Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gebbly

British DD captains beyond 10pts?

21 comments in this topic

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

Hi All,

I'm slowly working my way up the British destroyer line and I have several captains on 8-10 points. The first 10 skill points seem like there isn't any choice to be made for destroyers but I was wondering what people considered worthwhile skills beyond 10 points? Especially for the more hybrid destroyers like the British ships.

I'm unsure about RPF because although handy for me it can alert enemies to my presence. Gun skills like adrenaline rush or basic firing training? Or perhaps torpedo skills like torpedo armament expertise.

It feels like choices would be easier in destroyers with more specific roles like a Japanese torpedo-boat or a US gun-boat. With the British destroyers I vary quite a lot in what I am doing from hunting down and shooting an enemy DD in smoke with hydro running to trying to stealth torp a cruiser or battleship (with my rubbish stealth-torpedo window of 0.7km).

Any advice?

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

image.png.44dfb858466db781ef4044bc275db1cc.png

Thats what im running on Jutland right now.

I like to have RPF, its such a great skill. The amount of people using that against you is negligable, if you can use it properly.

Jutland/Daring i like to have SI because of the extra heal. AR and the rest is self-explanatory.

• Cool 3

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,101 posts
11,700 battles

I play my RN DDs as cappers first then DD hunters, so RPF is invaluable.   For me that is.

[PANEU]
Players
21 posts
11,837 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

image.png.44dfb858466db781ef4044bc275db1cc.png

Thats what im running on Jutland right now.

I like to have RPF, its such a great skill. The amount of people using that against you is negligable, if you can use it properly.

Jutland/Daring i like to have SI because of the extra heal. AR and the rest is self-explanatory.

This is the optimal build, particularly for Jutland and Daring which have a heal. Cunningham synergises extremely well with Daring, you can activate two out of the three skills on a very regular basis and even the third if you have a good game.

Bearing in mind that the high tier British DDs are gunboats first and very much torpedo boats second, with particular excellence at cap contesting and slaughtering other DDs. Your smokes allow you to picks fights at will and you will easily outgun the majority of your competitors. Right now, Daring is the strongest tech tree TX DD.

[MBHH]
Players
794 posts

This is the "hunting scheme" that also works quite well in ranked. 

image.thumb.png.57d5d7b5cbef8ba0052e1a8e0ef262c4.png

You might want to swap the torpedo upgrade for aiming systems as you prefer. However, the British torps tend to be rather below the average than above (not fast, not a high flooding chance, only 10km of range). I strongly suggest to go for RPF first, then IFA and AR. The third heal is a nice to habe but not a must. And a seventh smoke... hm. Cunningham helps here as well (two kills).

[WDG]
Players
95 posts
8,018 battles

I use almost same build with Cunnigham, except of additional consumables I took a bit more DPM.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,170 posts
15,102 battles

I agree about RL/RPF - it's a good skill to have on a DD especially if the turrets don't rotate fast.

Back in the days I played randoms I was also able to get a few torp strikes in when the enemy DD wasn't spotted and wasn't in smoke.

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

Regarding the Commanders you buy with coal/dubloons : When I move a standard commander from one ship to another he has to be retrained. Do you have to retrain the bought commanders like Cunningham if you move them between ships? Or can you move him to a ship whenever you take it out?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,879 posts
6,468 battles

Here's what I run on my Lightning, not the most captain points but it works.

shot-21.03.30_14.27.16-0413.jpg

[NWP]
Players
1,526 posts
12,445 battles

image.thumb.png.8deca1585562e1ef3b674dfd41c985e1.png

I play this on Cossack, Lightning

and this on Jutland

image.thumb.png.ea3ed087242aa4088ca79ac418c2e4e9.png

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

Any advice?

I think my RN DD captain looks like this (if you want a non-RL approach):

image.png.839aa6e02341ad62c9635d2f116b7943.png

The 'logic' is along the following lines:

• I would like RL, but basically - for me - I don't find it worth four points (although clearly many do, and I could easily be flat-out wrong); in the past, I found I didn't get *that* much use from it in the current CV and radar heavy meta, and you flag to whoever you're detecting that they're the nearest ship to you - I find this latter point to be not insignificant when playing against RL-equipped ships.
  • RN DDs are really all about the dakka (the torps are 'just' a valuable bonus), so I focus on skills that boost the guns (the BFT nerf sucks, but the skill is IMO probably still worth having, although I usually go AR first).
  • This is built for Daring, so I take the extra healing potion; for a non-healing RN DD, I would probably ditch SI, and take other things instead (probably fires and flooding)...

Much as I hate to admit it, WG did achieve one of their stated aims with the captain rework - there certainly seem to be more than one viable DD build for most ships...

