Sign in to follow this  
TheWarJaC

PT 0.10.3 - Axis vs. Allies

44 comments in this topic

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles

Axis vs. Allies

A new temporary battle type—Axis vs. Allies—which is inspired by historical naval battles, will become available to players. Battles in this mode will involve only ships that were actually built and their analogues. One of the teams will comprise only Axis ships, and the other one will only have Allied ships.

Teams will be formed based on the ships of certain nations:

• Axis: German, Italian, and Japanese ships.
  • Allies: American, Soviet, French, British, Pan-Asian, and European ships.

The battles are held playing Tier VIII ships in a 8 vs. 8 format.

List of available ships

• You can disable the display of camouflages for analogues of the existing ships (Black, Azur Lane, etc.) with the help of a special filter in thein the Port.

38d75cd8-8be2-11eb-8635-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

391d5c7e-8be2-11eb-ad97-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

• The teams don't need to mirror each other in terms of ship types, except for aircraft carriers. Each team can have only one aircraft carrier. The numbers of ships of other types can be different by one ship

[OHRIP]
Players
1,196 posts
9,899 battles

Was hyped for this mode but it has bots and unevenly distributed, so useless mode.

And uneven distribution of DDs and BBs, ok forget about it, dead in the water.

[HTBT]
Players
2 posts
1,418 battles

I do appreciate a change of pace such as this, but as it is at the moment, the mode is incredibly unbalanced even as a concept. At tier 8, all the Radar-equipped ships are heavily skewed towards the Allied side, and all the Axis cruisers are kiting-oriented, so there cannot be a winning strategy except hope to outlast the Allies side. I suggest expanding the tier list downwards so we can have tier 6-8 matches and bring some more variety and changed tactics, while still retaining historically inspired matchups.

Also, a technical problem with the Omaha: the #9 and #8 turrets seem misalligned, spin 360 degrees and clip into the ship hull, though they function normally. I believe the turrets are placed on the wrong side. Present on both hulls with both gun modules.

omaha1.png

omaha2.png

omaha3.png

omaha4.png

Players
2,304 posts
20,563 battles

I'm really enjoying it, the only thing that can be a bit frustrating is when one team is 2/3 bots. However surprisingly the radar issue has not been that noticeable, to me at least. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the community adapt considering the rather common Bismarck push strategy.

Players
134 posts
23,455 battles

On PTS too many bots, and too few players playing AXIS. On live server this will be improve. Post WWII ships have no place in this battles though.

[WATR]
Players
2 posts

I've enjoyed playing Axis and Allies however I can see a few problems with this mode:

1) I can see it having limited replay. The problem is the lack of variety in the ships available in this mode - only tier VIII.

2) Due to issue 1) there are too many ships of the same type, e.g. I had 5 Bismarks in one game, which makes "realism" impossible and contradicts the main goal of the battle mode.

3) Too many ships in the mode that did not take part in WWII - again takes away the realism.

My suggestions to fix this mode is to create 2 new battle modes, first is "Axis and Allies WWI" which contains only REAL ships used in WW1. Second is, you 've guessed it, "Axis and Allies WWII" which contains only REAL ships used in WW2. This opens up so many more ships to the modes and keeps it realistic;  no Graf Zepplins, Chapayevs, Olands etc - only those used in the actual conflicts are available. To keep the sides balanced you could restrict the number of certain types of ships, e.g. only 1 each of Yamato/Mushashi, 1 each of Bismark/Tirpitz, etc.

Maybe increase the number of players from 7 to 12 and use the normal map sizes?

[VETS]
Players
145 posts

Great idea! People like playing it. Only thing is the exclusion of a lot of ships. Probably to do with them not being there in WW2?

[OHRIP]
Players
1,196 posts
9,899 battles

I think it is a good mode for playing Tier VIII being free from the constant fun&engagingtm uptiering against TX (carriers).

There are some fatal flaws which will make mode fail if it is impelemented in this way:

• No bots, otherwise the mode is pointless
  • Ship classes must be mirrored evenly between opposing teams
  • Either give Axis radar or remove radar ships

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
14 hours ago, mel1111 said:

Great idea! People like playing it. Only thing is the exclusion of a lot of ships. Probably to do with them not being there in WW2?

Thanks, Captain. Yes, to better fit the lore of the game-mode, we are using only ships that were built and their analogues. 

Screenshot 2021-03-29 121127.png

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
On 3/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, HelldiverGr said:

On PTS too many bots, and too few players playing AXIS. On live server this will be improve. Post WWII ships have no place in this battles though.

Hi HelldiverGR, 
As you know, the PT server has much fewer active-players respect the main one. Therefore, to guarantee a quicker and decent MM, using bots is inevitable. As you mentioned, things will be completely different when the game-mode is going to release on the main-server. 

Players
1 post
1,022 battles

I was really looking forward to it when the mode was announced, but ultimately Axis vs. Allies is a disappointment.

But this mode has still some potential.

I agree with most of the people here.

But I see also some other problems:

1. Due to the point system, this mode does nQot offer much variety and very unrealistic scenarios can arise. E.g. I have seen in some rounds that a team lost due to the opponent's points even though the opponent only had one ship left (which camped at the othe side of the map) and the other team had 4 or more ships such a scenario is unrealistic. This makes the mode look more like a cheap copy of the normal random battle.
  2. Depending on the map, you could also create different "tasks" that decide whether to win or lose.
  3. It is also very unfair if a team can get a cruiser for a battleship.

There are more points that can be listed but most of them have already been mentioned. I hope that Wargaming will take the criticism received seriously, otherwise I think, that nobody wants to play the new mode.

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,932 battles

Only time Axis wins is when there is no CV on the Allies side and all the Allied DDs are braindead idiots, while Axis have decent DD players...

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
On 3/25/2021 at 10:49 PM, BlueBlin said:

I do appreciate a change of pace such as this, but as it is at the moment, the mode is incredibly unbalanced even as a concept. At tier 8, all the Radar-equipped ships are heavily skewed towards the Allied side, and all the Axis cruisers are kiting-oriented, so there cannot be a winning strategy except hope to outlast the Allies side. I suggest expanding the tier list downwards so we can have tier 6-8 matches and bring some more variety and changed tactics, while still retaining historically inspired matchups.

Hi BlueBlin,

With the temporary mode Axis versus Allies, we are trying to shape a new experience for players: where they can play more immersive battles inspired by the historical ones. That's why, as you know, the ships eligible follow the alliances established during WWII, and you will be able to play only with warships that existed for real. 

About the lack of Radar on the Axis side, we will monitor how this will impact the gameplay experience of the mode. If we detect some relevant problems with it, we will consider applying some changes. 

[ALYEN]
Players
2,579 posts
4,340 battles
2 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

That's why, as you know, the ships eligible follow the alliances established during WWII, and you will be able to play only with warships that existed for real. 

It was pointed out many  times in a few forum threads that that criteria does not actually reflect the selected ships. Unless by "existed for real" you mean in any state. But then we are missing the Kiev, Amagi and several other ships. Or some ships should not take part at all.

[AEGAD]
Players
10 posts
4,311 battles
3 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Hi BlueBlin,

With the temporary mode Axis versus Allies, we are trying to shape a new experience for players: where they can play more immersive battles inspired by the historical ones. That's why, as you know, the ships eligible follow the alliances established during WWII, and you will be able to play only with warships that existed for real. 

About the lack of Radar on the Axis side, we will monitor how this will impact the gameplay experience of the mode. If we detect some relevant problems with it, we will consider applying some changes. 

Dropping it to T7 will increase the amount of ships available, while reducing the availability of radar, while also increasing the standard and different types of play. 

If you have to have carriers available, then add in the T6 ones so at least the T7 ships have a chance without having the usual CV issues. 

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
On 3/25/2021 at 10:49 PM, BlueBlin said:

Also, a technical problem with the Omaha: the #9 and #8 turrets seem misalligned, spin 360 degrees and clip into the ship hull, though they function normally. I believe the turrets are placed on the wrong side. Present on both hulls with both gun modules.

omaha1.png

omaha2.png

Ah, sorry for the spam, Captain, 

Regarding this, could you please open a ticket with our Customer Support, including a WGcheck, these screenshots, and an uncut reply? 

[BASIC]
Players
798 posts
21,838 battles

IMO this mode should be played with T7 or even T6 ships. Royal Navy really needs stronger representation there.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
16 hours ago, koliber_1984 said:

IMO this mode should be played with T7 or even T6 ships. Royal Navy really needs stronger representation there.

What else you suggest could be improved?  😊

WG Staff
2,492 posts
926 battles
23 minutes ago, koliber_1984 said:

No CVs :Smile_trollface:

haha. Ok, that suggestion may be considered more universal. Something more specific for the Axis vs Allies mode? 😊

Players
1,742 posts
23,058 battles
On 3/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, TheWarJaC said:

Thanks, Captain. Yes, to better fit the lore of the game-mode, we are using only ships that were built and their analogues. 

Screenshot 2021-03-29 121127.png

Still, what have 1950´s ships like Kutuzov and Chappy lost there? 

I mean, by this definition you could and should give Axis Yamato f.e. 
Also RU can have the only high tier non-fake ship: Tashkent. 

• Cool 3

Players
2,304 posts
20,563 battles

I did really enjoy this mode, the only thing that could be frustrating was when over half the team were bots this mostly happened when playing axis but not always, with any luck this was more pronounced due to it being the PTS and wouldn't be so obvious on the live server.

I assume there will be some sort of rewards created for this event to encourage people to play them, bearing that in mind I would suggest rewards be based around not only playing axis or allied ships, but also ship classes otherwise you can easily imagine the line queues of Bismarck's waiting to play, as well as a lack of axis cruisers to match against the allied ones. 

Players
1 post
1,843 battles

The points stayed at 300 the whole game, and when all the ships of our team were killed, the game didnt end.

Sign in to follow this