You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Meneleus

The Kansas - Baby Jesus save meh...

34 comments in this topic

Players
596 posts
7,522 battles

When I researched and bought the ship my expectations were low. Apparently they were not low enough...

The thick, bloated hull and the rather slow speed I can live with, yet the guns... The crazy dispersion... the incredibly poor penetration... the loooong REEEload... Every... 40... seconds... another... disappointment... I wish there was an option to swap them out for Colorado turrets, or four paired North Carolina guns...

Seriously how can one make this ship work? Only played a few games and I already get this desperate feeling I ought to claw out my eyes every time I see this thing and glance at the Battle button. It seems to be a not-so-subtle encouragement to use free XP.

Cheers, M

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[PP-PP]
Players
299 posts
13,421 battles

Wait till you get past Kansas and find out Minnesota is every bit as bad!, and yes it's encouragment to free XP past it, which most will pay money to do, it's pretty disgusting tactics.

• Cool 3

[NEXT]
Players
33,117 posts
16,640 battles

She is the perfect design for the BB players that do something else during playing.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

Players
1,955 posts
11,147 battles
8 hours ago, Meneleus said:

When I researched and bought the ship my expectations were low. Apparently they were not low enough...

The thick, bloated hull and the rather slow speed I can live with, yet the guns... The crazy dispersion... the incredibly poor penetration... the loooong REEEload... Every... 40... seconds... another... disappointment... I wish there was an option to swap them out for Colorado turrets, or four paired North Carolina guns...

Seriously how can one make this ship work? Only played a few games and I already get this desperate feeling I ought to claw out my eyes every time I see this thing and glance at the Battle button. It seems to be a not-so-subtle encouragement to use free XP.

Cheers, M

Why anyone would sail a tier 8+ ww1 design superdreadnought is beyond me? Slow fat and useless, outclassed at every turn.

[VIBES]
Players
1,680 posts
24,712 battles
8 hours ago, KHETTIFER said:

Wait till you get past Kansas and find out Minnesota is every bit as bad!

Imho the Minnesota is miles ahead: the sigma increases by 0.1 and you get that sweet, sweet USN dispersion module.

She's also a small target with a super-tight turning circle.

As long as you don't get any funny ideas about flanking or going on your own anywhere, the Minnesota should do just fine. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
5,398 posts
24,445 battles

Ship is to put it mildly "specific", but somehow I had one really good game in it. However only 1 from 129 played ;-). Personally I have found Minnesota harder to play, becouse she is even less maneuverable and more vulnerable to torps.

shot-21_05.08_01_52.56-0011.thumb.jpg.f80747d72b8681698186c135ab19d0a0.jpg

[R3B3L]
Players
1,505 posts
35,475 battles
10 hours ago, Meneleus said:

It seems to be a not-so-subtle encouragement to use free XP.

Start grinding another line actively. The Kansas you play one round per day random or co-op. Main goal; get your daily win in her and move on to ship that is fun to play. In a few months you will be done with her. I do it like that with Minnesota and - I am almost through with her, just a week or two to endure.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
844 posts
1,023 battles

I had a lot of fun in coop with Kansas. Its terrible performance in every aspect -- lousy reload, lousy pen, horrible dispersion, crap armor that is easily citadeled, and slow speed -- make it a challenge to play against bots. I played only one Random match in it to make sure it was the trash I thought it was, and ground it up quite pleasantly in coop.

But if I see one in Randoms or Ranked, I assume the team it is on has lost.

Have no idea what the devs were thinking with Kansas, Minnesota, and Vermont, when there were so many far more interesting alternatives they could have chosen for a second BB line.

• Cool 1

Players
633 posts
14,889 battles
15 hours ago, Meneleus said:

Cheers, M

Ah there was a time i thought WG went to correct way and created brawlers but no they are build for snipping I am still at the Kansas myself but don't want to spend free-exp to skip to X...

[ZEN]
Players
147 posts
4,592 battles

Vermont has 12x457 of course but the play style does not differ that much isn't that right? She's also very slow. Those ships depend on teamwork too much, even at TierX.

