Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dukemaster105

Please Remove Battleship HE (Long Post)

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
10 posts
14,017 battles

After many years of suffering through it and hoping it would get better, it has thus not done so. I had hoped it would just be a passing fad that everyone was heavily into but then got bored with and moved on to something else. However, it persists in the game and continues to ruin gameplay without having any counters to it. Wargaming, please remove HE as an ammunition choice from all battleships of all tiers in the whole game, Tech Tree, Premium, and Armory. With that declaration and firm request made, now to explain why.

When they first announced British battleships, I was very enthusiastic about them. Especially with stuff like the Orion at Tier 4, which I was all hot for right away. But when I started seeing videos about these ships being played by a variety of Community Contributors, all of them used nothing but HE. I was confused at first, since no idiot would ever use HE against anything but destroyers. Really, what kind of person would use HE against battleships? It's not like that's the ammunition type battleships are supposed to fire at other battleships, or cruisers for that matter. Then I found out exactly what the draw was, and what kind of things were possible if you did it. When I began seeing that gameplay in videos and in battles, I was horrified and disgusted. It took the very thing battleships were supposed to be about and turned it upside down, from big burst damage from well-aimed AP against vulnerable targets to impossible to avoid damage over time against everything. It made the concept of armor and survivability irrelevant and impossible to achieve. Everything we had learned about playing in and against battleships became useless knowledge at that point, and rendered any counter-play meaningless.

British Battleship HE has quarter penetration, high alpha damage, and a very high fire chance for its caliber. Any one of those things would've been bad, but all three together is a catastrophe. What makes it worse is HE never ricochets, no matter the angle of impact. Whether it's 1º or 89º, it never ricochets. Almost parallel or almost vertical, it always detonates on impact. Worse is that HE doesn't have to penetrate the armor of the target to cause a fire. It keeps its fire chance even upon a non-damaging impact, or shatter. Therefore, all HE has to do is hit the target to be effective. Even if the hit is on a part of the ship that it will never penetrate, it keeps its fire chance. Furthermore, since it doesn't need to impact at a friendly angle to penetrate, it has the same impact performance of an AP firing cannon large enough to launch small spacecraft into a suborbital trajectory. If the Thunderer's 114mm of HE penetration is to be believed, and my numbers are correct, the 14.3 x armor thickness in mm = caliber of gun in mm required to overmatch. Which means the Thunderer can hit 114mm thick armor at a really silly angle and still penetrate it, but for AP to overmatch it you'd need a gun of about 1650mm (64.4") in caliber.

All of this wouldn't be so bad if HE and Fire damage both had saturation, reducing the amount of damage taken by at least 50%, maybe more. But we don't. Which means it doesn't matter how much HE hits your ship or how many fires have been burning for how long, you always take the same full-damage from HE and fires as though it's your first hit of the battle. The answer I expect to hear is "Just tank it. Rotate your damage control and Repair Party and just tank it." Which would be possible, if there weren't other ships shooting at me, with HE and AP, if there weren't torpedoes coming in, and if I could get out of firing range of the enemy before I die. Someone shoots AP at you, your response is to angle up and protect your sides. Well done, you did it. You've used your gameplay experience and knowledge to keep yourself alive for longer. You've learned and become better at the game. The same cannot be said for HE. It never ricochets, it never loses its fire chance, it doesn't need a good angle of impact to detonate, and it doesn't lose penetration with range. There's nothing you can do to protect yourself. Coupled with a lot of the more hated HE-spammers having long firing ranges, excellent accuracy, high rates of fire, excellent shell ballistics, and good concealment. It is entirely possible for cruisers to out-snipe battleships and accurately hit them beyond the range at which battleships can respond effectively. At those ranges, battleships are hard-pressed to make meaningful hits on even stationary cruisers. But cruisers can easily and repeatedly hit battleships without much fear of being countered. Combined with AP sometimes vanishing into a black hole and doing no damage even when it's a massive shell hitting relatively thin armor, and the HE from the cruiser just needing to hit to be effective. Or the battleship AP in question hitting paper-thin armor and bouncing off because of the terribly outdated game mechanic of overmatch.

