Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

Austin vs. Bourgogne for Steel?—Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Austin vs. Bourgogne for Steel?

• Bourgogne
    • Austin

34 comments in this topic

Players
18 posts
4,807 battles

I am quite close to getting enough Steel to get Austin or Bourgogne.
I don’t play Clan Battles so accumulating Steel for me is a slow process so I can get only one ship, Bourgogne or Austin. 
Hence, I am asking for advice from the community. Should I get Austin or Bourgogne for my Steel?

Players
805 posts
7,989 battles
36 minutes ago, MrCrazyUkrainian said:

I don’t play Clan Battles so accumulating Steel for me is a slow process so I can get only one ship, Bourgogne or Austin. 
Hence, I am asking for advice from the community. Should I get Austin or Bourgogne for my Steel?

I assume I will do quite well in both and am quite aware of their peculiarities.

If you'll do well in both and are aware of their peculiarities, why ask us? Please, I don't mean this in an aggressive way  just the only answer can be, "whichever you'll enjoy most".

Do you like battleships more or slinging shells over islands and devastating destroyers? 

For myself, I wish I could make Austin work, but I can't. So, I'd take Bourgogne. But that's me, see.

Players
3,502 posts
12,101 battles

Hold your horses mate on both. Dont assume anything and let me tell you how it really is, from an outside perspective. Up to you if you listen mate. 

I wanted to check your stats out to see what would be better for you and your style and then give my opinion. 

Summary:

I wouldnt touch the Austin with a barge poll mate!!! Your other ships that have the Austin playstyle (Island hugging and peakaboo) are poor. 37% WR in your smol and that thing has smoke. The Austin has even less HP! Your survive rate is very poor and you will be dead before you know it. 

The Austin is a high skill, high reward ship. Maybe the biggest so I wouldn't touch that unless you wanna cripple your team mates with a ship down within 3 mins. 

Bourg? You have a really bad survival rate in your BBs and you wanna pick one of the most squish BBs in tier 10? It has the lowest HP of any tier 10 and covered in waffer thin armour. You also need to position yourself correctly to really make use of those 380 guns or you will get nothing but bounces. Your Republic damage is very poor and that thing has much heavier guns

I would avoid both until you spend more time in the game. Both are high skill ships and, and I mean this with the greatest respect, but you aren't there yet. 

If I was you get the Grad, at least you will last longer mate. 

If I wasnt clear, please don't get the Austin for the love of God. If you do, make sure you are on the enemy team. 

IMHO. Hope it helps and I really don't wanna sound like I'm chewing you out, just being honest. 

• Cool 9

Players
805 posts
7,989 battles
33 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Hold your horses mate on both. Dont assume anything and let me tell you how it really is, from an outside perspective. Up to you if you listen mate. 

I wanted to check your stats out to see what would be better for you and your style and then give my opinion. 

Summary:

I wouldnt touch the Austin with a barge poll mate!!! Your other ships that have the Austin playstyle (Island hugging and peakaboo) are poor. 37% WR in your smol and that thing has smoke. The Austin has even less HP! Your survive rate is very poor and you will be dead before you know it. 

The Austin is a high skill, high reward ship. Maybe the biggest so I wouldn't touch that unless you wanna cripple your team mates with a ship down within 3 mins. 

Bourg? You have a really bad survival rate in your BBs and you wanna pick one of the most squish BBs in tier 10? It has the lowest HP of any tier 10 and covered in waffer thin armour. You also need to position yourself correctly to really make use of those 380 guns or you will get nothing but bounces. Your Republic damage is very poor and that thing has much heavier guns

I would avoid both until you spend more time in the game. Both are high skill ships and, and I mean this with the greatest respect, but you aren't there yet. 

If I was you get the Grad, at least you will last longer mate. 

If I wasnt clear, please don't get the Austin for the love of God. If you do, make sure you are on the enemy team. 

IMHO. Hope it helps and I really don't wanna sound like I'm chewing you out, just being honest. 

Those are the reasons I'm getting FDR, probably. Do we know know anything about the resource requirement for Vampire II and Weimar? Not interested in Tiger at all. My guess would be 2.5M fxp for Vampire and RB for Weimar, but I could be wrong (obviously).

[NOCV]
Players
81 posts
8,317 battles
I asked the same advice for slava and ohio. I did the voting and ohio won with over 80% of the votes.
I chose slava and I am incredibly satisfied ..
In 2 weeks I will make the same choice ... and I will choose bourgogne ... 
but austin for rank pretty strong
  • Boring 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,299 posts
30,552 battles
3 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Do we know know anything about the resource requirement for Vampire II and Weimar? 

No we don't.

3 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

My guess would be 2.5M fxp for Vampire and RB for Weimar, but I could be wrong (obviously).

Wiemar would probably be just for doubloons as basically (almost) every other T7 premium. Vampires could be available for basically any of game currencies but even if it was for FXP, I don't see why would it cost more then 2mil as other two T10 FXP ships are/were. 

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles

I'd love to know what the four that voted Austin have been watching, hearing, or reading..

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,741 posts
15,095 battles

Austin looks very fun but hard to use. I don't have it though

Bourgogne is like a battlecruiser using HE and AP. Small Hp pool but good speed and a reload booster means it can usually take advantage of the enemies mistakes.

