Sign in to follow this  
ssjuhl

Commander retraining

9 comments in this topic

[_SOG_]
Players
1 post

Hi :-)

If a commander is trained for a new ship, does he then lose the ability to lead his old ship? My problem is that I have a good commander on Gneisenau and I wish to keep Gneisenau after upgrading to Bismarck: Does he have to retrain everytime I move him back and forth between the two ships? If so, I guess I have to recruit a new commander. 

Best Regards, Søren

[CCN]
Players
17 posts
11,322 battles

Yes...
Once you retrain commander to B'mark you will have to retrain him for Gneisenau  again.

But from patch 0.10.2 you can go to battle without commander

[CATS]
Players
31,005 posts
15,701 battles
20 minutes ago, ssjuhl said:

Hi :-)

If a commander is trained for a new ship, does he then lose the ability to lead his old ship? My problem is that I have a good commander on Gneisenau and I wish to keep Gneisenau after upgrading to Bismarck: Does he have to retrain everytime I move him back and forth between the two ships? If so, I guess I have to recruit a new commander. 

Best Regards, Søren

Silver Ships need to have their own commanders. Retraining them every time is a waste of ressources.

Back in the day I moved my Gneisenau commander to Bismarck and recruited a new one for Gneisenau.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,933 posts
15,447 battles
On 4/8/2021 at 6:06 AM, ssjuhl said:

If a commander is trained for a new ship, does he then lose the ability to lead his old ship?

Short answer: yes, for silver ships. You can, of course, move commanders between premium ships without penalty and/or the need to retrain.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:06 AM, ssjuhl said:

My problem is that I have a good commander on Gneisenau and I wish to keep Gneisenau after upgrading to Bismarck

You'll need a separate commander for each; probably the optimal approach (depending a bit on available resources) is to move the good commander to the T8, and recruit a new one for the T7; after you've done that, thrash the nuts off Gneis in Narai, to get the captain to a more respectable level.

If you have the doubloons available, starting with a ten pointer will speed things up a bit.

Players
37 posts
1,237 battles
On 4/9/2021 at 9:14 PM, Verblonde said:

Short answer: yes, for silver ships.

You'll need a separate commander for each; probably the optimal approach (depending a bit on available resources) is to move the good commander to the T8, and recruit a new one for the T7; after you've done that, thrash the nuts off Gneis in Narai, to get the captain to a more respectable level.

If you have the doubloons available, starting with a ten pointer will speed things up a bit.

Almost new player here (playing since 5 days yet), which is not so familiar with the jargon and various other terms. Could you pls clarify the parts I emphasized  above?

1. What is a silver ship? It's a ship which is not premium or some other... species?

2. What exactly is Narai?

3. What is a ten pointer?

Thanks.

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
12,284 posts
Vor 1 Minute, SmokinSerj sagte:

1. What is a silver ship?

a regular ship from the tech tree = bought for credits ("silver")

2. What exactly is Narai?

an operation/scenario

3. What is a ten pointer?

a captain with 10 skill points

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
6,933 posts
15,447 battles
2 hours ago, SmokinSerj said:

Could you pls clarify the parts I emphasized  above?

@Klopirat beat me to it!

Some additional minor notes:

• I mentioned Narai as it's the only Op currently available for T7 ships; the other Ops are all T6 (which is worth recalling if/when you need to perform a similar exercise a tier lower).
  • Captain training/retraining is one area where WG make their money - it's a lot easier/faster to move captains up the tiers with you if you spend money (doubloons). This one one area where having suitable premium ships can help: in the case of the OP, a captain has moved from Gneis to Bismarck; if you spend the doubloons (assuming a shortage of elite captain xp), the captain will be 100% trained for Bismarck, so no problem. Not everyone has the spare money/doubloons though, so the alternative route is to partially train the captain for Bismarck (where his skills won't work properly) and then play him in a premium ship (where his skills will work) until he's fully trained and his skills kick in on Bismarck. Of course, this approach still requires a suitable premium ship, but some of those are available free (assuming you define coal/missions as free).
  • You'll often see people referring to ten points as being a significant benchmark for captains (ten plus is 'good enough'; fewer points not so much); the reason for this is the Concealment Expert (CE) captain skill, and the soonest you can get that is ten points (you have to take one each of the 1,2, and 3 point skills before your first 4 point skill). With the exception of some of the fatties (CVs and some BBs), CE is usually the first 4 point skill you pick, and it's perhaps the most important if you make any use of concealment. Concealment, and the associated vision mechanics are so important to doing well in the game that much emphasis is made of the ten point mark.
  • There are some 10 point captains available for coal in the Armory [sic] if you don't have the doubloons/elite captain xp available...
  • Cool 1

WG Staff
2,513 posts
930 battles
On 4/8/2021 at 4:37 PM, Ruth_clifton said:

y  go  in  2  battle wihtout  commander you  dont  get   xp

Exactly 😊.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 115002.png

Sign in to follow this