You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fat_Maniac

Winter is coming WG

33 comments in this topic

Players
238 posts
12,326 battles
1 minute ago, Fat_Maniac said:

So what we all knew has been conclusively verified, Loot boxes directly link to compulsive gambling.

I don't think it will be long before they are regulated, at least here in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56614281

You say this like WG didn't already know.

They're bleeding the gambling for as long as they are legally able.

I blame the players just as much as WG though. They don't force you to buy them at gunpoint. Personal responsibility is also a thing.

• Cool 17

Players
2,299 posts
20,563 battles

Im not in the slightest bit surprised by the results, but I don’t hold out much expectation of regulation here in the UK. I have attended a few parliamentary committees and lots of talk and good intentions will come out but no legislation. 

Still it amazes me people persist in buying WGs loot boxes. 

• Cool 11

[PGT2P]
Players
133 posts
8,584 battles
1 minute ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

I blame the players just as much as WG though. They don't force you to buy them at gunpoint. Personal responsibility is also a thing.

If you call it what it is and submit to relevant regulation then you can say everyone should be personally responsible... after all, most of us live in societies where people under 18, perhaps 16, aren't generally held to be responsible for much - so why would we expect the WG "minors" to have any "personal responsibility"?.  Anyhow, if WG games become regulated as a gambling sites then that's a game changer for them (pardon the pun) - it would exclude minors and perhaps make some "responsible adults" have second thoughts about some of their impulsive behaviour...

Anyhow, won't happen, nothing will change, least of all in the UK:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
238 posts
12,326 battles
1 minute ago, Birkebein said:

everyone should be personally responsible

In 2020? Too many adults behave like children. They never grew up and need their government to be their parents. 

• Cool 5

Players
3,901 posts
21,075 battles

"Our research therefore demonstrates that games developers, unwittingly or not, appear to be generating outsized loot box profits from at-risk individuals (these are likely to include both people with gambling problems or problematic patterns of video gaming) - but not from wealthy gamers," it concluded.

I've always hated WG's business choice - and it's not becasue they can't make money in different ways, they delibetrately moved their shooters into the gambling realm. They probably tell themselves whales are players with infinte amounts of cash to spend so 'no harm done'. Reality seems they bleed people that can't really afford to have these kinds of problematic addictions, and fkng kids. It's rated 7+. I detest their scumbaggery.

• Cool 9

Players
238 posts
12,326 battles
1 minute ago, Europizza said:

It's rated 7+. I detest their scumbaggery.

And what about the lazy parents who don't check what their 7-16 year olds play and spend money on?

Players
3,901 posts
21,075 battles

And what about the lazy parents who don't check what their 7-16 year olds play and spend money on?

Those parents are misled by a 7+ rating my friend.

• Cool 3

Players
238 posts
12,326 battles

They just look at the age rating and that's it?

Jesus, parents are truly failing.

I guess bad parents are the answer to a lot of problems.

• Boring 1

Players
1,851 posts
9,408 battles
33 minuti fa, Fat_Maniac ha scritto:

I don't think it will be long before they are regulated, at least here in the UK.

what about other parts of EU?

Players
3,901 posts
21,075 battles

They just look at the age rating and that's it?

Jesus, parents are truly failing.

I guess bad parents are the answer to a lot of problems.

What are you genericly blaming parents for. They are not the people carrying a scumbag rating on their gambling infested BS.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,659 posts
18,027 battles
1 minute ago, arquata2019 said:

They have been regulated as gambling in Belgium for a few years already

• Cool 3

Players
238 posts
12,326 battles
2 minutes ago, Europizza said:

What are you genericly blaming parents for. They are not the people carrying a scumbag rating on their gambling infested BS.

They are the people that are SUPPOSED to be the adult and carer for the child. Check the product, make sure it is what it claims to be. You know, parenting.

Edit: This thread is making me happy my parents weren't as lazy as modern parents. I can't imagine being neglected like kids now.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
3,901 posts
21,075 battles
2 minutes ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

They are the people that are SUPPOSED to be the adult and carer for the child. Check the product, make sure it is what it claims to be. You know, parenting.

Edit: This thread is making me happy my parents weren't as lazy as modern parents. I can't imagine being neglected like kids now.

Again, what are you generalizing and selfcongratulating for? This is not about you.

What you are indirectly suggesting here is that mislabeling and misrepresentation is not the problem, somehow 'lazy arse modern parents' are. What on earth do you want these parents you are blaming to go on if information is willfully misleading?