"But don't you play high-tier cruisers and HE spam everything? Aren't you part of the problem too?" Yes I am. I love my Des Moines and the newest addition to my port, the Alexander Nevsky. People talk about the Petropavlovsk as being the end-all-be-all, but every time I play the Alexander Nevsky and put its guns to work, the thought that keeps going through my head is, "Why does this ship exist? This can't be legal. This ship shouldn't be this good at what it does. Someone please nerf me." Yes, I love that ship with a passion, and I want it nerfed because it's just too good. Like all Tier 10 cruisers are just too good. I play in them and it takes no time at all for me to feel dirty and wrong playing them. It's just too much power in the hands of one player.

When Royal Navy Light Cruisers were introduced, I took some time getting used to them just like everyone else did. A thinly-armored line of ships without HE and with smoke. But what made those ships what they were and still are is the lack of HE. When I made my way up the line I had to learn a lot about armor mechanics, auto-bounce, normalization, ricochet checks, and over-penetration. Ballistics, the fall of shells, range, the armor of the ends of the ship, the deck, and the ship's topside arrangements. Playing those ships made me a better player. I got better at the game because of their AP-only ammunition. I was forced to make do with what I had and learn how to use it to its fullest. I wouldn't have learned anywhere near as much if they had been just another line of HE spammers. Start battle, load HE, forget AP even exists, and profit. Royal Navy Battleships are the inverse of this. Their HE is far too strong, and starting at Tier 7 their AP is next to useless. Forcing the player to lean on HE as a crutch and use it to the exclusion of AP. You don't have to know anything about the game, armor values, shell performance and penetration, ballistic arcs and diminishing penetration with range, over-penetrations, ricochets, auto-bounce, normalization, or anything of the sort. Place the cross-hair on the center mass of the ship and fire your guns. All you need to do is hit the target and you'll do well. No brain-power required. No learning or player development encouraged or rewarded. No motivation to improve or develop any skills on the player's part. No punishment or consequences for getting it wrong. Play British Battleships, load HE, and get Whitherer in every third battle.

Battleship HE does not encourage the player to learn about the game or get better at it. Their own understanding of it is limited to the big damage numbers they get, and their xp and credit earnings. There are no valid or consistently effective counters to it. The game mechanics support and encourage HE spam, and provide no counterplay for the player to do anything about it. Battleship HE is bad for the game. It makes players lazy and inattentive. It makes them chase the one and only goal of big damage numbers instead of playing the game in the spirit for which it was intended to be played.

Battleship HE is bad for the game. There is no place for it here. If HE spam must exist as a game mechanic, let it exist on cruisers and destroyers only. Get it off battleships. Then, battleships would be truly feared since you wouldn't see cruisers showing their full sides to Conquerors and Thunderers all the time since they know AP won't be incoming.

Please Wargaming, get HE off of the battleships. People learn the best when they're forced to. Allowing any battleship to keep HE as an ammunition choice for its main guns hurts the game in the short and long term. Then, you would see exactly how best to balance or rebalance some battleships when their players see how good or bad their AP really is. All of the British battleships at and above Tier 7 are just awful with AP with the exception of the Thunderer, which is amazing with AP. The KGV is frustrating with AP, the Monarch is deeply mediocre, the Lion is a joke, and the Conqueror is truly pitiful. It's the only line of ships in the game where they get progressively worse after Tier 6. Their HE is the thing they're balanced around, and balancing a whole line of ships around an ammunition type has always been a bad idea.

There, my sincere and heartfelt request for battleship HE to be removed. Thank you for reading this, if you have indeed done so.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[NEXT]
Players
33,112 posts
16,640 battles

So you have a problem with UK BB HE, but want to remove HE for all BB.... riiight....

What are BB supposed to do vs angling BB or cruisers they cannot overmatch?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
10 posts
14,017 battles

Shoot AP at them anyway and be content with dealing less damage. We can't force people to willingly play the game properly, but we can make it impossible for them to play it improperly.

Remember that you the battleship won't be firing HE at anyone, nor will any battleships be firing HE at you. It goes both ways. Fair is fair.

[NEXT]
Players
33,112 posts
16,640 battles
19 minutes ago, Dukemaster105 said:

Shoot AP at them anyway and be content with dealing less damage. We can't force people to willingly play the game properly, but we can make it impossible for them to play it improperly.

Remember that you the battleship won't be firing HE at anyone, nor will any battleships be firing HE at you. It goes both ways. Fair is fair.

That will make BB even harder to sink than now and bow on camping becomes even stronger.

