Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JohnMac79

Detonations

62 comments in this topic

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles

So WG, what is the reasoning behind this still dumb mechanic still being in the game? Who finds it fun to explode from almost full hp? Doesnt this game have enough RNG without instant death RNG too? Asking for a friend...

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[ACIER]
Players
278 posts
2,986 battles
Il y a 1 heure, JohnMac79 a dit :

So WG, what is the reasoning behind this still dumb mechanic still being in the game? Who finds it fun to explode from almost full hp? Doesnt this game have enough RNG without instant death RNG too? Asking for a friend...

Detonation is just boring, like how to run a good game by detonation... Ok the anti detonation flag is here, but still boring.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,935 posts
15,447 battles
1 hour ago, JohnMac79 said:

So WG, what is the reasoning behind this still dumb mechanic still being in the game?

Presumably, because it's a nod to the naval history (Hood, Invincible etc. etc.); this is why I personally don't mind the mechanic.

Of course, it helps that it's so rare that the threat the mechanic presents is pretty theoretical most of the time...

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[UNOVI]
Players
489 posts
7,156 battles

The best thing is, there is one class in the game that can't be detonated yet can still detonate others. You can guess once which class that is

• Cool 6
  • Funny 3

[2PTS]
Players
232 posts
9,431 battles

There are more annoying mechanics in the game:

-A vessel bigger than a BB, has DDs concealment... Yes the CV.

-A CV can bring you to death with 3 strikes and still you can't do anything about it. Oh sorry, WeeGreedy gave the solution. "Just dodge"

-Why a CV doesn't have firing spotting range penalty like all the other ship do? You wonder the radius? Full map of course, since a CV can reach all the map. And how often it should be triggered. Every time a squadron launched for 20 secs as for anybody else.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

Players
290 posts
4,307 battles
1 hour ago, PaP_Mentoles said:

There are more annoying mechanics in the game:

-A vessel bigger than a BB, has DDs concealment... Yes the CV.

-A CV can bring you to death with 3 strikes and still you can't do anything about it. Oh sorry, WeeGreedy gave the solution. "Just dodge"

-Why a CV doesn't have firing spotting range penalty like all the other ship do? You wonder the radius? Full map of course, since a CV can reach all the map. And how often it should be triggered. Every time a squadron launched for 20 secs as for anybody else.

Since when do CVs have DD concealment? They're basically spotted from the moon most of the time. Unless you're talking about tier 4's which even then is grossly exaggerated...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,681 posts
18,027 battles
8 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

almost full hp

or you could add a bit more nuance to your rant post and say: below 75% HP. Which is nowhere near "almost full HP".

That being said: you detonated about 0,9% of your random games.

Is it annoying? Yes

Is it frequent? Nope

Does it fit in with WGs game style? Yes

Does WG have bigger issues than detonation? Hell yes

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,527 posts
13,037 battles

Hunter said what I'd wanted to say, so I'm gonna add this..

I like detonations, It gives a different taste.. when you are helpless.. and you just pray.. I just need this half HP BB gone behind my back so I can turn back and try to carry this match..

Boooom! detonation... HOOOLLLYYY SERB!! I knew you existed!!! 

I have just one thing I don't like about detos..

regular dead and detos have the same explosion visuals.. 

I want more.. I want detonations to look bigger and bigger.. flying debris everywhere, burning oil patches over the surface of the water, 

bigh chunks of metal hitting nearby ships.. damaging them.. nearby ships catching fire... 

Dropping a big bad puff of black smoke.. which blinds both whom goes inside and the one on the outside.. 1 min.. something like that.. 

GIVE US BIG EXPLOSIONS WG!!! BIIIGBADABOOOOOM!!! 

• Cool 8
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 6

[ACIER]
Players
278 posts
2,986 battles
Il y a 2 heures, Communist_Loli a dit :

Since when do CVs have DD concealment? They're basically spotted from the moon most of the time. Unless you're talking about tier 4's which even then is grossly exaggerated...

Rip our poor Zep Chan...

Players
7,558 posts
245 battles
2 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

I mean audacious does try to fit her fat bum into the cloak from time to time. Dunno if they got rid of her legendary upgrade that gave her very good concealment for a CV.

Players
290 posts
4,307 battles
4 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I mean audacious does try to fit her fat bum into the cloak from time to time. Dunno if they got rid of her legendary upgrade that gave her very good concealment for a CV.

Audacious can get pretty trolly concealment with the right build (9.3 km) but she's more of an exception than the rule. She also in turn sacrifices other things to achieve this.

• Returning aircraft speed cut in half.
  • Loss in general aircraft speed.
  • Loss in aircraft reserve and restoration speed.
  • Expensive 4 point concealment skill that could've been spent elsewhere on making the aircraft perform better.

It's a very risky playstyle on a general garbage ship that could be easily countered by the enemy CV providing vision. 

Players
7,558 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, Communist_Loli said:

Audacious can get pretty trolly concealment with the right build (9.3 km) but she's more of an exception than the rule. She also in turn sacrifices other things to achieve this.

• Returning aircraft speed cut in half.
  • Loss in general aircraft speed.
  • Loss in aircraft reserve and restoration speed.
  • Expensive 4 point concealment skill that could've been spent elsewhere on making the aircraft perform better.

