You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hocamdomdom

I hate DD divisions

38 comments in this topic

[OLEUM]
Players
29 posts

They mostly result in one of DD abandon his flank and turn for his friend but it result in entire team being farmed just because you would like to have fun with your friend, why one of you just not playing cruiser or battleship ? OR at least finish your job at your flank  THEN turn for your friend, you dont have right to ruin remaining 10 people's game 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
3,732 posts
14,361 battles

I hate BB divisions. Just sailing at the back staying in the same square.

See. Anyone can moan about something trivial. You can't tell people how to play the game I'm afraid. 

• Cool 13

Players
583 posts
5,034 battles
7 minutes ago, hocamdomdom said:

They mostly result in one of DD abandon his flank and turn for his friend but it result in entire team being farmed just because you would like to have fun with your friend, why one of you just not playing cruiser or battleship ? OR at least finish your job at your flank  THEN turn for your friend, you dont have right to ruin remaining 10 people's game 

I play dd hunter divs with a friend, good concealment dd with hydro plus fire support dd. We often murder the dd(s) at one cap before moving to the next. While you have to balance this against the team’s need for vision on a broader front, it is not always auto fail- so long as you have a plan.

• Cool 3

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts

I see so many problems with the opening posters comment. It has to be accepted that each player can play the game how they choose. You might not like it but thats the price of a multiplayer game in which groups are put together completely randomly. The only fixes are clan battles or 11 player divisions in which you all communicate and agree roles.

25 minutes ago, hocamdomdom said:

just because you would like to have fun with your friend

Isnt that the point of a game?

17 minutes ago, hocamdomdom said:

you dont have right to ruin remaining 10 people's game

It could also be argued that "you dont have right to tell someone else how to play their ship".

As for ruining everyone elses game that argument could be applied all over the place, to the BB hiding in the corner, to the DD on a goose-chase after the enemy CV, to the group of ships that cluster tightly together in open water abandoning flank positions, to players refusing to shoot the enemy DD when spotted and so on.

26 minutes ago, hocamdomdom said:

at least finish your job

Its nobodys "job" to do what you want them to in a game. I agree that some ships are better suited to certain roles than others but the player may feel the team is better served by doing something other than what you want especially in the case of destroyers as their "job" seems to cover so many different tasks.

As arttuperkunas already said there are reasons why a destroyer doesnt spend their whole time contesting a flank. If they arent getting any support from their team (e.g. shooting the enemy DD when they spot it) it can be suicidal contesting a cap alone if there is an enemy DD with support. I have certainly been in games trying to take a cap and getting zero support so moved and worked with another DD on a different cap smoking and shooting the enemy DD when he spots it.

It would be nice if every team worked like a well-oiled machine and everyone made optimal plays all the time but we have to accept that isnt going to happen.

Ultimately try and remember, someone else might not like the way you choose to play your ship but, your ship your choice.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[EIRE]
Players
138 posts
9,854 battles

I hate divisions of bad players in any ship. They just follow each other around whilst being useless.

• Cool 3

[OLEUM]
Players
29 posts
17 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Its nobodys "job" to do what you want them to in a game. I agree that some ships are better suited to certain roles than others but the player may feel the team is better served by doing something other than what you want especially in the case of destroyers as their "job" seems to cover so many different tasks.

Its nearly impossible win any game if your CV or DD decide to be useless. Thats why  in 90% of matches one side is farming other. I wish you could join ranked below T8, its just painful in random battles.

Beta Tester
2,194 posts
12,822 battles
1 hour ago, arttuperkunas said:

I play dd hunter divs with a friend, good concealment dd with hydro plus fire support dd. We often murder the dd(s) at one cap before moving to the next. While you have to balance this against the team’s need for vision on a broader front, it is not always auto fail- so long as you have a plan.

Imagine Gearing-Wooster-Austin division. I play very safe every time I see a Austin or a Venezia on the other team in a DD.

• Cool 1

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts
29 minutes ago, hocamdomdom said:

I wish you could join ranked below T8

Some people on here have posted about how painful Ranked is at the moment so it may not be any better. And if you think 1 ship in 11 playing badly in random is painful imagine what it would be like if that were 1 ship in 7.

As for Ranked tiers according to WoWs website :

"The Tiers of ships that may participate in Ranked Battles are governed by the rules of the Ranked Battles season"

So I guess there will be varying tier limits?

Theres also the added penalty of a bad player potentially costing you a star.

Oh and whilst I think about it perhaps you would enjoy it more if you could get into a good clan which does lots of clan battles? That way you could be in a team which hopefully communicates and works well together.

Players
583 posts
5,034 battles
14 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Imagine Gearing-Wooster-Austin division. I play very safe every time I see a Austin or a Venezia on the other team in a DD.

A DD with close cruiser support is always something to be concerned about. Even a "lowly" Leander accompanying a DD to a cap can be very bad news indeed...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
1 minute ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

I'm waiting for the T1/T2 season! :Smile_honoring:

Doubtful... you see, doesnt have CVs, thus WG wouldnt consider it to begin with :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts
Just now, MementoMori_6030 said:

I'm waiting for the T1/T2 season! 

Can you imagine? a ranked season with no CVs or radar. That could be quite entertaining.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
3,092 posts
Vor 10 Minuten, Gebbly sagte:

Can you imagine? a ranked season with no CVs or radar. That could be quite entertaining.

