Jump to content
Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
luokailk

Is Neutrashimmy good for ranked/CW?

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles

Hi guys, I play a lot of ranked and CW these days, and would like to know the top 3 DDs from experienced guys. Is Neutra among the top 3 (or maybe top 1, besides black)?

 

Thanks a lot in advance:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
55 minutes ago, luokailk said:

Is Neutra among the top 3 (or maybe top 1, besides black)?

FWIW I've found Neustra very effective for Ranked, although I'm not a good player - she does come in several percentage points above my usual Randoms WR in Ranked.

She has a decent balance between guns and torps, is pretty sneaky, and has (for a DD) 'good enough' AA; the crucial factor for me seems to be her heal though - that quite often gives you the longevity needed to maximise the impact you have on the game.

 

Besides her, I've mostly been playing Benham and Black,  although a lot of that is to do with the rewards (from being premiums) as well as their effectiveness...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PUSH]
Players
34 posts
5,938 battles

There are multiple tier 9 DDs that are good for competitive, all for their own reasons, and Neustra is one of them. The heal makes her quite reliable and forgiving, allowing you to for example win a lot of DD duels that you otherwise wouldn't. Or to disengage and recover if you mess up. At the same time she's a good all-rounder. So she's a good choice for any DD player, and especially so if you aren't the hottest piece of DD glory out there. Simply because the heal covers for your mistakes.

Another DD that's also competitive and more forgiving than some is Jutland, with the short duration/CD smoke, hydro and so forth. Additional strong DDs are the Mogador, Kitakaze, Black and Yugumo. For the former you need to be confident in open water gunboating, but in turn you're fantastic at it. In the second you get amazing guns, but you are slow and turn like a brick. In the third you're especially great if you're able to coordinate with teammates to best use your utility, but might as well be playing something else if you're not good at using it. In the last you're good at deterring pushes with the torpedo reload booster, but need to be careful due to the concurrent lack of smoke.

They all have their own uses, though Neustra can go just about anywhere and do decent. However, I wouldn't rank any of the DDs in comparison to each other due to them being better than each other in different situations. Though I might be inclined to put Neustra at the top if you're of a good or lower skill level.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles
3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW I've found Neustra very effective for Ranked, although I'm not a good player - she does come in several percentage points above my usual Randoms WR in Ranked.

She has a decent balance between guns and torps, is pretty sneaky, and has (for a DD) 'good enough' AA; the crucial factor for me seems to be her heal though - that quite often gives you the longevity needed to maximise the impact you have on the game.

 

Besides her, I've mostly been playing Benham and Black,  although a lot of that is to do with the rewards (from being premiums) as well as their effectiveness...

Thanks mate, may I ask for the 3 DDs you played in ranked, which one is the best and why? Seems Neutra is the best ?:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles
2 hours ago, Gorthuba said:

There are multiple tier 9 DDs that are good for competitive, all for their own reasons, and Neustra is one of them. The heal makes her quite reliable and forgiving, allowing you to for example win a lot of DD duels that you otherwise wouldn't. Or to disengage and recover if you mess up. At the same time she's a good all-rounder. So she's a good choice for any DD player, and especially so if you aren't the hottest piece of DD glory out there. Simply because the heal covers for your mistakes.

Another DD that's also competitive and more forgiving than some is Jutland, with the short duration/CD smoke, hydro and so forth. Additional strong DDs are the Mogador, Kitakaze, Black and Yugumo. For the former you need to be confident in open water gunboating, but in turn you're fantastic at it. In the second you get amazing guns, but you are slow and turn like a brick. In the third you're especially great if you're able to coordinate with teammates to best use your utility, but might as well be playing something else if you're not good at using it. In the last you're good at deterring pushes with the torpedo reload booster, but need to be careful due to the concurrent lack of smoke.

They all have their own uses, though Neustra can go just about anywhere and do decent. However, I wouldn't rank any of the DDs in comparison to each other due to them being better than each other in different situations. Though I might be inclined to put Neustra at the top if you're of a good or lower skill level.

