Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ThePurpleSmurf

Can achievements / medals get some love?

28 comments in this topic

[TORAZ]
Players
320 posts
14,034 battles

WG cant even fix the existing achievements like *cough* dev strike bug *cough*:Smile_trollface:

Yours very naive optimistic if you think they will add new ones and rework existing ones

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
1,187 posts
13,523 battles

I like the ideas, but:

I think most of these are pretty bad- let me explain

All your base: pretty good actually

Defender: something like this should be based on def points, not ribbons

Hailstorm: most achievements should be available to every class & ship, while this one is impossible to get in something like a stalingrad for instance.

Close quarters is ofc limited, but hey.

Indestructible: decent idea, but we already have dreadnought, fireproof and unsinkable (is that still around?) For this

Restless wanderer: extra XP for running away as hard as you can? Please no, maybe in scenarios

Secured: you want even more salt for killsteals? The "autoreport" achievement youd mean

So close: meh, first introduce 8 kills, 8/9/10 kills as a div etc

Spearhead: 6x spotted aint much nowadays, 6 different is okay

Teamplayer: spotting dmg is more or less coincidental nowadays, so first rework spotting dmg awarding then

My view on these, still nice ideas

Players
2,169 posts
13,097 battles
3 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Hailstorm: most achievements should be available to every class & ship, while this one is impossible to get in something like a stalingrad for instance.

Close quarters is ofc limited, but hey.

This applies to a ton of achievements. Dreadnought, a lot of ships have no heal. Witherer, RN tech-tree cruisers anyone? AA Expert, every played low to mid tier? Close quarters, good luck if you are DD main. And so on and on. Not every medal must be possible with every every ship. This gives incentive to play different ships and tiers.

Restless wanderer, not so much running away and hiding, more like really active gunboat DDs and such. And 100 km is a lot, you don't get this with running away in a BB or cruiser.

Of course there is always much room for tweaks and improvements. It's just that the current achievements are for the most part untouched in years now and it gets kinda boring.

• Cool 3

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles

Funnily enough I remember asking Crysantos and Conway about new achievements back in March 2019 on the WOWS twitch stream (although I was asking about any new achievements for more than 5 kills). 

They said at the time that WG wasn’t thinking higher than kraken but there was always room for other gameplay style achievements, still seeing as that was 2 years ago now I think we can sadly put achievements under the Soon(tm) category, unless of course we propose an achievement for buying lots and lots of loot boxes then WG might be interested. 

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,118 posts
10,328 battles

I would also love some new maps

• Cool 4

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles

One achievement I would suggest to add to the ones OP has provided:

Forlorn hope: gain more base XP on the loosing team than the best player on the winning team.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,204 posts
4 hours ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

Great idea, but no rubles for WeeGreedy tovarish with these.

:Smile_trollface:

very easy - with each achievement the receiver must pay 10dbs fee

• Funny 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,739 posts
11,844 battles

Not gonna happen. Wee Gee went total greed for this year. Nothing matters only money.

They don't even fix bugs anymore...

They are not even trying to make something fun...

They are not even making new maps anymore...

This game is all about spend money on this or on that or on that right now...

• Cool 6

[CHEFT]
Players
431 posts
5,147 battles
5 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

With all the reworks and new additions to the game, how about to give something very old in the game some love? Some achievements are obsolete (liquidator anyone?), many of them promote bad gameplay because they focus solely on damage. How about some nice and motivating achievements that reward good team and gameplay? Some ideas …

• All your base are belong to us - 3 solo or assisted caps
  • Defender - 20 Defended ribbons
  • Hailstorm - 666 (shell+secondary hit) ribbons
  • Indestructible - 3M potential damage
  • Restless wanderer - 100 km distance traveled
  • Secured! - killshot with less than 5% damage contribution to the target
  • So close yet so far - 4 kills (post battle achievement, poor man's kraken)
  • Spearhead of the fleet - 6 enemy ships spotted
  • Teamplayer - 100k damage upon spotting

There are for sure many more ideas. It shouldn't be something too crazy, but realistic achievements in a game. Some are more on the fun side, some to promote and reward good teamplay.

