Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
XDMeloniXD

Help me, I can't seem to get the ZF-6 to work for me

4 comments in this topic

[1701]
Players
123 posts
11,344 battles

I have now tried to play the ZF-6 for a few days, with only mildly decent success. I am trying to play the normal destroyer role (perhaps that is what I am doing wrong) yet I don't feel like I am effective in any way, I try to use my consumables thoughtfully, try to check my teams and the enemies. I think I am doing everything alright? Yes I am not the best destroyer player, but I like them and usually have quite decent success in them. Not in the ZF-6 though. All I seem to manage to do is to eat other enemy destroyers' torps! How embarassing! How do I play this thing, and get the maximum potential use and effectiveness from it? Perhaps I should have just used my dubs to get the Ise....

• Cool 2

Players
2,976 posts
21,439 battles

I only just got her myself so take my advice as very preliminary. If you have Lutyens as a captain he is extremely helpful with his talents.

First off I found RPF and Survivability Expert extremely useful skills because I want to know where the enemy DD will be coming from (plus his torps). I quite like using the ZF6 as a DD hunter but I do find she does take a lot of damage if the enemy team are supporting their DDs, so try to use islands to limit how much help your opponents team can give him. 

The ZF6 is a great spotter but extreme caution is advisable I can’t play her as aggressively as British or US DDs but you can one on one take on most DDs the key thing is which team is supporting their DD. The short torp range makes radar cruisers an unappealing prospect but once the radar runs out never hurts to try a torp run. 

Sorry I cannot offer better advice but in short be careful she’s very unforgiving of mistakes but has the potential to be a lovely DD hunter.

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

This is supposed what the new German DD should be doing. Dynamically switch ammo between AP and HE depending on the angle of ( DD and light Cruiser ) enemies presenting you.......pretty steep learning curve stuff.

If the ship is not performing you use HE too much. Pretty difficult to master as in other, more classic DD HE is the normal ammo type unless you see light Cruiser broadsides at close range. Now you need to unlearn that, learn shoot AP at DD - that have no citadel - and judge the angles enemies present you vs the angle where you do not overpenetrate, do not bounce but get full penetrations so the shells explode in the hull on the enemy ship. "New" is that even without hitting a citadel - which DD dont have - German improved AP is wrecking on enemy DD. But it seems less novel then it appears as some Kitakaze players with 100 mm AP shells learned to do that well before these German DD's.

Where in "classic" DD vs DD duels facing an enemy DD with an as small surface as possible was often a benefit as you would be more difficult to hit and receive less hits,  that has now become much more dangerous : if AP shells are fired just outside the bounce angles ( the purple zone ) the DD plating offers enough thickeness to activate the AP fuse. Shells seem to travel ~ 10 meters before they explode which could cause overpenetrations on ( full broadside ) DD that have less ship width then 10 meters where a shell could fly through, leave the ship and the explode outside the ship : overpenetration.  But firing at an angle ( green zones ) the shell also passes a longer way through the DD and thus explodes inside it : full penetration.

Facing enemies with sharp bow on angles was already dangerous for DD : German CV AP rockets work in very similar ways. So in DD face these AP rockets either  very close to 0 degree - head on - angle or full broadside.

image.png.fd751beef77fb656391384ec40dec2ab.png

penetr.jpg

Read the whole thing.....LWM is a very good reviewer

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/237716-premium-ship-review-zf-6/

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
4,659 posts
17,553 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

This is supposed what the new German DD should be doing.

image.png.fd751beef77fb656391384ec40dec2ab.png

Read the whole thing.....LWM is a very good reviewer

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/237716-premium-ship-review-zf-6/

Nearly 450,000dpm with Ap and reload booster means it melts pretty much any DD it comes across.

It doesn't overpen quite as badly as the graphic above shows. I suppose these figures were at zero degrees so any extra distance will reduce the overpen chance.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this