I have absolutly no problem with BB shooting HE at my BB, especially non UK BB HE is not really dangerous.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

WG can't do that as they balanced some ships with stronger AP and some with stronger HE. It is the "flavour" of the nation or the individual ship.

If you give every BB in game AP only it would be unfair to them that BB with stronger AP exist. Then WG would have to practically rework the whole game. There is no end to that. They also have a huge problem how to make many BB different and interesting compared to other BB.....all BB almost exaclty the same is no game play option.

Fire damage is balanced with captain skills, modules and you not being visible all the time so you get focussed by multiple enemies. If you are on fire all the time you either need to learn to use cover ( islands, weather effect ) not be the only one facing multipe enemies ( positioning ) and not "mill your guns*" when you can expect to be focussed because of that.

*Seems that is a rediculous remark with slow 30 second CD reloads, but you are visible in your guns range for 20 seconds after firing ......

You may know none of my BB have anti-fire skills. I dont even skill into Concealment with BB,  I could burn with 4 fires for full duration. Yet that very rarely happens.....why ? I try to avoid being mass focussed. And certainly not by camping.

[VIBES]
Players
1,677 posts
24,697 battles
58 minutes ago, Dukemaster105 said:

Shoot AP at them anyway and be content with dealing less damage.

I'll look forward to meeting your non-HE Richelieu in my very-yes-HE Baltimore :)

• Cool 1

[P7S]
Players
343 posts

A strange rant. Are you sure you did not mean cruiser HE (cause we often discuss this option here on forums)?

Ofc, it is always gentleman's exchange of opinions.

[VIBES]
Players
1,677 posts
24,697 battles
1 hour ago, Dukemaster105 said:

Battleship HE does not encourage the player to learn about the game or get better at it. Their own understanding of it is limited to the big damage numbers they get, and their xp and credit earnings. There are no valid or consistently effective counters to it. The game mechanics support and encourage HE spam, and provide no counterplay for the player to do anything about it. Battleship HE is bad for the game. It makes players lazy and inattentive. It makes them chase the one and only goal of big damage numbers instead of playing the game in the spirit for which it was intended to be played.

First of all, there are more ways to counter HE spam than anything else in the game:

- Dmg Con Mod 2

- Fire Prevention

- extra heal skill

- (former) Dreadnought flag

- (former) Fireproof flag

- Basics of Survivability

Second of all, I find this haughty attitude very unappealing:

- "it does not encourage the player to learn about the game or get better at it"

- "it makes players lazy and inattentive"

- "...instead of playing the game in the spirit for which it was intended"

- "their own understanding is limited"

Switching ammo to maximize results requires more skill than throwing AP at everything and anything, for sure. Firing nothing but HE gives worse results than alternating in a dynamic way depending on the target environment. It's what you propose that would make players, if not "lazy and inattentive", then surely frustrated, as in many situations there would simply be no decent option to deal damage, instead of different compromises between alpha and consistency that suit different situations better or worse.

And bad players are bad for all sorts of reasons: very young, very old, very distracted, special needs, too stressed, not enough sleep, not competitive at all, haven't researched the game mechanics and just want to shoot stuff, poor strategic sense, don't read or understand chat...whatever. It's fine.

Shooting nothing but HE is surely not the best tactic, not even in the Conqueror and such. But it's not the worst tactic, either, compared to a zillion other "mistakes" that players, even players better than you and players better than me, make in this game.

1 hour ago, Dukemaster105 said:

no idiot would ever use HE against anything but destroyers. Really, what kind of person would use HE against battleships?

What's a Dunkerque supposed to shoot at a bow-in Sinop, in this grand scheme of yours?

Or an Alsace at an angled Yamato, which overmatches her anywhere, btw?

How is a Fuso supposed to deal with a North Carolina?

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
2,314 posts
16,443 battles

2 things that are not correct that I saw on first skim:

- Yes, fires are not affected by saturation but HE is. You will not take the same damage from HE while unscathed as you would after getting HE'd till your ship turns black. You can test this yourself. Take a Kremlin and a Smolensk, after some his on his superstructure it will become fully saturated and you will not be getting the same alpha numbers you did in the opening salvoes, unless he uses repair party. 

- British BB AP being bad barring Thunderer is a misconception, they perform perfectly fine against all targets. Actually, the shorter fuse time compared to other BBs is a boon in and of itself and reduces the likelihood of overpenetrations under certain circumstances. 