That's the idea.

• Cool 1

Players
508 posts
5,790 battles

100% with the OP here, had three recent games with divisions in where they thought that meant they had to sail around in close formation.

Yes this can be effective with rolling smoke etc, but in each case this simply meant that one flank was completely abandoned so that they could be close to their friend.

Even on a two dd game on two brothers, one DD decided to sail right across the map to leave one side blind.

In every case we lost.

It's not restricted to DDs either, i've seen the same stuff with BBs

Please can you make sure that divisions do not spawn in the middle!

• Cool 1

[OLEUM]
Players
29 posts
1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

Some people on here have posted about how painful Ranked is at the moment so it may not be any better. And if you think 1 ship in 11 playing badly in random is painful imagine what it would be like if that were 1 ship in 7.

As for Ranked tiers according to WoWs website :

"The Tiers of ships that may participate in Ranked Battles are governed by the rules of the Ranked Battles season"

So I guess there will be varying tier limits?

Theres also the added penalty of a bad player potentially costing you a star.

Oh and whilst I think about it perhaps you would enjoy it more if you could get into a good clan which does lots of clan battles? That way you could be in a team which hopefully communicates and works well together.

Yes you face bad players in ranked too but since their main purpose is winning game, I can't be angry at them. I'm doing clan battles regularly and enyojing them wish getting ship from tech three was fun as well :/

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
2 hours ago, Gebbly said:

We will certainly see T5+T6+T7 ranked, the idea of new ranked system is to switch it up. But I don't think T1/2/3/4 is realistic. Does anyone play that? All I ever see is two guys going at eachother with 11 bots on both teams. I'm sure someone likes it but it's very unpopular.

[FMJ]
Players
179 posts
1 hour ago, bobtherterrible said:

simply meant that one flank was completely abandoned

This sounds like the assumption is that it is the DDs job to hold the flank? I am certainly finding recently in about a third of my games the cruisers and battleships huddle together over one side of the map leaving me in a destroyer to hold a flank that is pushing with destroyers cruisers and battleships.

More generally if you see a division of 2 or 3 ships abandon a flank cant you try and reinforce it yourself with other ships? I have also been in matches where the clump of cruisers and battleships all flock to my side of the map leaving a flank open and have to head over there to get vision and try and hold it but in these situations it is rare for any cruisers or battleships to join me.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,387 posts
14,475 battles
Just now, Gebbly said:

This sounds like the assumption is that it is the DDs job to hold the flank? I am certainly finding recently in about a third of my games the cruisers and battleships huddle together over one side of the map leaving me in a destroyer to hold a flank that is pushing with destroyers cruisers and battleships.

More generally if you see a division of 2 or 3 ships abandon a flank cant you try and reinforce it yourself with other ships? I have also been in matches where the clump of cruisers and battleships all flock to my side of the map leaving a flank open and have to head over there to get vision and try and hold it but in these situations it is rare for any cruisers or battleships to join me.

Funny enough I like defending a flank alone in a DD. It allows me to have full focus on 1 set of enemies :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

This triple BB division was on my team just now, they sat there for the last 7 minutes of the game doing nothing while the enemy minsk got all 4 caps.
When asked why they wanted to sit there for 7 minutes they said minsk has scary 4km torpedoes.
Do I make an I HATE BB DIVISIONS topic now?
They also sat there for the first 13 minutes of the game by the way.

2109708332_Neverleftspawn.JPG.31c66ed916887c3d5fbc59cd9ad22587.JPG

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
4 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

triple BB division

giphy.gif

• Funny 6

[OGHF]
Players
1,413 posts
24,536 battles
2 hours ago, bobtherterrible said:

100% with the OP here, had three recent games with divisions in where they thought that meant they had to sail around in close formation.

Yes this can be effective with rolling smoke etc, but in each case this simply meant that one flank was completely abandoned so that they could be close to their friend.

Even on a two dd game on two brothers, one DD decided to sail right across the map to leave one side blind.

In every case we lost.

It's not restricted to DDs either, i've seen the same stuff with BBs

Please can you make sure that divisions do not spawn in the middle!

If you join a game as a clan division you work together, if you just wander off on your own you have wasted a working partnership, they will both be on coms, they will work a cap and delete any lone DD etc, so no I totally disagree with yourself as well as the OP.

Players
508 posts
5,790 battles
17 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

If you join a game as a clan division you work together, if you just wander off on your own you have wasted a working partnership, they will both be on coms, they will work a cap and delete any lone DD etc, so no I totally disagree with yourself as well as the OP.

Yes that's fine so long as you are working effectively together, the trouble is when it seems that they think they have to sail in close formation and that's that without any other consideration to the game situation. That is very bad as it results in abandoned flanks and inevitable losses. There's no point doing even a super job on one flank if the rest of the map is totally FUBAR.

Players
508 posts
5,790 battles
58 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Not really that assumption, no, just that leaving a flank solely because you want cuddles from your div mate is stupid and leads to losses. Sometimes the right thing to do is not sail together, much as you might want to.

I am also finding a lot of games where there is a tendency for tight swarms of ships, usually behind an island. It sucks!

Yes you can try and reinforce a flank but it doesn't help much if you do so alone. Though this depends on the ship, some are quite good at it, some not so much.