You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
tocqueville8

Free XP advice

Free xp advice pls  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Fellow captains, how would you spend some 2.2M free xp?

• Hayate, the straightforward option (unless you can make a case for the Agir...)
    • RB points for the Ohio (I don't care for Slava or Siegfried, and I have Emilio and Colbert)
    • RB points for Legendary Upgrades (besides the Yammy's, which ones are worth it?)
    • Bring more captains to 21 points (I have only 2 for now, but they cover about 10 ships...)
    • Wait for some future Free XP ship
    • 2.2 M?!? Holy crap, get a life!

66 comments in this topic

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles

Any advice is welcome.

Unless you know for sure of an upcoming Free XP ship, I'd rather spend it sooner than later.

I'm not running a premium account anymore, but when I get some premium time I can easily squeeze maybe 100k or more with flags and camos.

Players
4,887 posts
21,308 battles

I have both the Hayate and Ohio and like them very much. My preference goes out to Hayate because I don't play BB's much. The 21 pnt captains are only important if you play CB's, and feel like being blackmailed by WG. F-em. 19 pnts is enough for most builds, last 2 are usually just luxury points. I have a lot of LU but don't think most are worth anything.

I feel the days of FXP ships is over, but that's just a gut feeling. I'm thinking about keeping a 2M reserve just to be sure and I hear thesame amoung some of my clan members. I missed out on the Smaland when WG announced removing the Smalland 1 week after buying the Hayate, so my gut feeling is usually pretty poor as far as WG sghenannigans go. ^^

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
[IDDQD]
Korzár
577 posts
12,657 battles
Před 14 minutami Fatal_Ramses řekl/a:

Do we have any info on future free-exp ships?

Sadly no info yet.

There are many ships that were tested, but only WG knows, when they come and for what currency.

I am curious about Napoli. :Smile_Default:

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

Id get Ägir for 1million. Imo better than spending 2m for Hayate.

Would definetely not spend FreeXP for leveling commanders.

• Cool 2

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
10 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Id get Ägir for 1million

Thing is, I have the Alaska for Ranked and Azuma for some relaxing spamming in Randoms, but I can't recall ever seeing an Agir player that made me think "I want his ship", unlike with the Ohio, Bourgogne and more...

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
43 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I have a lot of LU but don't think most are worth anything.

Which ones might be worth it, in your opinion? Grozovoi? Montana? Harugumo...?

Does the LU make the Khaba more playable? I'm regrinding the line: it would be nice to have a competitive ship to look forward to...

Players
2,941 posts
34,680 battles
20 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

Yamato has the best LU. Midway, DM and Gearing good. Moskva not bad. Others are more like side grade, imo.

Does the LU make the Khaba more playable? I'm regrinding the line: it would be nice to have a competitive ship to look forward to...

Khaba LU doesn't make her more competitive. You sail with LU around 9KM detection range and just shoot a bit faster to a bit further, that's it.

Also, i don't know about Hayate, it is one of a few ships i don't have yet but you can go for Ohio if you are good with BBs. Agir is similar to Siegfried. Slava can be a devastating ship in very good hands as it has a very high skill level. In order to get the most of Slava, being a top-aiming player is not enough. One also needs a top class map awareness and decision making. It is a very hard ship to play at max level. Don't spend fxp to level up commanders. To wait for upcoming fxp ships or not to wait..Up to you. It can be a very long wait as no one has any information about any upcoming ship.

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
5 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Slava can be a devastating ship in very good hands as it has a very high skill level. In order to get the most of Slava, being a top-aiming player is not enough. One also needs a top class map awareness and decision making. It is a very hard ship to play it at max level

Yeah I don't think I'm good enough to make the Slava work.

I reckon the biggest reason my WR is so much better in the Shikishima than in the Yamato is that I tried to play the Yammy as a central-position sniper, which does good damage but doesn't really help winning flanks, whereas in the Shiki I push more, perhaps because the AA makes me more confident.

And the Slava, as I understand, is not a pusher.

• Cool 1

Players
4,887 posts
21,308 battles
1 hour ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Yamato has the best LU. Midway, DM and Gearing good. Moskva not bad. Others are more like side grade, imo.

