Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZeuSueZ1337

Threats in post-game chat. More specifically (potential) death threats. What to do – if anything?

19 comments in this topic

[RDNT]
Players
145 posts

*disclaimer* not sure I posted this the correct place.

This is as much a post to the community to the whole of WG.

Threats – not just banter – how is that to be handled? And is what I experienced something I/we should considered a threat? Or just waaaay over the line an extremely rude behaviour?

In an era of online gaming harassing, bullying and such is part of the game for better or worse in the in-game chat functionality. But to my knowledge there is quite the difference between:

- firstly “banter”

- secondly bullying/harassing and

- thirdly – and finally – threats.

I don’t feel I’m an unfair player I’ve cleaned up my act of trashing other players in chat when they play poorly simply by reporting them (plays poorly etc.) but instead focusing on the teammates who have good manners, play well etc. Keeping it positive.

Entering this dude in a DD. On the new beginning of a ranked, got silver in first stint but really only been grinding for the steel. Still, I try my hardest when playing because for the majority of the player pool it’s the most competitive environment you’ll find when not clanwars etc. For context my current ranked wr rate is ~54% random sits just below 50%. So, your average but enthusiastic casual player.

Then a ranked battle occurs. Our aforementioned Halland DD goes wide in the battles opening and gets disposed by either a DD or cruiser in a straight up fight. We could have supported him more but weren’t able to. On the other hand, nothing which we haven’t all experienced in ranked. But we win, so that should have been the end of that as far as I'm concerned – and this is when this for me becomes interesting.

He then completely goes of the rails once I get back to port there is a in game chat message saying – and I quote:

“THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT U SPINELESS [edited]”

At this time, I’m just replying casually that I find that rude – and then it escalates (see screen dumps) I can provide replay if-need-be but then he’s not that anonyms any longer.

Spoiler

698573335_Postgamescreenwo.names.thumb.png.e1543271f0ed0a2b0ee77176a7baad32.png

1715657780_Threat(full)wo.names.thumb.png.9bc38298f8accb09ab1693b490492062.png

So, my question: is this something WG wants reported (by official channels) as a threat? What does the community have of inputs? It’s a clan that’s fairly high rated according to wows-numbers.com

To be clear; I’m not out to sanction the player – that’s something WG should handle at their discretion. But over 2½ years of sailing this by far the most offended and in doubt I’ve been regarding how to handle these interactions. Oh and after this he continued the profanity.

Thanks in advance for your input.

To the person in question: if you read this I’ve logged and screen dumped all communication and will continue to do so.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[LEEUW]
Players
3,161 posts
10,750 battles

Send it to one of the community managers, Crysantos or Conway, in pm's. They handle such things. 

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

Players
826 posts
2,312 battles

Notify the Police.

Seriously, there is this thing called 'swatting' where Call of Duty players have been calling in fake kidnapping and getting a SWAT response to someone's address.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,153 posts
22,966 battles

Please create a customer support ticket. There's an extra set of options for in-port threats and harassment, so you shouldn't get the standard "just use the report option in the game" answer. Here's the link.

PS: Then you can escalate to a Community Manager. It will make their actions much easier with the ticket at hand.

PPS: Unless he starts providing you actionable evidence (your personally identifiable information like real name, address etc.), do not bother with the police. Reports against unknown people for small issues are rarely followed up on.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[RDNT]
Players
145 posts

Alright. Ill create a ticket and then let it runs its course.

Just to clarify; I'm not worried the guy making the threat is actually gonna carry them out (potential famous last words) but for my part a threshold was thoroughly crossed when it turned into threats rather than just bullying/harassments.

• Bad 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,736 posts
11,834 battles
1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

bla bla bla

Why did you answer? You knew the other person doesn't want anything but looking for confrontation.

Why do you feel that you have to explain yourself?

Just ban and ignore.

Jeez. Some people are little snowflakes. Are you new on the internet?

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 1

Players
7,312 posts
11,668 battles
30 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

I'm not worried the guy making the threat is actually gonna carry them out

How could he? Unless for some reason you are sending him your adress and other personal information.

