Sign in to follow this  
Alchemist79

Modules and skills

6 comments in this topic

Players
36 posts
1,246 battles

Hoping for some input on skills and modules. 

I am watching Ichases "how to get good at..." series.
Video 8 @ 4.19 he sais "do not touch main battery mod 2". This surprises me, i have been picking it on every BB so far. I hate waiting for my turrets to turn while the target is moving out of sight (or im just losing valuable DPS time) I hate gun turrets turning slower than my ship. (I sometimes slow down my turning to allow me a shot, but that may lengthen the time i give broadside). Instead he prioritizes the skill that reduces dispersion by 7%. That sounds like such a tiny number to me. Also, with my non-perfect aim i feel like dispersion might be just as likely to help me hit as to lose me a hit.

Does propulsion mod also help you decelerating, or only accelerating. And it sais it halves the time until my engine reaches full power, i assume that does not mean it halves the time for my ship to reach max speed. How long does it even take for my engine to reach full power ?  

Damage control mod 1 reduces the chance of being set on fire by 5%. That sounds pretty small (especially for a BB where this is reparable damage). How is that calculated ? Does it really mean i will suffer 5% less fires, or does it do something like reduce the risk of fire from for example 20% to 15% ? (not that i would choose engine room protection on a BB, it never gets damaged anyway). 

What do you guys think of priority target and incoming fire alert ? Incoming fire alert allows you to turn right away after someone fires at you. Priority target alerts you earlier than fire alert. On the other hand, is that even useful ? If you dodge before they fire, they will adjust their aim to it anyway. (it might actually help your enemy as they see you start your turn and thus can also anticipate your continued Ruther shift in the seconds after they shoot). Also, it may give a lot of false positives from people who are just mousing over you while they havent decided their target yet. 

In the skills video, he sais fire prevention is super critical because it reduces the max number of fires from 4 to 3. Isn't that super useless ? 3 is usually the number where i pop my repair party, (2 if i don't expect more damage coming in soon) I don't think i have ever gotten 4 fires on my ship. 

Do you agree with his focus on concealment expert for BB's ? It seems rare to me that i ever have a chance to go unseen with a BB and it seems unlikely to me that 10% concealment is going to make a big difference to that.

I don't see expert loader being advised a lot by others. How do reload times compare anyway ? I did notice force switching shells takes longer than normal reload times. Thats why i never actually do it because the broad side opportunity will be long gone when the shells are switched. What is the standard time it takes to switch shells and how does it relate to your reload time ?

Players
333 posts
4,721 battles

Oh boy we have a lot to unpack here

4 hours ago, Alchemist79 said:

Video 8 @ 4.19 he sais "do not touch main battery mod 2". This surprises me, i have been picking it on every BB so far. I hate waiting for my turrets to turn while the target is moving out of sight (or im just losing valuable DPS time) I hate gun turrets turning slower than my ship. (I sometimes slow down my turning to allow me a shot, but that may lengthen the time i give broadside). Instead he prioritizes the skill that reduces dispersion by 7%. That sounds like such a tiny number to me. Also, with my non-perfect aim i feel like dispersion might be just as likely to help me hit as to lose me a hit.

1- 7% dispersion buff is massive. Deadeye that was removed because it is overpowered gives 10% dispersion boost, the Yamato legendary mod does the same and it is considered one of the best legendary mod.

Why is that? Because dispersion isn't a number, it's an ellipse. 

Let's say you have a circle with 100m radius to make things simpler

Count pi as 3 for simplification and we get this result:

3.100^2 = 30000 square meters

Reduce it to 93 now

3.93^2 = 25947 square meters

4053 square meters difference, which translates into 13.51% difference. 

This isn't a 100% correct way of calculating it because the dispersion ellipses in WoWS aren't perfect circles, but the actual result is always bigger than 7%, you get the idea.

Does propulsion mod also help you decelerating, or only accelerating. And it sais it halves the time until my engine reaches full power, i assume that does not mean it halves the time for my ship to reach max speed. How long does it even take for my engine to reach full power ? 

2- WG Wiki puts it into words better than I ever could. 

IMG_20210605_083605.thumb.jpg.c0084911771e815793d80a0d011b5adc.jpg

Damage control mod 1 reduces the chance of being set on fire by 5%. That sounds pretty small (especially for a BB where this is reparable damage). How is that calculated ? Does it really mean i will suffer 5% less fires, or does it do something like reduce the risk of fire from for example 20% to 15% ? (not that i would choose engine room protection on a BB, it never gets damaged anyway). 

3- that's an even more complicated math and you can find how it is calculated here: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

TL:DR they don't add up, they get multiplied like 0.95 * 0.90 * 0.90 etc. It doesn't change extinguishing time it reduces your chance to catch a fire in the first place.

What do you guys think of priority target and incoming fire alert ? Incoming fire alert allows you to turn right away after someone fires at you. Priority target alerts you earlier than fire alert. On the other hand, is that even useful ? If you dodge before they fire, they will adjust their aim to it anyway. (it might actually help your enemy as they see you start your turn and thus can also anticipate your continued Ruther shift in the seconds after they shoot). Also, it may give a lot of false positives from people who are just mousing over you while they havent decided their target yet. 

4- Priority target has a second use. It tells you when a DD is sending torpedoes at you. The number goes up by 1 on it if and only someone is aiming at you with their main guns. Therefore if it goes down by one, and then goes up soon after you can assume someone switched to torps, launched them and switched back to main guns. 

Both are good skills for situational awareness. Don't hesitate using one or the other. Personally I would recommend PT because of the mentioned above(Also the fact you can know how many people are aiming at you so you disengage faster) but if you don't have the points IFA is a cheap replacement. 

