Concealment as grade 4 skill, so definetly no inertia fuse HE skill. 

I decided to hold back at the start of the match and try to survive the first 5 to 10 minutes of battle. I only picked targets I could shoot at without giving away my position, so basically targets of oportunity. First battle I lost, one AP shell of a Bayern got me through the bow and detonated my ship. Perfect example of the paper armor I opened the description...

But then my tactics got succesful, I started gathering one win after the other... And now 20 games later, I have gathered 15 wins, changing a 0% win ratio to 47%. I have had so much fun in her, kitting from battleships, or even CA's (heavy cruisers) and BC's (battlecruisers), ducking behind an islands while raining fire on my targets, hell I even started flushing out dd's in a cap zone if I was free from other incoming fire. My number of kills with the Helena went up from 0 kills before to 10 now, so about 1 kill every 2 games, and survival of battles is 9 atm (all of which in the last 10 games).

Basically, what I want to say is: if you want fun but don't die: don't play the Helena. Hell don't even play a cruiser. All cruisers suffer at some place that either takes out the fun or make them squishy as hell. If you want fun while harassing battleships, heavy cruisers or ambush destroyers and one shot them: definetly choose the Helena... I'm telling you I haven't had this much fun since I started playing the Bismarck 2 years ago. Yes she has a slow start at the beginning of the battle, but boy does she make up for that later on... 

And now I must say, I'm going to keep this one after I grinded my way to that tier VIII radar boat I mentioned in the beginning...

• Cool 1

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,888 battles

The good news for you Stelloin is that you can play Cleveland very much the same way as Helena. You even have a bit better concealment, so it's safer to reach islands without getting spotted. I agree that Helena is a fun and rewarding ship to play, but as with all US light cruisers, doing mistakes cost you a lot.

• Cool 1

Players
47 posts
7,264 battles
Am 20.9.2021 um 19:13, WorthyOpponent sagte:

Nevsky and Petro.

So just grind Soviet cruisers, I'd say.

Updated for you. :cap_haloween: