Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Axis vs Allies another well thought WG mode

49 comments in this topic

[EIRE]
Players
138 posts
9,880 battles

I remember they tried a similar thing in WoT in 2015 I think and it was quickly scrapped because of balancing issues. 

• Cool 5

[NECRO]
Players
3,158 posts

Last time I checked this brilliant concept, there were 3 Russian ships, with 2 of those being Cold War vessels and 1 making it barely into service during the war.

So at least we don't have to deal with Soviet delusions of grandeur.

But yes, the distribution of ships and gimmicks is ridiculous, as well as the clinging to T8 (with multiples of the same ship allowed) instead of allowing all ships from the appropriate time period, and no multiples. World of Bismarcks? No, thanks.

• Cool 3

Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles

US vs IJN could hold some potential, but I'm really not interested in nation vs nation. It is not what the game is about and the distribution of gimmicks makes this quite a bit unfun. 

And you just gotta love the fact that the Italian bbs get their historically bad gun performance, yet the Germans - which had some of the best range finding and hit ratio in the war - are shotguns as well. 

Anyhow, don't care. 

• Cool 6

[THESO]
Players
8,170 posts
42,110 battles
42 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

And you just gotta love the fact that the Italian bbs get their historically bad gun performance

Not on Roma with deadeye active. The blap power of this ship increased so much.

Beta Tester
3,476 posts
4,000 battles
1 hour ago, kieodox said:

I remember they tried a similar thing in WoT in 2015 I think and it was quickly scrapped because of balancing issues. 

Oh yeah, this takes me back. There was this battle setup where you could play Tigers on the one side and Shermans on the other. The queuing time for the Axis was such that some players are probably still staring vacantly at the loading screen five years later... totally did not see that coming, no sireee!

:fish_sleep:

• Funny 3

Players
2,244 posts
9,149 battles
17 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Oh yeah, this takes me back. There was this battle setup where you could play Tigers on the one side and Shermans on the other. The queuing time for the Axis was such that some players are probably still staring vacantly at the loading screen five years later... totally did not see that coming, no sireee!

:fish_sleep:

Yeah, Yamatos on one side and Iowas on the other would be such fun.

• Funny 1

Players
2,335 posts
20,591 battles

I was playing exclusively axis ships yesterday on the PTS and it’s actually very easy to win as the axis, provided you have no more than 2 bots on your team, there certainly were more people wanting to play allies but only twice did I have teams bulked out with bots.

Still considering the limited choice of ships available the team line ups do get very battleship heavy; 5 Bismarck’s vs 4 NCs & a Richelieu plus a couple of DDs per team is normal. 

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
3,922 battles
7 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

They really seemed to thought this one thru as well.

Im guessing most players will play Allies.....?

My clan used to run events where we tried Axis vs Allied battles, and the Axis team always got shafted. The Allied combination of smoke and radar was totally dominant. The Axis team couldn't get close enough to use Hydro, as they were perma spotted by constant radar and then melted or blown out of the water as they tried to close the distance.

Never thought i would ever say this but ... This might actually turn out to be a mode where having CV's is needed to restore the balance :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,690 posts
18,027 battles

I'm disgusted that they somehow included Chapayev and Kutusov... like WHY? these ships wheren't even an idea when the war ended...

Seriously, face it WG, USSR navy was utter ****. So leave them out.

• Cool 14

Players
6,674 posts
3 hours ago, SodaBubbles said:

Was the image removed? 

If you are referring to the empty space in OP's post, Firefox is having an 'issue' with pasted content, been going on for a few weeks now. If I want to see what's on this page I have to switch to another browser.

On topic, no idea what this is about as I'm seeing blank space, but I'm telling my fleet turn the boilers on, swap the decks and ready for battle! :Smile_izmena:

@OldschoolGaming_YouTube I don't plan to fall in with the majority :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 3

Players
123 posts
1,280 battles

No Nelson, DoY, KGV, QE and all the UK bb's who beared the brunt of the war ?

this is Big Hunt with a small historical flavor

ill pass

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,195 posts
12,830 battles
6 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

If you are referring to the empty space in OP's post, Firefox is having an 'issue' with pasted content, been going on for a few weeks now. If I want to see what's on this page I have to switch to another browser.

On topic, no idea what this is about as I'm seeing blank space, but I'm telling my fleet turn the boilers on, swap the decks and ready for battle! :Smile_izmena:

@OldschoolGaming_YouTube I don't plan to fall in with the majority :Smile_trollface:

Its about a thing many streamers has pointed out that in the new Axis vs Allies mode it favours the Allies in a almost stupid way where all the Allies ships has all the radars, all the overmatch, all the AA, all the US DD smokes while the Axis has no overmatch, no AA, no radars etc etc. So its like a farmers team playing the Harlem Globetrotters ..................... with one arm tied behind their backs. 

So in short, another well thought thru thing coming out of WG, just like CV rework, captain rework, Smolensks, Thunderer, Dead Eye, Austin etc etc etc.

So im guessing it will be like Co-op with all the real players on the Allies team and the Axis will be filled up with 1 tryhard and rest Bots. It just amazes me how you get the feeling that there is ZERO thought, testing involved in anything this company does and their game is still afloat.

