Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EnacheV

Something weird about stress in WoWs vs. WoT

22 comments in this topic

Players
123 posts
1,280 battles

So i played WoT for 11 years, i didnt give a flying fk, played 10'000's of battles, lose 15 in a row sometimes, a little bit of rage but whatever, i don't think i was stressed once

But this game's random battles are very stresful and i dont figure it why, its basically the same thing but still

It may have something to do with swings and 100% focus

in WoT , 75% of the time you know who will win after 2-3 minutes. first engagements are after 30 seconds. Here many times , from -3 on ships, end up winning. In WoT almost never.

I quite can't figure it out why this game randoms are much more demanding

Maybe because average battle duration is longer and there are no lul periods, i dont know

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,262 posts
26,718 battles
12 hours ago, EnacheV said:

So i played WoT for 11 years, i didnt give a flying fk, played 10'000's of battles, lose 15 in a row sometimes, a little bit of rage but whatever, i don't think i was stressed once

But this game's random battles are very stresful and i dont figure it why, its basically the same thing but still

in WoT , 75% of the time you know who will win after 2-3 minutes. first engagements are after 30 seconds. Here many times , from -3 on ships, end up winning. In WoT almost never.

Maybe because average battle duration is longer and there are no lul periods, i dont know

maybe coz in general everything is more here? just a guess ^^....

more hp

more guns

more armor

more map

more chances to prevent blaps

more reload

more complex vehicles

more chances to fight foot on foot

... i only played a few matches in wot ever, and this game here seems way more tactical. in whatever ship, in doubt i can take on whatever ship. really not the impression i got in wot.

also this is way less fast-paced, so essentially there's more space for tension building up. u just can not try to get the perfect shot right away after a miss, u gotta wait.

2cts, b4 coffee lol

[COMFY]
Players
1,528 posts
8,815 battles
13 hours ago, EnacheV said:

Same in here tbh. It is pretty easy to predict from the start which random team will win. Surprises happen of course but they are rare.

I also think that frustration might be comming from lenght of matches. Sometimes it is 20 minutes straight. Dunno how long WoT matches last though but in such WarThunder for example they are fairly quick most of the time and even if you die you can jumb again to same vehicle and repeat.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,659 posts
19,113 battles
40 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

WoWS is like Test Cricket. It takes a very long time to get going, and for long periods nothing much seems to be happening, and then suddenly.... it turns out that all that preamble has, in fact been about positioning and waiting for the moment to make the most strategic strike. WoWs teams are just like cricket teams when they are batting -  not all the players are of the same quality and the range of ability is huge, but they all have to contribute. Some are obdurate, careful, they don't give their ship away easily. Some are free-scoring, hard hitting. Others are tailenders - barely competent, but they have to perform and support as best they can. It can make games *very* tense. It can also make things very processional and one-dimensional, and often not much in between. But when it's good, the combination of sustained tension and moments of high drama make it very, very good...

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,169 posts
21,652 battles

Well thats Easy...

there was only 1 HMS Warspit/1 USS Iowa and 1 Bismark

There were 

4016 Cromwell tanks

49,234 Sherman tanks

1,347 tiger tanks

Lose your tank there are plenty more..

Seriously mate I think that was probably just you.. lets face it Tank chat got so toxic they removed the ability to talk to the enemy team....

Beta Tester
3,468 posts
3,994 battles

The point you make is interesting, Captain @EnacheV, because I have experienced the exact opposite. For me, battles in World of Tanks are generally far more stressful than battles in World of Warships.

World of Warships has often been named "a thinking man's action game" - most recently by Captain FixCVs above, in fact - and I would say this is a title it deserves. In most situations in WoWs, you know where you are going and where you are likely to end up at least a minute or two before you get there. You can see a situation develop and plan accordingly. A little planning and forethought can often give you the edge to take on - and take out - even an opponent with much quicker reflexes than your own. In World of Tanks, on the other hand, battles will more often be decided by whichever player has the best hand-to-eye coordination. Planning and forethought are by no means irrelevant, but the sheer pace of engagements is much faster.

Pushing fifty, I believe I can safely say that compared to World Warships, World of Tanks is much more of a young man's game. After having played WoT more or less regularly for several years, I had come to the point where I felt that I was at least adequately capable of handling myself up to about tier VII or VIII. But in order to keep even that modicum of skill, I had to play at least a a few battles every week. Any kind of downtime would entail a sharp skill drop followed by a rather painful uphill struggle to get back to where I left off. As it is, I haven't played World Tanks regularly for more than two years, and the likelihood of me ever returning grows slimmer by the day. 

After having extolled the virtues of a measured pace, it might come across as a bit contrary when I say that my favourite ship class in WoWs is the destroyer. I like to have a go at the enemy, test the waters, spot, fire and retreat, and generally try to react to and create opportunities. But even as I do this, my best games are those where I find myself forced to play smart - to play the thinking man's game, as it were. Reflexes and hand-to-eye coordination are certainly an asset, but typically less decisive than choosing one's battles wisely and playing for the objectives.

My only objection to the description of WoWs as "a thinking man's game", is that the wording fails to account for the women players. Please let me assure you all, ladies and gentlemen, that I do not intend to exclude anyone. It's just that the phrase "a thinking person's game" lacks a little something in artistic delivery.

Cheers!

:cap_old:

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
1,573 posts
18,620 battles

I have never played WoT. From what I have seen in videos, micropositioning is quite important there. You can move in and out of cover within a second.

In WoWs everything takes more time. If a player is roughly in the right spot, that is good positioning. But you also see when players are fataly out of position. Maybethat is what causes more stress. You don't just read a message that a friendly player got destroyed, you can see it coming on the minimap and there is nothing you can do about it. This is what causes stress to me, if I can see how a game is thrown.