I would suggest Bourgogne as a good first steel ship to anyone who likes the battle cruiser type of play.

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,663 posts
9,841 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

I'd love to know what the four that voted Austin have been watching, hearing, or reading..

They watched all the YT-compilations of Austins melting a ship in 30 sec - took them 10 minutes of research time :Smile_trollface:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

They watched all the YT-compilations of Austins melting a ship in 30 sec - took them 10 minutes of research time :Smile_trollface:

One'd think that finding out that while she can do that she also melts away faster than you can say "whoops!" if the enemy so much as looks at her would take even less time than that..

Players
4,381 posts
5,713 battles
6 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Probably nothing. They are very likely USN Premium collectors :Smile_child:

Players
2,797 posts
33,674 battles

I don't have Austin but watched all videos and also played along side in game (random/ranked). It seems like a very dependent cruiser, depending on having back up and depending on enemy team making mistakes.

It sounds the same for almost all ships i know but in Austin's case it is more extreme i think. It can't citadel, doesn't have radar or smoke but it has torps. If Austin plays with a DD smoke, its machine gun could be deadly. Behind rocks is very situational, depends on the map, depends if it is a CV game or not, depends if enemy dd is spotting you, etc. For solo, it is kind of gambling to play it, for divisions it could be more fun. Once i have the ship i can provide more solid opinions about it.

Bourgogne is a beast. Requires some BB game experience to play it right. Fast, good AA, can hit hard ap or he, booster. Bourgogne and JB, are the BBs.

• Cool 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
24 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Probably nothing. They are very likely USN Premium collectors :Smile_child:

Hate to say it but they are going to regret it if they actually picked her up..

Players
4,381 posts
5,713 battles
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Hate to say it but they are going to regret it if they actually picked her up..

Im glad that this ship is weak. Last thing we need in this game is another smolensk..

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, Hades_warrior said:

Im glad that this ship is weak. Last thing we need in this game is another smolensk..

Absolutely true, but we don't need her to be so weak as to be a hindrance to her team either.

• Cool 1

[TWS]
Players
43 posts
16,387 battles

I have them both... Austin is all about trolling around, when on bour u can actually help your teammates in clan battles or even random in that matter

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

Austin looks like the kind of ship many people will get because they have seen content creator X or Y melt something in it. To quickly realize that a citadel covered by a 16mm deck can be ... an issue :) I faced 2 austins while ranking out, I got a devastating strike on both, one shot in the stern, both were perfectly angled. Every battleship can do it, every supercruiser can do it, hell even HenriIV can do it.

1606478574_Austinissue.thumb.JPG.4bea9fa29f62491b957cae9fdb780bf3.JPG

She's similar to radar minotaur in that sense, powerful? Oh yes, for people with flawless situational awareness.
The brutal answer is the honest answer here, don't get it, you're not good enough to play it well (neither am I by the way)

At higher tiers, the ships you do reasonably well in are battleships, specifically Jean-Bart. Bourgogne is a Jean Bart on steroids, get that.

• Cool 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,766 posts
4 hours ago, MrCrazyUkrainian said:

Burger

Players
2,728 posts
15,245 battles

I seriously doubt that you can make Austin work. I am a bit better than you and I am OK with radar Mino but I would rather not touched Austin yet. 

Bourgogne is a good BB, fun to play just you need to be aware of the surrounding and battle flow to do well. She's very squishy and not a ship to play bow in forward/backwards like some do with JB. But even running around 8-9 line like a headless chicken spamming HE before finally dying you would do more good for your team than with Austin probably. 

• Cool 2

Players
7,308 posts
11,668 battles
5 hours ago, MrCrazyUkrainian said:

So here is an idea, to test, if you like Austin or not: Get Marblehead, play 10 random games. If you do well and like it - Austin is for you. If you get killed over and over again without having any impact - stay very far away from Austin.

• Cool 2

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

I just noticed the top of her citadel is 32mm under that 16mm deck, so 457mm guns don't even need to shoot you in the schnoze or butt to citadel you, any shell landing on that deck is a citadel. Average players getting this because Flambass said it's good are going to be big sad :fish_cute_2:

[YEBOI]
Players
205 posts
13,488 battles

I have seen people getting dev struck by things like stalingrad playing the Austin.

If you know how to play or have too much steel anyway, feel free to get her, otherwise stay far away PLEASE.

[SVX]
Players
1,380 posts
16,297 battles
8 hours ago, MrCrazyUkrainian said:

this is like asking if you like apples or oranges............ 2 completly diffrent playstiles.  whitch 1 do you prefer ? take that ship

Players
385 posts
18,929 battles
8 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I just noticed the top of her citadel is 32mm under that 16mm deck, so 457mm guns don't even need to shoot you in the schnoze or butt to citadel you, any shell landing on that deck is a citadel. Average players getting this because Flambass said it's good are going to be big sad :fish_cute_2:

You need a Yamato caliber or greater to overmatch 32mm. When Properly angled, it is possible to bounce all others. Still, there is spots to shoot with other BBs. After all, without SE she will be deleted by two citadels and one overpen / pen by almost any BB.

Sign in to follow this