Armory Maintenance - 30.11.2021 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aldramelech

Items charged to Paypal without permission

26 comments in this topic

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts

At the end of April I was quite surprised to open my emails and find a receipt from Paypal telling me that £7.01 had been withdrawn from my account for a subscription, 30 days of World of Warships premium account. At no point have I signed up to or asked for any such subscription. My initial thought was "God, have I been hacked or something" I was quite worried. I put in a ticket and to WG's credit it was dealt with quickly, a refund was immediately issued. The explanation included the sentence,  "This is a known issue and we are working now to fix this". 

OK I thought, no harm, no foul. That is until today, again I open my emails only to discover they have done exactly the same thing again......

So, WG are taking money from people's accounts, they know they are doing this and yet I see no warning or announcement. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

• Cool 2

Players
1,207 posts
8,104 battles
9 minutes ago, Aldramelech said:

At the end of April I was quite surprised to open my emails and find a receipt from Paypal telling me that £7.01 had been withdrawn from my account for a subscription, 30 days of World of Warships premium account. At no point have I signed up to or asked for any such subscription. My initial thought was "God, have I been hacked or something" I was quite worried. I put in a ticket and to WG's credit it was dealt with quickly, a refund was immediately issued. The explanation included the sentence,  "This is a known issue and we are working now to fix this". 

OK I thought, no harm, no foul. That is until today, again I open my emails only to discover they have done exactly the same thing again......

So, WG are taking money from people's accounts, they know they are doing this and yet I see no warning or announcement. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Not sure this is a deliberate act or something is going wrong somewhere at WG's or Paypal's end.

If WG were to do this without permission as a deliberate policy, they are entering something close to criminal territory.

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts
1 hour ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

Not sure this is a deliberate act or something is going wrong somewhere at WG's or Paypal's end.

If WG were to do this without permission as a deliberate policy, they are entering something close to criminal territory.

I'm not suggesting that they are doing it deliberately but by they're own admission they do know it's happening, so I would have thought this would be a priority to be fixed, within days, not over a month.  

Players
1,207 posts
8,104 battles
Just now, Aldramelech said:

I'm not suggesting that they are doing it deliberately but by they're own admission they do know it's happening, so I would have thought this would be a priority to be fixed, within days, not over a month.  

I know - I have had something similar happen to me at one point (I do not remember what exactly), and the problem was not with the company charging, not consistent (i.e. what turned out to be the cause for me was not the cause for others, thus the initial fix did not work for me), and in the end the situation was close to a catch-22.  

It could well be that CS has thought they had fixed it, incorrectly.

[HOO]
Players
2,312 posts
4,034 battles

Both available on the premium ship for the same price but one is the subscription. I bet alot of people have been caught out thinking they are just buying 30 days prem time.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Cool 2

[NEXT]
Moderator, Players, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
4,960 posts
16,349 battles

Normally I don't pick sides (especially in financial things) but this looks like an error in the billing software. Knowingly no company in it's right mind will do something like this. Not only does this ruin reputation but would lead to juristical backlash too. 

Due to the fact that WG already admitted (at least this is how I understand the first post) that there was a mistake. Maybe the 2 offers are linked wrong inside the system. That the 30 days is the subscription and the subscription is the 30 days offer. I don't think that this many people will mistake a 30 for an infinity symbol. 

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts
1 hour ago, SkipperCH said:

Normally I don't pick sides (especially in financial things) but this looks like an error in the billing software. Knowingly no company in it's right mind will do something like this. Not only does this ruin reputation but would lead to juristical backlash too. 

Due to the fact that WG already admitted (at least this is how I understand the first post) that there was a mistake. Maybe the 2 offers are linked wrong inside the system. That the 30 days is the subscription and the subscription is the 30 days offer. I don't think that this many people will mistake a 30 for an infinity symbol. 

That does seem like a logical explanation, I am surprised though if that is the case that nothing seems to have been said

[NEXT]
Moderator, Players, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
4,960 posts
16,349 battles

I have no idea how the internal billing system works. So it might have been a "hickup" that was corrected by an update or something like this. There are many speculations possible, but (at least for me) this is not happening on purpose. 

[NECRO]
Players
5,211 posts
Vor 21 Minuten, Aldramelech sagte:

so I would have thought this would be a priority to be fixed, within days, not over a month.  

What did WG do to convince you they want to stop taking money from people? It's all they care for.

[NECRO]
Players
5,211 posts
Vor 17 Minuten, Fat_Maniac sagte:

I bet alot of people have been caught out thinking they are just buying 30 days prem time.

tenor.gif

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts

Well the 2nd ticket has been answered and again quite quickly, so that's good. A refund has been issued. 

The wording of the answer to the ticket was strange, but basically this member of the support dept. ended with "The subscription has been cancelled", well gee, thanks very much, as I didn't subscribe in the first place, but while we're on the subject, why didn't that happen the last time? 

So tbc, lets see what happens on June 30th........