Look, I get that it can be annoying to get HE'd, set on fire when trying to go dark etc, etc but in all honesty it's not so bad imo.

Don't remove it, keep it. And let the ones which make smart ammo choices for the situation prosper. 

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

The thing that annoys me is that it is unrealistic.

The heavy armoured hull sections ( citadel or armoured raft ) of a BB can not burn down ( heavy hatches, bulkheads and very thick metal decks prevent that ) and not sink by fires of the superstructure. They are also not floating gascans like CV are. For fires to sink the citadel or armoured raft the fires need to be internal and HE shells cannot cause that...the superstructure is external. Bow and stern section are too.

The bow, stern and superstrucure can be completely destroyed - fall off  even - and the citadel or armoured raft will not sink. Although they will lay very deep in the water without bow and stern buoyancy. Exactly why crippled BB are usually finished off with torpedo's

But for game balance i do understand it completely.

Players
304 posts
7,026 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

So you have a problem with UK BB HE, but want to remove HE for all BB.... riiight....

What are BB supposed to do vs angling BB or cruisers they cannot overmatch?

Shake your fist at them and with your best Alan Rickman voice say “I’ll get you John McClane” 

• Funny 1

[NEXT]
Players
33,112 posts
16,640 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

The thing that annoys me is that it is unrealistic.

Why do I rarely read that complaint about Repair and Damage Control?

And yes, fires can go through metal. It is called heat. When an armored bulkhead/deck reaches the combustion temperature of stuff on the other side, that stuff can burst into flames. And since metal is such a great heat conductor, sometimes fires even jump a section when there is no burny stuff in the next one.

One of the reasons fighting fires on ships is so much fun.

[RODS]
Players
2,170 posts
8,365 battles
4 hours ago, Dukemaster105 said:

So then the angled cruiser would do a couple of k per salvo and maybe 4-5 or 6 salvos per minute against the BB (+ fires) while the BB with its dispersion would perhaps get a damaging hit every other salvo with 30 (ish) second intervals ?

That is just plain stupid

• Cool 1

Players
2,436 posts
13 hours ago, Dukemaster105 said:

After many years of suffering through it and hoping it would get better, it has thus not done so. I had hoped it would just be a passing fad that everyone was heavily into but then got bored with and moved on to something else. However, it persists in the game and continues to ruin gameplay without having any counters to it. Wargaming, please remove HE as an ammunition choice from all battleships of all tiers in the whole game, Tech Tree, Premium, and Armory. With that declaration and firm request made, now to explain why.

When they first announced British battleships, I was very enthusiastic about them. Especially with stuff like the Orion at Tier 4, which I was all hot for right away. But when I started seeing videos about these ships being played by a variety of Community Contributors, all of them used nothing but HE. I was confused at first, since no idiot would ever use HE against anything but destroyers. Really, what kind of person would use HE against battleships? It's not like that's the ammunition type battleships are supposed to fire at other battleships, or cruisers for that matter. Then I found out exactly what the draw was, and what kind of things were possible if you did it. When I began seeing that gameplay in videos and in battles, I was horrified and disgusted. It took the very thing battleships were supposed to be about and turned it upside down, from big burst damage from well-aimed AP against vulnerable targets to impossible to avoid damage over time against everything. It made the concept of armor and survivability irrelevant and impossible to achieve. Everything we had learned about playing in and against battleships became useless knowledge at that point, and rendered any counter-play meaningless.

British Battleship HE has quarter penetration, high alpha damage, and a very high fire chance for its caliber. Any one of those things would've been bad, but all three together is a catastrophe. What makes it worse is HE never ricochets, no matter the angle of impact. Whether it's 1º or 89º, it never ricochets. Almost parallel or almost vertical, it always detonates on impact. Worse is that HE doesn't have to penetrate the armor of the target to cause a fire. It keeps its fire chance even upon a non-damaging impact, or shatter. Therefore, all HE has to do is hit the target to be effective. Even if the hit is on a part of the ship that it will never penetrate, it keeps its fire chance. Furthermore, since it doesn't need to impact at a friendly angle to penetrate, it has the same impact performance of an AP firing cannon large enough to launch small spacecraft into a suborbital trajectory. If the Thunderer's 114mm of HE penetration is to be believed, and my numbers are correct, the 14.3 x armor thickness in mm = caliber of gun in mm required to overmatch. Which means the Thunderer can hit 114mm thick armor at a really silly angle and still penetrate it, but for AP to overmatch it you'd need a gun of about 1650mm (64.4") in caliber.

