You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Speculations on Wargamins hidden Plans ^^

24 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,173 posts
9,978 battles

What the Title Says ^^

We all know that WG likes to use Eventmodes to Test out potential Future Mechanics and Ideas :)

So what have we seen over the last few Years ?

I.ll start with the most Recent Big Hunt ^^

Very Large Map,

Battle Royale Mode,

In Battle Upgrades,

Customizable Weapon and Consumable Loadouts,

Weapons which hit Lasermarked Spots on Ebemy Ships,

Consumable based Weapons/Attacks,

Ships changing crew/charge Focus to a certain Job on the Ship (heal, engine, weapon),

Modes mixing NPCs and PvP,

A Weapon thats surprisingly like Hedghehogs ASW,

Chat disabling after death,

By the way.

The Wave Weapons in the past were possibly testing for Submarine Pings :)

So whatcha think.

Whats WG testing here *gg*

Lots of sttange mechanics are here after all :)

• Cool 3

[HEROI]
Beta Tester
55 posts
923 battles

Big Hunt is like WoT Steel Hunter without the shinkring map and with a boss at the end...

Players
2,412 posts
24,912 battles

Battle Royale and Big Maps

or something like Big Battle in WoT with 50 tanks - this could be interesting.

In Battle Upgrades, and Customizable Weapon and Consumable Loadouts,

We have ships with customizable armament literaly from start of game like Sims with two torpedoes ( Closed Beta ), HSF Harekaze with three hulls, Lo Yang and Anshan with two variants of torpedoes but it's still not level of upgrades or builds in Big Hunt. Customizable comsumables sounds like creating even bigger mess than before which definitely sounds like wet dream for game designers so I bet this will be forced sooner or later. 

Weapons which hit Lasermarked Spots on Ebemy Ships,

Introduction of guided rockets in WoWs with avoidance of fire and forget? Please no rockets and no submarines in any forms,

Consumable based Weapons/Attacks, 

Ships changing crew/charge Focus to a certain Job on the Ship (heal, engine, weapon),

Sounds like very bad idea in vanilla battle modes of WoWs and I wonder to which weapons this could be applied?

Modes mixing NPCs and PvP,

Something like Scenarios but with players on both sides? Didn't this idea was tested ealier?

A Weapon thats surprisingly like Hedghehogs ASW

I'm suprised that on all ships which had Hedgehog and Squid launchers were removed ( Jutland, Daring, Kleber, Marceau ect. ) or replaced with depth charge throwers ( Ostergottland ) while ASW rockets ( Friesland, Halland, Smaland ) were retained.

Chat disabling after death,

Yes please,

I'm definitely not against changes in game but I'm afraid that WG plans just to change everything possible without any logic and ingoring any feedback.

I wonder what new mechanics can be introduced without making total SF? Guided missles, ASW planes on carriers, incendiary bombs, SAP rockets, SAP bombs, various width of ping for different submarines trees, specialized ASW ships with gimmicks like Hedgehog or Squid? Most of this sounds really bad.

[D_G]
Players
346 posts
2,503 battles

Turning World of Warships into World of Warplanes. I mean, check out this Facebook advertisement:

91913871_6170332683133_41406792717251379

World of "Warships", with not a ship in sight.

• Funny 10

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,897 battles

Whatever it is it will make the game worse. WG are incapable or improving anything, so i have zero doubt that it will make the game even crappier and it will be heavily monetised. :cap_old:

• Cool 9

Beta Tester, Players
714 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

WG is testing how far you can p*** off they player base until they all quit.

hm.. thats not a test its on going ......

• Cool 2

[R3B3L]
Players
1,399 posts
32,619 battles
2 hours ago, Sunleader said:

We all know that WG likes to use Eventmodes to Test out potential Future Mechanics and Ideas :)

And my initial feeling was similar: one of the ships can submerge (was it hector?) - preparing us for subs.

But the good thing is: ships behave different than expected.

A DD-like ship has very sluggish main armament and strong secondary-armament (I take a DD and get ~GK).