Khaba LU doesn't make her more competitive. You sail with LU around 9KM detection range and just shoot a bit faster to a bit further, that's it.

This as far as LU's are concerning. The ships you are thinking about (Grozovoi? Montana? Harugumo...?, Khaba) nope, I wouldn't bother. The only one that's really great is the DM LU, and from what I hear the Yammi LU. The Gearing LU is good but I'm not sure it's worth the RP.

The Hayate is fun, for me personally. I know the community is not favorable mainly because of her paper stats. But my WR is pretty high and she is versatile. I have a few matches on youtube if you want to check her out.

• Cool 2

[RDNT]
Players
234 posts

Disclaimer; don't have Hayate but friends that do. They're not that impressed.....

tl;dr save the xp.

---

Having purchased both Smaaland and Somers (steel ikr) this winter I can say that I enjoy both boats* more than their so/so tech three counterparts (Halland & Gearing)

Paolo Yolo and Vampire II are RB and Neystramyskewhatshername been turned into coal boat* could indicate Druid becomin'  a freexp boat* - but thb likewise a steel monster, we dont know atm.

Now; you don't state it but do you have Shima? If you do; is it a favorite?

- Yes; do you need a carbon copy then?

- No; are you sure a gimmicky boat* of the same kind are gonna work wonders for you?

Given that Somers have been withdrawn from the market, could the upcoming Druid (RN tx DD) be of interest perhaps?

---

I'd save em'. 

Perhaps you care to explain option two; "RB points for the Ohio" <-- what do you mean?

*) Yeah. Boats, they are DDs so just for fun I call them little ones 'boats' xD

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

The only one that's really great is the DM LU, and from what I hear the Yammi LU.

I have the LU for the Yammy (so she can be as accurate as my Shiki :Smile_Default:, albeit with worse DPM), and as for the DM, I have the Salem, so I'm not sure I'd invest the RB points in a ship that's fairly similar.

On the other hand, the Udaloi was a favorite of mine during the grind, and the Grozo is basically the same deal, but with competitive concealment, so I'd play her as my go-to versatile/hybrid DD. Hence why the LU might be worth it in the long run. I have all other T10s save for Petro, Nevsky, Moskva, Henri, Goliath, Kleber, Z-52 and of course the Colombo.

Thanks for the replays, I'll check them out. :fish_book:

Cheers :)

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

Now; you don't state it but do you have Shima? If you do; is it a favorite?

I do, but I kept my "good" captain (19 points) on the Yugumo, since the frequent all-T9 games make the TRB option more attractive. The same captain I use on the Asashio B.

Basically, I'd play the Shima more if I had a better captain (20 points at least, to take both RPF and torpedo reload: I'm at 13 for now).

With the Hayate, I could either use my Yugumo/Asashio captain, playing it a torpboat, or Yamamoto, specced for the Kitakaze with CE+RPF+AFT. I like using my guns on DDs, so I'm tempted...

- Yes; do you need a carbon copy then?

I don't think the Hayate is a carbon copy of the Shima: leaving aside the TRB option, she has 40% more HE DPM when stock.

But honestly, I havent' played the Shima long enough to have a strong opinion on her. It was around the time I got her that I frequently had desynch issues, so then I moved on to other lines.

However, I have been enjoying Smaland and Daring, which are a lot more gun-focused, so that's an argument in favor of the Hayate, despite the lack of a heal.

Perhaps you care to explain option two; "RB points for the Ohio" <-- what do you mean?

I could reset and regrind some lines, using free xp to skip the stock modules, and get Research Bureau points.

I think I'd pick the Harugumo line first, as I have permacamos and permacaptains for Akizuki and Kitakaze.

Since I have the Emilio (hilarious ship) and the Colbert (difficult ship), and since the Siegfried seems pointless with the secondary nerf, and since the Slava doesn't appeal to me, that leaves:

1) the Vampire II, for which I wouldn't have a good captain

2) the Ohio, which is a powerful generalist (30 mm overmatch, insane secondary fire chance, good hp and quick-reloading heals) and for which I'd have no shortage of captains. The Ohio was my 1st choice for the Reseach Bureau, but I got side-tracked by the Emilio (I don't regret it one bit) and then by the Colbert, which was built in real life and is very exciting when I manage to make her work (rarely, unfortunately).