What about:

• The Hero We Need - Sink or report the enemy CV
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SM0KE]
Players
6,977 posts
15,475 battles
7 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Secured! - killshot with less than 5% damage contribution to the target

Splendid ideas, OP; this one might require some rephrasing though, to make sure that everyone knows that 'kill stealing' isn't a thing - there seem to be quite a few people (who don't understand the importance of removing guns from the game) who get their knickers in rather a twist over this?

5 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

first introduce 8 kills, 8/9/10 kills as a div etc

This is a good idea too; there are at least two (probably more, but I've got two recently - I think) of this kind of thing in WOT - slightly surprised the idea hasn't been transferred across already.

[KAKE]
Players
2,790 posts
6,795 battles

I would personally like to see the following two:

"You had one job" - get sunk by a torpedo from a BB while in a DD.

"Role reversal" - sink a DD with a torpedo fired from a BB.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[R3B3L]
Players
1,433 posts
32,719 battles

I am all for new achievements. When I got the "Confederate" for the first time I wondered "wtf is dat?" It made me educate myself on what the medals are handed out for and I gathered info and knowledge about the game. I simply wanted more medals. It feels good to get appreciation for good play.

Which for WG is dAmAgE and KilLs. Every kill (and -steal) is announced in chat for everyone in both teams with "XY killed YZ".

When I cap all three zones in one game and win the game on points - no one of my teammates even gets the notification I did so. Not during the game nor after. It just says "Our team got the zone". In that case it´s "WE did it"

The sniping Thunderer gets his medals (Whitherer etc) which are also announced in chat for everyone in both teams "look, ME playing gud".

After the game he even gets further appreciation (Dreadnought).

6 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Secured: you want even more salt for killsteals? The "autoreport" achievement youd mean

There is a "lucky shot"-achievement in-game which is handed out to new players which detonate an enemy for the first time.

Also, there is a half-medal for every dev-strike, be it by skill or by pure luck.

A cap on the other hand is never taken by luck but by balls. But is isn´t appreciated in form of an achievement. Many times I see someone getting praise from teammates for first blood, but rarely for taking the cap - the casual player simply thinks Wows is about kills, like in Medal of Duty or so, because the game never tells him

"Look Bismarck, your little torpedo-slinging sh1t  just dragged you to victory by score"

Players
4,390 posts
5,713 battles

I really don't see any point of having achievements at all.

Yes some of them give some small gifts but that is meh..

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,385 posts
9,814 battles

Great idea - too bad the game is run by clowns.

• Cool 1

Players
941 posts
6,614 battles
9 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

With all the reworks and new additions to the game, how about to give something very old in the game some love? Some achievements are obsolete (liquidator anyone?), many of them promote bad gameplay because they focus solely on damage. How about some nice and motivating achievements that reward good team and gameplay? Some ideas …

• All your base are belong to us - 3 solo or assisted caps
  • Defender - 20 Defended ribbons
  • Hailstorm - 666 (shell+secondary hit) ribbons
  • Indestructible - 3M potential damage
  • Restless wanderer - 100 km distance traveled
  • Secured! - killshot with less than 5% damage contribution to the target
  • So close yet so far - 4 kills (post battle achievement, poor man's kraken)
  • Spearhead of the fleet - 6 enemy ships spotted
  • Teamplayer - 100k damage upon spotting

There are for sure many more ideas. It shouldn't be something too crazy, but realistic achievements in a game. Some are more on the fun side, some to promote and reward good teamplay.

To expand on the comments of Isuroku Yamamoto:

All your bases: Seems decent idea, I cannot see too much issues with encouraging bad game play with that one.

Defender: I would say a mix of base defended and points taken of while defending.

Hailstorm: Will encourage bad game play, even more fire spam, and the proliferation of toxic ships up the wazoo (Smolensk spam anyone ?)

Indestructible: Might be a good one.

Restless wanderer: Rewards / encourages bad play (1 and 10 lining, immediately leaving your cap to go to the other side of the map), while punishing good play (holding the flank and such).

Killshot: Only encourages bad behaviour, frankly I would say it encourages parasitic game play; you already can see it happening when there are 'Destroyed' ribbon directives, this will only make it worse. Let others do most damage, wait for the opportunity (thus NOT contributing in ANY meaningful way to the team) and get the kill. The people actually playing the game get NO reward.

