Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
xZExPISCOx

What to buy with coal? Ship or commander?

13 comments in this topic

[VTSPT]
Players
52 posts
1,432 battles

Hello,

I have US, Russia and Japan BB lines fully researched and own all BBs from T8 - T10, i also have Halsey, Yamamoto and Sansonetti unlocked and with 140k coal in my account i was thinking to buy the Russian commander but a few things changed in my gameplay which are making me consider about spending the coal on a commander or ship.

The first thing is that finally after more than 1k battles exclusively on BBs, i started to unlock and play cruisers, i am currently in tier 9 Buffalo which i hate by the way, but i enjoyed New Orleans and Baltimore and i will grind it to Tier 10 Des Moines which by a few posts i read it's really good. Are there worthy cruisers to buy with coal?

The second thing is that i don't play much russian BBs, i like them but the lack of range in higher tiers is too much, i can't even remember the last time i saw a Kremlin in the enemy team. Is the russian commander good for cruisers?

I have researched the german BB line to tier 7 and recently bought Agir and i like it because it almost plays like a BB, after the US CC line is the German CC line the way to go and is the German unique commander good for it?

Players
231 posts
12,316 battles

I personally went for ships i wanted first. Ships get removed, commanders haven't up until now.

I have all the ships i want now so literally just got Kuznetsov.

Don't forget though, there are commanders for 35k coal instead of the 175k. They might not have the Special skill (Kuznetsov's heal for eg) but they do have the improved skills.

• Cool 1

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts
8 minutes ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

there are commanders for 35k coal

Sadly only for USN, RN, KM and Pan-Asian. Unless I've missed something.

[SHAD]
Players
3,730 posts
15,086 battles

The Russian commander was slightly nerfed in the commander rework but is still very strong due to the 'will to victory' talent.

I would still recommend ships first, far more interesting.

• Cool 1

[VTSPT]
Players
52 posts
1,432 battles
Il y a 27 minutes, Ehern a dit :

How to get the italian one?

I have spent maybe 120k coal to buy the italian crates for the italian collection that gives you Sansonetti when completed

• Cool 1

[VTSPT]
Players
52 posts
1,432 battles

Which ship is good to buy with coal? Only CCs or BBs. I already have a 20 and 16 points russian commanders and the uniques i have don't really make me better and i have only activated a couple of times the unique perks.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,860 posts
6,468 battles
2 minutes ago, xZExPISCOx said:

Which ship is good to buy with coal? Only CCs or BBs. I already have a 20 and 16 points russian commanders and the uniques i have don't really make me better and i have only activated a couple of times the unique perks.

Personally I'd say Pommern. Good solid all arounder, and a very good captain's trainer for the KM BB's.

Players
231 posts
12,316 battles

image.thumb.png.5d9cd2d25fbeda1564a843a5f43c7a12.png

23 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Sadly only for USN, RN, KM and Pan-Asian. Unless I've missed something.

Yes you've missed the 2 RU commanders Znamensky. One for coal, one for dubs.

image.thumb.png.c0e47a23bf1b913438a7133aad9c2eda.png

[SM0KE]
Players
6,876 posts
15,417 battles

I would always go with ships, at least as long as there are interesting ones that you don't have.

Partly this is because there is more tangible benefit to having a premium (or semi, for the T10s) compared to the difference between a standard 10 point captain and a 'magic' one; besides that, a ship does give you something new to play (in general, perhaps excluding some of the more blatant copy-paste efforts), plus you get snowflakes a few times a year where you get something useful for - essentially - just playing a premium.

The final (potential) obvious benefit is that premiums prevent you getting the same ship again from loot boxes and missions etc. (where applicable - less pertinent, so far, for T10s).

[VIBES]
Players
844 posts
20,137 battles
On 4/9/2021 at 3:30 PM, xZExPISCOx said:

Are there worthy cruisers to buy with coal?

I'm not sure.

The Salem is decent, but you're grinding towards the Des Moines, which is very similar. Btw, both are going to feel more fragile than the Baltimore, despite the heal: they have the same 27 mm bow plating, which bounces the AP shells of a lot of T8 BBs, but basically no T10 BB.

The Flint has a pathetic 11 km range: you used to be able to improve it with the AFT skill, but they removed it for cruisers.

The Moskva used to be a tech tree ship, and I don't have her so I can't judge her. Keep in mind the other Soviet T10 cruisers (Petro, Nevsky, Stalingrad) are all considered pretty strong, so if you grind them you might feel the Moskva doesn't give you anything better, gameplay-wise.

My suggestion: get the Yoshino. She has great range and ballistics, as well as trollish long-range torpedoes for area denial, and she would offer you a very different experience than the USN CA line which you're grinding. She's not a very exciting/stressful ship to play, but for that you have the Baltimore, Des Moines and such. I have the Azuma, which is similar but a bit more fragile (and no torps) and I play her when I want something more relaxing.

Players
2,238 posts
9,066 battles

I consider how much fun I get for the invested resource. Commanders are nice to have but not so much fun as a new ship, even if you already have a lot of ships. I won’t even buy commanders for 35k coal. Some commanders for 1500 doubloons are fine as the have expert loader or adrenaline rush, increased fire chance, or expert marksman perks that are useful. I bought a couple of them. I also bought two of the Dashas to have a cool female commander, much better than the anime ones. 1500 doubloons are not so hard to get, even if you’re free to play. In free to play mode, however, I’d rather keep my doubloons and collect some more to get OP ships like Lenin or T61, or fun ships like Tirpitz or Scharnhorst.

Sign in to follow this