Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Odinius85

Value of super testers

19 comments in this topic

[BATH]
Players
20 posts
2,944 battles

So, I was just in a battle where there were two super testers, one in the Hyuga and one in the Weimar. In a division. So, us unwashed masses who have never played these ships don't really know the strengths and weaknesses of them so any testing with WGs spreadsheet balancing is pointless. So why are these ships not handed out at random to potatoes like me, unicums, middle of the road players and all things in between as rentals for 1-2 days? That would give numbers that are worth something. 

• Bad 1

Players
3,184 posts
14,794 battles

anybody can apply to the supertester program, the point is they have to report back to WG, it's not just a matter of playing the ships, believe it or not it is organised...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

In supertester program it sais you need good understanding of game mechanics and you don't have to be unicum. But it's hard to have good understanding and knowledge of game mechanics and not to be good player...

• Cool 1

[COMFY]
Players
1,530 posts
8,826 battles

Problem with STs is that not half but majority of them is trash. People with at least basic understanding of game mechanics should be allowed to be one.

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
31,027 posts
15,713 battles
2 hours ago, Odinius85 said:

So, I was just in a battle where there were two super testers, one in the Hyuga and one in the Weimar. In a division. So, us unwashed masses who have never played these ships don't really know the strengths and weaknesses of them so any testing with WGs spreadsheet balancing is pointless. So why are these ships not handed out at random to potatoes like me, unicums, middle of the road players and all things in between as rentals for 1-2 days? That would give numbers that are worth something. 

Because they are....

Anyone can apply for the job. You just have to meet the requirements.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,932 posts
21,674 battles

The point of STs is to gather preliminary data for the almighty spreadsheet. You can rest assured that whatever actual feedback they give is ignored as usual.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 4

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,202 posts
9,990 battles
4 hours ago, Odinius85 said:

The Reason they dont give these Ships out to the General Public for Testing.

(And also the Reason why Testers are put under NDA)

Is because vast Majority of People tend to Ignore the Work in Progress Part.

So People not only immediately Jump out at Overpowered or Underpowered Ships, throwing a Forum Tantrum or worse even Spreading it to Twitter and Youtube as if its Final.

They also often cause Misunderstandings. Because People not following the Changes end up only with that old Info and get completely wrong Ideas about the Ship actually released later.

Furthermore. Using Random Players as Testers and asking for their Feedback creates an Expectation by these Players that they are Listned too.

Many People will make very Detailed Suggestions based on their Opinion and then end up Sulking if WG did not listen to it.

Which for WG is a Lose Lose. Because if they do something nobody Suggested or Disagree with the Assessment. Everyone is Sulking.

And even if they take Someones Suggestion. Everyone else is Sulking as they will have very Different Ideas.

• Cool 3

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,209 posts
9,490 battles
10 hours ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

Problem with STs is that not half but majority of them is trash.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Most ST have blue and purple PR ratings. And perfoming average or bad in a test ship does not mean that this is a bad player. Most people will never understand that testing is not the same as just playing (as good as you can). Testing means to try different builds, different tactics regardless whether they seems logical or recommendable or not. 

12 hours ago, Odinius85 said:

Playing test ships on the live server is the least point of being a ST. Just because the normal playerbase can only observe ST-work there, does not mean that there isn't a lot of other work too. 

And I would love to see the massive whine threads about how difficult testing new ships is, because everybody from the enemy team will focus you down. You are capping A? Right, expect to be shot from three BB at D despite them having your team mates broadsside in front of them. 

7 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

The point of STs is to gather preliminary data for the almighty spreadsheet. You can rest assured that whatever actual feedback they give is ignored as usual.

This seems sad, but true. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
3,922 battles

As I understand it, they don't just get to play the boats as they want. They are directed to play them in specific ways as well to gather data for the 'spreadsheet'. And of course when everyone see's a new test ship on the red team it all gets a bit ....

seagulls-mine.gif.abc3acfbcc483603aaf4342ddd9dceb2.gif

Players
2,797 posts
33,716 battles

The  thread title and what you are asking conflict each other. Discussing the value of supertesters is a waste of time as it is not something we can measure. Besides, the ones who select them need to think about their value, not others. 

In the end,

BE169A5C-E540-4E14-B888-D416442CC2D3.jpeg

• Cool 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,726 posts
11,813 battles

tbh I think it would be a good idea that after supertesters and CCs some random players would get it for play so they could see them in battle by the public and how it fits. But you know. This to work you need a developer who cares.

[CATS]
Players
31,027 posts
15,713 battles
15 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

tbh I think it would be a good idea that after supertesters and CCs some random players would get it for play so they could see them in battle by the public and how it fits. But you know. This to work you need a developer who cares.

What would be the difference to being played by supertesters?

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,209 posts
9,490 battles
30 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

some random players would get it for play so they could see them in battle by the public and how it fits.

What would be the value for testing? There is non in this idea. 

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Players
385 posts
16,840 battles
14 hours ago, Odinius85 said:

Since every information you need is published in the dev blog you can actually know the strenghts and weaknesses of these ships. But that requires some kind of interest and work from you (reading i.e.).

• Cool 1

[COMFY]
Players
1,530 posts
8,826 battles
1 hour ago, principat121 said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. Most ST have blue and purple PR ratings. And perfoming average or bad in a test ship does not mean that this is a bad player. Most people will never understand that testing is not the same as just playing (as good as you can). Testing means to try different builds, different tactics regardless whether they seems logical or recommendable or not.  

I perfectly understand that but I see and know actually people across 2 servers that have far from average stats and are STs. As I said at least basic understanding of the game and its mechanics should be a requirement.

Also a lot of guys are lazy or simply use the benefits of program just to play new ships and don't really give a crap about testing and it takes months for WG to actually remove them.

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,209 posts
9,490 battles
1 hour ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

but I see and know actually people across 2 servers that have far from average stats and are STs. As I said at least basic understanding of the game and its mechanics should be a requirement.

Quite contrary. There are way too many too good ST. For a better display of the game population the ST-programme needs more average and sub-average players. Esp. when it comes to testing new mechanics in early stages far before any "normal" player get any info about them at all. 

1 hour ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

Also a lot of guys are lazy or simply use the benefits of program just to play new ships and don't really give a crap about testing and it takes months for WG to actually remove them.

Again quite contrary. Wargaming tighten and professionalised the ST-programme alot in the last year. Inactive ST who doesn't fulfill the requirements are very fast expelled. The ST-programme isn't about testing new ships on the live server. Maybe this little secret will help: Test ships on the live server is just a kind of reward for doing your actually ST-work. 

And just because there are a handful of "foul fruits" doesn't spoil the whole basket of Supertesters...

edit: If you have no further arguements other then downvoting, I would recommend to apply as ST and get first hand experience for yourself. Should I recommend you?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,202 posts
9,990 battles
8 hours ago, nambr9 said:

@Sunleader whats Up With Random capital Letters? :Smile_trollface:

There are no Capital Letters in my Post :)

image.png.6a56e15bfb06cd8215e3688d21492b57.png

• Funny 3

Players
62 posts
18,190 battles
18 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

As someone once said.  When WG reads feedback, the response is generally "New toilet paper, thank you".

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this