Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Communist_Loli

Steel Ship Removal Question

17 comments in this topic

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles

I don't remember when they announced Somer's removal hence the question.

How much time do they give up on an announcement of a steel ship being removed? Is it 3 months like every other ship or is it longer? I figure since steel takes much longer to accumulate they might give a longer time frame or something. 

I'm steadily moving towards my first steel ship (3 months away until coupon reset) which will probably be either Stalingrad or Bourgogne. I'd like to get both eventually but the problem is since they're both so old, they seem to be the most prime ships to get removed. I'd hate to get one just to receive news that the other is going to get taken away and not have time to get it. Steel accumulation is slow since I don't play clan wars due to different time zones so the only way for me to get steel is through ranked and daily missions. 

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles
4 minutes ago, doerhoff_damian said:

It is 3 Months and Sommers was sceduled to be Removed one Patch after Georgia, Massa, Ohio and Thunderer

Well, that sucks...

Guess the only way to get through this is to control my urges and hold on to said steel until news arrives on which one gets taken away :cap_hmm:

Another question then, how often do steel ships get removed? Is it a yearly rotation? I remember WG has some kind of schedule where 4 tech tree ships get released per year so maybe they have something similar going on with the other. 

[SKRUB]
Players
604 posts
23,129 battles
1 minute ago, Communist_Loli said:

Guess the only way to get through this is to control my urges and hold on to said steel until news arrives on which one gets taken away :cap_hmm:

New ship don't alway mean they will replace the old one.

Like Nelson, who will also get remove for free xp, but WG didn't anounce yet a replacement.

1 minute ago, Communist_Loli said:

Another question then, how often do steel ships get removed? Is it a yearly rotation? I remember WG has some kind of schedule where 4 tech tree ships get released per year so maybe they have something similar going on with the other. 

No rotation, we don't know if a ship will be remove, they said, they ""all"" will eventually come back "one day".

But really if you want a steel ship now, go for it, don't let the frustation build inside of you. :cap_cool:

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles
15 minutes ago, Lebedjev said:

New ship don't alway mean they will replace the old one.

Like Nelson, who will also get remove for free xp, but WG didn't anounce yet a replacement.

No rotation, we don't know if a ship will be remove, they said, they ""all"" will eventually come back "one day".

But really if you want a steel ship now, go for it, don't let the frustation build inside of you. :cap_cool:

I sure hope so. WG has announced the removal/removed many ships this year, far more than usual it feels and we're only 3 months into the year. Hence why my spidey senses are tingling and I don't want to do anything I might end up regretting. 

Players
7,536 posts
245 battles
12 minutes ago, Communist_Loli said:

I sure hope so. WG has announced the removal/removed many ships this year, far more than usual it feels and we're only 3 months into the year. Hence why my spidey senses are tingling and I don't want to do anything I might end up regretting. 

Peegee usually gives you time to choose smoll loli, like 1-3months usually before they yeet the ships into the bin and into lootboxes and maybe other things.

*sprays water*

[SHAD]
Players
3,732 posts
15,093 battles

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I expect I will be able to afford another steel ship after the new year event. Hoping the ship I want will still be there.

[THESO]
Players
1,573 posts
18,560 battles
1 hour ago, Communist_Loli said:

I'm steadily moving towards my first steel ship (3 months away until coupon reset) which will probably be either Stalingrad or Bourgogne. I'd like to get both eventually but the problem is since they're both so old, they seem to be the most prime ships to get removed.

Ships do not get removed due to being in the game for a long time. If that was the case, Atago would be long gone.

They remove ships for two reasons:

1. The ship is considered too inexpensive in comparison to newer ships. The game economy has changed since the launch of the game, which makes ships released under the old economy easier to get. That would make new ships appear expensive and thus less attractive. So they remove these ships.

2. They messed up balancing and the ships are deemed overpowered. Since most of these ships are sold for money directly or indirectly, changing a product for the worse after appraising its qualities and selling it in a higher value state, could be a legal issue. So they never nerf the ships directly. The only way to limit their impact is by limiting their frequency. So they remove them.

