You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PocokSara

USN CV line

21 comments in this topic

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles

Hello Captains!

Possibly there have been many topics about CVs already. This is only my perception, since I started to play CVs again. For me the USN CV line looks a bit messed up. The most disturbing feature, at least for me, is that the most numerous CV-class (Essex) in naval history is not included in the game. I think Langley is ok at T4, however I would place the Lexington-class at T6, while the Yorktown-class would be my vote for T8, and the Essex-class would be the top of the tree.

I would be curious about your opinions captains. :-)

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,134 posts
15,552 battles

Essex was there at tier 9 but got yeeted with the rework, as you may already know(not sure when you joined).

I'm sure it will eventually return in an alternate line as an 8 or 10, question is when.  

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,652 posts
19,101 battles

Essex used to be the Tier IX in the days of RTS CVs.

Langley/Bogue/Independence/Ranger/Lexington/Essex/Midway (Tiers IV - X). 

It went missing after the rework and has never been seen again.

I suppose you could get a second USN line out of the remaining carriers:

Bogue / Wasp / Saratoga or Hornet / Essex

I'd be quite interested in this, especially if they could make the ships main planes the historically *right* ones rather than the current loadouts... but I think WG will be reluctant to increase the number of carriers in the game, and they have no real idea how to make a Premium CV fun without being overpowered - if they did you can bet they'd have introduced Yorktown by now, as that would be an insta-purchase for many. 

• Cool 1

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles

I think the real problem is the 4-6-8-10 system. If you take a T8 CV, it could be horrendously OP when top tier, while  wholly inadequate when MM puts it mostly among T10 ships. These days I usually play Midway and rarely lower tier CVs.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
532 posts
59 minutes ago, PocokSara said:

I think the real problem is the 4-6-8-10 system. If you take a T8 CV, it could be horrendously OP when top tier, while  wholly inadequate when MM puts it mostly among T10 ships. These days I usually play Midway and rarely lower tier CVs.

Yes, as the MM is +2/-2 there is no reason to not have the odd tiers CVs since they will be present on odd tier matches, even if we assume a CV can work being downtierd on a match the spread is such that its always possible to have CV on any Tier IV-X matches making the whole removal utterly pointless outside making live easier/harder to some.

Also most Tier X ships come with no further upgrades as Tier X CVs (except FDR) have to research their Tier X planes thats utterly unfair.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,652 posts
19,101 battles
1 hour ago, PocokSara said:

A Tier VII CV would be an interesting experiment, though. Just to see what effect it might have on the MM.

• Bad 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,300 posts
30,552 battles
59 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

A Tier VII CV would be an interesting experiment, though. Just to see what effect it might have on the MM.

If it can be at T7, than depending on balancing it could easily be placed either t T6 or T8. There is absolutely no need for odd tier CV now. I wouldn't mind if WG remove even CVs too.

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles
36 minutes ago, fumtu said:

If it can be at T7, than depending on balancing it could easily be placed either t T6 or T8. There is absolutely no need for odd tier CV now. I wouldn't mind if WG remove even CVs too.

CVs will remain for sure. :cap_cool:

• Bad 2

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles

Coming back to lower tier CVs, I think probably it is the Enterprise that uptiers the best. I would even say that she is the best CV tier for tier in the game, even after the AP bomb nerf.

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,300 posts
30,552 battles
20 minutes ago, PocokSara said:

CVs will remain for sure. :cap_cool:

Unfortunately

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,652 posts
19,101 battles
4 hours ago, fumtu said:

It's about the planes, you see. I would like a post-Battle of Midway USN Carrier whose main aircraft were the Hellcat, Dauntless and Avenger. That's a v.powerful air group for Tier VI, but it's stock Lexington for Tier VIII and a bit underpowered. They could do Wasp or Independence at Tier VI with a small number of planes, in the style of Saipan,  but it's probably more of a Tier VII loadout, Hornet or Saratoga.

Players
4,381 posts
5,713 battles
5 hours ago, fumtu said:

Unfortunately

Hey, these babies around need something to play with, right? You can't expect from them to develop some skill to play something and use brain.

• Cool 1

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles
11 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Hey, these babies around need something to play with, right? You can't expect from them to develop some skill to play something and use brain.

Well, I do not think you can play any ship class without brain, and get rewarded.

Players
4,381 posts
5,713 battles
2 hours ago, PocokSara said:

Well, I do not think you can play any ship class without brain, and get rewarded.

Yes you can. its called cv class.

• Cool 1

Players
1,072 posts

Interesting how this discussion, with its not-openly-critical-of-CVs initial topic, has not been closed yet by the moderators with a suggestion to take it up in the General CV related disregarding thread.

In response to OP: unfortunately WoWs has not prioritised historical accuracy for quite some time (if ever), and the tier boundaries are rather contrived and artificial, so there are a lot of oddities and anachronisms that have crept in over time. Given that tier balance is an artificial creation of the dev team, presumably it would be possible to make ships of the same era equivalent to one another; unfortunately there's less and less continuity as time goes on and more lines are added, to say nothing of the issues of a premium ship being put at a tier that later additions might suggest is incorrect (given that premiums will almost never be directly altered unless it's an unequivocal buff, for fear of all the refund requests that would ensue). This is especially relevant with carriers as they've not yet been able to introduce the odd-numbered tiers to carrier lines, some two-odd years after the reeeework, and so there's even less space in carrier lines for additions or alterations.

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles

Essex coming soon as a premium ship for the low low price of £140. Place your bets now.

[PSA]
Players
17 posts
5,168 battles
8 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Yes you can. its called cv class.

Nice to have such a definitive opinion without playing a single battle with the given class.

Players
290 posts
4,272 battles
17 minutes ago, PocokSara said:

Nice to have such a definitive opinion without playing a single battle with the given class.

You must be new here. He's always been this way. 

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,769 posts
8 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

Essex coming soon as a premium ship for the low low price of £140. Place your bets now.

Nope, I dont think WG knows what to do with the Essex themselves, I reckon they originally intended to make an alternate line or bring back the odd tiered CVs but since the entire rework basically failed in all aspects including the most important one for the WG - popularity, they are now kind of lost...

Players
4,381 posts
5,713 battles
11 hours ago, PocokSara said:

Well I dont have to taste S** to know its S**, right? Seeing on your own eyes gameplay of others is enough. Especially when you see potato with 200 PR and 40% WR playing this class with 60+%.

But you are free to defend this brainless class as much as you like. You might sell your opinion to someone who is not here for long time.

Players
3,575 posts
On 4/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, PocokSara said:

Coming back to lower tier CVs, I think probably it is the Enterprise that uptiers the best. I would even say that she is the best CV tier for tier in the game, even after the AP bomb nerf.

I second that, Lexington struggles as opposed to the Big E, and the midway, I just cannot get on with that thing, it could easily be a tier 8 for me, same as the Audacious.

I suck in all CV's so only take them in co op