It's a very risky playstyle on a general garbage ship that could be easily countered by the enemy CV providing vision. 

Oof, so she gets her head cracked open basically, just to be a bit more hidden. Although makes me wonder without any of the negatives would she be any better or still one of the worst CV's at tier 10.

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,344 posts
9,502 battles
10 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

It's fun getting detonations. There will be ups and downs, if you don't like it... well at least you got 10 signals that'll help you now. :cap_tea:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
815 posts
2,297 battles
1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

<snip>

GIVE US BIG EXPLOSIONS WG!!! BIIIGBADABOOOOOM!!! 

There's no such thing as too big an explosion.

Plus the re-entering turrets might take out another ship.....

In fact a detonation should 'white-out' the screen of all players for about 10 seconds.......:Smile_veryhappy:

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

I like it, because it goes both ways, you detonate someone sometimes. It's obviously cringe in ranked and clan battles but that's what the flags are for. I don't know why CVs are immune to it but they're also immune to fire, flooding and being shot... So WG just went for the full package I guess.

Players
3,955 posts
21,106 battles
10 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Presumably, because it's a nod to the naval history (Hood, Invincible etc. etc.); this is why I personally don't mind the mechanic.

Of course, it helps that it's so rare that the threat the mechanic presents is pretty theoretical most of the time...

Aah. That's why I have witnessed 4 detonations in 1 match, because they are so rare XD

Detonations can be, theoretically, a match deciding event.

• Cool 2

Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

Aah. That's why I have witnessed 4 detonations in 1 match, because they are so rare XD

Detonations can be, theoretically, a match deciding event.

First: statistical anomalies don't counter overarching trends. Yes, people win the lottery, also yes it is more likely to get hit by lightning while being bitten by a shark while surfing a rogue wave. 

Detonations are intended to have match deciding properties. Imagine the frustration when carrying a team with 350k damage and 8 kills and knowing you just can't kill the other guy. Now imagine said guy detonates because the dpm barrier gets exceeded. 

They can be avoided in competitive and are rare overall. Just let cvs in on the fun and everything is fine. 

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,726 posts
11,813 battles
13 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

Who finds it fun to explode from almost full hp?

Well... I do...

I think it is funny... And I have met many people in the games who found it funny.

BTW

How important is the detonation mechanic on the issue list? Well it is around on the 12556587455445th place right now...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

Players
601 posts
5,057 battles
12 hours ago, Verblonde said:

It really depends on the class you play. I don't think it's rare at all for DDs, and would be even rarer if:

a. a lot of DD captains didn't use detonation flags

b. a lot of DD captains didn't use the anti-detonation module (-70%)

Even despite a lot of DDs using det flags or the anti-det module, I regularly see DD detonations in randoms.

As it is, as a player coming from BBs to DDs, I find the whole detonation mechanic to be a fun tax for destroyers, and basically imposes a hidden 50-100k extra credit cost per match to playing them if you want to be certain you don't get detonated.

• Cool 2

[VIBES]
Players
901 posts
20,227 battles

Personally I have no issue with detonations, since those are the only combat flags I ever buy.

Still, it's a dumb mechanic. It's a tax on being able to play the best game according to your abilities, whatever their level.

It's especially annoying because it mostly happens to DDs, and DDs win games.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,527 posts
13,037 battles
3 hours ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Plus the re-entering turrets might take out another ship.....

in tanks, when you receive an ammorack explosion, your turret flies off and can damage when it hits another tank.. we shoul have that too.. but bigger..

I mean Michael Bay size explosions

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
3,955 posts
21,106 battles
1 hour ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

First: statistical anomalies don't counter overarching trends. Yes, people win the lottery, also yes it is more likely to get hit by lightning while being bitten by a shark while surfing a rogue wave. 

Detonations are intended to have match deciding properties. Imagine the frustration when carrying a team with 350k damage and 8 kills and knowing you just can't kill the other guy. Now imagine said guy detonates because the dpm barrier gets exceeded. 

They can be avoided in competitive and are rare overall. Just let cvs in on the fun and everything is fine. 

First: that doesnt make the anomalies less laughably absurd in a match.

Second: your imaginary example is weird. What do detonation have to do with 'exceeding dpm barriers'? And why would someone with 8 kills need 'said guy' to detonate? :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 4

[THESO]
Players
1,578 posts
18,625 battles

I never liked detonations. Sure you take them if you get to detonate another player. But they just bias a supposedly fair game. A battle is supposed to be decided by collective skill, not by russian roulette. All that it affects is that either (a) a team loses that deserved to win or (b) a loss is turning into a steamroll. Both events do not add to the quality of the game experience.

• Cool 6

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
1 hour ago, Humorpalanta said:

Well... I do...

I think it is funny... And I have met many people in the games who found it funny.

BTW

How important is the detonation mechanic on the issue list? Well it is around on the 12556587455445th place right now...

Erm, dying instantly is the most unfun thing possible...

• Cool 1

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,905 battles
6 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

or you could add a bit more nuance to your rant post

Rant post? Where was i ranting?

below 75% HP. Which is nowhere near "almost full HP".

The detonation addition is calculated after the shell damage, so yes, from almost full HP is 100% correct. You CAN be detonated from full HP if the first shell takes you below 75%.

Does it fit in with WGs game style? Yes

:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this