You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
WinningSpike010

WG stop star-saver in ranked, please

73 comments in this topic

Players
115 posts
16,690 battles

Ok, now it's going to become a serious issue...
Ranked battles were already hard to fight in the previous format, because of worse influence tomatoes have on the battle outcome in a smaller team.
In the new format they are almost unplayable because of the increasing amount of star-saver-only players.
Almost none is doing THEIR job in ranked anymore. Everyone just thinks to cap the closest (and usually the safest and not decisive) area to earn XP enough to save their f... star!! As usual, something intended to encourage players fighting and be active it just works in the opposite way...

Most of DD captains usually go to the closest area completely ignoring the farther and let the enemies cap it for free. Basically, most of DDs are currently playing AGAINST their team mates! Well, you can still report them for unsporting behaviour but it won't affect them actually and they will keep their play style anyway...
Maybe it's time to think of something else to encourage the players to be active.
So, what about let the best DAMAGE dealer (or the best ship KILLER, but it could often be hard to choose just one...) save their star?? This could still be not enough to discourage the star-savers, but it would maybe force them fighting a little bit more, at least...      
What are your suggestions about that?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 7

[TACHA]
Players
249 posts
945 battles

I play Ranked on two servers. None of this is my experience. Outside the somewhat higher population of botters, most players play to win, even though they are largely mediocre to bad. Because so many players are so awful, it is not difficult to play well enough to influence the outcome.

Damage dealing and killing are not good measures -- I can do 30K in a DD and decisively affect the game, and 120K in a BB and have little effect on the outcome. XP remains the best of the many bad measures of performance.

• Cool 3

[SHAD]
Players
3,771 posts
15,149 battles

DDs trying to save a star? I really don't see it at all.

Thunderers and conquerors do sometimes hide at the back farming damage though.

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
1,396 posts
14,498 battles

Not my experience, but then I play DD. I sometimes switch caps with open water boats (IJN or French) to take the hardest cap. 

What I do see is the usual idiots in all classes. Thunderers that go to the map edge, radar cruisers going for the easy instead of the contested cap, DDs that die within 2 minutes and yolo's.

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles

What OP is proposing is the problem, not the solution for star savers. Do we need to further incentivize the “killer“ thunderers who selfishly hide in the back, farming damage while their teammates either carry the game, or die trying, serving as the thundy’s meatshields long enough for him to farm his star?

• Cool 5

[NECRO]
Players
3,115 posts
Vor 6 Stunden, WinningSpike010 sagte:

Almost none is doing THEIR job in ranked anymore.

Job? This is a game, not a job. And if it was a job, you would not be the one deciding about it for others.

Everyone just thinks to cap the closest (and usually the safest and not decisive) area to earn XP enough to save their f... star!!

Hm. Question: If you don't cap the closest cap asap, but the enemy does, won't you be behind in points right from the start? I think preventing an early setback is absolutely decisive. Especially after the performance (to put it mildly) by battleships and cruisers, who not only expect the destroyers to cap, defend and spot, but also play bait for the carriers, if present.

Most of DD captains usually go to the closest area completely ignoring the farther and let the enemies cap it for free.

Dunno what good it could do to race to the far cap and trying to take it unsupported (because big ships sitting back or being afk), let alone hold it afterwards. If you have plenty of destroyers, it might be worth a shot, but with only one or maybe two? Play a destroyer, try it out, count your successes and deaths.

So, what about let the best DAMAGE dealer (or the best ship KILLER, but it could often be hard to choose just one...) save their star??

Yeah, so every battleship would not even start its engine and keep sniping from the back, losing by points (because no caps), all the time shouting for intelligence data (though more in need of intelligence than data).

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
3,136 posts
10,750 battles
6 hours ago, WinningSpike010 said:

So, what about let the best DAMAGE dealer (or the best ship KILLER, but it could often be hard to choose just one...) save their star?? This could still be not enough to discourage the star-savers, but it would maybe force them fighting a little bit more, at least...      

This is litteraly the current situation....... The best damage dealer saves their star, hence they camp in the back to ensure they can farm damage up until the last second of the game.

• Cool 1

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles
4 hours ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

If you don't like DD mates on your team, play DD yourself. Problem solved.

This. If you want to win games in ranked, playing a DD you are good at is the way to go. In small maps with 7 vs 7, winning the DD duel early wins the game most of the time.

[OGHF]
Players
1,415 posts
24,561 battles
1 hour ago, Camperdown said:

Not my experience, but then I play DD. I sometimes switch caps with open water boats (IJN or French) to take the hardest cap. 

What I do see is the usual idiots in all classes. Thunderers that go to the map edge, radar cruisers going for the easy instead of the contested cap, DDs that die within 2 minutes and yolo's.

I think you answered why the DD died as the BB went to border, the radar CA was no where near the cap, so the DD had no support and died , see this TOOOOOO many times and the team always loose. in a run of 6 battles yesterday i was on winning side 3 times (and in the top 3), saved my star twice and lost star once in my Somers.

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

If I know WG, they are gonna complicate the system furthermore ... adding not only stars, but also hearts, circles, spades, clubs and diamonds :)

• Funny 1

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles
18 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

If I know WG, they are gonna complicate the system furthermore ... adding not only stars, but also hearts, circles, spades, clubs and diamonds :)

Also some kind of new token with which you can buy stars. Probably obtainable from random bundles purchasable with another new currency.