I mean overall... just dont take it serious. Reminds me, that I still have to attend a 1x1 manly, bare-knuckle fight in some polish village, to which I got challenged once. But my opponent couldnt decide, if we shall meet right side or left side of the potato-field so I didnt knew where to go :Smile_teethhappy:

But yea, people overreact when they are angry + its the internet. Easy to feel like a tough guy when you can just type anything you want. And that also says a lot about the seriousness of those threats. If he gets a chat ban for 2 weeks, thats enough.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,141 battles

@ZeuSueZ1337 Threats of that nature are crossing the line of acceptable behaviour, so thanks for not overlooking it. Do follow the very good advice from @GarrusBrutus and @Aragathor, don't listen to the people who tell you to laugh it off or that you're somehow being a snowflake - this sort of behaviour needs to be called out wherever it's found, the next time it may well be directed at someone more vulnerable. 

• Cool 8
  • Bad 1

[RDNT]
Players
145 posts
8 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Why did you answer? You knew the other person doesn't want anything but looking for confrontation.

Just ban and ignore.

Again banter/bullying/thrash talking/harassing's/etc. is to some extend "one thing"

Threats however is - imho - something completely different and my sole purpose for this topic was simply guidance for how, and if, to escalate it.

But I wanna thank you just now, for that very thoughtful reply.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,153 posts
22,966 battles
13 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Just ban and ignore.

The problem with such approach, is that the bully gets away scot-free and can harass and bully others. History should have taught us that bullies should be stopped, both on the small scale and large scale.

But of course it's easier to ignore the problem, until the problem punches your teeth out.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,172 posts
Vor 47 Minuten, ForlornSailor sagte:

How could he?

:Smile_glasses:

We got fresh laws for internet threats and hate speech a few days ago.

So yes, local authorities might indeed do something about it, depending where "local" is and who the ISP is.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,415 posts
14,554 battles

Agree with earlier posters. Create a ticket on the website. This is one thing WG does take seriously, so this kind of crap gets acted on. 

Mind you, you will get a rather woolly general reply, but it gets logged and acted on.

If you want a more direct response, tag one of the WG employee community managers here on this forum.

Good luck!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,403 posts
7,160 battles

Please report this to customer support. Don't send a PM to one of the community managers before creating a ticket. Especially during holidays or at the weekend a ticket is a lot faster.

If you think the reaction from customer support was wrong, go on and send a PM to one of the community managers.

Of course you can also report threats like this to your local authorities if you think it is justified but I wouldn't expect them to do much about it.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
48 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

How could he? Unless for some reason you are sending him your adress and other personal information.

Not that I am saying its overly easy BUT finding out some ones address is not necessarily impossible depending on how his connection is set up at his side, however kids that might want to engage in that kind of shenanigans might also consider if its wise to go looking for a random guy they know nothing about... :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
48 minutes ago, floribe2000 said:

Please report this to customer support. Don't send a PM to one of the community managers before creating a ticket. Especially during holidays or at the weekend a ticket is a lot faster.

If you think the reaction from customer support was wrong, go on and send a PM to one of the community managers.

Of course you can also report threats like this to your local authorities if you think it is justified but I wouldn't expect them to do much about it.

perhaps you could do your work ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[RDNT]
Players
145 posts

Overwhelmingly useful feedback - thank you.

@floribe2000; I'll create a ticket for this later this evening --- speed is way less relevant for me than a fair and reasonable reactions to this kind of behavior. 

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
1 hour ago, Humorpalanta said:

Just ban and ignore.

i am always answering ... the things that you can get ... best was dude claiming that he is "paying customer" and wg listens to him ... amazing 

• Funny 4

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
2 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

Threats – not just banter – how is that to be handled?

Who really takes death threats seriously in a video game? Click blacklist, use the tools provided.

2 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

In an era of online gaming harassing, bullying and such

Online bullying? :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,403 posts
7,160 battles
Vor 32 Minuten, hellhound666 sagte:

perhaps you could do your work ...

And what exactly should I do here? Moderators cannot do anything about ingame violations, we only moderate the forum.

Yes, we may be able to forward it to WG but in the end it's just an additional step before it reaches customer support who deals with this issue. And especially during holidays and at weekends a ticket to customer support is most likely faster than if we forward it.

Now that the question has been answered I think it's time to close this thread.

• Cool 3