Spearhead: Let us reward the easiest / least vulnerable class to play - the CV. Guaranteed award for ANY CV player 30 seconds into the game; not even working brain cells needed for that.

Teamplayer: Again, reward the easiest / least vulnerable class to play - the CV.  Near guarantee for every game for ANY CV player with more than a single functioning brain cell. In the mean time, DD players who go for this award will (a) generally be massively yelled at by the team, and (b) not reap ANY decent XP award for this, while getting yelled at by the team. The only way to compensate for that is to massively buff the XP gain for spotting damage (which automatically means a massive XP buff for the CV's as well).

Players
1,187 posts
13,523 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Splendid ideas, OP; this one might require some rephrasing though, to make sure that everyone knows that 'kill stealing' isn't a thing - there seem to be quite a few people (who don't understand the importance of removing guns from the game) who get their knickers in rather a twist over this?

This is a good idea too; there are at least two (probably more, but I've got two recently - I think) of this kind of thing in WOT - slightly surprised the idea hasn't been transferred across already.

Wot has brothers in arms: each member, two or three, scores at least 3 kills & survives, and another one for twelve kills as a platoon (regardless of surviving).

7 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

This applies to a ton of achievements. Dreadnought, a lot of ships have no heal. Witherer, RN tech-tree cruisers anyone? AA Expert, every played low to mid tier? Close quarters, good luck if you are DD main. And so on and on. Not every medal must be possible with every every ship. This gives incentive to play different ships and tiers.

Restless wanderer, not so much running away and hiding, more like really active gunboat DDs and such. And 100 km is a lot, you don't get this with running away in a BB or cruiser.

Of course there is always much room for tweaks and improvements. It's just that the current achievements are for the most part untouched in years now and it gets kinda boring.

Well, i agree that changes could be made, im just saying that some would be in the wrong direction. I still think the general idea is good.

My objection to the spammer is that many ppl already hate smolensk, woos, mino etc- promoting that is a bad idea i think, much like how i think driving 100km on the map border in a marceau is generally a bad idea. The kill stealer will genuinely lead to a culture of autoreporting, im pretty confident of that one.

Ill provide some ofy own ideas though, in a bit

1 hour ago, VIadoCro said:

I am all for new achievements. When I got the "Confederate" for the first time I wondered "wtf is dat?" It made me educate myself on what the medals are handed out for and I gathered info and knowledge about the game. I simply wanted more medals. It feels good to get appreciation for good play.

Which for WG is dAmAgE and KilLs. Every kill (and -steal) is announced in chat for everyone in both teams with "XY killed YZ".

When I cap all three zones in one game and win the game on points - no one of my teammates even gets the notification I did so. Not during the game nor after. It just says "Our team got the zone". In that case it´s "WE did it"

The sniping Thunderer gets his medals (Whitherer etc) which are also announced in chat for everyone in both teams "look, ME playing gud".

After the game he even gets further appreciation (Dreadnought).

There is a "lucky shot"-achievement in-game which is handed out to new players which detonate an enemy for the first time.

Also, there is a half-medal for every dev-strike, be it by skill or by pure luck.

A cap on the other hand is never taken by luck but by balls. But is isn´t appreciated in form of an achievement. Many times I see someone getting praise from teammates for first blood, but rarely for taking the cap - the casual player simply thinks Wows is about kills, like in Medal of Duty or so, because the game never tells him

"Look Bismarck, your little torpedo-slinging sh1t  just dragged you to victory by score"

You talk about caps, while referring to my story on the kill stealing. So were not even on the same topic, but i agree capping enough should be an achievement

[R3B3L]
Players
1,433 posts
32,719 battles
1 hour ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

You talk about caps, while referring to my story on the kill stealing.

Sorry, I should have made a more clear distinction between the two topics.

I mentioned your remark about kill-stealing "along the way" because there are already similar achievements and I don´t think they cause bad will among players.

The rest of my story was mainly about capping.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
27,079 battles

"Wrong turn" - when you are moving forward while at least 4 of your team BBs are sailing towards the backline.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,734 posts
18,027 battles

Three time's a charm - in a 3 man division each one gets 3 kills

Two good to be true - in a 2 man division each one gets 2 kills

• Cool 1

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles

How about borrowing the Brothers in arms achievement from WOT, say for example a division needs to kill 9 of the enemy team.

Sign in to follow this