Thanks a lot buddy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
5 hours ago, Gorthuba said:

There are multiple tier 9 DDs that are good for competitive, all for their own reasons, and Neustra is one of them. The heal makes her quite reliable and forgiving, allowing you to for example win a lot of DD duels that you otherwise wouldn't. Or to disengage and recover if you mess up. At the same time she's a good all-rounder. So she's a good choice for any DD player, and especially so if you aren't the hottest piece of DD glory out there. Simply because the heal covers for your mistakes.
 

Don't forget the near best in class concealment at 5,6km.
You can zone out a lot of DDs with that concealment, but unlike IJN DDs also back it up with guns+heal in case you do get spotted.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,870 battles

DDs for me in  competitive mode tier 9:

1. Neustrashimy ( with Kuznetov)

2. Jutland

3. Ostergotland

Fletcher/Benham/Kitakaze also good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
7 hours ago, luokailk said:

Hi guys, I play a lot of ranked and CW these days, and would like to know the top 3 DDs from experienced guys. Is Neutra among the top 3 (or maybe top 1, besides black)?

 

Thanks a lot in advance:)

Jutland, Mogador, and a tossup of Kita/Yugumo/Benham/Fletcher for the last spots, though it really depends on what role you want to use the DD in.


The best general purpose DD is Jutland, as you have a combination 5,7km concealment, good guns, hydro, heal and plenty of smokes.
She is very good at zoning out enemy DDs because of that concealment, and can lend good extra pressure when it comes to a firefight.

With the hydro and single launch torps, she can dominate cap areas as she stays relatively torp safe and gives early warning of torps for the team, while able to heavily damage or outright sink (radar) cruisers that get too close to the cap, even if nose in.

Mogador is played mostly in open'ish areas as a "cruiser with no citadel", and supports a scouting DD as she has pretty poor concealment herself.
A Mogador in a good position can farm out cruisers at range (either through speed juking, or safely from behind an island), take out enemy DDs very fast, and due to the speed is able to reposition extremely fast in case you need more firepower on another side of the map.

Kita can generally provide good dpm (more than a Mogador), but relies on islands or smoke unlike the Mogador that can juke in open waters.
Has generally  decent concealment, but shouldn't be played up front as she is very risky to maneuver in areas that get flooded with torps (unlike Jutland), so she's also more of a supporting dpm DD (though less so than Mogador).


Benham/Fletcher - if you want to run these I'd do it because the team wants to utilize the smoke.
Seen so many Benhams that get picked because she has that "OP" tag associated with her, but imo she isn't OP in CBs at all, only in randoms where she can farm out potatoes with torps.
Benhams problem is that she has bad guns and mediocre concealment, which makes her into a pretty iffy scouting/zoning DD (unlike a Yugumo which is also a torp boat, but has superior concealment for scouting/zoning).
If you try to look past that and use her as a smoke-laying DD for friendly cruisers, she gets much more valuable.
This is a role similar to Fletcher, which unlike Benham has less of an ability to flood areas with torps, but on the upside has pretty good guns.

I didn't mention Black here, but she is very strong and definitely in the top 3 if you have her.
The only reason for that is the smoke and radar combination paired with decent guns and concealment.
Takes a good captain to use her though.

Neustra can be a very solid pick due to the very good concealment, but for the purpose of a "role-based" DD she imo comes short of Jutland for the "general purpose/scouting" role (0,1 km concealment advantage only for Neustra, while offering much less capable cap contesting).
Can be very deadly if you play her as a scout on a pushing flank where you don't immediately focus on cap contesting, especially with mogador/kita as backup.
Still, probably the second best general purpose DD there is, but unfortunately comes slightly short because she doesn't excel at anything in particular.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles
37 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

DDs for me in  competitive mode tier 9:

1. Neustrashimy ( with Kuznetov)

2. Jutland

3. Ostergotland

Fletcher/Benham/Kitakaze also good 

What about black?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
50 minutes ago, luokailk said:

What about black?