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,413 posts
14,554 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I think my RN DD captain looks like this (if you want a non-RL approach):

image.png.839aa6e02341ad62c9635d2f116b7943.png

The 'logic' is along the following lines:

• I would like RL, but basically - for me - I don't find it worth four points (although clearly many do, and I could easily be flat-out wrong); in the past, I found I didn't get *that* much use from it in the current CV and radar heavy meta, and you flag to whoever you're detecting that they're the nearest ship to you - I find this latter point to be not insignificant when playing against RL-equipped ships.
  • RN DDs are really all about the dakka (the torps are 'just' a valuable bonus), so I focus on skills that boost the guns (the BFT nerf sucks, but the skill is IMO probably still worth having, although I usually go AR first).
  • This is built for Daring, so I take the extra healing potion; for a non-healing RN DD, I would probably ditch SI, and take other things instead (probably fires and flooding)...

Much as I hate to admit it, WG did achieve one of their stated aims with the captain rework - there certainly seem to be more than one viable DD build for most ships...

I would never take priority target on any DD. 

When I am spotted in a DD I assume that every man and his mother will shoot at me. It just distracts me to see that I am targeted by 4-8 players. And the difference between 4 or 8 is moot, I need to get the hell out of Dodge :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
3 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

When I am spotted in a DD I assume that every man and his mother will shoot at me. It just distracts me to see that I am targeted by 4-8 players. And the difference between 4 or 8 is moot, I need to get the hell out of Dodge 

I view it as 'optional but desirable' for a couple of reasons:

• I find it valuable to monitor exactly how many of the enemy have started to point guns at me and when - do I need to run right away, or do I have another five seconds to unload some torps (and similar thought processes)?
  • The 'torp launch' trick is occasionally handy.
  • It can provide valuable information about what you're facing e.g. you can see an opposing BB and a cruiser; if PT pings up '3' it can indicate that something else is out there, and potentially what it is (assuming you looked at the team line-ups and vaguely know your ships and detection values).

I don't run the skill on everything, especially when I don't have a maxed out captain, but I do find the data extremely valuable, and quite frequently so...

[ZEN]
Players
1,446 posts
14,996 battles

I used to run BFT on the Daring but with the Command REEEEEwork butchering that skill I switched it to SI for the extra heal, I assume your first 10 points were PM, LS, SE, CE? For the next skill I would go RPF as you are slower than other DDs so you can never catch them so you need to cut them off to hunt them. If you have 17 points before you get to Jutland you would want to pick AR, if you are at Jutland it is better to go for SI, then later AR at 20 points. Last point can be in whatever you like ICFA can be useful when open water gun boating and the extra flood chance is always helpful, this is really the only part of the Commander build where you actually have options 1 points worth of options...

[THESO]
Players
1,590 posts
18,662 battles

My current build on Jutland is as follows:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSD110&modules=11111&upgrades=133221&commander=PBW100&skills=4409442&ar=100&consumables=1111&pos=0

Jutland is a silver ship. As such, extensive usage in competitive modes is not expected. The current CB-season is the first T9 ever. So at T9 you likely don't have a 21-pointer available for a silver ship. This is one of my regrind-lines, which is why it has a 19-pointer on it. Usually I wouldn't bother with T9 silver ships. It is too much effort to train the captain to a full 21-pt-build.

As such, the build is a workable compromise. I might switch Pyrotechnician to RPF if I had a 21-pointer, but for CB this build works quite well. The Jutland is there for utility. It provides spotting and hydro coverage. Especially in CB it is not tasked to aggressively chase DDs. It is designed to outspot the DDs that outgun it. It has the means to disengage (smoke), so your job is to survive on a thin line between overextending and inviting enemy DDs to come closer. The Jutland is especially good at taking shots of opportunity. So you can use a short smoke to help your team set a few fires. The Pyrotechnician skill helps, as you only got limited smoke duration. it also helps to set an occasional fire shooting from cover. A very worthy point is Liquidator, as it helps setting up enemies for follow-ups. The Jutland is excellent at torping in phases, sending a few on the nose of bow in targets and then follow-up with the rest of the torps, in case the target uses repair.

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

The build Dfens posted with SI as the last pick because it's the least important one, lightning doesn't have a heal and jutland/daring have a crappy heal.
For your last remaining point, I suggest clicking on something blindfolded, it doesn't matter, they all do nothing.

[ZEN]
Players
1,446 posts
14,996 battles
19 minutes ago, ZeroSkillPureLuck said:

You dont need Superintendent on British DDs

On Tier 9 and 10 it gives you an extra heal, from 2 to 3, pre Commander Rework you had the option for BFT for more gun power but with the bonus of that skill halved it is no longer worth the point investment for 0.1s reload boost, which just leaves you with improving the survivability...

• Cool 1

[-DGH-]
[-DGH-]
Players
423 posts
3,468 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, Camperdown sagte:

When I am spotted in a DD I assume that every man and his mother will shoot at me. It just distracts me to see that I am targeted by 4-8 players. And the difference between 4 or 8 is moot, I need to get the hell out of Dodge :cap_rambo:

I use priority target and it helps to decide when to smoke up. 

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts
19 hours ago, Camperdown said:

see that I am targeted by 4-8 players

I would agree to a point with this. If I am trying to be sneaky and do a torpedo run then yes as soon as I'm detected its time to dodge. But if I'm hunting an enemy DD, find them, they start shooting and I'm detected as long as the targetting count is only 1 I'm fairly sure its only the enemy DD firing at me and I'll take that fight.