Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Good captain/ship build for Wooster?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,193 posts
12,822 battles

I'm always struggling with captain builds on my cruisers since the rework. Haven't touched Wooster in ages and wondering what builds you are running these days. Seems like IFHE is good at least......

What modules do you run?

Beta Tester
2,193 posts
12,822 battles
7 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

image.thumb.png.a82f21412fa2338374db35d60c6d4ed9.png

IFHE isnt that viable anymore as it ruins your firechance.

Tell that to this guy

I do kind of like garanteed damage over RNG based fires and with the firerate you will set fires as well. Is the rudder/engine so bad you need Last stand?

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles

I wouldnt take IFHE either. What can you actually pen these days?

- German BBs - basicly no gain, tip of Bow + stern (if you can hit that in the first place)

- Russian BBs - Tip of the Bow + Stern

- IJN - Hizen/Amagi yes, others... again Bow/stern and upper belt, if you can hit them. Might just land on the deck for shatters

- US - Bow/stern

- Italian - Bow/stern

- French - everywhere, if you get to shoot them

- UK - everywhere, even a bigger IF then the french ones... farming a Thunderer in spawn, when is that ever gonna happen? Conq and Lion have super heals...

Forget something? Couple of PA-premiums which are Alsace/Izumo copies, so same applies to them.

And not to mention, lots of T10 only battles, which makes IFHE even less useful, because you have a bit better chance to pen T8 BBs, but if they arent in the game in the first place, well, then its no luck.

Im not even sure where i would even pick IFHE these days, maybe on T8 CLs... I think IFHE became totaly useless. Dont need it against Cruisers and WG releasing more and more BBs with armor that can withstand IFHE-HE, thus reducing the chance to get a BB which you can pen. And those that you can pen, will just camp in spawn because they have no armor AND no HP :cap_fainting:

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
3,119 posts
10,741 battles
3 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

Tell that to this guy

I do kind of like garanteed damage over RNG based fires and with the firerate you will set fires as well. Is the rudder/engine so bad you need Last stand?

Hahaha yeah I kind of expected it already. ;) and with that logic, IFHE might indeed be the better solution. But strictly looking at armor values you're up against (such as most bbs you face in TX) you don't gain that much extra pen at the cost of a lot of potential fires. As I see dfens has elaborated on already. 

It does seem like a personal preference and not a "be-all-end-all" kind of thing. For example, I know for a fact that John_the_ruthless from O7 doesn't use IFHE on worcester as I saw him stream a couple of days ago. 

I'd suggest give both a try and see what nets you the best results! In the end you're the best judge of your own results, right? 

Ps. I took last stand because I often kite open water and I don't want to get my rudder stuck after I just repaired f.e. Necessary? Not really. But I hate dying from silly things like "my rudder is stuck" or "my engine got broken". 

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
3 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

I wouldnt take IFHE either. What can you actually pen these days?

- German BBs - basicly no gain, tip of Bow + stern (if you can hit that in the first place)

- Russian BBs - Tip of the Bow + Stern

- IJN - Hizen/Amagi yes, others... again Bow/stern and upper belt, if you can hit them. Might just land on the deck for shatters

- US - Bow/stern

- Italian - Bow/stern

- French - everywhere, if you get to shoot them

- UK - everywhere, even a bigger IF then the french ones... farming a Thunderer in spawn, when is that ever gonna happen? Conq and Lion have super heals...

Stopped taking IFHE even on IJN 100mms for this reason, there's not much left to farm with IFHE, the BBs you could reliably farm with IFHE sit in spawn (thunderer) and/or have a superheal (conqueror)
Or they're generally sitting too far back for you to ever shoot them. If battleships are making love to the edge of the map, there's only cruisers to farm and you don't need IFHE for that.

[VIBES]
Players
861 posts
20,167 battles

As someone who enjoys the Wooster quite a bit (though I'm far from good in her), I echo DFens_666's points.

IFHE ruins your fire chance, which against many targets is the only thing you can rely on, and it only makes you better against British and French BBs, basically. And British BBs are mostly backline campers.

