Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

Here's how to reduce toxicity by 500%

97 comments in this topic

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Pay people. No really, 3 day chat bans don't mean anything to anyone. Here's how I'd do it :

No profanity in chat all year = 5 supercontainers for the anniversary event.
Got reported and weegee manually confirmed profanity in chat? No 5 supercontainers for you.
I got kids, it works. People running their mouth in chat are kids, it'll work.

• Cool 16
  • Funny 7
  • Bad 3

[EIRE]
Players
138 posts
9,851 battles

So people will start intentionally reporting people to stop them getting containers (toxicity increases 10 fold) and it's not feasible for WG to check each complaint manually. How about instead people stop being offended by random internet people calling them names, if someone is bothered by that then I honestly don't know how they survive day to day in this world.

• Cool 9

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
Just now, kieodox said:

So people will start intentionally reporting people to stop them getting containers (toxicity increases 10 fold) and it's not feasible for WG to check each complaint manually.

I said *if* abuse was manually confirmed. Weegee does this all the time. Also I'm not offended by anything, I'm actually somewhat useful so I don't get abuse :fish_cute_2:
It's a suggestion because I do see people going wild in chat, usually potatoes yelling at fellow potatoes.
It's a method by which nobody loses anything, you can only gain something by not being a douchebag.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles
43 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I said *if* abuse was manually confirmed. Weegee does this all the time.

*Press X to doubt*

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2

Players
2,130 posts

Reward systems for behavior won't work. The NA server had this a couple of years ago, it was just useless and did exactly zero to improve anything, so they dumped it again after less than a year. Now you think they introduce it again in a much bigger scale? Yeah good luck with that.

• Cool 1

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles

Alternatively WG could add a simple option in settings to censor ‘naughty’ words in chat, with the default being ‘snowflake mode’. This is by far the simplest option.

i do suspect however that it is not swearing that triggers people into reporting folk, it is that they dont like being called out and have no intention of improving. Instead they spam reports for misbehaviour in chat. By that measure, being continously reported for playing poorly should banish them automatically to coop for X games...

In one game tonight i was double reported for pointing out i need help fighting the enemy team in our cap and why did we have a full hp amagi on the j line hiding. I was top scorer and in the thick of the battle trying to defend pretty much alone so it probably wasnt my performance i was reported for.

I think we all need to recognise the report system is broken and not fit for purpose, a simple option to filter certain words would by far be the easiest option.

• Cool 6

Players
290 posts
4,272 battles
1 hour ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Pay people. No really, 3 day chat bans don't mean anything to anyone. Here's how I'd do it :

Got reported and weegee manually confirmed profanity in chat? No 5 supercontainers for you.

I've seen this being implemented in an old MMORPG called Adventure Quest World. I don't remember if you got anything by not being chat restricted for an entire year but you did get a shiny new badge. Works quite well.

I'm all for it. :cap_like:

[NWP]
Players
3,660 posts
18,027 battles

As if WG has the staffing to check each and every report for bad behaviour in chat... :fish_palm:

[_I_]
Players
1,022 posts
20,807 battles
3 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'd sacrifice those easily to tell CVs my opinion.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
14,981 battles
41 minutes ago, skoebiedoe1 said:

Just remove chat ....problem solved

Or just behave?

• Cool 5

Players
3,942 posts
20,116 battles
4 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Wanna lower the toxicity? Introduce a proper report system with significant punishment. Right now "playing poorly"doesnt have any impact. Make it so, If someone gets reported due to poor play and cant avrg 1k base xp, give them a penalty and force them to play either coop or low tiers (max t4). So instead of flaming, people would just report that guy which misplayed. 

That was the first idea which came to my mind. 

• Cool 4

Players
2,304 posts
20,563 battles

I see the logic but I don’t think it would work, could you imagine all the crying of people who were chat banned that they are missing out.

Sure some people are capable of the maturity of thought to realise oh well I exploded and this is the consequence of that, but quite a lot would not be able to accept any fault on their part. 

[NECRO]
Players
3,081 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, ghostbuster_ sagte:

Wanna lower the toxicity? Introduce a proper report system with significant punishment. Right now "playing poorly"doesnt have any impact. Make it so, If someone gets reported due to poor play and cant avrg 1k base xp, give them a penalty and forcem them to play either coop or low tiers (max t4). So instead of flaming, people would just report that guy which misplayed. 

That was the first idea which came to my mind. 

Wouldn't it be easier to skip the dubious report system and tie the outcome directly to those X BXP? I mean, even the worst software should be able to recognize "X BXP" and do "action Y".