Officially there is a third reason, which is the ships popularity, but that is to cover up the real reason. If popularity was a reason, Tirpitz would have been removed years ago.

• Cool 4

[KITEN]
Players
675 posts
15,897 battles

Steel subs coming soon, save up your resources for all that epicness...

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles
12 hours ago, CptBarney said:

Peegee usually gives you time to choose smoll loli, like 1-3months usually before they yeet the ships into the bin and into lootboxes and maybe other things.

*sprays water*

Smol loli can't save up enough steel in that short time frame :< 

• Cool 1

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles
11 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Ships do not get removed due to being in the game for a long time. If that was the case, Atago would be long gone.

They remove ships for two reasons:

1. The ship is considered too inexpensive in comparison to newer ships. The game economy has changed since the launch of the game, which makes ships released under the old economy easier to get. That would make new ships appear expensive and thus less attractive. So they remove these ships.

2. They messed up balancing and the ships are deemed overpowered. Since most of these ships are sold for money directly or indirectly, changing a product for the worse after appraising its qualities and selling it in a higher value state, could be a legal issue. So they never nerf the ships directly. The only way to limit their impact is by limiting their frequency. So they remove them.

Officially there is a third reason, which is the ships popularity, but that is to cover up the real reason. If popularity was a reason, Tirpitz would have been removed years ago.

Hmm...judging by the criteria you listed, I suppose Stalingrad or the FDR seems to be the most likely candidates then. One is the most popular Steel purchase while the other is debatable in the balance department. 

Players
1,167 posts
5,793 battles
10 minutes ago, Communist_Loli said:

Hmm...judging by the criteria you listed, I suppose Stalingrad or the FDR seems to be the most likely candidates then. One is the most popular Steel purchase while the other is debatable in the balance department. 

I have my sincere doubts about stalingrad. She is popular, but hardly broken. What those who don't own one seldom realise is that she is a one trick pony. Same as slava she relies on enemy broadsides. She will also lose the HE dpm race against pretty much any other t10 cruiser. In short she is balanced. Also the fact that she used to/was intended to be a reward for only the best clan war veterans makes her Shiny in the eyes of the player base. I think she will stay for now. 

Fdr should have been removed patches ago, let's just hope this happens before it becomes more wide spread. 

[THESO]
Players
1,573 posts
18,560 battles
5 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

Stalingrad had her moments, back when you could only bring one BB into Clan Battles and hardly any cruiser could pen 50mm of armor. So clans with a Stalingrad would sneak a second BB into the battle and set up crossfires, while it took their opponent forever to chew up the nose tanking Stalingrad. With CVs and more BBs, the Stalingrad becomes very vulnerable. With her huge turning circle she eats aerial torps aplenty. She needs to stay on the move, a thing she is not designed to do. And she loses any HE-duel. Petropavlovsk has become superior in many situations.

Roosevelt I also own myself. It's just a meme. Rocket planes need 4km distance to hit a target. Any DD player with a working brain can outplay her by just switching off AA or shortening the distance. Then it takes 30s to shorten a squadron by just 2 planes.

The meme are the torps. A perfect drop of 8 torps gets you stuff like this:

Unbenannt.png.57561931d59242647e29e9a9bd76e912.png

But let's be honest. A full spread does 25k damage and no flooding. You won't do multiple drops, since the first one triggers the fighter plane or waiting 30s inside multiple AA-bubbles eats into your plane reserves. For that one drop you fly to your target in slow-motion. Two regular torps do more damage plus an almost guaranteeed flooding. Whoever is incapable of partially dodging a full spread of these slow torps, will likely get citadelled or straight-line into Shima torps anyway. I'm certainly a potato when it comes to CV-play, but I don't see it.
I think a Haku killing your DDs efficiently and fast has way more impact on winning the game. Same goes for Midway AP-bombing enemy radars into oblivion.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
290 posts
4,263 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Stalingrad had her moments, back when you could only bring one BB into Clan Battles and hardly any cruiser could pen 50mm of armor. So clans with a Stalingrad would sneak a second BB into the battle and set up crossfires, while it took their opponent forever to chew up the nose tanking Stalingrad. With CVs and more BBs, the Stalingrad becomes very vulnerable. With her huge turning circle she eats aerial torps aplenty. She needs to stay on the move, a thing she is not designed to do. And she loses any HE-duel. Petropavlovsk has become superior in many situations.