With your shell output, if you don't take IFHE the fires won't really depend on RNG, as you'll essentially set one on any target you get to shoot at for a few seconds.

On the other hand, it is pretty RNG-based which enemy BBs will be on your flank, and against many IFHE is just a net loss. Don't take it when you can take RPF instead, a usefull skill to ambush DDs and to know when one is flanking you and spotting you for their BBs.

I wouldn't bother with the radar duration module, as the range is too short for you to be able to use it in full (never mind that you should melt the DD quickly enough, if it's closer than 9 km). Then again, if you take Preventative Maintenance there is less need for the usual Engine+Steering protection module, so if you have coal to spare...

The way I see it, Engine Mod + Concealment Mod is the way to go, but you might want to try steering in place of either, to do some open-water gunboating when your cover is blown.

[ACIER]
[ACIER]
Players
278 posts
2,966 battles
Il y a 21 heures, GarrusBrutus a dit :

image.thumb.png.a82f21412fa2338374db35d60c6d4ed9.png

IFHE isnt that viable anymore as it ruins your firechance.

We need the old IFHE back, my CL is waiting. It's boring to play and pray for fires (RNG hate me with fires) :/

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
3 minutes ago, MyAngelAkagi said:

(RNG hate me with fires) :/

Tell me about it :cap_old:

image.png.99613180731c46716c217e5d2d6fffd4.png

soon 2 years without one :cap_fainting:

• Funny 2

[LEEUW]
Players
3,119 posts
10,741 battles
1 hour ago, MyAngelAkagi said:

We need the old IFHE back, my CL is waiting. It's boring to play and pray for fires (RNG hate me with fires) :/

Cant have such firestarters in World of Bbabies.

[ACIER]
[ACIER]
Players
278 posts
2,966 battles
Il y a 9 minutes, GarrusBrutus a dit :

Cant have such firestarters in World of Bbabies.

Bbabies ? 

[LEEUW]
Players
3,119 posts
10,741 battles
39 minutes ago, MyAngelAkagi said:

Bbabies ? 

BB(abies) - A nickname for your typical average WoWs-BB main, the largest group of players to whom Wargaming seems to cater the game.

• Cool 2

[ACIER]
[ACIER]
Players
278 posts
2,966 battles
Il y a 3 minutes, GarrusBrutus a dit :

BB(abies) - A nickname for your typical average WoWs-BB main, the largest group of players to whom Wargaming seems to cater the game.

Ok ^^ 

[ZEN]
Players
1,444 posts
14,932 battles

This is the build I seem to consider ATM, pre rework I ran IFHE but with the reduction in what was DE down from 2% to 1% I decided to ditch it. I'm not 100% set on this build for the last 2 points, as it is between the level 2 AA skill or taking last stand and another level 1 skill probably Grease the Gears.

2021-03-24.png.d0699cbd9aeeb1f87522a0d141eb8604.png

Looks like I'm the odd one that actually uses the Unique Upgrade on the ship (I did not spend RP on it BTW).

Basically the build is all about improving the ships utility, which is kinda the role of a cruiser... Not a max range HE/SAP spammer...

• Cool 1

Players
2,729 posts
15,245 battles

I dunno. For me best build is no build at all and waiting for the dead eye mess to be sorted out first. Then I will decide. Although I have to admit that Worcester is very tricky ship for me and I have no desire to play her at all to be fair. Somehow strange as I love Cleveland and even liked Seattle. 

Beta Tester
2,193 posts
12,822 battles
3 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

eeeeh ........ *cough cough CV Mains ...cough cough...* 

BB Mains have their own firespam now with Dead eye Thunderer/Conqueror.

Regarding IFHE yes/no, trying it out for now since Sailing Robin, Trenlass and a couple of more swears by it. But will probably try out another build in next captain rework/free respecc in a couple of month.

[NWP]
Players
3,660 posts
18,027 battles
5 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Tell me about it :cap_old:

image.png.99613180731c46716c217e5d2d6fffd4.png

soon 2 years without one :cap_fainting:

Stop playing normal ships, start playing HE Thunderer.  Problem solved.

• Funny 2

Sign in to follow this