A minor point might be team sizes. WoWs has 12v12 usually, 7v7 in Ranked and even events that are 1v1. The smaller the team size, the more exhausting a battle is to me. The reason is probably, that you blame yourself the more the less players are there. It's paradox, cause usually you gotta work harder to have an impact on the outcome if team sizes are larger.

• Cool 1

Players
6,619 posts

Funny, as I have typically found it to be the opposite. I mostly attribute to factors like game speed, reaction time, and complexity of the map design. I can still blow a fuse (or more) in WoWS, mind you, but it's more like the stress peaks there and then it's over, whereas playing WoT is more like being under constant pressure, so I don't really get the release either.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,262 posts
26,718 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

WoWS is like Test Cricket. It takes a very long time to get going, and for long periods nothing much seems to be happening, and then suddenly.... it turns out that all that preamble has, in fact been about positioning and waiting for the moment to make the most strategic strike. WoWs teams are just like cricket teams when they are batting -  not all the players are of the same quality and the range of ability is huge, but they all have to contribute. Some are obdurate, careful, they don't give their ship away easily. Some are free-scoring, hard hitting. Others are tailenders - barely competent, but they have to perform and support as best they can. It can make games *very* tense. It can also make things very processional and one-dimensional, and often not much in between. But when it's good, the combination of sustained tension and moments of high drama make it very, very good...

brilliant.... quoting me with something i didn't say (i told i not have too much of a clue bout wot, right?), just to explain it with a game NO ONE outside of the commonwealth ever did understand :Smile_great::Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:....

so, what u wanted to tell me now? i guess u messed up ur hit lol

Beta Tester
3,468 posts
3,994 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

lets face it Tank chat got so toxic they removed the ability to talk to the enemy team....

So they did. I remember logging back into WoT a year or two ago, and finding that the all-chat option was no longer there. I wasn't angry or even surprised; just sad, really. This more than anything else is what made me more or less give up abot WoT - and it is one reason why I always try to actively work towards maintaining the nice and friendly atmosphere we still have in the WoWs community.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,812 posts
7,821 battles

Well, since WG doesn´t do anything about people like this: 

things do get out of hand, the salty environment is is stressful and can be enough to put some off playing altogether

Great fun, join a game, misplay and get a :etc_swear:load of abuse for it

Anyone can make a mistake.. 

Beta Tester
272 posts
8,441 battles

World of Warships is a slower paced, more measured game with matches typically lasting a lot longer and often going to full term. All of that encourages people to invest something in the result - if you've been trying to secure a win for 20 mins you want a return on your effort. In contrast it is easier to just write off a bad World of Tanks game, click "Battle" and move on to the next in the hope this match will be better.

• Cool 1

Players
6,619 posts
33 minutes ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

World of Warships is a slower paced, more measured game with matches typically lasting a lot longer and often going to full term. All of that encourages people to invest something in the result - if you've been trying to secure a win for 20 mins you want a return on your effort. In contrast it is easier to just write off a bad World of Tanks game, click "Battle" and move on to the next in the hope this match will be better.

Knowing WoT it most likely won't.... :mellow:

[TEPES]
Players
229 posts
5,044 battles
19 hours ago, EnacheV said:

i actually think wot is the worse game by a lot due to balance btw played like 10k+ games in wot

[-TPF-]
Players
4,659 posts
19,113 battles
4 hours ago, MrWastee said:

brilliant.... quoting me with something i didn't say (i told i not have too much of a clue bout wot, right?), just to explain it with a game NO ONE outside of the commonwealth ever did understand :Smile_great::Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:....

Hmm. Why the forum software decided to quote you, IDK. Sorry, I was replying to the OP. 

And as for the explanation about cricket - it's a popular game. 2 billion people can't be wrong.....

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
3,262 posts
26,718 battles
6 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Hmm. Why the forum software decided to quote you, IDK. Sorry, I was replying to the OP. 

And as for the explanation about cricket - it's a popular game. 2 billion people can't be wrong.....

fun fact, they can lol

Players
3,933 posts
21,092 battles
19 hours ago, EnacheV said:

You might haven't played enough battles yet to see the most likely outcome based on the first movements of your teammates.

[CZSKN]
Players
99 posts
4,081 battles

Both games are equally frustrating....the fact that many battles are decided regardless of your performance and getting you in the situation where you cannot influence the outcome..... is frustrating. Every game you join,you should be able to win, and if not then you can question your time and money investment for such a game.

Players
3,502 posts
12,136 battles

WoT is plagued by premium ammo and all that jazz. Not to mention the huge difference in tiers where a light tank doesn't stand a chance against a heavy one, never mind at a differnet tier. 

In WOWS even a tier 2 DD can kill a tier 10 BB. In WoT your screwed. 

WoWP is seal clubbing 101 and the game is dead with no development. Seal clubbing is like a different level with fully upgraded pilots and planes at tier 3 for missions. 

Having played all 3 (WoT, WOWS and finally WOWP), WOWS is defently more of a thinking man's game and most importantly, the fairest would you believe. 

Like many have pointed out, 20 mins is invested time and you tend to take it twice as hard when you lose.

Players
163 posts
On 3/27/2021 at 9:21 PM, EnacheV said:

I agree with your point Randoms in WoW is very stressful to me since I am person with disability and due problems in my hands and kinda slow reactions I can't  doing fast avoiding maneuvers and aiming correctly. In randoms I haves often feels that everyone aming at me and I often die in first half of match.

I find that ranked fit me much more and it have calmed gameplay in my surviving is much better and I do more contribute to match especially in fast firing CL like Mainz and Cleveland although I would like that these ships have aacces to repair party.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this