If your flank collapses fast, or your team leaves you at a flank and kites away, you are just food for the enemy, be it Kansas, Minnesota or Vermont.

"Positioning is everything" they say. "Plan ahead" they say.

With those ships, double that effort and you will be little bit better. Still hard.

For me? I used flags, prem time and camos to get past Kansas and Minnesota fast, used FXP only for hull upgrades.

Took me a total of 64 games. And the experience wasn't that bad (Note that deadeye was a thing then).

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,827 posts
12,853 battles

About this "thing"

Raymond Stantz: It's an ugly little spud isn't it.
Peter Venkman: I think it can hear you Ray.
Raymond Stantz: Don't move, it won't hurt you if you-
Peter Venkman: AAHH!
  • Funny 2

[THESO]
Players
1,747 posts
20,259 battles

Not every ship is designed for everybody. The USN-BB2 line is supposed to be noob friendly. If a salvo is a lottery, then Kansas provides more lots at the expense of a lower individual probability of winning. You get more dispersion but more shells to compensate for that. That's a design specifically for inexperienced players, who fail to take the maneuvers of their targets into account and regularly slightly miss their targets. On other BBs they would miss every shell, while on Kansas they still get 1-3 hits per salvo.

The slow speed is like a leash put onto the overly eager mind of those that would overextend or yolo in. The Kansas makes sure, you are hardly ever ahead of your team and the range ensures you still always have something to shoot at. Someone would have to check this in the data, but my guess is the Kansas is a low skill floor - low ceiling ship. You will likely see subpar players do better than on their other T8-BBs and above average players should do worse.

I doubt Wargaming wanted to club us over the head with this line. They likely really intended to create a line for beginners. The issue is just that the design doesn't work, cause the more guns only compensate for the slower reload. The bad dispersion comes on top of that and holds the Kansas back. But then again, don't whine about the dispersion. People like me, who unlocked it earlier, had to play with a sigma of 1.6, while you now already play a buffed sigma of 1.7. Compared to the 1.5 sigma on the Lyon and the 1.6 sigma on the Lepanto, Kansas is a sharpshooter. Actually Lepanto is a good example of how the Kansas used to be. Ofc Lepanto at least is a faster ship and less boring in that respect.

It's odd, cause you'd think WG got the message that people didn't like the USN-BB2 line. Yet they designed the italian BBs with the same slow reload and bad dispersion.

• Cool 4

[ZEN]
Players
147 posts
4,592 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Not every ship is designed for everybody

+1

This line really need the player to adapt to it. IMO, if you liked the Colorado, you may like this line.

If you hated Colorado, why even should you want to grind even more of a line with a very similar gamestyle, just to reach....  A TX with the same gamestyle.

For EX: I suck hard at CA/CL other than UK.

I don't try to get DM, because I know it will not fit my liked gamestyle.

Investing time on a better fit line is more productive I suppose.

[TACHA]
Players
844 posts
1,023 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

It's odd, cause you'd think WG got the message that people didn't like the USN-BB2 line. Yet they designed the italian BBs with the same slow reload and bad dispersion.

I think they were trying to "cool off" BBs in general, especially after the Thunderer debacle. Put the brakes on power creep. After the awful US BB-2 line, and then the meh Italian line, they have some space for more crazed gimmicks in the next line. 

It's really the only explanation of why that second line is so awful.

[THESO]
Players
1,747 posts
20,259 battles
54 minutes ago, SodaBubbles said:

It's really the only explanation of why that second line is so awful.

As I was trying to say, the line is only awful because of its reputation. The features are perceived as awful by skilled players. As I said, a bad player likely gets 1-3 hits with it, but would have got 0 hits on a ship with good dispersion, cause his aim is flawed. A good player would get 6 hits on a ship with good dispersion, but he only gets 1-4 hits on the Kansas. So he doesn't do that much better than a subpar player on a ship with shotgun dispersion. The Kansas has more RNG and that works in subpar player's favor.