[LUZ1]
Players
1,396 posts
14,498 battles
3 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

Also some kind of new token with which you can buy stars. Probably obtainable from random bundles purchasable with another new currency.

No, from satanic loot boxes :Smile_facepalm:

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles
2 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

No, from satanic loot boxes :Smile_facepalm:

This is evil enough, but not unnecessarily complicated and opaque enough to be a genuine WG solution to a problem (that doesn't exist).

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles

Really, why does WG not remove the star saving? They never did before but they can do it now. Maybe they think one loser from the losers team should have a star. Okay, and how do you decide fairly who will get the star? You can’t. All of what is written about people camping and farming to save a star is true. I’ve seen sunicums doing that in thunderers. How is this fair to the ones who try to cap, kill, tank, etc.? It is not. Star saving is an unfair system and it doesn’t matter how much WG tries to tweak the mechanics points. A team either wins or loses. Not in random mode but at least in ranked mode if it’s supposed to be a team game, then either the whole team should get a star or none. Current system is logically flawed in the first place and is discouraging the team play. It basically says “you have dead eye, work on your aim, sit back, no risk, shoot every 30 sec, while you read your newspaper, you’ll get your star, don’t worry.”

[GW_KR]
Players
365 posts
15,472 battles

I never go for saving a star from the start. You dont get anywhere then!?? So its just counter productive to aim for it directly. 
However in many matches I have been happy with it. Working your butt off to save the day despite your team its nice to at least save a star after loosing with your xp equal to the following 3 team mates...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
5 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Really, why does WG not remove the star saving?

Because star saving makes progression easier, because it keeps adding stars into the system. Without star saving, you would need so much longer to rank out.

Maybe giving the top XP earner 2 stars would be better and kinda achieves the same thing without the downsides attached to it. Problem is, that actually doesnt work, because rewards are handed out for wins, so a faster progression would mean you cant get the necessary wins to get all rewards :Smile_teethhappy: Or they would need to give out all rewards when reaching R1 even if the win conditions arent met.

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles
25 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

I never go for saving a star from the start. You dont get anywhere then!?? So its just counter productive to aim for it directly. 
However in many matches I have been happy with it. Working your butt off to save the day despite your team its nice to at least save a star after loosing with your xp equal to the following 3 team mates...

This is how the system should work.

I believe most people are of the opinion that this is not how the system actually works, in terms of what kind of gameplay it rewards.

Unless this is all just a huge real life test of prisoner's dilemma. In that case, the system works as intended.

• Cool 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Because star saving makes progression easier, because it keeps adding stars into the system. Without star saving, you would need so much longer to rank out.

Makes sense but they couldn’t create a fair star saving system until now and they won’t be able to in the future because it encourages people for solo play instead of team play.

1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Maybe giving the top XP earner 2 stars would be better and kinda achieves the same thing without the downsides attached to it. Problem is, that actually doesnt work, because rewards are handed out for wins, so a faster progression would mean you cant get the necessary wins to get all rewards :Smile_teethhappy: Or they would need to give out all rewards when reaching R1 even if the win conditions arent met.

There will be more camping to get the top place in losers team for two stars. The problem is, as long as the system encourages solo play instead of team play, people will just say I don’t care if the dd died or cruiser dies, I will play to save my star. And these people think they are skilled by doing so but in reality all they are doing is selfishly abusing the star saving mechanics which is totally unfair. I used to think, well I work so hard, kill multiple ships why shouldn’t I get the star... Well I shouldn’t if it is a team game. At least in ranked (other than CB ofc)  people should be encouraged to play as a team and to work for the win. It should be all for one and one for all.

Players
105 posts
167 battles
6 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

people for solo play 

Playing well solo with the win in mind is infinetly better than trying to do team play with random people of differing mindsets

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles
4 minutes ago, Asashio_Kai_Nii said:

Playing well solo with the win in mind is infinetly better than trying to do team play with random people of differing mindsets

Should be the case for random mode not ranked. Because If that would be the case for also ranked, then what makes it different than random other than the number of players and rewards and if it doesn’t make it any different than random, why do we have it (ranked) and what does it rank?

Players
105 posts
167 battles
Just now, Execute0rder66 said:

Should be the case for random mode not ranked. If that would be the case for also ranked, then what makes it different than random other than the number of players and rewards and if it doesn’t make it any different than random, why do we have it (ranked) and what does it rank?

ranked is simply ranked with randoms.There is nothing more to it. All additional values are ascribed by you and therefore not important. 

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles
1 minute ago, Asashio_Kai_Nii said:

ranked is simply ranked with randoms.There is nothing more to it.

Exactly.Then, why is it called rank? What does it measure, obviously not skill.

2 minutes ago, Asashio_Kai_Nii said:

All additional values are ascribed by you and therefore not important. 

I didn't ascribe any additional value. In opposite if you try to understand what i wrote, it describes the current rank system moot.

Players
594 posts
5,053 battles
5 minutes ago, Asashio_Kai_Nii said:

ranked is simply ranked with randoms.There is nothing more to it. All additional values are ascribed by you and therefore not important. 

Out of sick interest, did you register that account solely for Asashio clubbing?