All of this wouldn't be so bad if HE and Fire damage both had saturation, reducing the amount of damage taken by at least 50%, maybe more. But we don't. Which means it doesn't matter how much HE hits your ship or how many fires have been burning for how long, you always take the same full-damage from HE and fires as though it's your first hit of the battle. The answer I expect to hear is "Just tank it. Rotate your damage control and Repair Party and just tank it." Which would be possible, if there weren't other ships shooting at me, with HE and AP, if there weren't torpedoes coming in, and if I could get out of firing range of the enemy before I die. Someone shoots AP at you, your response is to angle up and protect your sides. Well done, you did it. You've used your gameplay experience and knowledge to keep yourself alive for longer. You've learned and become better at the game. The same cannot be said for HE. It never ricochets, it never loses its fire chance, it doesn't need a good angle of impact to detonate, and it doesn't lose penetration with range. There's nothing you can do to protect yourself. Coupled with a lot of the more hated HE-spammers having long firing ranges, excellent accuracy, high rates of fire, excellent shell ballistics, and good concealment. It is entirely possible for cruisers to out-snipe battleships and accurately hit them beyond the range at which battleships can respond effectively. At those ranges, battleships are hard-pressed to make meaningful hits on even stationary cruisers. But cruisers can easily and repeatedly hit battleships without much fear of being countered. Combined with AP sometimes vanishing into a black hole and doing no damage even when it's a massive shell hitting relatively thin armor, and the HE from the cruiser just needing to hit to be effective. Or the battleship AP in question hitting paper-thin armor and bouncing off because of the terribly outdated game mechanic of overmatch.

"But don't you play high-tier cruisers and HE spam everything? Aren't you part of the problem too?" Yes I am. I love my Des Moines and the newest addition to my port, the Alexander Nevsky. People talk about the Petropavlovsk as being the end-all-be-all, but every time I play the Alexander Nevsky and put its guns to work, the thought that keeps going through my head is, "Why does this ship exist? This can't be legal. This ship shouldn't be this good at what it does. Someone please nerf me." Yes, I love that ship with a passion, and I want it nerfed because it's just too good. Like all Tier 10 cruisers are just too good. I play in them and it takes no time at all for me to feel dirty and wrong playing them. It's just too much power in the hands of one player.

When Royal Navy Light Cruisers were introduced, I took some time getting used to them just like everyone else did. A thinly-armored line of ships without HE and with smoke. But what made those ships what they were and still are is the lack of HE. When I made my way up the line I had to learn a lot about armor mechanics, auto-bounce, normalization, ricochet checks, and over-penetration. Ballistics, the fall of shells, range, the armor of the ends of the ship, the deck, and the ship's topside arrangements. Playing those ships made me a better player. I got better at the game because of their AP-only ammunition. I was forced to make do with what I had and learn how to use it to its fullest. I wouldn't have learned anywhere near as much if they had been just another line of HE spammers. Start battle, load HE, forget AP even exists, and profit. Royal Navy Battleships are the inverse of this. Their HE is far too strong, and starting at Tier 7 their AP is next to useless. Forcing the player to lean on HE as a crutch and use it to the exclusion of AP. You don't have to know anything about the game, armor values, shell performance and penetration, ballistic arcs and diminishing penetration with range, over-penetrations, ricochets, auto-bounce, normalization, or anything of the sort. Place the cross-hair on the center mass of the ship and fire your guns. All you need to do is hit the target and you'll do well. No brain-power required. No learning or player development encouraged or rewarded. No motivation to improve or develop any skills on the player's part. No punishment or consequences for getting it wrong. Play British Battleships, load HE, and get Whitherer in every third battle.

Battleship HE is bad for the game. There is no place for it here. If HE spam must exist as a game mechanic, let it exist on cruisers and destroyers only. Get it off battleships. Then, battleships would be truly feared since you wouldn't see cruisers showing their full sides to Conquerors and Thunderers all the time since they know AP won't be incoming.