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,138 posts
6,610 battles

I'm going to give my  vote to the Hayate. She's a pretty fun ship, and the best IJN DD trainer you can get bar none.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
1,667 posts
19,470 battles
4 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Any advice is welcome.

Unless you know for sure of an upcoming Free XP ship, I'd rather spend it sooner than later.

I'm not running a premium account anymore, but when I get some premium time I can easily squeeze maybe 100k or more with flags and camos.

I don't think you need 21pt-captains. RP ships can be nice, but in terms of exchanging FXP to RP they are quite overpriced. Hayate for 2M is already very costly. RP-ships are equally expensive, but only if you wait for the 2x bonus. Then it takes you 9 months to get the RP. If you do it without them, e.g. Ohio costs the equivalent of 4M FXP.

Hayate is not super impressive, but also not a bad ship. She just lacks gimmicks in a state of the game, where every ship gets dumped multiple gimmicks on it. It can also be a blessing in disguise. If you don't depend so much on gimmicks, you learn to play a DD solid and traditional. Hayate has some of the best guns in the game. Basically they are Shima guns, so they hit reliably, hard and in the Hayate version pretty fast. Just if you get it, don't think of it as a torpedo boat, think of it as a less angry, more cold-blooded version of the Harugumo.

• Cool 3

[VIBES]
Players
1,221 posts
22,939 battles
32 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

RP-ships are equally expensive, but only if you wait for the 2x bonus. Then it takes you 9 months to get the RP

Are you sure it's not 3 months?

Since I got my 5th T10 ship last May (République), I've regrinded 4 lines with the bonus (Montana, Zao, Hakuryu and République herself), so that should be 3 months each.

I really don't mind the Research Bureau system, and I'm even regrinding some lines without the bonus, just to have more mid-tier options when I play with my buddies, but some stock modules, and some ships in general (Nagato...:Smile_sad:), are a bit of a pain along the way.

49 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

I don't think you need 21pt-captains.

Before the rework I had 15 or so élite captains, so I could farm free cpt xp on basically every other T9-10 ship. Now I have 2, and I'm sad.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,138 posts
6,610 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Hayate is not super impressive, but also not a bad ship. She just lacks gimmicks in a state of the game, where every ship gets dumped multiple gimmicks on it. It can also be a blessing in disguise. If you don't depend so much on gimmicks, you learn to play a DD solid and traditional. Hayate has some of the best guns in the game. Basically they are Shima guns, so they hit reliably, hard and in the Hayate version pretty fast. Just if you get it, don't think of it as a torpedo boat, think of it as a less angry, more cold-blooded version of the Harugumo.

Have annoyed, and then surprised, more than a few team mates in mine by taking on and gunning down DD's when they were expecting me to torp boat, or just hide.

With that slow torpedo reload I want to make every torpedo count, so of course I am going to try and gun down any DD I know I have a reasonable chance of doing so (which are more than most would think), especially with support..

• Cool 1

Players
789 posts
29,753 battles

Hayate is a Shimakaze with a better Reload but worse Concealment.

I did a Comparison between Shimakaze, Hayate and Harugumo

I also Calculated He and AP DPM for the Stock Ship if every Shell that is fired in a Minute results in a Pen

He/AP Damage/3*Number of Guns*60 Seconds/Reload Time in Seconds

Ship Shimakaze Hayate Harugumo
Reload Time 5,74 4 3
He Damage 2150 2150 1200
Ap Damage 2200 2200 1700
He DPM 44.948 64.500 80.000
AP DPM 45.993 66.000 113.000
Concealment 7,11 7,74 7,92

So If you want a Ship with a Damage Output and a Concealment that sits between Shimakaze and Harugumo and you are willing to pay 2 Million FreeXP for it than go for it.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,138 posts
6,610 battles
16 minutes ago, doerhoff_damian said:

So If you want a Ship with a Damage Output and a Concealment that sits between Shimakaze and Harugumo and you are willing to pay 2 Million FreeXP for it than go for it.

Should also be noted that she can  train skippers for both of those equally as well.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
28,147 battles

2.2 mil free XP is really not that much.

