Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Itwastuesday

Plymouth?

36 comments in this topic

[SPURD]
Players
866 posts
6,568 battles

I got enough steel for it, but there's not even a complete wiki page for it. How is it? 

Players
2,475 posts
10 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Quite close to Saltash and about 30 miles from Exeter, I think. 

Screenshot (481).png

Screenshot (482).png

[SM0KE]
Players
6,902 posts
15,440 battles

There used to be a rather splendid pasty emporium roughly on the corner of New George and Raleigh Streets - I'm pretty sure they were responsible for me putting on half a stone back in the day...!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
25 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

I got enough steel for it, but there's not even a complete wiki page for it. How is it? 

Good at shredding DDs :cap_rambo:

If you would throw Radar Edin and Smoke Mino into a bowl, shake it and thats what you could get out of it.

• Cool 2

[SPURD]
Players
866 posts
6,568 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Good at shredding DDs :cap_rambo:

If you would throw Radar Edin and Smoke Mino into a bowl, shake it and thats what you could get out of it.

Shredding DD sounds lovely. I haven't played any british cruiser line though, does that mixture average into clunky unmaneuverable floating citadel or perhaps, hopefully, a comfortable to play ship?

Players
2,308 posts
20,574 battles

I have not played mine that much but thus far I really like her, it’s an ideal DD hunter and provided you feel reasonably confident in the high tier British light cruisers it’s a lot of fun. Especially later game when hopefully you have killed the DDs and can then grind down enemy cruisers and BBs from their flank.

On a side note Plymouth is nice but I prefer Exmouth :)

• Cool 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,682 battles
[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
Just now, Itwastuesday said:

Shredding DD sounds lovely. I haven't played any british cruiser line though, does that mixture average into clunky unmaneuverable floating citadel or perhaps, hopefully, a comfortable to play ship?

It is a bit tankier than Mino because the citadel is not as exposed. More waterline and ofc Neptune/Mino even have the extra step which lifts the citadel even further, making bow/stern overmatch cits more likely. I havent taken that many cits in the few games ive played Plymouth, but ive played a lot of RN CLs, even Radar Mino in CBs.

At the same time, it doesnt feel that maneuverable. One really offputting thing are the backturret firing angles. They are absolutely horrid, you are basicly going full broadside to use them.

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
1,387 posts
14,475 battles
7 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Okay. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.a4d2a29739873766ec81ceec3647b10a.png

Let us know what you think of her. I haven't yet made my mind up, but may consider her.

Players
2,308 posts
20,574 battles
9 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Okay. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.a4d2a29739873766ec81ceec3647b10a.png

Hope you have fun with her.

One suggestion I would make is always have an exit strategy with her, because she’s not an especially tanky ship it pays to be ready to run away should your back up suddenly disappear or a radar cruiser decide to rush you in your smoke. 

Happy sailing.

• Cool 1

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,795 posts
1,060 battles
12 hours ago, Verblonde said:

There used to be a rather splendid pasty emporium roughly on the corner of New George and Raleigh Streets - I'm pretty sure they were responsible for me putting on half a stone back in the day...!

Oggy Oggy is still there, if that's the one you're talking about 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,902 posts
15,440 battles
52 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

Oggy Oggy is still there, if that's the one you're talking about 

I believe it is - that's splendid news, after twenty five or so years! :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SPURD]
Players
866 posts
6,568 battles
5 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Let us know what you think of her. I haven't yet made my mind up, but may consider her.

Had some of the usual "everybody dies in 3 min" matches, but I had fun every time and felt like I'm a massive sore thumb for the enemy team trying to push in for the win mores. 

Handling feels adequate, I haven't been blapped once even though some very angry guns have shot at me (excellent tinfoil plate doesn't arm anything seems like), can play quite aggressively because of the consumables kit unlike say a Worcester that dies when you are suprised... The guns seem insane to me. Is this actually SAP? How come these tiny gun salvos do so much damage to everything? Maybe that's the RN CL thing tho. Again unlike Wooster which is the other CL I have so that's what I compare to, the ballistics are sufficient for actually hitting destroyers, who die a horrible, violent death when you find them. 

My opinion is that of not the best cruiser player of course, but I think this ship is disgusting :D

• Funny 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
24 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Is this actually SAP?

RN CLs have short-fuse AP with a very low armor threshold to arm the fuse, so they have no problem arming&detonating inside DDs, superstructures and bows/sterns.

image.png.1f6817ff0d342eec9677646ecf2ffe84.png

At the same time that means, you cant citadel ships which have layered citadel armor like Petro, italian CAs or french CAs.

• Cool 2

[SPURD]
Players
866 posts
6,568 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

RN CLs have short-fuse AP with a very low armor threshold to arm the fuse, so they have no problem arming&detonating inside DDs, superstructures and bows/sterns.

At the same time that means, you cant citadel ships which have layered citadel armor like Petro, italian CAs or french CAs.

Right, I tried to citadel a Stalingrad and had to settle for huge damage numbers instead of huge damage numbers :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,682 battles
3 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Right, I tried to citadel a Stalingrad and had to settle for huge damage numbers instead of huge damage numbers :cap_rambo:

Now, it's time for you to share a good Plymouth video with us ( whenever ready) :cap_like:

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Im not sure how close you need to be to citadel a stalingrad, probably <6km or maybe even a bit closer. Also he needs to show almost perfect broadside, otherwise you need to be even closer. Stalin has 180mm cit armor? i think. At 6km, Plymouth has 180mm pen, so yep, 6km max, probably closer even.

Same goes for MOskva btw.

Beta Tester
3,621 posts
16,523 battles
52 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Is this actually SAP?

27 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

What should also be mentioned is that it has improved ricochet angles on the AP, which are not as good as those on the Italian cruiser SAP, but better than those on Des Moines AP.

And unlike Italian SAP, it does not automatically shatter if the armor is thicker than a certain threshold, but is only limited to penetration over distance as usual.

• Cool 1

[SPURD]
Players
866 posts
6,568 battles
40 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Now, it's time for you to share a good Plymouth video with us ( whenever ready) :cap_like:

Is that the spell that causes 20 game losing streaks? 

Players
2,797 posts
33,682 battles
2 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Is that the spell that causes 20 game losing streaks? 

I guess so :cap_haloween: Actually Dfens can throw a couple of tricks about its game play if you post a video since he's played the ship before.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,902 posts
15,440 battles
1 hour ago, Itwastuesday said:

the ballistics are sufficient for actually hitting destroyers, who die a horrible, violent death when you find them. 

Reminds me of the first one I ran into:

• Oooo, a Plymouth? Is that the new one...?
  • <pauses to try and remember what it can do>
  • Oh well, it's a RN cruiser; what's the worst that can happen...?
  • <smoke, radar, horrifying carnage>
  • Ah...
  • Funny 4

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
14 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Oh well, it's a RN cruiser; what's the worst that can happen...?

shot-21_03_03_00_52.49-0637.thumb.jpg.ee4136373aac27d063b84037bef8ed47.jpg

good that this wasnt you... I could see the pants being on the floor when it happened :cap_haloween:

• Funny 2

Players
2,797 posts
33,682 battles
18 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

shot-21_03_03_00_52.49-0637.thumb.jpg.ee4136373aac27d063b84037bef8ed47.jpg

good that this wasnt you... I could see the pants being on the floor when it happened :cap_haloween:

Imagine you killed the dd, put your smoke and enemy ships angled and all you do is chip damage. Do you think like it’s a wasted smoke?

Sign in to follow this