Players
1,207 posts
8,104 battles
9 minutes ago, Aldramelech said:

Well the 2nd ticket has been answered and again quite quickly, so that's good. A refund has been issued. 

The wording of the answer to the ticket was strange, but basically this member of the support dept. ended with "The subscription has been cancelled", well gee, thanks very much, as I didn't subscribe in the first place, but while we're on the subject, why didn't that happen the last time? 

So tbc, lets see what happens on June 30th........

Maybe that is where something indeed went wrong in the billing software.

[M_RO]
Players
147 posts
3,748 battles

@OP  Just cancel the subscription in your PP account. Then, if needed, you can activate it again in a couple of clicks.

Players
8,523 posts

There's not really any mystery here, though.

The subscription option automatically renews your Warships Premium Account for another 30 days after the expiry of each 30-day period, leaving you free to pursue glory in the game without distraction.

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts
1 hour ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

There's not really any mystery here, though.

But I never bought it

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,749 posts
1 hour ago, SmokinSerj said:

@OP  Just cancel the subscription in your PP account. Then, if needed, you can activate it again in a couple of clicks.

But there isn't one to cancel, I never bought it. Open a Paypal dispute and watch how quickly WG ban you

• Cool 1

Players
5,259 posts
4 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Both available on the premium ship for the same price but one is the subscription. I bet alot of people have been caught out thinking they are just buying 30 days prem time.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

As it would be really hard to include "per month"....

Players
8,523 posts
5 minutes ago, Aldramelech said:

But I never bought it

Okay, now that is a mystery (worthy of Sherlock Holmes...). You got a recurring subscription without ever getting a recurring subscription. I wonder if there is any tab under your account which is supposed to show you whether you got one or not.

4 minutes ago, Aldramelech said:

But there isn't one to cancel, I never bought it. Open a Paypal dispute and watch how quickly WG ban you

Yea, don't do that.

[M_RO]
Players
147 posts
3,748 battles
1 hour ago, Aldramelech said:

Well, I suppose I wasn't clear enough, sorry for that.  You never made a subscription for premium account, but most probably you - at some point - bought something in the game, otherwise WG wouldn't know your Pp account. ;)

Yesterday, I bought some doubloons = 8 euros. I had to accept my Pp account to be linked with WG so they can get the money... and the account remains like this. You just have to "unlink" it, pls follow this "tutorial" :)

Step 1 Enter your Pp account, and go to Settings

Spoiler

Snag_6f143aae.thumb.png.e9fb663d9eedec2dce27e343c13f15cb.png

Step 2 and 3

Spoiler

Snag_6f15d9f7.thumb.png.a0ae1f9552b88b18a0f190a21aeb09ac.png

Step 4

Spoiler

Snag_6f16e982.thumb.png.5f300acf0b6346c951d6ff201c4fdca0.png

Step 5

Spoiler

Snag_6f1787e5.thumb.png.9ab31332a8abc3c206ae81568e8fb035.png

... and that's it! Hope it helps!

• Cool 1

Players
705 posts
5,022 battles
9 hours ago, Aldramelech said:

Exactly the same happened to me earlier in May. Doesn't look like WG has been able to fix the problem. Here's the support ticket query and WG's response:768628237_Resolvedreply.thumb.jpg.69d7fde510d78a924ca16bd5e950603a-1.jpg.0cd2d4873be3a5786e540b556ea3fc82.jpg

• Cool 1

[M_RO]
Players
147 posts
3,748 battles
8 hours ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

Maybe that is where something indeed went wrong in the billing software.

While that could actually happen, I also think it should have been easily fixed. To be honest, I rather suspect it is an intentional "mistake"... something like "Well, leave it like this, if people comment then we refund it, if not, great, we already got their money!"

[NECRO]
Players
5,211 posts
Vor 10 Stunden, Karasu_Hidesuke sagte:

You got a recurring subscription without ever getting a recurring subscription.

Never answer your phone by saying "Yes."

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,312 posts
4,034 battles
12 hours ago, nambr9 said:

As it would be really hard to include "per month"....

The thing is, when I bought my 30 days I did pay with PayPal.

I can't confirm it but I'm pretty sure during the payment process, there was a checkbox option described as make the process easier never have to think to buy your prem time again, opt to take a subscription, or words to that effect.

If it was ticked by mistake or left checked (which is a pretty low and sleazy move if it is checked by default and you have to uncheck it) you would end up buying a subscription. However I would hope the email receipt you get after every WG purchase makes clear what you have bought and you could then easily correct your mistake.

Next time I buy a month I'll check again, unless someone can confirm earlier?

Players
1,207 posts
8,104 battles
13 hours ago, SmokinSerj said:

While that could actually happen, I also think it should have been easily fixed. To be honest, I rather suspect it is an intentional "mistake"... something like "Well, leave it like this, if people comment then we refund it, if not, great, we already got their money!"

No company would dare take that risk - since if they do, there will be criminal liability.

And the fix might be more difficult, if synchronization of data is in play somewhere.

Sign in to follow this