A BB-like ship has fast reloading guns which deal low damage (BB-main takes a BB and gets a HE-spammer instead).

A cruiser-like ship has the speed of a Paolo Emilio, etc

Made me chuckle  a few times and I think this is - from a psychological perspective - a very neat way of WG to lure us into ships we usually don´t play.

I like that :cap_like:

But let´s not ignore that everything reeks subs  :Smile_hiding:

[PGT2P]
Players
133 posts
8,568 battles
15 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

And my initial feeling was similar: one of the ships can submerge (was it hector?) - preparing us for subs.

All my ships have the ability to submerge:Smile_trollface:

Anyhow, plans, I subscribe to the notion that WG don't have any.  They have tactics, to get players to stay engaged and pay some cash, but there's no strategic plan as such... a least I see no hint of one.  Maybe that's ok, just keep going and keep trying to keep players engaged - why change what works?

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[THESO]
4,173 posts
9,978 battles

A.

Just Found out another One.

Which is Torpedoes with 3km Arming Distance on a Ship but in exchange having High Range and High Damage without being Crippled in terms of Speed.

That might be another thing they are testing to see how People like it.

B.

Also missed an Obvious one Actually.

A Limited Vision Range for Minimap is also Part of the Big Hunt mode.

Which means they are also Testing how a Minimap might work which only Shows the Area around you and not the entire Map.

C.

Then I encountered the Avengers Big Mortar.

Which works alot like Unguiged Rockets I guess. That could also be Interesting. As that might mean maybe WG wants to Test if they could add Missiles as Unguided Weapons instead.

D.

Something I didnt notice before looking closer.

Is also that the Big Hunt Matches end for you the moment you Leave.

Including Results Screen.

You dont get the Results of other Players. Meaning you actually cant see what other Players did etc :)

Thats also New actually. And might mean they are Testing something here.

Albeit this one might also just be WG being too lazy to make a Results Screen for this.

E.

Oh we also once more got the thing with a DD having a Primary Weapon and the Guns being Secondary Weapons instead.

Nearly forogt that.

And Funny enough. I do think there was some DDs which had Unguided Rocket Artillery and/or Missile Launchers in addition to their Main Rapid Fire Guns.

Meaning that together with the other mechanics Tested. WG might be looking to See how a DD would work that has Missiles/Rockets as Primary Weapon while simply making the Guns Secondary Weapons.

I should maybe also Elaborate on the Earlier ones a Bit.

Very Large Map.

This is a Pretty Obvious Test. As it Checks how Performance and Gameplay hold up on a Larger Area.

I actually hope this goes well. Because I would really like to see better Maps.

Battle Royale Mode.

Also fairly Obvious. They are Testing how People like having more than 2 Factions in 1 Battle and how it looks with a Free for All.

This is also something I welcome. Given I like playing more on myself or in smaller Teams.

Funny enough I would really like a Mode where you got maybe 6 Teams of 3 People each on a Big Map Fighting each other :)

In Battle Upgrades using Points from Kills instead of Capturer AirDrops might be Testing Future Special Ranked or CB Maps which look for alternatives to Arms Race.

Not sure on that one for Normal Game tough. Its fun in an Event. But in the Main Game this would be mostly annoying same as Arms Race.

Customizable Weapons and Consumable Loadouts might actually be there to Test how we like the Idea of a Bigger Scale in Customization for each Ship.

Thus Modules or Upgrades not just giving Buffs to an Existing Feature but possibly Replacing an entire Feature like Secondary Battery or the used Consumables etc.

Stripping some Armor for Speed etc etc.

Many Ships in History actually had Loadouts that differed based on going Ocean or Coastal Waters. And many Hulls in the Game actually Sacrifice Secondary Artillery for AA Mounts and other such things.

All of which could theoretically be moved towards being Sidegrades instead of straight Upgrades like now.

Likewise Consumables could be more Variable and thus less of a Ship thing and more of a Choice thing.

I Personally would actually like that last one.

Weapons that hit Lasermarked Spots on Ships could indeed be a Future Missile or Guided Torpedo Mechanic.