Roosevelt I also own myself. It's just a meme. Rocket planes need 4km distance to hit a target. Any DD player with a working brain can outplay her by just switching off AA or shortening the distance. Then it takes 30s to shorten a squadron by just 2 planes.

The meme are the torps. A perfect drop of 8 torps gets you stuff like this:

Unbenannt.png.57561931d59242647e29e9a9bd76e912.png

But let's be honest. A full spread does 25k damage and no flooding. You won't do multiple drops, since the first one triggers the fighter plane or waiting 30s inside multiple AA-bubbles eats into your plane reserves. For that one drop you fly to your target in slow-motion. Two regular torps do more damage plus an almost guaranteeed flooding. Whoever is incapable of partially dodging a full spread of these slow torps, will likely get citadelled or straight-line into Shima torps anyway. I'm certainly a potato when it comes to CV-play, but I don't see it.
I think a Haku killing your DDs efficiently and fast has way more impact on winning the game. Same goes for Midway AP-bombing enemy radars into oblivion.

I heard the torps can be used to hunt DD's given how you can troll around by turning a full 360 degrees while retaining the aim. Not sure how well it works in practice tho since I've only seen a few (probably cherry-picked) clips. 

[THESO]
Players
1,573 posts
18,560 battles
3 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

I heard the torps can be used to hunt DD's given how you can troll around by turning a full 360 degrees while retaining the aim. Not sure how well it works in practice tho since I've only seen a few (probably cherry-picked) clips. 

It's 180°, not 360°. Also it's about angular speed. You need to be able to fly a half-circle around your target, while the target itself is moving and keeps turning out. The planes are not fast enough to match the angular speed of the target at a distance far enough to still arm the torpedoes. It only works on digging out stationary targets in island cover. It's a very small window. You need to start the turn at the right relative point. Haku AP-bombers can do the same damage while needing less preparation, being less obvious and spending less time in the targets AA.

As you say, it's a troll, an anecdote. The target thinks this is a typical drop indicative of the OPness. But it is very situational and it took me quite a few training room sessions to figure out the distances. It goes like this:

FDR_180.thumb.png.9cfdef5e4eab0ff2b4ccd2035fa04d5d.png

Sorry for the poor drawing. The key insight is that the attacking FDR player needs to have a good feeling for the turning circle diameter. He needs to start the attack run in that position and a typical angle and orientation towards the target. It takes a few seconds to reduce the spread and then the squadron takes 11s to make that turn. If you start too early, you will be too close to the target and your torps won't arm. If you start too late, you will drop too far away from the target and the target has too much time to accelerate out and avoid the attack. You got a tolerance window of about 1s to make a final adjustment, in case the target starts moving, which it will.

It should be obvious this trick has quite a few restrictions and limits. In most cases you don't do this for your own XP, but to drive a target out into the open for your BBs to take the fame. The BB gets the compliment while you get the cancer-remark.

Edit: Oh yes, the DD hunting. Forgot about that. You got a huge gap in the middle of that spread and the torps do 35kts. A DD that falls prey to that wins the Darwin Award.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
3,612 posts
16,470 battles

LOL, what is all that ?

Is if it would only be useful to do this one silly manoeuvre which you have timed in the Training Room.

And about your earlier post: Midway doesn't have AP bombs.

[THESO]
Players
1,573 posts
18,560 battles
13 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

LOL, what is all that ?

Is if it would only be useful to do this one silly manoeuvre which you have timed in the Training Room.

And about your earlier post: Midway doesn't have AP bombs.

Haku then. You use the island to cover your approach and by the time you're spotted you're already too close for flak clouds. The rocket planes are quite nice to reset a DD in smoke, I admit that. But I can do three attacks with normal rocket planes in the time I do one drop in FDR and wait for the cooldown plus I other CVs have fighters to keep DDs spotted for the follow-up.

Sign in to follow this