Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Edinburgh_C16

kiev or ognevoi?

21 comments in this topic

Players
191 posts
3,997 battles

i'm 30 k away to finish the minsk grind, but i'm not sure what line to go further.. i've watched some reviews, but i'm not 100% sure what to choose from those 2 dd's

Players
4,681 posts
7,604 battles
1 minute ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

i'm 30 k away to finish the minsk grind, but i'm not sure what line to go further.. i've watched some reviews, but i'm not 100% sure what to choose from those 2 dd's

Public test is running today, you can try both lines out if you want.

[SINT]
Players
1,092 posts
23,261 battles
15 minutes ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

Well grind both of them;).  

Luckily WG gave US the permanent Minsk camo last year so that makes the double grind somehow cheaper on the camo’s.

I really dislike they Ognevoi even when it was T6. Kiev is a bit better. Neither ships are populair.

But Kiev first ( although that 4K more to grind)

• Cool 1

Players
191 posts
3,997 battles
7 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

Well grind both of them;).  

Luckily WG gave US the permanent Minsk camo last year so that makes the double grind somehow cheaper on the camo’s.

I really dislike they Ognevoi even when it was T6. Kiev is a bit better. Neither ships are populair.

But Kiev first ( although that 4K more to grind)

yeah, i have that camo, the problem is that i don't like high concealment on dd's

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,927 battles
10 minutes ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

yeah, i have that camo, the problem is that i don't like high concealment on dd's

Kiev with 0 concealment was fun in that T8 ranked a while ago when there were no CVs. Was hilarious getting 2 radar cruisers to chase me to J10 for me to just kill one of them :Smile_trollface:

[R3B3L]
Players
1,399 posts
32,619 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

i don't like high concealment on dd's

Ognevoi is quite stealthy. Plays somewhat like a Japanese torpedo-boat. But the follow-up T9 is an abomination and I can´t really recommend it to someone who wants to play sneaky.

Kiev is a knight high up on his horse, yelling "look at me, here I am - DAKADAKA"

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,116 posts
22,875 battles

i'm not sure what line to go further

You have to ask yourself what you want to reach. Khaba has been powercrept hard. Grozovoi holds steady. It's your decision, but my advice would be to check the T10s and decide based on them.

• Cool 5

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,862 posts
6,468 battles

Minsk single handedly convinced me to go for Kiev first, and nothing in my expirience of her since has mad me belive  anything other than that I made the right choice.

Just something really fun about zooming around at 45+ knots, and Oggy just doesn't  have that speed.

[SPURD]
Players
860 posts
6,511 battles

Well the trashcan was actually built, so if you think having a high tier soviet ship that isn't imaginary you might want to go for it.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,862 posts
6,468 battles
24 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Well the trashcan was actually built, so if you think having a high tier soviet ship that isn't imaginary you might want to go for it.

Had quite the active carreer too, albeit a rather short one.

[LEEUW]
Players
3,108 posts
10,725 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

Kiev is pure gunboat. Focus is on long range HE spam and WASD-dodging potential damage. 

Ognevoi is more of a hybrid. Not top in any field but more of a Swiss knife. Force dcps with torps, set follow up fires. 

I personally love gunboats because it is less vulnerable to matchmaking. A gunboat doesn't care about radars or amount of DDs. Your playstyle stays the same. 

[VIBES]
Players
845 posts
20,155 battles

Ognevoi is a versatile, if mediocre, hybrid.

The torps are fairly slow for T8, the turret placement and fire rate are bad, concealment is so-so.

Still, with 10 torpedo launchers, a heal and Def AA (without sacrificing either smoke or speed boost), she's pretty well-rounded.

Udaloi loses the concealment, but in favor of much better DPM and an exciting playstyle. Definitely permacaptain material.

The Grozovoi gets her concealment back, so she's an excellent hybrid. Her main drawbacks are low torpedo range (10 km at T10 isn't as good as 10 km at T8) and lack of a vision consumable (hydro or radar).

If you go Kiev-Khaba, be warned: the Khaba has terrible range, concealment, rudder time and even torpedo range for what it's worth (6 km). Arguably the worst T10 ship in the game right now, certainly the most disappointing for me.

The Tashkent is superior in pretty much every respect, and being T9 she'll see fewer CVs.

The Kiev is fun, not gonna lie.

Keep in mind though, gunboats have to choose between smoke and heal, while hybrids get both, along with Def AA.

