Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
webaake

Nurnberg, Dallas, New Orleans or Schcors ?

32 comments in this topic

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
4,997 battles

Some choices coming up and it ain't easy! :) I like the squishy Konigsberg but also the Russian cruisers, as well as the Pensacola and Marblehead. Concerning Dallas and New Orleans they lead to different lines, which is a concern. And New Orleans needs some seriuos grinding before I can research and buy it. But it can be worth waiting for, I guess.

In spite of the current Meta I'm not into BB's - I have enough of them. So what to do? Nurnberg, Dallas; New Orleans or Shchors? 

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

Look at the end of the line and decide.

Or do it like I did and progress several lines simultaneously.

• Cool 1

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
4,997 battles

progress several lines simultaneously

Ohh, that will take a long time, but eventually I'll get there. But in reality that is what I'm doing, but since it takes such a long time to get all the ships you want, you have to try to make the most fun choices at the beginning. And smart if possible.  :) 

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,412 posts
14,554 battles

I liked Nürnberg, but later German line is no longer very attractive.

Shchors is interesting but squishy and gives access to Rus balans cruisers.

I did not like Dallas, but Cleveland after that is good.

New Orleans is OK, but leads to good Balti and Des Moines.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles

Take the Shchors, wait for Narai week, load XP flags and burn everything down. You can whizz through levelling very quickly that way and then have access to Chapayev and Talliin, which should keep you busy for a while. I am told that the Tier X Soviets are quite good, too, so the destination may be worth the grind. 

• Cool 1

Players
847 posts
8,054 battles
27 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

I liked Nürnberg, but later German line is no longer very attractive.

Shchors is interesting but squishy and gives access to Rus balans cruisers.

I did not like Dallas, but Cleveland after that is good.

New Orleans is OK, but leads to good Balti and Des Moines.

Similar (but not same) experiences.

I liked Nürnberg, even if I lost a lot. She has an unconventional turret placement, take that into account.

Shchors is really hard-hitting, but yes. Very squishy. 

I liked Dallas and I seem to have been decent with her. New Orleans... meh. Not bad, not good.

My preference would be Shchors or Dallas, but hey, that's me.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
677 posts
26,856 battles

I would recommend the New Orleans, because it's a pretty underdog, but it helps you to learn a proper positioning on the maps. The american AP is just awesome, and it will just become better and better, up to T10. 

The other one is the Shchors, that a good ship to learn kiting. You will never tank something in this ship. But the guns are really good. Hard to master, but rewarding with a lot of fires 😂

• Cool 5

[CATCH]
Players
357 posts
8,906 battles

They are all rather squishy, frankly, but that will teach you how to save your skin. Among these, I would pick the New Orleans because I know that it ends in Des Moines, and Des Moines is pretty good.

Players
111 posts
4,781 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Bindolaf_Werebane sagte:

I liked Nürnberg, even if I lost a lot. She has an unconventional turret placement, take that into account.

Me too, exactly the same. It's a nice package: 6 km hydro, 360° turret rotation, decent amount, launch angles and range in torpedos.

I'm grinding several lines concurrently: German cruisers currently at T9, US cruisers both currently at T7 with going to T8 at next Narai week and maybe I'm done with the Budjonny too to put the Schtorschs too through the scenario when it's there.

Regards, Nightowl

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
921 posts
20,263 battles

New Orleans for me.

Good agility, good turret placement, good AA, great AP shells, leads to the very strong Baltimore.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
3 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Take the Shchors, wait for Narai week, load XP flags and burn everything down.

Why not just citadel everything to crap? :Smile_trollface:

image.thumb.png.05130a2ab3f4d40710bb0efa5af9f169.png

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles
20 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

That works too! I hated Shchors with a passion for years until I discovered just how good it is at Narai. 

[SHAD]
Players
3,795 posts
15,178 battles

Go Russian

Buddy is a great cruiser,

Schors has great dpm and fire starting at tier but is very squishy.