I mean lets Face it. The Torpedo Ping Reminds me an Awful lot on the Wave Weapon that Heracles in Octagon used etc.

So maybe the Laser could be the next Attempt to do something like this.

Consumable Weapons and Attacks are in fact already around for ASW. But this could be testing how we like it as something more active.

Also we actually get the Circle Wave which also Blocks Torps. In History there was actually stuff like this where a Ship could launch stuff in all Directions as a Defence. Be that Grenades, Smoke or Netting to Catch/Detonate Torpedoes. 

Who knows we might get something like the Hoods Rockets with Wire on them meant to Catch Aircraft as an Active AA Consumable. :)

Ships changing the Crew Focus is actually also an very Interesting Test to me.

Because having the Crew Focus on a Weapons Reload or instead Focus on Repairing Damage or maintaining Speed etc. Would actually be a quite realistic Concept.

In Reality. Crew was Limited. And if the Ship was on Fire or Required Repairs. It wasnt uncommong for the Operations of other stuff on the Ship to be Hampered as part of their Crew was helping with Damage Control.

Likewise many Ships actually did not have all Mounts Manned at all Times. Meaning a Focus on AA might increase AA at the Expense of Main Battery Reload.

Meanwhile if a Ship wanted to do Heavy Maneuvers and go for Emergency Full Speed. They often had to have the Crew Hold Tight to not get thrown around the Ship. Meaning Focus on Speed could be done to increase Maneuverability but at the expense of other things being slowed down as the Crew has to Cope.

This is likely the most Interesting part for me.

Modes mixing NPCs and PvP was actually done before as well.

And a Short Time Later WG actually Introduced Improved Bots to Randoms.

Coincidence ? :)

WG seems to be looking to Improve their Bots. Meaning its less of a Test. Its actually Data gathering to make Bots more Effective and more Playerlike.

The Hedghehogs like Weapon is a Pretty obvious test for ASW Warfare. And seeing how this works.

Especially now that we got a Ship that can Dive.

Chat being Disabled after Death is a Feature that was actually requested alot in the Past.

• Cool 1

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,897 battles
13 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

That might be another thing they are testing to see how People like it.

:cap_wander_2::Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[R3B3L]
Players
1,399 posts
32,619 battles
57 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

A. (and a wall of text)

Overall excellent observations.

1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

Many Ships in History actually had Loadouts that differed based on going Ocean or Coastal Waters. And many Hulls in the Game actually Sacrifice Secondary Artillery for AA Mounts and other such things.

All of which could theoretically be moved towards being Sidegrades instead of straight Upgrades like now.

Which was represented in-game by (among other ships) Nurnberg´s "Hull C" (less torpedo, more AA); WG took it away.

Is also that the Big Hunt Matches end for you the moment you Leave.

Which is convenient. Goof up, sink early, and start a new round right away instead of waiting 15 minutes. Surely many would like that.

You dont get the Results of other Players. Meaning you actually cant see what other Players did etc :)

WG seems to want to get rid of toxicity. Hence Flamu-gate. Maybe soon we will see only our own stats (and those of our clan-mates, as recently hinted by WG). Part of the de-tox of Wows is also the de-activated chat after being nuked.

Also we actually get the Circle Wave which also Blocks Torps. In History there was actually stuff like this where a Ship could launch stuff in all Directions as a Defence. Be that Grenades, Smoke or Netting to Catch/Detonate Torpedoes. 

Which irl were ineffective. The nets would be nice though, they reduced the BBs mobility to almost zero :Smile_trollface:

Ships changing the Crew Focus is actually also an very Interesting Test to me.

Because having the Crew Focus on a Weapons Reload or instead Focus on Repairing Damage or maintaining Speed etc. Would actually be a quite realistic Concept.

In Reality. Crew was Limited. And if the Ship was on Fire or Required Repairs. It wasnt uncommong for the Operations of other stuff on the Ship to be Hampered as part of their Crew was helping with Damage Control.

It is interesting and realistic, but clumsy crew-management was what partly killed off that one submarine-simulator, can´t remember the name. Also, it adds to complexity which WG isn´t exactly forcing into their game.

