Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
affondalaflotta

Italians all look alike?

12 comments in this topic

Players
27 posts
2,723 battles

I am aware this is not the most pressing question around, but do anyone noticed at least three ( Faravelli Lagorio and Andreotti) italian Captains are obviously sporting  the same  (gaunt-ish) features? Is it normal? I haven't checked  the others nationalities yet,  but the same do not seems to be true to me. 

Is there some profound meaning that beats me soundly? 

[XITAX]
Players
107 posts
7,223 battles
20 minuti fa, affondalaflotta ha scritto:

I am aware this is not the most pressing question around, but do anyone noticed at least three ( Faravelli Lagorio and Andreotti) italian Captains are obviously sporting  the same  (gaunt-ish) features? Is it normal? I haven't checked  the others nationalities yet,  but the same do not seems to be true to me. 

Uhm, as far as i know Andreotti should have a hump. 

edit: this is a reference to a (in?)famous italian politician

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Players
871 posts
20,183 battles
10 minutes ago, affondalaflotta said:

at least three ( Faravelli Lagorio and Andreotti) italian Captains are obviously sporting  the same  (gaunt-ish) features

Names and faces and independent of each other, and you can toggle them separately when you recruit a new captain.

Having said that, yes, they kind of look all alike, same with the French really: the major difference is moustache or no-moustache.

One minor complaint I have is that, as far as I remember, all USN captains have British-sounding last names.

I'm sure it's based on history, but it seems limiting for the "melting pot": perhaps they could add, say, 1 Swedish, 1 German, 1 Irish, 1 French-sounding last name, or something like that...

Players
27 posts
2,723 battles

3 minuti fa, Spruss ha scritto:

Uhm, as far as i know Andreotti should have a hump. 

this means you have a very good memory!

well, unless you are italian as well, you must know Andreotti is a very common family name, so might not be a relative...:Smile_veryhappy:

Players
27 posts
2,723 battles
5 minuti fa, tocqueville8 ha scritto:

One minor complaint I have is that, as far as I remember, all USN captains have British-sounding last names.

I'm sure it's based on history, but it seems limiting for the "melting pot": perhaps they could add, say, 1 Swedish, 1 German, 1 Irish, 1 French-sounding last name, or something like that...

Hmm. They should be actually pretty High society to get a ship commission, even in the US Navy... so they should have mostly waspish Names. But yes, some French (classy!) Family name should be in order, and maybe some Dutch one (Melville's relatives were very high specs and seabound, I recollect)

[VIBES]
Players
871 posts
20,183 battles
12 minutes ago, affondalaflotta said:

They should be actually pretty High society to get a ship commission, even in the US Navy

Yeah I don't expect a lot of Italian or Irish-Americans to have been in the top jobs at the Navy, but maybe some lower commission.

I skimmed over a list of USN WW2 admirals, and there are a few non-British sounding ones, like Kessing, DuBose, Snyder, Struble, Callaghan, etc.

Players
27 posts
2,723 battles
10 minuti fa, tocqueville8 ha scritto:

I skimmed over a list of USN WW2 admirals, and there are a few non-British sounding ones, like Kessing, DuBose, Snyder, Struble, Callaghan, etc.

This is more interesting than I'd expect!  Looks like my bets were not too off centre, too.

Du bose - probably misspelled french

Snyder - obviously Dutch

Kessing - Sounds german, but could also be Dutch

Callaghan it's obviously irish but i googled it a bit (can do that too! :Smile_veryhappy:) and it's apparently an upper class Irish name, should  that br a possibility.

Edited by affondalaflotta
english grammar

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
27,021 battles
4 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

No black captains for US?! Racism. 

[TBU]
Players
130 posts

And no female captains other than Russians and Guinea piglets. Feels wrong to press F10 and hear a deep male voice all the time. Maybe I should do this to my answering machine.

Players
27 posts
2,723 battles
Citazione

And no female captains

Now, I understand a Mädchen, albeit a piratical one, may like  some company,  but I think that politically correctness is one thing, and History another. 

But on second thought, I'd like to hear a sexy, husky, melodious feminine voice coming from SMS Derfflinger (the Iron Dog) , or USS Missouri (the Mighty Mo). 

there are  "Lady Lex"  and "Nellie" (HMS Nelson) which might work, though. 

thanks for the humorous insights!

[H_FAN]
Players
2,811 posts
47,350 battles
6 hours ago, affondalaflotta said:

Hmm. They should be actually pretty High society to get a ship commission, even in the US Navy... so they should have mostly waspish Names. But yes, some French (classy!) Family name should be in order, and maybe some Dutch one (Melville's relatives were very high specs and seabound, I recollect)

I have not checked it out but I guess Swedish names like Johnson, Anderson f.e. (1 s less in the US version) might be found more in the army?. Due to that Swedish military prowess were more on the land historically.  

And also the fact that over 1 M emigrated from Sweden is a relative decent amount but the majority of these were poor and therefor not likely in the early generations of High ranking officers thought there are probably lots in lower ranks as after a few generation they would settle in as anyone. Also that they more emigrated to inland states, Minnesota f.e. so army is probably more likely for them for that reason too.

We Swedes know 2nd man on the moon Buzz Aldrin had Swedish background further back in his family tree so it is not always obvious what is a Swedish name. 

[RODS]
Players
1,812 posts
7,821 battles
7 hours ago, affondalaflotta said:

Maybe they are triplets ?

Sign in to follow this