Then at tier 8 you can unlock both the Tallin and the Chappy.

The end result is Nevsky and Petro, two very strong ships.

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,313 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, DFens_666 sagte:

image.thumb.png.05130a2ab3f4d40710bb0efa5af9f169.png

I was about to write the same thing but my screenshot would not have been as impressive as yours.

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
4,997 battles

Thx guys!! That's a lot to think about, but pleasant brain work ahead! For some reason I'm saving up on flags(?) I think I'll try and use them up instead and get some XP.

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
4,997 battles

Went for the New Orleans. I'm short on free XP, so the upgraded Hull is expensive but sorely needed. It gives so much more HP.

Next for me will probably be Nurnberg or Shchors. I will get them both eventually.

On a side note: How on earth do you have time to grind ALL nations tech tree lines? I only have Russian, USN and German lines in focus for grinding. Except the Italian line, which was given to me by WG, I only have one Japanese ship and two European ships. I have empty slots but these 26 ships I have takes almost all day long to grind the bonuses. And then some Clan Naval Battles. If you grind ALL the lines it would take 24 hours a day to play them all once each !!!???  :cap_fainting:

Players
10,383 posts
12,044 battles
2 minutes ago, webaake said:

Went for the New Orleans. I'm short on free XP, so the upgraded Hull is expensive but sorely needed. It gives so much more HP.

Next for me will probably be Nurnberg or Shchors. I will get them both eventually.

On a side note: How on earth do you have time to grind ALL nations tech tree lines? I only have Russian, USN and German lines in focus for grinding. Except the Italian line, which was given to me by WG, I only have one Japanese ship and two European ships. I have empty slots but these 26 ships I have takes almost all day long to grind the bonuses. And then some Clan Naval Battles. If you grind ALL the lines it would take 24 hours a day to play them all once each !!!???  :cap_fainting:

This is part where "long term player" come into the picture, with years of active play under their belt?

Alternatively unemployed, on holidays or otherwise with tad too much time WG is willing to take off your hand, preferably with your wallet?

And "grind" is somewhat wrong approach. If you don't like the ships, odds are, next ones aren't going to suit you much and sure as hell the higher tier you go, the more unforgiving game becomes, which induces passive play from most players. So even if ship in question, like Des Moines can be mighty fun and a beauty as well, environment she will be put on can and will be outright frustrating at times.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,321 posts
23,343 battles
51 minutes ago, webaake said:

On a side note: How on earth do you have time to grind ALL nations tech tree lines?

When I started playing this game there where only IJN and US lines and Ru DDs and German cruisers were introduced. I had nothing else to grind when new lines came out. You can get a lot of T10 ships in 6 years time.

[KKDR]
Players
41 posts
4,997 battles

Well, I hope WG can keep my interest up for 6 years !!! :) :)  One good thing is that there's always something new to learn about the game and ingame too. 

The list of ships is so long and they all have their own styles of playing. I've found that ships are as good as you've learnt them each. You know their strengths and weaknesses. But there is a subjective aspect too. As Panocek points out; if you don't like the ship it won't play well with you on the rudder. 

I might, just might, start grinding the UK line because of the legendary ships. Maybe if there's a rainy summer? :) 

Players
10,383 posts
12,044 battles
17 minutes ago, webaake said:

Well, I hope WG can keep my interest up for 6 years !!!

I'd hazard saying golden years for this game are already in the past, as WG/Lesta studio switched from "developing fun game" to "monetizing it hard".

26 minutes ago, webaake said:

I might, just might, start grinding the UK line because of the legendary ships. Maybe if there's a rainy summer? :) 

Legendary IRL doesn't necessary translate to in game performance.

[THESO]
Players
1,590 posts
18,662 battles
1 hour ago, webaake said:

Well, I hope WG can keep my interest up for 6 years !!! :) :)  One good thing is that there's always something new to learn about the game and ingame too. 