• Cool 7

Players
2,335 posts
20,591 battles
21 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/122

Hopefully that will link to the dedicated article and ship list. I have been trying it on the PTS playing Axis exclusively, so far 6 wins out of 8 matches, but there certainly are less people playing as Axis ships so those 2 losses were because over half the Axis team were bots vs an all human team. It’s still early days so maybe more will become clear over the weekend of testing but judging from what I have seen thus far it’s actually a lot of fun. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,674 posts
13 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Its about a thing many streamers has pointed out that in the new Axis vs Allies mode it favours the Allies in a almost stupid way where all the Allies ships has all the radars, all the overmatch, all the AA, all the US DD smokes while the Axis has no overmatch, no AA, no radars etc etc. So its like a farmers team playing the Harlem Globetrotters ..................... with one arm tied behind their backs. 

So in short, another well thought thru thing coming out of WG, just like CV rework, captain rework, Smolensks, Thunderer, Dead Eye, Austin etc etc etc.

So im guessing it will be like Co-op with all the real players on the Allies team and the Axis will be filled up with 1 tryhard and rest Bots. It just amazes me how you get the feeling that there is ZERO thought, testing involved in anything this company does and their game is still afloat.

So... we are now moving from our regular Russian bias to Allied bias... :Smile_unsure:... what an interesting tectonic shift...

2 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/122

Hopefully that will link to the dedicated article and ship list. I have been trying it on the PTS playing Axis exclusively, so far 6 wins out of 8 matches, but there certainly are less people playing as Axis ships so those 2 losses were because over half the Axis team were bots vs an all human team. It’s still early days so maybe more will become clear over the weekend of testing but judging from what I have seen thus far it’s actually a lot of fun. 

Cheers!

TBH, I often feel like preferring bots to human team mates. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
821 posts
2,304 battles

My Enterprise has a Japanese Captain so which side would she be on?

• Funny 4

[-TPF-]
Players
4,669 posts
19,137 battles
17 minutes ago, EnacheV said:

No Nelson, DoY, KGV, QE and all the UK bb's who beared the brunt of the war ?

this is Big Hunt with a small historical flavor

ill pass

To try and be constructive - Big Hunt (i.e. an event) with a historical flavour is exactly what I want, so please don't criticise WG for that.

What WG is ignoring, however, is the feedback from the playerbase (who can see this format won't balance very well) and, most worryingly, the feedback from Clan players who have already tried this format and know the problems. It should be Tier VII/VI (Allies) vs Tier VIII (Axis), asymmetric style. 

2 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

I have been trying it on the PTS playing Axis exclusively, so far 6 wins out of 8 matches, but there certainly are less people playing as Axis ships so those 2 losses were because over half the Axis team were bots vs an all human team.

Well, I do have a Bismarck, Hipper and Shokaku to finish grinding, so this is welcome news. 

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
2,156 posts
15,571 battles
24 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Including partial ancestry (i.e. Japanese and at least one other ethnic/racial group), there are about 1,304,286 Japanese Americans, which includes 763,325 Japanese Americans with pure Japanese ancestry, according to the 2010 census.

:Smile_trollface:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,669 posts
19,137 battles
34 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

To be historically accurate - like another Enterprise notable, George Takai, they would have been interned. 

• Cool 3

[ALYEN]
Players
2,609 posts
4,358 battles

The problem is the tier restriction. I don't see a reason to do this solely on tier 8 when normal randoms have a 2 tier spread in the MM. Using tier 7 as well would improve the Axis side while not making much of an advantage to Allies. And the Russians would gain actual ships that existed during the war (Leningrad, Minsk).

On the Axis side, having to deal with US + UK DDs and radar and CVs will be a nuisance. The Allies only have to worry about CVs.

Beta Tester
3,476 posts
4,000 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I mean, the Axis side being so extremely shafted in this gamemode is perhaps the most realistic thing in the game right now. 

That, and their frequently gorgeous visual designs. The Germans are easily the best looking ship line in the game.

It's probably no coincidence that the Nazi uniforms were designed largely by Hugo Boss...

:Smile_veryhappy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,791 posts
15,172 battles

Just tried it as the enterprise and did 127k damage.

Axis team had 3 bots and still pulled off the win. My team evaporated!

Either these bots have been made better or my team was..........

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,303 posts
30,633 battles
3 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

I'm disgusted that they somehow included Chapayev and Kutusov... like WHY? these ships wheren't even an idea when the war ended...

Chapayev was pre-war design, at least what we have in the game in the form of Lazo. First ship of the class, Frunze, was laid down on August 29th, 1939  and launched on December 31st, 1940. Two more ships were launched before German invasion, Chapayev and Kuybyshev, with another one, Zheleznyakov just three days after German attack on USSR, but due invasion all works on the ships was stopped. On the photo of Leningrad shipyard, from June 26th, 1941, taken by German planes you can see Chapayev sister Chkalov beside hull of Battleship Sovietsky Soyuz

BalticShipyard26June1941.jpg

Hulls of Ordzhinikidze and Sverdlov were captured by Germans but no work was done on them and were scrapped after the war. 5 ships of the class were finished under revisited design after the war.

So yes, what we have as T8 Chapayev represent ship in its post-war configuration. But original design pre-date ww2. But Chapayev was much more than just idea during ww2. I'm not saying that it should be included in this mode, as personally I don't care, but we can at least stick to the fact when we are talking about them.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this