In the skills video, he sais fire prevention is super critical because it reduces the max number of fires from 4 to 3. Isn't that super useless ? 3 is usually the number where i pop my repair party, (2 if i don't expect more damage coming in soon) I don't think i have ever gotten 4 fires on my ship. 

5- Fire prevention is extremely important because it doesn't only remove one fire but it removes one of the most important fires, the superstructure one. Normally you get 1 fire at the nose, 1 at the stern and 2 at superstructure. Shells normally have a hard time penetrating other parts of the ship so HE shells are aimed at the superstructure, meaning that part of the ship gets burned way more frequently and reducing that by 50% is significant.

Do you agree with his focus on concealment expert for BB's ? It seems rare to me that i ever have a chance to go unseen with a BB and it seems unlikely to me that 10% concealment is going to make a big difference to that.

6 - Yes. Especially at high tiers concealment is way too important. Spotting = information your enemy has, therefore harder they can get the info the better. Especially in high tiers when ships have over 20 km ranges, you don't want to be caught from 17 km when everyone else is seen around 12-14 km. You'll be the easiest target your enemy can damage and most important of them all you won't be able to disengage.

I don't see expert loader being advised a lot by others. How do reload times compare anyway ? I did notice force switching shells takes longer than normal reload times. Thats why i never actually do it because the broad side opportunity will be long gone when the shells are switched. What is the standard time it takes to switch shells and how does it relate to your reload time ?

7 - Expert Loader can only be activated when you are already reloaded, and its main use for BBs is to change to HE quick when there's a DD around you need to kill. Normally when you are reloaded it acts like you shot and started reloading again when you switch shells, but with Expert Loader it takes half a salvo of time. (It goes down from 30 to 15 as an example). I almost always take it because I see it as the most useful 1 point skill for BBs

• Cool 1

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters, Beta Tester
2,105 posts
15,169 battles

Worthy has posted a great answer.

Priority target is one of those skills that is pretty special because the information it provides is sometimes unobtainable any other way. You can tell when someone is aiming at you before you even see their guns turning in your direction, you can tell if there are more people ahead of you than you thought, whenever someone switches from guns to torps they briefly unlock their target which causes the PT counter to flicker down and up which is a useful indicator that someone may have swapped to torpedos. It is also worth considering that it shows you the number of people who have you locked on, if we are considering some BBs and Cruisers that don't have torpedos, these ships can only lock you if you are within their gun range (torpedos have "infinite" lock range), which can help you narrow down the list of people who may potentially be targetting you, or alert you when that 27km US BB on the other side of the map has noticed he can shoot your broadside when you thought you were safely behind cover. Even if you are just zoomed in on someone and shooting at them as they run away, you notice the PT counter go to 1, someone outside of your sniper view that you may not have noticed otherwise is targeting you and you now need to check and manevuer. There are a lot of creative ways to use the information, it is not always super enlightening and fixating on it is not helpful, but there are times it is very useful.

As a note on fire prevention also, if you are bow-on tanking the enemy then your visible attack surface is mostly your bow and superstructure, hitting the stern is much harder. So in this circumstance, FP has further reduces the most likely number of fires from 3 to 2.

And my two cents on Expert Loader. I would not agree that BBs are the main use for EL, there are far more cruisers that have effective HE and AP shells that benefit greatly from EL allowing them to swap ammo types quickly, and they can actually get a fast reaction from EL because of their naturally shorter load times. Cruisers like Des Moines, Hindenburg, Venezia, Nevsky, Goliath and more all have good enough shells of both types that they will appreciate being able to swap between them reasonably quickly when an unexpected broadside presents itself, especially those with access to special commanders with improved EL which offers a massive 75% reduction.

• Cool 1

Players
333 posts
4,721 battles

A small point I forgot to mention about Incoming Fire Alert:

It becomes kinda useless when a ship with a high fire rate is shooting at you. Like gunboat destroyers and light cruisers because it will constantly alert you about incoming fires and you're very likely to be unaware of other big salvos if you depend on the skill alone. So there's that as well. 

[VIBES]
Players
1,665 posts
24,649 battles
On 6/5/2021 at 7:50 AM, WorthyOpponent said:

Priority target has a second use. It tells you when a DD is sending torpedoes at you.

True, but never rely on it.

Many DD captains simply won't switch back to guns, especially when sailing torpedoboats (say, a Fubuki or a Halland).

It's worth pointing out that on some DDs, especially at high tiers, the torps outrange the guns, so you might torp a distant target without being able to lock your guns on him even if you wanted to (as @Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu pointed out, torps have an "infinite lock", guns do not).

In short, if an Asashio is torping you from over 11 km or so, PT won't tell you a thing about it. A false negative.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:24 AM, Alchemist79 said:

Also, it may give a lot of false positives from people who are just mousing over you while they havent decided their target yet. 

Exactly.

It's useful in general, but it's mostly useful to assess how "hot" a position is or whether some BB is trying to snipe you from across the map and it's not just your immediate opponent you should be worried about. But there are also going to be plenty of false positives from people who are just browsing targets and locking onto you for a few seconds to see if you're worth taking a shot at, if you're turning and such.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:24 AM, Alchemist79 said:

With Fire Prevention, you can usually dmgcon after 2 fires unless you're massively exposed (in which case no captain skill will save you, only an island might), and sometimes with only 1 fire going. After all, letting 2 fires burn is twice as bad as letting 1 fire burn...

Especially in the chaotic environments of mid tiers, where concealment doesn't matter much, FP is the single best survivability skill you can take.

Sign in to follow this