Black is absolutely monstrous as a cap contesting/zoning DD, if you have her.

Just don't let your smoke and radar get out of sync, as she is much less capable when you can't use those two consumables in tandem.
Good players will try to bait either a radar or smoke out of Black, and bad Black players will tend to blow them individually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
5 hours ago, luokailk said:

Thanks mate, may I ask for the 3 DDs you played in ranked, which one is the best and why? Seems Neutra is the best ?:)

For context, I've been playing exclusively in Bronze this season, and I'm not a good player:

  • I would probably pick Neustra first, simply because of the heal and 'general purpose' nature of the ship - she's decent pretty much regardless of the opposition, and that heal usually allows me to get away with at least one mistake.
  • After that (for me), Black and Benham are similarly useful (and I do often pick them first, if I'm feeling awake enough to make fewer mistakes); in Bronze there are plenty of people who aren't good at dealing with DD radar, and walls of skill, respectively. In both cases, the smoke can be very useful too, although you do have to think a bit strategically about its use; we've all seen 'those' DD drivers who blind most of their team with an ill-judged smoke cloud for very little gain.
  • BTW I would rate both Jutland and Oster as being in the same sort of league as all of my favourites; the only reason I don't make more use of both is that they - obviously - don't get the premium economy (I think I have a high enough point captain for both, otherwise that would be a factor as well).

'Best' is highly subjective, and does depend a bit on the opposition...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,870 battles
4 hours ago, luokailk said:

What about black?

Dont have it :) I have the coal ready but WG keep postpone to release it. For sure is a good DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
3 hours ago, Hirohito said:

Just don't let your smoke and radar get out of sync, as she is much less capable when you can't use those two consumables in tandem.

It's perhaps worth noting (in Ranked anyway) that it isn't uncommon to be able to use your opponent's smoke as well as/instead of your own:

  • Encounter opposing DD.
  • Opposing DD pops smoke.
  • Fire up radar and teach him the error of his ways.
  • Use existing smoke cloud to cover whatever you want to do next, adding your own if necessary.

If you don't pop your own, it can make it harder for the opposition to guess exactly where you are because they'll only have seen the smoke cloud forming in relation to their own side's DD that laid it. That isn't to say the advice to keep them in sync is bad (quite the reverse, in fact), but rather there is potential for variation that can be useful...

 

(Radar DDs making use of sunk opponents' smoke is a nasty habit I got into playing Smaland/Orkan.)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It's perhaps worth noting (in Ranked anyway) that it isn't uncommon to be able to use your opponent's smoke as well as/instead of your own:

  • Encounter opposing DD.
  • Opposing DD pops smoke.
  • Fire up radar and teach him the error of his ways.
  • Use existing smoke cloud to cover whatever you want to do next, adding your own if necessary.

If you don't pop your own, it can make it harder for the opposition to guess exactly where you are because they'll only have seen the smoke cloud forming in relation to their own side's DD that laid it. That isn't to say the advice to keep them in sync is bad (quite the reverse, in fact), but rather there is potential for variation that can be useful...

 

(Radar DDs making use of sunk opponents' smoke is a nasty habit I got into playing Smaland/Orkan.)

Good points, and the advice of course has exceptions.

When playing against a Black (in any DD really), getting them out of sync makes Black dramatically weaker.
So much that it can often catch the Black himself overconfident (since he's used to winning off of that combo), picking fights that he shouldn't.
Black relies heavily on that consumable combo, so much that with either of them down (for instance, just having smoke but no radar available), Black can pretty much turn into a "meh" destroyer with decent concealment, decent guns, and horrible torps - pretty much a bad Fletcher, and Fletcher isn't that popular these days for good reasons.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
5 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

<Wise words>

You're absolutely right.

 

For doing tolerably (my minimum target, speaking as a distinctly tuberous player) in Ranked, I find the radar is the crucial one to keep an eye on though, as that's (for me) the consumable that makes Black such a monster; it really does help to have played the EU radar DDs though - with Black you suddenly have this lovely fluffy security blanket *as well* that you didn't have before...!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
823 posts
3,902 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

You're absolutely right.