Battle Royale Mode.

Oh no. Even though I might sound like an angry grandpa in his rocking chair, yelling at the kids to get off his lawn:

This is so far away from naval warfare. It´s just Fortnite with ships.

[THESO]
4,173 posts
9,978 battles
10 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

Overall excellent observations.

Which was represented in-game by (among other ships) Nurnberg´s "Hull C" (less torpedo, more AA); WG took it away.

Which is convenient. Goof up, sink early, and start a new round right away instead of waiting 15 minutes. Surely many would like that.

WG seems to want to get rid of toxicity. Hence Flamu-gate. Maybe soon we will see only our own stats (and those of our clan-mates, as recently hinted by WG). Part of the de-tox of Wows is also the de-activated chat after being nuked.

Which irl were ineffective. The nets would be nice though, they reduced the BBs mobility to almost zero :Smile_trollface:

It is interesting and realistic, but clumsy crew-management was what partly killed off that one submarine-simulator, can´t remember the name. Also, it adds to complexity which WG isn´t exactly forcing into their game.

Oh no. Even though I might sound like an angry grandpa in his rocking chair, yelling at the kids to get off his lawn:

This is so far away from naval warfare. It´s just Fortnite with ships.

Thanks

Half Yes and Half No.

Indeed such things were Part of the Game already. But most of the Time it was Straight up Upgrades as the Change in the Hull also Provided more HP and other Values like better Rudder Shift etc.

Meaning that while some of the Features of the A Hull were Desirable. The B Hull usually is a Straight out Buff on almost everything else which just doesnt Justify staying on the First Hull.

C-Hulls which provided a Sidegrade were actually extremely rare.

However. Just like the 457mm Guns for Conqueror. WG Removing such Features. Doesnt mean they dont want them anymore. It could be part of an Idea to later Reintroduce them as a new Feature in a different way.

Or also as an entirely different Ship xD

Still the Idea of a much bigger Scale of Customization. Would be Interesting.

Well. The thing I mostly like. Is that you get a Reward based on your Performance and the Performance of those directly in a Division with you.

Meaning your own Performance is also much more relevant than normal here.

That might be a Possibility. To begin with. It is often Annoying to have already Dead People Spam the Chat with Annoying Comments.

So I would actually Support that.

Same for the Stats. While I do like getting Bragging Rights when I carry a Team. For Randoms it would actually be helpful if you couldnt see how others did after the Match.

Would likely spare alot of Toxicity.

The Complexity is the biggest Hindrance here I guess.

Games like Naval Action do actually use it with Success tough. There everything is based on you Distributing your Crew.

But that Complexity is likely the Reason why WG is Replacing the Consumables with it.

Meaning if WG uses something like that. They are likely to remove Consumables in exchange.

But we should also keep in mind. That WG isnt always Testing 1 to 1

For example.

The Test might have a Hidden meaning like Testing how Players handle it when using Heal for example causes other Functions of the Ship to work slower.

This is something I often Encounter in the Mode. When I was Hit heavily. I will need to Focus the Heal. But that means I have to drop other Focuses.

In actual Game what WG might intend. Is to Nerf Repair Party Consumables a bit by giving them a Debuff that Slows your Reload/Speed etc and is using this Focus to Indirectly Test how Players React to that Sacrifice. 

And there is more such Options.

For example. WG might have the Idea of using Consumables as an Active Inactive thing.

Meaning they might consider going away from the idea of limited use Consumables that then go on Cooldown. And more towards Permanently usable Consumables which however come at a Price.

For example. Using Hydro or Radar might Bloom your own Concealment while Active. Or using Repairparty might make everything slower on your Ship including Reload etc.

But in exchange you can keep it active constantly and without Cooldown.

There is alot of Options of what WG is actually trying to Test there ^^

Well dont get me wrong.

But we already are basicly Team Fortress with Ships right now xD

So I dont see that being such a Big Change xD

[NMA]
Players
128 posts
4,775 battles

Crew focus isnt hard or clumsy to implement at all, Elite Dangerous has something similiar where you have to make choices and divert your limited power to different systems, like engine, weapons, shields etc. on the fly depending on situation, which does add to gameplay.