In case you have not noticed,  we have been blessed with the awesome skill rework,, which means the captain points needed, and the retrain/reskill are much more expensive than before. So better keep that free XP for that.

Ohio's most part of the fun was the secondaries, and that part is finished now , and Hayate is not that great.

[ALYEN]
Players
2,992 posts
4,466 battles
9 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Grozo LU is good if you play more the gunboat side of the ship. Otherwise it heavily nerfs the torpedoes.

I play Khaba with the LU and all out damage build, stock rudder and throttle dodge mostly. Playing similar to what an HIV would play. It works ... kinda ...

cannot comment on the others. I have the Z-52 one, tried it once for lols, very situational.

Players
2,417 posts
9,506 battles
10 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Thing is, I have the Alaska for Ranked and Azuma for some relaxing spamming in Randoms, but I can't recall ever seeing an Agir player that made me think "I want his ship", unlike with the Ohio, Bourgogne and more...

I have the Agir, the Ohio and the Bourgogne. I had the most fun with Agir, despite that I’m mainly a BB player. You don’t see exceptional Agir players, because it’s much easier to get than an Ohio or a Bourgogne. The average Agir player is much less skilled than the average Ohio or Bourgogne player. You don’t get Agir because she’s OP, you get it because she’s solid and fun, and has a unique playstyle that you can’t find anywhere else. Also a lot of CCs, including Flambass prefers Agir over Siegfried. Alaska has a better WR because of her radar, but I prefer to take Agir, even in ranked bronze and silver, because she is more fun to play.

Given that you have more than 2 million freeXP, I’d wait for the next T10 freeXP ship. If we get Smaland quality again, then grab that, otherwise go for the Agir.

[SINT]
Players
1,231 posts
24,540 battles

My advice depends on your priorities. Do you want to have your most wanted ship now or do you want to play the long game of collecting as much ships as possible as efficient as possible while preventing / minimizing the chance that you miss a ship when WG pulls a ship from shop ( anouncing the withdrawal the moment you just spend your currency the day before on the “ wrong ship”). I will base my advice on the long run game.

Since you are also a non premium ( free) player you might also focus on silver ships to get those SC for those T10 and steel / coal for others. More ships leads to more currency and thus even more ships.

With 2.2 M FXP you have a nice supply and since spending it on Hayata might not be the best investment ( since you have lower ships still available). Maybe spend 1m on Agir and keep 1.2m for reserve for now. What about Nelson ( get it now) or Friesland? 

Using FXP to partly boost RB grinding works well too. But rather do it steady and slow ( get that 2x bonus) And counter the urge to blow all your FXP to do it multiple times for limited rewards without the double bonus. Ohio is the best option you have left. Do preferably one reset in each period. 

So with your 2.2 M:

0. Nelson 375k FXP (Not sure you have it though so the step 0 advice)

1. Agir or Friesland 1m FXP

2. Ease up your RB grind a bit with around 300/ 400 k FXP ( first few low tiers) and then some painful stock modules. 

3. Especially if you did not have to spend on Nelson you could use some FXP to speed up your silver grind a bit. When anniversary comes and you are not yet able to unlock that new silverT10 some FXP might help. Or even T8 or T9 when steel is the reward. But then credits matters too.

You are still left with 500- 800 k FXP with enough flexibility to pick a new 1 m FXP ship up when desired ( or in case you still need one of both Friesland/ Agir and the one you did not pick get announced to be removed)

Players
2,941 posts
34,680 battles
16 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

You don’t get Agir because she’s OP, you get it because she’s solid and fun, and has a unique playstyle that you can’t find anywhere else. Also a lot of CCs, including Flambass prefers Agir over Siegfried.

Flambass has an aggressive play style, which is how i play usually. He might have said he likes Agir more than Siegfried (idk if he said it) due to Agir's faster main battery reload which yields to a higher dpm. Siegfried reloads at 22.9s, Agir at 17.5s. Both reloads are slow tbh. On the other hand, Siegfried has bigger guns (380mm vs 305mm) and less guns ( 6vs9 ). Overall, Siegfried guns have better accuracy and armor penetration capability which means it would fit your play style better than Agir as you play BBs more often.

siegagir.JPG

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
11 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Dunno if you play Brawls, but Ägir is quite strong/fun in those.