The list of ships is so long and they all have their own styles of playing. I've found that ships are as good as you've learnt them each. You know their strengths and weaknesses. But there is a subjective aspect too. As Panocek points out; if you don't like the ship it won't play well with you on the rudder. 

You are impatient. You want the higher tier ships in way shorter time than is healthy. Whatever is waiting up there is not worth the haste. As was correctly noted by @Panocek, the higher tiers become increasingly challenging. You will get nice and shiny tools, but your opponents get the same tools and use them better. They will kill you in 4 out of 5 games and you will only just scratch them, maybe kill 1 in 5 games. Is that satisfying? I don't think so.

Take it way slower. Allow your brain and reflexes to adapt to the increasing difficulty or you will just be everybodys punching bag.

Ship-line-wise I would go for the New Orleans as a long term goal. It leads to the USN radar cruisers, which, if played right, have a lot of impact on a battle. Also there are containers in the armory for the 2nd (?) anniversary collection. They give you a perma camo for the New Orleans, among others.

Players
621 posts
4,990 battles

I play Nurnberg and Dallas in Operations only, and with the right commander spec, they are enjoyable. The Nurnberg has been a favourite for a long time, with its 360 degree rotating rear turrets - they give you opportunities that aren't available to other cruisers ( except Konigsberg, which also has them ). Dallas has been very good in Operations, and has speeded me to my first 21pt commander. Schors is on the grind-to list, I think. Don't play New Orleans much, so I can't offer an opinion.  So, for what it's worth, either Nurnberg or Dallas for Operations.

Players
1,137 posts
On 4/6/2021 at 7:02 PM, webaake said:

Some choices coming up and it ain't easy! :) I like the squishy Konigsberg but also the Russian cruisers, as well as the Pensacola and Marblehead. Concerning Dallas and New Orleans they lead to different lines, which is a concern. And New Orleans needs some seriuos grinding before I can research and buy it. But it can be worth waiting for, I guess.

In spite of the current Meta I'm not into BB's - I have enough of them. So what to do? Nurnberg, Dallas; New Orleans or Shchors? 

Schors is a solid choice, as it is a pretty decent tier 7 along with new orleans, and both ships lead to great tier tens. Dallas to worcester is a HE spam line, and shells that take a trip across the whole solar system before landing on the target, so if you like island kemping and team play, go for it. Dallas as a ship is pretty damn solid. Nurmberg was once my favourite cruiser. And its very comfortable to play, providing you know how to play floating citadels. As for the grind, it leads to Yorck which is very good imo, Hipper, which is a shittier version of Eugen and not worth playing unless your a history nerd. Roon is okish, while Hindenburg is very good and quite a solid ship in competitive. So if you want to go for grinds, I would suggest grinding the russians and american heavy cruisers first as you seem to be a tier higher in progress, and they lead to great ships. Then go for the Germans, as it is a pretty good line minus the Hipper. And finally the American CL since the line apart from a few ships in it aren't great, since they have been kinda overshadowed. The only ships that are good in that line are Dallas, Cleveland and Worcester. As for individual ships, New orleans is the best of all of them, then Nurmberg, then Schors, then Dallas

Players
1,137 posts
On 4/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, Northern_Nightowl said:

Me too, exactly the same. It's a nice package: 6 km hydro, 360° turret rotation, decent amount, launch angles and range in torpedos.

I'm grinding several lines concurrently: German cruisers currently at T9, US cruisers both currently at T7 with going to T8 at next Narai week and maybe I'm done with the Budjonny too to put the Schtorschs too through the scenario when it's there.

Regards, Nightowl

Nurmberg is just the perfect CL for me if it had radar, but Its fine without it. 360 turrets, with an kiting style turret placement, 38mm HE pin, high alpha AP,  good ballistics, decent firing range, torps, German hydro. Its the CL for me, and its surprising how it survives the current meta.