I can't comment on the Grozovoi yet, as I've barely played her, but the Udaloi has been the most fun for me so far, and there's a reason (several reasons, in fact) why you see such few Khabas around these days...

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

With T10 in mind .... Khaba is somewhat underwhelming.

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,927 battles

Well when I grinded the Ognevoi and Udaloi they didn't have heal and were rather bad to play, maybe much better now, Grozavoi is a decent jack of all trades and used to have decent AA , not since the rework though. On the other hand both Kiev and Tashkent are DAKKA ships there to just piss off the enemy all game as long as there is no CV, though the T10 Khaba is mostly a downgrade from the Tashkent as it trades everything for 1 more gun an a 50mm Main belt, so worse range and much worse a dodging is not a good combination...

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Grozovoi with legendary module can do what Khabarovsk does and has usable torpedoes and has 6km conceal so you can "do your job" as a DD too. The thing with Grozovoi is you're not as good as Khaba at doing Khaba things, but you can do it effectively. You're not as good as Daring contesting a cap, but you can do it effectively. Strength of the ship lies in being good at nothing but decent at everything. Having 6km concealment and 14.8km usable range on your guns makes the ship incredibly versatile, it also has every consumable except hydro. It was my first T10 ship because I liked the concept behind it, I had no idea how to play initially but now I do and it's everything I wanted. It's also unique, more unique than just about every T10 premium even, nobody plays it.

Optimal build if you go for it, get the legendary upgrade too. The idea behind it is you're both a normal dd and an open water gunboat, just gotta know when to do what.

Optimal build.JPG

• Cool 1

[NORKS]
Players
24 posts
9,734 battles

Get the Kiev.

It's a glorious speed-wagon of laughs, play it with heal not smoke (manly mode) and make sure you have the extra firing range on your captain.  Ignite BB's at range, laugh as you rack up millions of potential damage as they utterly fail to hit you at 14-15km, and zoom around re-taking caps late game.  

Or you can slide in behind a friendly DD, and they use their stealth to cap while you both bully the DD he spots, thus removing him from the game.   Also, very much unlike Minsk, you can offer your extremely slim frontal profile to the enemy, while still retaining 66% of your firepower.   Which is pretty awesome!

(Don't bother with the replacement for Basic Firing Training captains skill, 10% buff before was debatable, 5% is just a terribly bad joke - Take extra health instead.)

Players
7,308 posts
11,668 battles
14 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Grozovoi with legendary module can do what Khabarovsk does and has usable torpedoes and has 6km conceal so you can "do your job" as a DD too. The thing with Grozovoi is you're not as good as Khaba at doing Khaba things, but you can do it effectively.

Same goes for the Udaloi vs. Tashkent. In this meta, you build Udaloi for range and just gunboat as often as possible. But on top, you have smoke, better concealment (although still high) and better torps. Just much more versatile.

But Kiev is fun tho. My advice for OP is, get both Kiev and Ognevoi. Dont let the gameplay of Ognevoi distract you from Udaloi and Grozovoi, its very much different. So go for Grozovoi but dont miss out on the dakka fun of Kiev (if thats your thing).

• Cool 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,928 battles
On 3/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, Aragathor said:

You have to ask yourself what you want to reach. Khaba has been powercrept hard. Grozovoi holds steady. It's your decision, but my advice would be to check the T10s and decide based on them.

I agree with this - I got the Grozovoi a long time before the Khabarov.

[T-N-T]
Players
599 posts
583 battles

Khabarovsk line is probably the most obsolete line in the game ATM. It is nowhere near to the beast it used to be, quite the opposite. 

Players
10,374 posts
12,044 battles
On 3/29/2021 at 3:13 PM, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

To be honest, neither.

Ognevoi is torpedoboat, but not because of having good torpedoes, but due to being so hilariously undergunned, to the point IJN "torpedoboats" casually can bully you into submission with their guns. Ognevoi concealment also leaves a lot to be desired and having all the consumables doesn't really fix disappointing ship underneath.

Next ship, Udaloi is effectively "alternate Tashkent", as in open water gunboat with nonexistent concealment that traded some of the speed and range for consumables and surprisingly serviceable torpedoes. Grozovoi is supposed hybrid, in practice she is mediocre across the board AND she's big and clumsy.

Kiev and then Tashkent technically are peak of RU open water gunboats, but that is ship genre that was massively powercrept over the years and then they are completely helpless against carriers. To top it off, Khabarovsk is meme tier bad with overnerfed range and rudder shift.

Sign in to follow this