Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NobleSauvage

Operation: Killer Whale Challenge

7 comments in this topic

Players
1,072 posts

Didn't want to wait until the last day before posting, but in the vein of my previous thread about Newport I thought it would be fun to have a little extra incentive to go out and harpoon that Whale:

See if you can win (and preferably survive) a game of Killer Whale, as many stars as possible; but go all the way around the big island to reach the anchor/end point. That means if you have to reach the North exit, go out west and fight your way around; if it's the West one, go north (presumably sinking the cruiser and battleship and destroying the two outlying shore forts) and fight your way down south in the open sea.

Then, come back here and let us know how it went down (quick summaries, screenshots, stirring narratives, bawdy limericks, etc.); bonus points for using the most inappropriate ship (anyone who does it in a carrier especially to reach the West exit just wins) you have in your port, same as for Newport.

I realise this isn't going to be too much of a challenge for some folks, but hopefully for us mere mortals it might serve as a little extra incentive to try KW again in a new way ;)

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[TU]
Players
477 posts
11,831 battles

The best ship for this is the Graf Spee.

I can destroy the the fist two forts and the CA in the mouth of the port. Then down open see and destroy the two forts hang around and wait for the CA sink it with torps and do the same with the BB. If the exit is north or south I do this every time as the two ships need to be sunk fast.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
513 posts
2,681 battles

E.L as a CV might be decent for this... She has the speed to possibly pull it off and get back to the west exit.. maybe.

I don't think any of the other CV's at T6 would be able to reach the west exit from the north most point in time before the timer ran out.

Hmmm... might try to math this one out in a training room.

Edit:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.49067e9d45cf7bf34e531946bb0ebe09.png

Given the route on KW will require going diagonal through the squares and the CV autopilot ability to mess up I counted about 14 squares on the KW map to pass through to get from the lower entry into the harbour and then pass all the way to the northern entrance and back down to the West exit point.

Given this I added a few extra squares onto my test route as it was passing through the squares vertically for the most part.

image.thumb.png.fc244392f44dcfbe76e1d51940ef5752.png

With a 30 min timer it took E.L without a speed flag 17 minutes  at roughly 35 knots to go from B6 to I6 across to I7 and back up to I7 and then across to B7 and then up a bit further (to simulate the AI doing weird stuff).

So yes, in theory it can be done. Forts at the North might be an issue though if no one else takes them out for you and I bet that your team will grumble in chat. Maybe having a Division would help as your div mates could go north at the start and clear the path for you.

Either way it's going to be tight.

• Cool 3

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
527 posts
6,886 battles
1 hour ago, DeviousDave02 said:

E.L as a CV might be decent for this... She has the speed to possibly pull it off and get back to the west exit.. maybe.

I don't think any of the other CV's at T6 would be able to reach the west exit from the north most point in time before the timer ran out.

Hmmm... might try to math this one out in a training room.

Edit:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.49067e9d45cf7bf34e531946bb0ebe09.png

Given the route on KW will require going diagonal through the squares and the CV autopilot ability to mess up I counted about 14 squares on the KW map to pass through to get from the lower entry into the harbour and then pass all the way to the northern entrance and back down to the West exit point.

Given this I added a few extra squares onto my test route as it was passing through the squares vertically for the most part.

image.thumb.png.fc244392f44dcfbe76e1d51940ef5752.png

With a 30 min timer it took E.L without a speed flag 17 minutes  at roughly 35 knots to go from B6 to I6 across to I7 and back up to I7 and then across to B7 and then up a bit further (to simulate the AI doing weird stuff).

So yes, in theory it can be done. Forts at the North might be an issue though if no one else takes them out for you and I bet that your team will grumble in chat. Maybe having a Division would help as your div mates could go north at the start and clear the path for you.

Either way it's going to be tight.

I am confus

You posted the Aegis map.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
513 posts
2,681 battles
2 minutes ago, Nov_A said:

I am confus

You posted the Aegis map.

Couldn't find the KW map in the training room line up, so picked a one at random and worked out a rough course that would take about the same distance. 

Is KW map in the training room?

Players
1,072 posts

Didn't end up doing as much Ops (or WoWs) this week as I'd planned, but here's one:

Andrea Doria

The Doria did alright, still not greatly impressed with her overall (the poor dispersion when hitting the harbour's shore installations was noticeable even if a single SAP shell can pop each one like a zit if it hits) but I did ok going about three-quarters of the way around the outside to get to the North exit before getting burned down. Seemed to be a reasonably decent team, but after me they started dropping pretty quick; the advantage of KW of course is that we just need half the remaining ships to make it to the anchor zone, so still had high hopes (five players remaining, Budyonny at the exit already, Aigle and Furious on the way).

Then Aigle dies; still no problem; but then our Furious gets to within about 3km of the exit and stops dead in the water, hiding behind a mountain from where the enemy are but with just a short and oh-so-easy stretch of water to cross so we can win the game. Fubuki starts heading for the cap, but was on the wrong side of the fourth enemy reinforcement wave and got pasted. Normandie is miles away across the map, having made no attempt to close with the exit whatsoever. Two of us are in the chat trying with increasing urgency to get Furious to move. Furious doesn't move. I pointed out that we could win if Normandie died instead (would just be two left and Budy is already at the exit). Normandie triggers his heal.

...Red Bayern shows up with the fifth enemy wave and nails Normandie from about 8km into his flat broadside, Normandie dies at last, we win with less than 30 seconds on the clock (Detailed Results screen suggests 13 seconds left at the end but that's after the Operation Complete! message has flashed up).

Five. Stars.

I think that's enough Killer Whale excitement for one week! :cap_fainting:

KW1a.png

KW1b.png

KW1c.png

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this