The issue is rather of psychological nature. A subpar player doesn't like to think of himself as a subpar player. He just thinks he gets shortchanged all the time. He would never think of a ship like the Kansas as favoring him. He would never go "at least I got 2 hits altho my aim was so terrible, I should have missed all shells". He hears good players moan about the dispersion, so he applies that to himself and feels equally cheated. If subpar players were aware of their true qualities, they would flood the forum and say the Kansas is one of the best ships they ever had. Finally they hit something, finally their days of headless yoloing are over, finally their long range allows them to still participate, even when terribly mispositioned. So it's not an awful ship, but a good ship, just for not so good players.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
613 posts
8,532 battles

T H I C C

I got her for free during the pre access event and only played her once for the snowflake.

Players
2,436 posts
17 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Why anyone would sail a tier 8+ ww1 design superdreadnought is beyond me? Slow fat and useless, outclassed at every turn.

Its a what if and its interesting if they had gone this route

Gameplay wise Kansas still sucks mothballs, Minnesota is ok, Vermont is pretty much the death star of World of warships if I have ever seen one.

Players
2,436 posts
4 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

As I was trying to say, the line is only awful because of its reputation. The features are perceived as awful by skilled players. As I said, a bad player likely gets 1-3 hits with it, but would have got 0 hits on a ship with good dispersion, cause his aim is flawed. A good player would get 6 hits on a ship with good dispersion, but he only gets 1-4 hits on the Kansas. So he doesn't do that much better than a subpar player on a ship with shotgun dispersion. The Kansas has more RNG and that works in subpar player's favor.

The issue is rather of psychological nature. A subpar player doesn't like to think of himself as a subpar player. He just thinks he gets shortchanged all the time. He would never think of a ship like the Kansas as favoring him. He would never go "at least I got 2 hits altho my aim was so terrible, I should have missed all shells". He hears good players moan about the dispersion, so he applies that to himself and feels equally cheated. If subpar players were aware of their true qualities, they would flood the forum and say the Kansas is one of the best ships they ever had. Finally they hit something, finally their days of headless yoloing are over, finally their long range allows them to still participate, even when terribly mispositioned. So it's not an awful ship, but a good ship, just for not so good players.

the influence streamers have on players is amazing don't you think?:Smile_Default:

[THESO]
Players
9,071 posts
46,264 battles

Jest free exp it, Minnesota is more playable (although not great but it's not a world of pain like Kansas), Vermont is pretty good. 

[THESO]
Players
9,071 posts
46,264 battles

@HMS_Kilinowski it's not about the guns they're okish, but this hull all of 32mm getting so easily farmed. Painful. Because of that you need to be super careful and keep distance. And then the gun performance is even more crap than in mid range. In Vermont or Minnesota you don't need to be that far back. 

Players
6,338 posts
13,095 battles
On 6/3/2021 at 5:21 PM, Meneleus said:

Cheers, M

It's not russian. So they gave it more disadvantages than advantages.

If this had been a russian ship, it would have gotten the best armor to mitigate the maximum amount of damage when angled, icebreaker bow, highest shell velocity, a captain with a get-outa-jail-free-card, best armor vs CVs, radar (oops, almost they actually got radar, of course) and best pen angles oh and also best shell damage and shell pen characteristics. On top of being tanky. Then this ship line would have gotten 1 or 2 drawbacks to balans it like only 4 heals instead of 5 (which is fully compensated by the better armor and lower chance to catch a fire).

But unfortunately it is not russian, so it has to be a stinker. In most ways at least.

Players
2,436 posts
27 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

It's not russian. So they gave it more disadvantages than advantages.

If this had been a russian ship, it would have gotten the best armor to mitigate the maximum amount of damage when angled, icebreaker bow, highest shell velocity, a captain with a get-outa-jail-free-card, best armor vs CVs, radar (oops, almost they actually got radar, of course) and best pen angles oh and also best shell damage and shell pen characteristics. On top of being tanky. Then this ship line would have gotten 1 or 2 drawbacks to balans it like only 4 heals instead of 5 (which is fully compensated by the better armor and lower chance to catch a fire).

But unfortunately it is not russian, so it has to be a stinker. In most ways at least.

No the concept involves bad armor

They would probably have given these ships amazing concealment (like stupidly good) to disengage

That would actually be a good alternative to these ships.