Please Wargaming, get HE off of the battleships. People learn the best when they're forced to. Allowing any battleship to keep HE as an ammunition choice for its main guns hurts the game in the short and long term. Then, you would see exactly how best to balance or rebalance some battleships when their players see how good or bad their AP really is. All of the British battleships at and above Tier 7 are just awful with AP with the exception of the Thunderer, which is amazing with AP. The KGV is frustrating with AP, the Monarch is deeply mediocre, the Lion is a joke, and the Conqueror is truly pitiful. It's the only line of ships in the game where they get progressively worse after Tier 6. Their HE is the thing they're balanced around, and balancing a whole line of ships around an ammunition type has always been a bad idea.

There, my sincere and heartfelt request for battleship HE to be removed. Thank you for reading this, if you have indeed done so.

SO you want BBs to be utterly dumpstered by DDs? And the low caliber BBs to completely suck against any standard BBs. 

BB HE was never bad for the game, over usage of it was. Might as well remove AP from DDs then. 

Switching ammo types is a good thing for a player to do, as he is rewarded with better damage vs situation than other ammo.

So removing that dynamic will turn it into a boring game. There are certain ships with HE shells that should be nerfed, like fire chance. But that's what is needed, not the complete removal.

13 hours ago, Dukemaster105 said:

When I began seeing that gameplay in videos and in battles, I was horrified and disgusted. It took the very thing battleships were supposed to be about and turned it upside down, from big burst damage from well-aimed AP against vulnerable targets to impossible to avoid damage over time against everything. It made the concept of armor and survivability irrelevant and impossible to achieve. Everything we had learned about playing in and against battleships became useless knowledge at that point, and rendered any counter-play meaningless.

Fires did that crap, not the direct damage. Removing fires from BB HE in particular is better than removing HE completely. Or making the fire reduction chance higher will be a start. But plz don't remove HE shells

14 hours ago, Dukemaster105 said:

All of this wouldn't be so bad if HE and Fire damage both had saturation, reducing the amount of damage taken by at least 50%, maybe more. But we don't. Which means it doesn't matter how much HE hits your ship or how many fires have been burning for how long, you always take the same full-damage from HE and fires as though it's your first hit of the battle.

And this is a good solution. HE already gets saturated, but not fires. So adding that part to fires would be a good thing.

14 hours ago, Dukemaster105 said:

Their HE is far too strong, and starting at Tier 7 their AP is next to useless.

Wrong. AP has a short fuse which means it dumpsters cruisers as way less overpens and more chance of cit

[NEXT]
Players
33,112 posts
16,640 battles
48 minutes ago, totally_potato said:

Japanese HE would like to stop you right there

But she does not. That is the point.

Players
2,436 posts
Just now, ColonelPete said:

But she does not. That is the point.

Wdym, high alpha HE and high fire chance minus the quater pin. That's dangerous to face when you have other things to deal with in randoms. But yeah, removing it ain't the solution

[RO-RN]
Players
1,044 posts
14,619 battles

Well UK BB HE is indeed brain dead but I dont recall someone calling ROMA HE overpowered. The UK BB line needs a rework and thunderer as well, rather they should be put in line with the likes of warspite and vanguard: exposed citadel,good rudder shift,improved heal and 2.0 sigma across the board+average HE. Thunderer could have kept the dispersion and heal but should have sacrifice HE and slighty concealment in exchange it will get improved ricochet angles(the same ones as petropavlovsk) But Lesta took the idiotic way and started nerfing premiums something that the WOT team not even thinks about anymore and so they compromised clan wars,ranked and even money spent on doubloons and they shot themselfs in the foot.

[BHSFL]
Players
4,596 posts

I could agree to the idea exlosive damage of HE is made more significant and fire chance lowered. The larger the shell is, the more exlosive filler and the more damage an explosion it causes ofcourse.

Large battleship shells pack quite an explosive charge. I can imagine their explosion IRL on thin plated superstrutures, casemate armour, bow and stern section and any installation on deck is far more devastating then our game leads us to believe out of balancing purposes. IRL near misses are reported to have sunk Destroyers by the shock wave alone.

But when you think of it......what is the difference between taking high direct explosive damage you cannot prevent in any way, or burning you can do multiple things against by modules, captain skills and player action. The fires are the better and fairer mechanic.

image.png.aee0a0ae9e3ad1bdd55f2eab1b516d5c.png

image.thumb.png.d9e24de0acc1256c786ef40f9d5dcb9d.png

[FLYDS]
Players
949 posts
4,624 battles

HE in general is a difficult topic, because it's so...well, skillless.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this