• Cool 5

Players
562 posts
5,020 battles
21 minutes ago, Europizza said:

"Our research therefore demonstrates that games developers, unwittingly or not, appear to be generating outsized loot box profits from at-risk individuals (these are likely to include both people with gambling problems or problematic patterns of video gaming) - but not from wealthy gamers," it concluded.

I've always hated WG's business choice - and it's not becasue they can't make money in different ways, they delibetrately moved their shooters into the gambling realm. They probably tell themselves whales are players with infinte amounts of cash to spend so 'no harm done'. Reality seems they bleed people that can't really afford to have these kinds of problematic addictions, and fkng kids. It's rated 7+. I detest their scumbaggery.

You give them too much credit. Making money off psychologically vulnerable people is their business model, and the business model of the f2p games sector in general. I'm pretty certain they are under no delusions as to who their customers are, and how predatory their marketing/sales campaigns are.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,766 posts
11 minutes ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

You know, parenting.

Dude seriously... :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3

Players
3,901 posts
21,075 battles
4 minutes ago, arttuperkunas said:

You give them too much credit. Making money off psychologically vulnerable people is their business model, and the business model of the f2p games sector in general. I'm pretty certain they are under no delusions as to who their customers are, and how predatory their marketing/sales campaigns are.

I'm pretty sure some are well aware, but most sociopaths need actual bed time stories to sleep at night. Otherwise they would be psychopaths. ^^

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,718 posts
11,786 battles
2 hours ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

In 2020? Too many adults behave like children. They never grew up and need their government to be their parents. 

Muhaha. You act like it is something new. It has always been like that. You should read books.

2 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

In some countries they are already regulated but in most of them - not really.

Also it is more often to come up iwthin the EU Parliament (before COVID - currently they are busy sorting out COVID, Brexit and the growing undemocratic demand) so sooner or later there will be laws regulating the Lootbox issue however as such things regarding IT: it is going to be reaaaaallllyyyy hard to find a perfect solution because there are different methods:

- Earned boxes

- Boxes bought with real money

- Boxes bought with crypto money

- Boxes bought with gamemoney that cannot be purchased only earned

- Boxes bought with gamemoney that can be purchased.

And these are just the basics. We could talk about the regulation of crypto money, ingame money, return of ingame money, return of money, game life cycles, game money markets, the right to own the bought pieces within a game and changes made on these items... Et cetera...

• Cool 1

[NANY]
Players
280 posts
3 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

In Belgium it's already a fact. Lootboxes are seen as gambling and so not allowed. 

In practice it means, you can't buy them. Even you see them on your screen, if you press to purchase, it gives an 'error screen'  :)

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
342 posts
9,776 battles
5 hours ago, lovelacebeer said:

Im not in the slightest bit surprised by the results, but I don’t hold out much expectation of regulation here in the UK. I have attended a few parliamentary committees and lots of talk and good intentions will come out but no legislation. 

Still it amazes me people persist in buying WGs loot boxes. 

Donate a few thousand to the Tory party, remind them Belarus is almost Russia, and the problem will go away for another 5 years.  

[NMA]
Players
128 posts
4,775 battles

What was it about the new EULA popping up when I launched a game? What else do we have to agree with this time? :p

[LEWD]
Players
393 posts
24,443 battles

"hey man I got a cheap car stereo going for some crates" 

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,176 posts
9,978 battles

Problem is.

I doubt WG will Change anything unless basicly Worldwide according Laws are done.

Otherwise the only thing that will happen is that WG will Remove the Lootboxes from the Respective Countries Store. Which will then Indirectly Serve to Punish Players of that Country as they cant get eventually necessary Event Tokens etc from such Boxes.

So unless you can Convince WG to actually Stop using Lootboxes alltogether. Legislation wont actually do anything.

Because as long as WG removes the Buyable Lootboxes. No Country will Outlaw the Game or Increase the Age Rating.

Meaning there is Virtually no Incentive for WG to not still rake in as much Money as Possible in other Countries which are not as Strict on Children becoming Gambling Addicts.

Players
3,575 posts

Just a thought, (I know, I know that is dangerous for me) would WG not make more if say once a month they had a sale of say three to five removed ships over 48 hour period, that way during the course of a year the would get through all the removed premiums, maybe?

Possibly making more money, rather than the lootbox's etc?

Players
3,502 posts
12,101 battles
6 hours ago, But_Can_You_Meme said:

The best comment I have heard for a while.

• Cool 3