[THESO]
4,173 posts
9,978 battles

By the way

I have a Feeling the Long Range Torpedoes which only Arm after 3km are an Idea they are Testing for Kitakami.

It would actually make Sense. As it has the amount of Torps to Justify the Long Arming Distance.

Basicly making it a Ship that is Focused on Firing Torps Longrange and cant use them close Range.

Possibly in Actual Battle they will make it like 10km Arming Distance. So that anything closer cant be Hit.

Beta Tester
5,655 posts
22,473 battles
29 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Possibly in Actual Battle they will make it like 10km Arming Distance. So that anything closer cant be Hit.

Would be hilarious to see that in battles, with a playerbase that has a high percentage of players shooting 8km range torpedoes at targets 15km away.... and have course set to take them even further away from the guy firing the torps...

:cap_haloween:

Cue: "But that target was only 3km away and my torps just went through him and didn't hit him..." (if it works kinda like DW torps..) or "...and didn't explode" (if they don't)

• Funny 1

Players
797 posts
10,998 battles
On 3/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

WG is testing how far you can p*** off they player base until they all quit.

Bingo!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
525 posts
On 3/22/2021 at 12:53 AM, VIadoCro said:

It is interesting and realistic, but clumsy crew-management was what partly killed off that one submarine-simulator, can´t remember the name.

There arent many but I think you mean Silent Hunter but it didnt, III and IV had then in more detail but V had a far more simplistic and that was the last one, It died because Ubisoft.

But I agree that crew management at best would be simply another equipment screen adding just more busy work and more grind, realistically the Captain of the vessel doesnt have to micromanage to such a degree where the Captain have to do everything ... works on subsims only in relation as its a smaller vessel with limited weapon systems and Captains usually did the whole setting up the torpedoes firing solutions but the ships are "simpler" as you dont need to have to worry having to level the ship after taking on water (well you do but really only two directions and not four) because they doesnt have as many compartments ... stuff like that on a warship would need to be single player and slow if it was realistic enough.

Players
69 posts
1,447 battles
On 3/22/2021 at 7:40 AM, Sunleader said:

C.

Then I encountered the Avengers Big Mortar.

Which works alot like Unguiged Rockets I guess. That could also be Interesting. As that might mean maybe WG wants to Test if they could add Missiles as Unguided Weapons instead

Maybe like play “Battleship” or that laser tag thingy , tag a line and a missile fly straight to that area.

[THESO]
4,173 posts
9,978 battles
2 minutes ago, Silver_Firebote said:

Maybe like play “Battleship” or that laser tag thingy , tag a line and a missile fly straight to that area.

WG doesnt need to test it together.

So funny enough it might be that they are testing Missile Ballistics and Laserguiding.

Also Interesting however is the Area Damage. As that would make Sense against alot of Smaller Ships.

Players
69 posts
1,447 battles
7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

WG doesnt need to test it together.

So funny enough it might be that they are testing Missile Ballistics and Laserguiding.

Also Interesting however is the Area Damage. As that would make Sense against alot of Smaller Ships.

I think the laser tag is to simulate radar scan (I don’t think early era missile use lasers guidance). U set to scan a single narrow area and it guides the missile to it , similar to submarine torp sonar pings 

Players
34 posts
2,614 battles

In a live a few month back they talked about potential post WW2 ship (T11+?), the introduction of missile weapons, the return of odd tier CVs but with a different focus than the actual lines (support CVs?), bigger maps with more players and a few other things that I dont remember.

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,897 battles
On 3/22/2021 at 1:29 AM, bakmaita said:

Crew focus isnt hard or clumsy to implement at all, Elite Dangerous has something similiar where you have to make choices and divert your limited power to different systems, like engine, weapons, shields etc. on the fly depending on situation, which does add to gameplay.

Yeah but look at WG view of their playerbase, they think CVs are too potato to even look after their own consumables...

• Cool 1