 

For doing tolerably (my minimum target, speaking as a distinctly tuberous player) in Ranked, I find the radar is the crucial one to keep an eye on though, as that's (for me) the consumable that makes Black such a monster; it really does help to have played the EU radar DDs though - with Black you suddenly have this lovely fluffy security blanket *as well* that you didn't have before...!

Agree, the radar is the strongest consumable of the two individually.
Though to be fair, I find a Black much less of a threat than a Småland/Orkan wielding it, as those boats have good/great speed and a heal to help them take a beating, something the Black doesn't.
So as long as you never smoke up in front of a Black (unless you know for sure that radar is down), you can usually trade pretty well against it.
While I loathe Black in a Jutland (when consumes are in sync), I'll happily trade away when he only has radar available, as I've got the dpm and (especially) heals to back it up, unlike the Black.
And by god, are Black torps a waste of processing power when you spot them early with hydro. :Smile_trollface:
Still tho, Black is a royal pain in the a** to play against when he's competent.
Even if you are perfectly positioned when you spot him (stern in, ready to accelerate out), he can easily farm you for 20%.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
31 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

And by god, are Black torps a waste of processing power when you spot them early with hydro. 

Lately, I've been amazed how many hits I get with the things; I mean, I know I'm playing in Bronze, but still - it's not like you have to hit a special key combination to make your ship turn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OGHF]
Players
1,428 posts
24,607 battles

What about Somers, good torp boat, good concealment and fast torp reloading :cap_like:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
11 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

What about Somers, good toro boat, good concealment and fast torp reloading :cap_like:

She's splendid; the only reason I didn't mention her is that the original query was talking about T9s (ditto some of the more interesting T8 options too, if one is paddling about in Bronze)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
6 hours ago, luokailk said:

What about black?

Black has a trick, it's a very dirty trick, but if her trick is on cooldown, other T9s beat it, each in their own way. Black is a ship that is very strong for 25 seconds every 2 minutes, Jutland and kitakaze are strong all the time in their own way.

 

@luokailk Neustrashimy's gimmick is it doesn't die, pretty good gimmick as staying alive is half your job done as a DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles

Thanks guys! So if you compare Neutra with Black, which one is stronger in competitive mode (ranked/CW)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
1 hour ago, Hirohito said:

Black is a royal pain in the a** to play against when he's competent.

It's a pain in the a** to duel black but at least black pays for her radar, you can easily beat it if you beat her radar.
Unlike Smaland, doesn't pay for radar in any way, is basically Halland with radar and more dpm, because reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
6 minutes ago, luokailk said:

Thanks guys! So if you compare Neutra with Black, which one is stronger in competitive mode (ranked/CW)?

Black for randoms or pepega clan, cuz the radar trick works wonders against not-so-great players.
Neustrashimy if your enemies are decent/good, cuz your team is fcked if you die and neustra doesn't die.
You're in a good clan, we fought you guys several times in storm lately, you fight good opponents, I'd get Neustrashimy in your case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
205 posts
22,331 battles
5 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Black for randoms or pepega clan, cuz the radar trick works wonders against not-so-great players.
Neustrashimy if your enemies are decent/good, cuz your team is fcked if you die and neustra doesn't die.
You're in a good clan, we fought you guys several times in storm lately, you fight good opponents, I'd get Neustrashimy in your case.

Thanks a lot buddy! Your clan is also very good :D You get my point. I'm actually looking for a better DD (currently using jutland in CW) and pushing it to typhoon with my mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
13 minutes ago, luokailk said:

Thanks guys! So if you compare Neutra with Black, which one is stronger in competitive mode (ranked/CW)?

I'd probably go with Neustra - longevity is so important, especially if your opponent knows what they're doing. Smoke/radar on Black is glorious, but - as observed elsewhere - without it you're basically a nerfed Feltcher, and better players know how to render your party piece moot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×