Players
290 posts
4,272 battles
15 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

I see the logic but I don’t think it would work, could you imagine all the crying of people who were chat banned that they are missing out.

Sure some people are capable of the maturity of thought to realise oh well I exploded and this is the consequence of that, but quite a lot would not be able to accept any fault on their part. 

League of Legends has a similar system where being chat banned/temporary account ban for toxicity locks you out of ranked rewards for that season. They also have an honor system where consistent good behavior is rewarded with some pretty nice in-game loot, which increases the longer you've been a good boi. "Dishonorable" people on the other hand will earn nothing. Now this hasn't completely stopped toxicity as a lot people general just don't care, but it's a step in the right direction and gives people some incentive.

I wouldn't be worried about people crying about missing out. Crying for being toxic isn't going to get any sympathy from anyone, so let them cry all they want. You're mad that you didn't get any rewards? Great, well don't be a douchebag next time. I don't see why we have to coddle toddlers.

4 hours ago, kieodox said:

So people will start intentionally reporting people to stop them getting containers (toxicity increases 10 fold) and it's not feasible for WG to check each complaint manually. How about instead people stop being offended by random internet people calling them names, if someone is bothered by that then I honestly don't know how they survive day to day in this world.

As for being wrongly reported, there's an easy fix for that. WG support has a system where you can repeal sentences if you think you were wrongly reported.

Or if it's a one time thing where you exploded and you're not a generally toxic person; then there should be a system where you can redeem yourself and still earn said rewards after passing a certain threshold. Team-based multiplayer games tend to get frustrating and gets the best of us sometimes to the point where we lash out and that's fine. Just don't make it a habit. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,652 posts
19,101 battles

Just implement an automatic profanity filter and count the number of removed words per player. Too many removed words in a few hours? Have some time out.

Limit divisions to one collective karma action per match. I've seen far too much collective toxicity from divisions trolling other players. And no to the supercontainer idea, because it would excite troll divisions when it came to supercontainer issuing time. There would be an increase in incitement and harassment because it gives some people a kick to exercise power over others in the form of casual cruelty. Winding people up so much that they harm their own interests is classic bullying behaviour and this would empower it. 

Oh, and introduce an option to disable port chat. We might have asked about that before.

Players
2,130 posts
38 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

I think those who are chat banned don't care as much about it as you think. The outcry of the "brave people" would be much louder, when they get abused by the report system by spoilsports or people who just like to piss off others, simply because they can and the crappy report system make the abuse possible.

You can not build a reward system on the base of a rotten and crappy report system. It just doesn't work. It's like trying to build a mansion on a swamp.

• Cool 3

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles
10 minutes ago, Communist_Loli said:

WG support has a system where you can repeal sentences if you think you were wrongly reported.

:Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 2

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,901 battles
12 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Just implement an automatic profanity filter and count the number of removed words per player. Too many removed words in a few hours? Have some time out.

Erm, why? If its filtered what difference does it make? So it would count the amount of :etc_swear: and STILL chat ban people even though the words are censored? :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
245 posts
945 battles

Get rid of CVs. That would remove much toxicity, since so many toxic remarks are directed at the CV player. Alternatively, WG could actually balance them (hahahaha. who am I kidding?).

Failing these utopian solutions, the reward system has promise, but WG is always too stingy with rewards, that is why the NA program failed. One reward that might work is a 50% off coupon every sixty days that a player goes without actually being toxic in chat. Then WG would sell more stuff and players would have a real goal to work toward.

But for some reason WG hates coupons, even though the marginal cost of generating a new premium ship or premium time is nearly zero. Oh well.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
3,942 posts
20,116 battles
1 hour ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to skip the dubious report system and tie the outcome directly to those X BXP? I mean, even the worst software should be able to recognize "X BXP" and do "action Y".

and where does toxicity stop if you exclude reporting system completely? the goal is removing toxicity, right? 

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
171 posts
18,048 battles

Take your own responsibility. Behave. 

• Cool 1

[DSNF]
Players
44 posts
11,407 battles
5 hours ago, kieodox said:

Or how about they grow up and treat others as they would if they met in real life... 

Your response is what would be expected of a child who thinks typing swear words is cool... 

The simple answer is to just turn off chat entirely and ignore the little attention seeking cry babies. 

That way their drivel is just a waste of their time. 

In the real world if you act like a doorknob you get treated like one... A lesson you'll obviously learn one day. Just hope it doesn't hurt you much. 

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
3,081 posts
Vor 37 Minuten, ghostbuster_ sagte:

and where does toxicity stop if you exclude reporting system completely? the goal is removing toxicity, right? 

No reports, no toxicity :)

Sign in to follow this